Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Love this game except combat system

galad2003galad2003 Member Posts: 167

Thread title says it all. I love the game except the whole aim to shoot, switching weapons etc. Put in a traditional MMORPG combat system and I'm there. I suck at twitch games thats one of the reason MMORPG's appeal to me and this one is a bastard child hybrid of a FPS and MMORPG and does neither one well.

Oh well

Comments

• quentin405quentin405 Member Posts: 468

Yeah I agree, Its pretty fun when your doing PvE, but then you get to t2, and starting getting involved in PvP and thats when I quit.. Just wasn't working for me, trying to aim, hotkey, move all at once .  

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

I agree with you guys Love everything but the combat. to twitchy and awkward. Melee isnt too bad but using guns was a PITA.. i hate how mobs would do this constant shuffle/dance in a circle around me while i was trying to shoot them.. wasted so much ammo.. and you can forget long range shooting the hit boxxes were so small  :-/

• alderdalealderdale Member Posts: 301

Instead of using decent AI they just have them performing advanced dance steps, I agree mob  movement is just to goofy for me at this time but I hear its getting a rework.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Originally posted by galad2003

Thread title says it all. I love the game except the whole aim to shoot, switching weapons etc. Put in a traditional MMORPG combat system and I'm there. I suck at twitch games thats one of the reason MMORPG's appeal to me and this one is a bastard child hybrid of a FPS and MMORPG and does neither one well.

Oh well

I find traditional MMO combat systems fairly boring to be honest. I perfer one of two styles, real time aim and shoot style or pure turnbased.

oh...and I really dont like 3rd person view at all which sad to say is required to realistically play this game.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• KellsKells Member Posts: 65

I play FE as melee and I find combat extremely easy and not challenging. I only use my special melee attacks on Bosses and Masters. For everyone else, I just hold down the mouse keys. With melee, you actually do much better getting headshots in if you stick with 3rd person. I also don't do PvP unless forced to. So, I basically agree with the OP, combat is not the most facinating part of this game.

• De4dd0gDe4dd0g Member Posts: 157

Same reason I left, I just couldn't stand the combat system. I mean ive played so many MMO's and I can tell you MMO's 6+ years old that have a better combat system than this.

//Processor//AMD Phenom II x6 (4.6GHZ)//Video//CrossfireX ATI Radeon HD 5850//Motherboard//ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3//RAM//6GB DDR3 2000mhz Patriot//HDD//Raid 0 7200RPM Seagate 1TB//

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

True, unfortunately.  Though for me, using twitch is fine, it's just how it comes out in the game.  I don't get any sense that what I do is working other than seeing numbers flying.  I feel no connection to what's happening on screen whatsoever.

I hope the game survives long enough for them to address it.  I'd hate to see yet another non-fantasy MMO fall on its face.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Originally posted by Kells

I play FE as melee and I find combat extremely easy and not challenging. I only use my special melee attacks on Bosses and Masters. For everyone else, I just hold down the mouse keys. With melee, you actually do much better getting headshots in if you stick with 3rd person. I also don't do PvP unless forced to. So, I basically agree with the OP, combat is not the most facinating part of this game.

Same experience here, Its pretty much just keep the rectile on enemy and click away plus when mobs don't even move its quite easy but also very boring. I've hated the combat since beta but i was lead to believe it had improved and came back to check it, lets just say i wasn't very pleased. I wonder why they don't work on the combat either, every review points out the clunky combat and MANY people have complained about it since beta but the devs have said nothing at all in that regards.

I'm also sorry to say that many of the things that made this game worth checking out and shine with potential in beta have been gone and what we have now isn't all that great, look forward to my reflection in the next week if your wondering what im talking about.

• nclownclow Member Posts: 28

I think a big part of it is that you don't get to make interesting tactical decisions during combat. You shoot the mob until it's dead, and that's it.

Your abilities don't really matter; there is no proper time or reason to select one ability over another. You can debuff the mob, or buff yourself, but since mobs die in a matter of a few seconds that doesn't matter either either. If you're fighting a boss, you simply use all your buffs and debuffs one after the other. You don't have to react to changing conditions, you don't get an opportunity to vary your tactics, and there's never a reason to select one ability over another. If the player doesn't get to make interesting decisions, it's usually a good sign that the system is not fun. FE's infamous floaty combat also adds some frustration to the mix.

Even thought familiarity breeds contempt in the case of WoW, it's still a great example of a game that had a fun and meaningful ability system. I'm growing tired of other games where abilities are so generic as to be indistinguishable.

• dzonesdzones Member UncommonPosts: 121

I totally agree with the lame combat system. I was excited to try this game and coming out of the gate it seemed nice and very immersive. I started crafting and felt the game had some promise...until I started to experience the combat. As posted previously, it just seems very uninteresting and extremely hard to get into (the combat portion). I didn't make it through the trial as I found myself doing what I could to avoid the combat at all. No point in playing and paying for something that just doesn't do it for me.

