Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This site is filled with hate, and no one stops them

13»

Comments

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by Cecropia

Originally posted by jaxsundane

Originally posted by Teala

That's because the moderation around here has been bad for a long time.   You get a warning for the stupidest things and yet some people can nerd rage and personally attack others and nothing is done.     Such are the forums of MMORPG.com.   I seriously doubt they'll change anytime soon.

To the op I hate to see such an active community member go and I hate to say it but I tend to agree with Teala twice I've been warned on this site once was for saying I was in a beta (didn't say anything about it other than I was in it) and the other time was for making a post that was political in nature (which I did in response to someone else) and I'm not making excuses because I am aware in both cases I did actually break the rules I was accused of but I have noticed a pretty large number of posts and posters who personally attack others intelligence,circumstance, etc..  In mmorpgs defense it's possible they warn alot of those folks and we just aren't aware but as fast as I got jumped on something tells me as the op says this might not be the highest priority for them.

Whoa! You've had two warnings. You must enjoy living on the edge :)

Just report the little buggers man, you have to realize that the mods are simply not going to catch every little insult and slap that occurs on these forums. Be realistic, really.

I've acted up on this site and felt the power of the ban hammer. Several times :)  I've also been wrongly banned and things were rightly reversed. Also, I can't say enough about how professional and reasonable this site's Community Manager really is. 

If you require something a little more quiet and peaceful, Massively is that way. This site is so much more than anything out there though. After all the BS, that's why we're all really here.

Yeah I'm a rebel, but really me personally I'm a big boy and am very rarely the target of personal insults the like of what I described but as a forum we are reading what everyone is saying to everyone so I've seen stuff that wasn't right I'm no snitch and it doesn't involve me anyway so <shrugs>.  I'm just making an observation of something I have noticed

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• MoretrinketsMoretrinkets Member Posts: 730

I read these forums for a laugh, the OP made me laugh lol

• FayredeFayrede Member Posts: 28

Originally posted by Kordesh

Originally posted by Teala

That's because the moderation around here has been bad for a long time.   You get a warning for the stupidest things and yet some people can nerd rage and personally attack others and nothing is done.     Such are the forums of MMORPG.com.   I seriously doubt they'll change anytime soon.

This about a thousand times. Hell, I was given a one month ban just for pointing this out not too long ago(no I wasn't stupid and made a thread just to complain about the moderation, but someone started a discussion about it and of course, can't have that! so they banned everyone who posted in it and deleted the thread.) as well a a shorter bans for saying something untoward about a lead moderators favorite MMO.

Wait Wait.....Hold on a minute here. You got banned for voicing an opinion about a GAME? O.O;...............

Ahem...Anyways, I think the only reason someone should be banned if they are harassing someone based on their sex/race/gender/sexual orientation or just plain griefing someone to where its abusing manner. However, internet is about freedom of speech. If you think X game sucks donkey, you should be allowed to voice said opinion. They are like assholes everybodys got one.

As far as trolling goes, that happens inside MMO's and in every forum I've ever been active on. It's always going to happen and you just gotta ignore it. I've been a moderator, so I know that you can't keep up wit everything so just report them if they say anything that falls into those categories.

Oh and I've never been banned....................yet bwhaha <3

[size=8]PLAYED: TSO, SWG, WOW, EQ2, Vanguard, FFXII, AOC, AION, Guild Wars, Second Life

Waiting: SWTOR, FFXIV

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Seriously though I do agree with OP. The mods here sucks. I stopped coming back for a long long time, and now I don't post nearly as much as I used to. i wish the mods would be a little more active... I mean these are the worst forums i've been on as far as whinning, complaining, attacking others, ect.

As others had said, a change would be nice, but it's unlikely.

The easiest fix.. post something.. then don't read any replies to your post. That's what I do most of the time. ^^

• pepsi1028pepsi1028 Member Posts: 471

Originally posted by MikeB

Originally posted by Elikal

Dear Mr. Stradden, MMORPG team

I am here for many years, and for a long time I had enjoyed being here. I took some absence for a time, trying to get some distance after finding my positions and argumentations confronted with personal attacks and the most low mockery ("get a job and move out of your basement") on and on, and I am just tired of it. I understand a moderator can not see and control everything. But the way people are treated here, not just me but others as well... it has just evolved in a way I don't want to face anymore. I know a popular website like yours probably won't care, but it is my necessary act to say it nontheless. This site has too much become a place of hate and attacks.

As such, I can not tolerate to spent time in a place where I am not protected from personal attacks. I am sure those who always just wanted to silence me will rejoice in what shallow victory they can claim. May it be so. I do not make myself further the object of people's hate, so I am taking my leave. Permanently.

As to you who only had hate and mean words for me: may you find what you gave to others. You are so full of hate and anger, I pity the life you lead. It is a sad way of dealing with other human beings, and life is too precious, too short to waste it with being bad to another just because you disagree with him. Maybe one day you think about it what you doing to others.

