Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nasty virus

FaliceFalice Member Posts: 329

I recieved an e-mail bomb (right in my inbox) in my hotmail account which I didn't open but tried to delete (add to junk/ report phishing) and BAM, I was hit with a gnarly virus.

It won't let me run/open any anti virus, including Vipre. I haven't been able to download any other trial softwares either.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• ErstokErstok Member Posts: 523

Boot in safe mode, then sweep your computer.

When did you start playing "old school" MMO's. World Of Warcraft?

• FaliceFalice Member Posts: 329

So the virus/worm won't prevent the AV software from opening/running properly while in safe mode? Also could I install a new AV software while in safemode (a hard copy)?

• fourleaffourleaf Member Posts: 16

several ways to get rid of virus's.    disable system restore,  then boot into safe mode.  run a program of your choice.

aquire a bootable virus scan disk and run that.

track down bogus registry keys and make sure to remove installers from run key.  track down the file in root directory.

remove hard drive and scan it externally.

if its just a simple virus that keeps u from running programs i do this.    i disable restore, boot into safe mode and run a program called r kill.  i then go to msconfig and disable everything from startup.   i then run combo fix.  followed by rouge kill and sd fix.  i then run any virus program the customer has along with  super anti spyware and malware bytes.

if that doesnt work,  u gotta go through the registry and the hard drive. www.2-spyware.com has a wealth of information as far as whatt keys, dlls and what not to delete.

the only real problems com ein when the virus attatches to a a boot file or somethin glike that.   in which case allways try to do a chkdsk /x/r.   if that doesnt work go to a repair install if u are using xp.   then try to rebuild the mbr.

when shit truly hits the fan, or if ur using windows vista and windows 7   and you cannot  do a repair install.... clone the drive and reload.

ive been a tech for a while... ud be surprised how easy and complex virus can be

Originally posted by fourleaf

several ways to get rid of virus's.    disable system restore,  then boot into safe mode.  run a program of your choice.

aquire a bootable virus scan disk and run that.

track down bogus registry keys and make sure to remove installers from run key.  track down the file in root directory.

remove hard drive and scan it externally.

if its just a simple virus that keeps u from running programs i do this.    i disable restore, boot into safe mode and run a program called r kill.  i then go to msconfig and disable everything from startup.   i then run combo fix.  followed by rouge kill and sd fix.  i then run any virus program the customer has along with  super anti spyware and malware bytes.

if that doesnt work,  u gotta go through the registry and the hard drive. www.2-spyware.com has a wealth of information as far as whatt keys, dlls and what not to delete.

the only real problems com ein when the virus attatches to a a boot file or somethin glike that.   in which case allways try to do a chkdsk /x/r.   if that doesnt work go to a repair install if u are using xp.   then try to rebuild the mbr.

when shit truly hits the fan, or if ur using windows vista and windows 7   and you cannot  do a repair install.... clone the drive and reload.

ive been a tech for a while... ud be surprised how easy and complex virus can be

Honestly, I barely got any of that, it's way above my understanding of computers. I know how to get into safe mode, but that's about it, actually I'm running Vista, so it'll be my first time trying that out too.

Here's the thing, I'm going to need to download a software to kill this thing, any suggestions on which one is best? Also can I be connected to the web while in safemode w/o having this thing throwing stuff at me and blocking downloads?

Also any thoughts on how I can recover my hotmail, since I checked from my iPhone, they somehow got a hold of my WoW (quit it about 6 months ago) account and have been forwarding scam/spam into my inbox by the hundreds.

Thanks again.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Malware bytes will most likely do the trick, obviously download and run in safe mode with networking.  You will also most likely need to repair the damage it caused.  So getting something like TuneUp Utilities trial to fix the issues should repair your system.  As far as anti-virus go, I recommend ESET NOD32.  It cost $30 a year, and it does a good job without hijacking your system.  Also if you are not using it, turn on UAC.  This will prevent most viruses from ever taking effect.  If you do this make sure to not run programs as an Administrator if you don't need to or else you will need to give permission every single time.

Change your hotmail password or ask hotmail for support to get your email back.

Originally posted by Cleffy

Malware bytes will most likely do the trick, obviously download and run in safe mode with networking.  You will also most likely need to repair the damage it caused.  So getting something like TuneUp Utilities trial to fix the issues should repair your system.  As far as anti-virus go, I recommend ESET NOD32.  It cost $30 a year, and it does a good job without hijacking your system.  Also if you are not using it, turn on UAC.  This will prevent most viruses from ever taking effect.  If you do this make sure to not run programs as an Administrator if you don't need to or else you will need to give permission every single time.
    Change your hotmail password or ask hotmail for support to get your email back.

Sadly Malware bytes wasn't effective... I will try some of your other suggestions though.
  • fourleaffourleaf Member Posts: 16

Im sorry I havethe same problem when i talk to customers and clients too haha.

Download a program called combofix.  its free.   Boot into safe mode with networking abd run combo fix.   Virus's arent that smart.  It might not let you open the program, but you can right click and "Start" combo fix.   Try renaming combofix to anything else as some virus's know to target certain anti virus.

• santiagocutesantiagocute Member Posts: 1

Hallo Falice

Yes, every computer virus is very disturbing to every user. And, choosing a good anti-virus might be a solution. Thanks

Santiago

Bisnis Online

Sorry for the necro, but I just wanted to thank those of you that offered some genuine tips, it really helped out.

Thank you.