Kinda bummed really..not much of anything very good to play out there right now it seems

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

I'm starting to feel the same way (currently playing the 10 day trial). The mobs just dont do it for me...and due to bland mobs the combat in general just seems slow and boring. I come from DFO so I guess I've been pretty spoiled in the mob AI and combat department. Sadly, no MMO compares to the combat in DFO right now imo....and AV is making it even better next month lol.

I'll give it another few days but Fallen Earth is likely a no-go for me. Hopefully Earthrise keeps me interested.

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• KienKien Member Posts: 520

I have to agree... combat isn't the greatest. I'm on the 10 day trial and I don't find combat particularly enjoyable or challenging. With my melee character at least, I roll over pretty much everything expect boss mobs. My rifle character has a bit more trouble, mainly due to my frustration at having to swap weapons.

Other than the combat, the game is pretty cool.

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

I saw many FE gameplay videos and it seemed too slow paced to me. Melee combat seem really horrible.

Gameplay of Fallen earth is not Fallout 3 and its a big Step down from it.

Compared to DF, DF melee and even range got 100 time more impact then that.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Oh well

I agree 100%. I would pick up the game in a heartbeat if they'd redo the combat system, it's atrocious. The game has so much potential too.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

The combat is slow and boring. I love the other aspects of the game but combat just put me off.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

I just started my first day of the trial, and so far I can't tell of the combat is that atrocious or is me that's atrocious?

I find that scoped rifle combat's pretty cool and deadly, but unscoped pistol or melee combat to be more difficult.

Of course, all the controls are awkward and new, and I'm really fumbling my way around right now so I'll have to play it some more and see if it becomes more natural.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• levsixlevsix Member UncommonPosts: 363

The combat is poor in this game but the world is fantastic. It sounds like others in this thread have played longer than me so I can understand getting bored with the combat after a while.

I read in the patch notes, for the next patch, that they are working to revamp the combat system to make it more responsive and fast paced.We'll see how that goes.

Have a winner and don't go on a game over! Does your avatar make you powerful in real life? Check out the Mystical Enders gaming community. www.mysticalenders.com

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

Oh well

I have not played in some time but I found the combat kind of clunky for a twitch system compared to a game like Global Agenda.  I don’t mind point and aim systems but they have to be fluid, streamlined and work well.  None of those things described FE.

• angrymimeangrymime Member Posts: 154

I play pistols and some melee and I think the combat system is a blast.  Had a ton of fun yesterday when I saw a guy running around pvp flagged.. I hit my flag and had a blast.

In pve, the concept of aiming my pistols and getting rewarded for headshots etc to be a welcomed change from the typical mmo where you target lock and have half a screen of hotkeys of moves to choose from.

Could there be an improvement in the combat system?  I know that those who don't like it are not few and far between.  A friend of mine tried it  out and didn't like switching in/out combat mode.  Some people take to it easily others dont want to bother.  So far they've done a good job of giving players what they want but not to the point of compromising the quality of the game.  I hope this continues and that more people discover and join FE.  Im having fun.

• HypodermicaHypodermica Member Posts: 154

Originally posted by nclow

I think a big part of it is that you don't get to make interesting tactical decisions during combat. You shoot the mob until it's dead, and that's it.

Your abilities don't really matter; there is no proper time or reason to select one ability over another. You can debuff the mob, or buff yourself, but since mobs die in a matter of a few seconds that doesn't matter either either. If you're fighting a boss, you simply use all your buffs and debuffs one after the other. You don't have to react to changing conditions, you don't get an opportunity to vary your tactics, and there's never a reason to select one ability over another. If the player doesn't get to make interesting decisions, it's usually a good sign that the system is not fun. FE's infamous floaty combat also adds some frustration to the mix.

Even thought familiarity breeds contempt in the case of WoW, it's still a great example of a game that had a fun and meaningful ability system. I'm growing tired of other games where abilities are so generic as to be indistinguishable.

This was a good post.  I think you summed up the frustrations with the combat system very nicely.

If I were to add anything, it would also be my dissapointment in the combat animations. 

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

Originally posted by Hypodermica

This was a good post.  I think you summed up the frustrations with the combat system very nicely.

If I were to add anything, it would also be my dissapointment in the combat animations. 

Agreed. I barely left the newbie area because I found the combat extremly bland compared to other MMOs. I've heard their working on the combat but until its "fixed" I personally have 0 interest in FE.

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• srsh12345srsh12345 Member Posts: 61

Incredibly good post.  Combat just wasn't fun & I found myself just firing off debuffs in any random order.  Spent some time in Sector 2 and then gave up.  Made me sad too because combat was the only thing that I didn't like. 

First time a MMO made me enjoy crafting & exploration & non-fantasy setting.  So many good things about this game, just can't get past the combat.