Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another MMO Bites The Dust - Cash Shop Stealthed In

Comments

• ShadewalkerShadewalker Member Posts: 299

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

Originally posted by maji

Bites the dust? A cash shop alone is no reason for that. AoC has a cash shop.

I'd love for you to show me where AoC has a cash shop? Bet you can't. The only "items" you can buy are for the game are character slots and server transfers, which is hardly a "cash shop" and are also both normal practices of most P2P mmos. And please, don't try using the same failed argument as others by giving links to Collector Edition upgrades, as they are not part of a "cash shop" but merely Collector Edition add-ons since Funcom decided to go digital rather than have a separate boxed CE for RotGS.

Talking of failed arguments, I'm still waiting for someone to show me how Fallen Earth has bitten the dust.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by Shadewalker

I'd love for you to show me where AoC has a cash shop? Bet you can't. The only "items" you can buy are for the game are character slots and server transfers, which is hardly a "cash shop" and are also both normal practices of most P2P mmos. And please, don't try using the same failed argument as others by giving links to Collector Edition upgrades, as they are not part of a "cash shop" but merely Collector Edition add-ons since Funcom decided to go digital rather than have a separate boxed CE for RotGS.

Talking of failed arguments, I'm still waiting for someone to show me how Fallen Earth has bitten the dust.

It hasn't bitten the dust yet, but it's been building up a mouthful in preparation for biting for a while now.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Originally posted by Shadewalker

for me it has bitten the dust

they may make a mint off their cash shop which is just fine but i fail to see how this will garner them more subs - it isn't likely so the cash shop is there to try to soak their existing subscribers

• kobietrumankobietruman Member Posts: 105

Originally posted by kirawats

Originally posted by kobietruman

Originally posted by KillHurt

Come join the GW2 movement, we are a happy bunch ;)

our last true hope......................

Sorry to say this, but GW2 likely to have cash shop also. Based on the current cash shop on GW:

http://www.guildwars.com/products/extras/default.php

https://secure.ncsoft.com/cgi-bin/Store.pl?dnv=3364845931&action=toggleCategory&category=4

you seem to forget that you aren't also paying for a subscription

• Costs for MMOs have risen? Really? Can anyone show me proof for that?

Maybe for creation  of an MMO, but server costs and such?

I think the recent popularity of cash shop has everything to do with making fast money and little with increased costs.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

Originally posted by reijan

Costs for MMOs have risen? Really? Can anyone show me proof for that?

Maybe for creation  of an MMO, but server costs and such?

I think the recent popularity of cash shop has everything to do with making fast money and little with increased costs.

You contridicted yourself.  If the creation costs more then they have to have more debt while making the game at interest that they have to pay back in short order after the game is released.

• gandalesgandales Member UncommonPosts: 472

What I find amusing is people bashing FE for this, while saying that Turbine model is ok. FYI, since being VIP doesn't give you automatic and unlimited access to everything in the Turbine cash shop I can argue that actually this is the same model that has been criticized here. 

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

It thougth the dog looked cool so I bougth it. Meh.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• TazzasaurusTazzasaurus Member Posts: 33

seriosly though, I can't understand how people thought this game was great to begin with?

I was completely boggled from this from the very first time I played this game in beta and I dont think I'll ever understand how it's ratings got even half as high as they were.

I liked the different pace and feel to the game, it offered a degree of originality in a genre over-packed with bland EQ/WoW clones.

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

People like different things Tazzasaurus, it's that simple.

One gamer's gold is another's scrap copper.

One of my best friends and I have very similar tastes in games, but he couldn't get into FE whereas I couldn't stop playing it.

Neither of us thinks less of the other for it, in fact he said the other evening that I was lucky to have a game I enjoyed playing so much, as he's SOL on the MMO front at the moment, and back playing single-player stuff.

...and no, I didn't suggest he try FE again, he, just like you, knows what he likes and doesn't like.

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767

I love how this forums seems to be populated by gaming activits instead of gamers. Whiny, QQing activists that crap their pants at the mere mention of a cash shop. Guess what....cash shops work. Not only do they work but the majority of people have nothing against them. Most people do not care about how others play becouse it very rarely effects them. There will always be someone that is better than you, has better gear and so on. It makes no difference whether this is becouse of playing for months or buying shit in a cash shop.

• SerenesSerenes Member UncommonPosts: 351

I agree and disagree with Rzep. The fact of the matter it comes to balance, can I get the same lvl of gear as the person who bought theres they bought so they don't have to spend time, I spend time and I get the better end of the deal if I can get the same lvl of gear. I mean 2hours or 10bucks I'm going to go with the 10 bucks. Now if the gear is lets say +9000 attack power and my dinky time spent gear can only scratch +7000 I'm going ot be pissed, Because no matter how hard I work or how much skill I have they will always have the advantage.

• ThrawlThrawl Member Posts: 271

Originally posted by gatheris

Sub cancelled and no you can't have my stuff :)

and just to avoid the noise

I'm paying a subscription fee which IMHO gets me 100% percent of the content of the game - i don't care if the item in the shop is a pink tutu with purple spots it better be earnable/available in game

if/when the game goes ftp - THEN i won't care

This

Our spirit was here long before you

Long before us

And long will it be after your pride brings you to your end

• SomnulusSomnulus Member Posts: 354

Originally posted by kaiser3282

Originally posted by lornphoenix

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Did you bother to look into this at all or did you just see exrtas available for a fee and freak out?

It a matter of principle to some people, and there is there nothing wrong with that.