Elikal

Actually, we do care. A lot. That is why we have stepped up moderation significantly since the beginning of this year, and while the forums are still not perfect, no forums ever are. If you are being harassed, attacked, etc. by another user the best thing to do is to simply report them and not dignify them with a response. Our moderators patrol the forums constantly and review reports all the time. If you find that your report was not handled in a satisfactory manner you can feel free to contact me directly at [email protected] or [email protected] so I can look into the matter personally.

I disagree with those of you who are posting to say we are not doing enough, it's easier to notice the things we don't do than the things we do, especially when we do our jobs right. Our moderators work very hard day in and day out, and it is often a thankless job. While errors do occur, we have no issues admitting a mistake when one is made and correcting it.

Leaving the forums is certainly your choice, however, we encourage you to be part of the solution and help us identify posts/users that are in violation of our Rules of Conduct so we can do better at our job and provide you with forums that are conducive to constructive and intelligent discourse. That is our ultimate goal here.

I hope you'll stick around!

Is there any way to ignore people?  Ehh, I think I just need a break from MMOs.  I'm getting pissed at a couple of moderators who are trying to handle over a million members.  We can't all be happy, but seriously, is there a way to block or ignore?  Sorry about my earlier post.  I just think I need a break....

†Pepsi1028†

PEPSI!!!!!
    Get out of your box already...

• jayartejayarte Member UncommonPosts: 450

I'm sorry to hear that you have come to the point of deciding to leave the site, Elikal, and I completely understand your point of view.  I try to limit the threads I read now, and once the back and forth nonsense starts, I stop reading (which is a shame because I miss out on the later posters, some of whom might actually have something interesting to say).

Although there are some articulate, interesting posters, there are so many of the other kind that sometimes I despair of a world which produces people filled with such hate that they will attack another poster on the subject of games, of all things.  I mean, come on!  The "us and them" attitudes in the different camps are depressing, and the lack of insight into just about anything equally makes me despair..

I hope, though, that you will reconsider your decision because if all the sensitive, intelligent posters leave, what will we be left with?  If not, then I wish you well.

Regards,

Jay

• FreedomBladeFreedomBlade Member UncommonPosts: 281

I HATE HATE

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Hmmm......Well, iv'e been ban hamerd more than a few times now, and mostly I deserverd it. I think the mods do a very good job considering. Don't think more moderation is the right way to go here to be honest. I think its a double edged sword. A lot of very good discusions have come from hate threads in the past and I feel we would loose something if the mods had to come down more severly on posters and thread deleteing. There are always going to be arseholes on these forums as there is in the human race. Let's face it this hobby is always going to atract an awfull lot of arseholes but it also atracts a lot of passionate and inteleigent people as well.  I think if you want to make a nicer community you have to help make it yourself. Running away does not strike me as the best way forward.  Though I can totaly apreciate where the op is coming from.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Its quite fantastic when MODS step on each others toes too. You can witness thre different decisions about a thread by three different MODS, and the thread did not even have a new post in it.

One comes in, cleans up the thread, leaves a play nice warning. Next mod comes in, edits more posts and vanishes, then the third comes in, and locks it.

There wasn't even a new post in the dam thread. So clearly, your modes have no idea about the rules, or rulings. They just run ramshackle over the place, do whatever based on there OPINION and not any rules. Many times, they are AFTER A POSTER, and just want to give them a bad day, because they are nothing more than elevated users. If you talk bad about a game they like.. good bye.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

First off. Moderation. I think it's more than adequate around here. Yes, we all get the occasional stupid warning, but everyone makes mistakes. 9 times out of 10, when I get a warning for a post I make, I knew before I clicked Post Message that I'd probably get in trouble. That's good moderation. I went through with it because the guy was too stupid to not take a jab at, but I wouldn't insult someone who merely disagrees with me (though I admit, I do use "fanbot," but only when I really think the literal meaning of the term applies. Kind of like calling a duck a, well, a duck. I also call some of the MMO vets old farts, but that's one of those playful jabs. Most of them are probably younger than 40, so they're not really "old." They just act crotchety and nostalgic sometimes, and while I can understand their stance on issues, I still find it amusing).

Even if someone were offended by me calling them a fanbot or an old fart, I'd explain that my intention wasn't hostile and I didn't mean it as an insult. Hopefully, they'd understand and move on. Others, however, definitely try to hurt you.

Around here, real insults are a last resort. When someone knows they can't refute your argument, they'll start flinging the mud. I know you're sensitive, Elikal, but I wish you'd recognize your victories and delight in your opponents' desparation rather than letting them bring you down with their final act. Words have no power. Words are just letters, lines and curves formed into a sequence. They derive their meaning from the intention of the person writing them and the person reading them. That's why blacks can call other blacks the N-word with no consequence, but a white man who does it out of spite will be punished. If someone starts insulting me around here, I take the insult as a victory prize or ignore it completely because the guy is being stupid. If someone I care about in real life insulted me, I'd be hurt. In both cases, the offender's intention is the same, but I give far more meaning to the latter than to the former. That's just how you gotta live your life in these days of advanced communication and anonymity.