Funny thing about principles is they only seem to apply to a very limited thing when it suits someone who wants to cry about something, but they dont stick to em. Do the people with these "principles" also pull over, turn off their car, throw away their drivers license, and refuse to ever drive again because "OMG someone with the same car as me drove by and they had more extras that they paid for an i dont have them and its not fair that they have a better car".

Yeah, driving may not be the same situation as a game, but youre still sharing the road with those people, just like sharing the gamespace, yet you dont see people throwing a bitch fit because people bought extras for their own car with their own money, why does it bother people so much that someone else in a game has something they dont?

Absolute worst analogy ever... hands down, just absymal. For crying out loud, at least pick something that is in the same ballpark economically, socially, or needs-wise.

Abbatoir / Abbatoir Cinq
    Adnihilo
    Beorn Judge's Edge
    Somnulus
    Perfect Black
    ----------------------
    Asheron's Call / Asheron's Call 2
    Everquest / Everquest 2
    Anarchy Online
    Shadowbane
    Dark Age of Camelot
    Star Wars Galaxies
    Matrix Online
    World of Warcraft
    Guild Wars
    City of Heroes

• frostsmithfrostsmith Member Posts: 111

Bites the dust? A cash shop alone is no reason for that. AoC has a cash shop, WoW has a cash shop, Aion has a cash shop, and all in addition to a subscription fee. Did it kill them? Doesn't look like it to me.

WoW has a cash shop?
  • Vulnero87Vulnero87 Member Posts: 182

Originally posted by frostsmith

Bites the dust? A cash shop alone is no reason for that. AoC has a cash shop, WoW has a cash shop, Aion has a cash shop, and all in addition to a subscription fee. Did it kill them? Doesn't look like it to me.

WoW has a cash shop?

People have their own definition of a cash shop.  To me a cash shop is when a game sells items that give you a advantage.(pretty much all f2p games.)  To others, it's anything that you pay for to change anything in game. ie. name change, change how you look, etc.  So if you look at the latter definition, then yes, all of those games have a "cash shop".

Everyone has opinions, but does that make them the universal truth??? NO!

Originally posted by Vulnero87

WoW has a cash shop?

People have their own definition of a cash shop.  To me a cash shop is when a game sells items that give you a advantage.(pretty much all f2p games.)  To others, it's anything that you pay for to change anything in game. ie. name change, change how you look, etc.  So if you look at the latter definition, then yes, all of those games have a "cash shop".

Meh, I just call that a service. CS has things you can use. Name Change and etc. is just someone messing up on the creation screen.
  • patrikd23patrikd23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,155

Originally posted by Vulnero87

WoW has a cash shop?

Good post I have to agree on this. 

I find CS in any P2P just greedy on the company side. Usually some of the items is an advantage for your character..isn't that why I am paying a monthly fee?
  • KellsKells Member Posts: 65

The dog with 4 items slots has questionable value as the pet follow function is rather bugged. The website does not show specific specs on the googles but does state they are similar to a set of googles requiring a few more levels before equiping. Clearly, the issue isn't the power of the items in the cash shop... they really are fluff. As another gamer who dislikes cash shops, I worry that the presence of any kind of  cash shop indicates that Icarus is having some financial trouble.

• MuridanMuridan Member Posts: 94

Won't miss this game when it goes. Had a craptastic time trying it out, complete with shady GM's, rude player base and klunky controls/animations.

Fans of this game will say I'm a hater, but I stand by my own personal expierence in the game.

Happy trails, Fallen Earth.

• KellsKells Member Posts: 65

Originally posted by Muridan

Won't miss this game when it goes. Had a craptastic time trying it out, complete with shady GM's, rude player base and klunky controls/animations.

Fans of this game will say I'm a hater, but I stand by my own personal expierence in the game.

Happy trails, Fallen Earth.

Muridan, you are already not missing the game as you voluntarily stopped  playing it. You don't need FE to go offline to achieve that.

I have never needed the services of a GM, so I have no experience with them being shady or otherwise. They are usually available as there is always one on the HELP chat channel, that is certainly different from the big name mmos.

The player base doesn't affect me much as I play the game as an online solo experience, but I do chat with them on either the REGION or FACTION chat channels and they have been a fun bunch. They very frequently offer unsolicited help (such as offers to mail me something that I might need). Overall, I think the player base is fine.

The animations are klunky, in my opinion. The controls, though, are very straightforward. From a combat standpoint, this is a very easy game to play. This is not a game offering challenging combat... at least not with melee. It probably is more challenging for ranged. If you are a crafter, the game is considerably more challenging.

That's my personal experience in the game, at least on the points that you hit.

Regardless of whether or not you like the game, the question remains: Is the presence of a tiny, weeny cash shop a significant indicator in the where this game is going?  I like and play Fallen Earth, at least as a short-term play experience, but I was not happy to see any cash shop appear.

My experience of the community in FE has been very positive. The Help channel has been just that, a channel where people have provided a constant supply of help to those needing it. I've never needed the assistance of a GM in FE (and very rarely in any MMO) and haven't really understood over the years why some people seem to have such extensive experience of dealing with GM's! They do a good job of moderating the Help channel in FE and rightly so as it is a Help channel and not a "This game sux compared to WoW" channel.

My suspicion is that a new player who early on has fallen foul of a helpful community and a GM doesn't have far to look for the cause of his problems.

Yeah, I think this game is still one of the best out there. This CS won't push me away from it. But if I am starting to see items that are way OPed and only in CS...Then I will cancel my subscription. It's pointless paying a monthly fee and then having to pay another to get the best out of it. Either make the game free with CS or get rid of the CS and keep the subscription.