I tried to explain this to my old friend many years ago, but he was very similar to you, Elikal. Homeschooled, highly religious, he was hurt pretty easily. Even by me, though I never tried to of course. He had to go to public school in the 6th grade and he had a really rough time, but eventually, he adjusted and was able to fit in. There were many good things about school that he enjoyed, and he was willing to put up with the crap in the beginning to take part in them. I suggest you try to do the same, because as Teala said on the first page, there's too many good apples to worry about the bad ones.

But hey, what do I know, right? I don't really know you, so you can ignore everything I said. All I really wanted to do was to defend the site's moderation, because it's not like they don't try. They can protect you to an extent, but you have to do your part as well (meaning block users, report, ignore, etc). Whatever you decide to do, good luck.

• DirkzenDirkzen Member Posts: 144

You're getting mad at people and taking them seriously.

On the internet.

Honestly?  C'mon now.  If you let the trolls piss you off and you respond to them, and just quit,  then they win.

Mmorpg.com is a very fine, informative website that caters to nearly everyones personal tastes from around the world.  With this popularity and passion comes hordes of trolls and flamers lurking around every corner.  Yes, this site is where old, jaded, angry and depressed gamers come to die,  but not all of them actually believe in what they're saying.  You have to take each and every reply with a shaker of salt,  and just step back for a minute and take a breath.

There are many fine, highly intelligent people on this forum who I agree AND disagree with wholeheartedly,  but the trick is to sift through the retards and bullshit to find what you like.

If you quit, they win.

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Well I just got my first warning ever by posting in this thread that I think there need to be a tad more modertation.. so go figure. Apparently the previous post i made in this thread was "trolling" ... but then I got another message that it was taken away.. so maybe one of the mods was just giving me what I asked for? lol?

• negentropynegentropy Member Posts: 241

Originally posted by natuxatu

Well I just got my first warning ever by posting in this thread that I think there need to be a tad more modertation.. so go figure. Apparently the previous post i made in this thread was "trolling" ... but then I got another message that it was taken away.. so maybe one of the mods was just giving me what I asked for? lol?

Maybe it was the part where you said, "The mod here sucks..."

Tact isn't your strong suit, is it?

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -Winston Churchill
  • jayartejayarte Member UncommonPosts: 450

Duty  Calls

http://xkcd.com/386/

Gotta love that cartoon ^^

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by Aercus

Controversy seeds activity, activity seeds more page hits, more page hits increases ad revenues. mmorpg.com is a million dollar business, NOT a reliable gaming/forum/discussion site. Get with the program or find somewhere else, unfortunately...

Totally disagree here. MMORPG is quite good as such things go. One can always find information about the latest trends, news and reviews. What one makes of that is up to the individual involved.  Here, Massively and Ten Ton hammer are the main sites I use for games. 

Forums wise its pretty tame.  Those with thin skins, or who take things said by strangers personally, should be cautious, or find some other activity to take part in.  Conversations on subjects of interest to a large number of people, tend to be contact sports.  The best moderators are *not* heavy handed, nor do they act as censors. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."

Originally posted by Elikal

Originally posted by brostyn

Simple strategies to ignore the true trolls and flamers:

1) If you're personally attacked report the user and block the user. You'll never again see their post unless someone quotes it. It may be deleted it may not. IMO, this helps purge of the site of people who only want to insult others. They get enough warnings and deletions they will leave, or mend their ways. Don't respond to the trolls or flamers.

2) Grow a thick skin. Some people think that when others disagree with them they are being personally attacked. Don't be this guy/gal.

3) Realize this is a forum where people are going to have opposing viewpoints. Probably has more to do with thick skin. People are going to like things that you don't. You can't control that. Say your piece withtout retaliating with personal attacks.

4) There is no reason to write a 300 word response to someone else's response. I hate when people do this, and we end up with quote box the size of a 10 story building.

5) Again, don't respond to flamers/trolls. There is nothing worthwhile in it. Realize there are people here whose response to anything they disagree with is "UR A IDIUT! UR SO MORON!". Realize you're the smarter person. Don't jump in the mud after them. Don't respond to them. What good would it do to argue they're wrong? They obviously aren't that intelligent, so don't bother.

I wish I were that strong. Fact is, when someone says something mean, it hurts me, no matter how silly. I am hurt. :(

Its all a matter of perspective. Why do you care in the least what *strangers* say? They do not know you, nor do you know them.  They can only hurt you(or make you mad) if you allow them to. Its not a matter of how strong or weak you are,  Why would you take anything some stranger said seriously/personally enough to be hurt?  Just use the block button and move on.

Originally posted by MikeB

Seriously guys, trolling and attacking each other in a thread I am actively paying attention to? Come on.

Got to love it MikeB ^^  Seriously, as I said these forums are pretty tame. From time to time they get out of hand, but thats to be expected, all things considered. Having survived the Usenet wars in years gone by, believe me nothing here is even light years close to that. ^^

• drkoracledrkoracle Member UncommonPosts: 120

These forums are carebear heaven, if anything they should fire the mods and let people say what they want. Can't look at anyone funny on these forums without a warning. Ill prob get a warning for this :)

Love the site, hate the forum.

• ZarcobZarcob Member Posts: 207

The whole internet is filled with hate.

The morning sun has vanquished the horrible night.