Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it worth joining EQ2 now?

2»

Comments

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

I would like to rescind the comment I made earlier about money being relatively easy to obtain, and I would like to replace it with, "money is relatively easy to obtain after level 70."

Harvesting rares and collection items for the lower tiers sells so low on the broker, it's almost impossible to have enough cash to actually purchase spells upgrades off of the broker let alone mastercrafted armor.  Sure, players can just farm the rares themselves to give to armor crafting guild mates, but using that as a defense is simply defending a broken system.

I much prefer the trainer NPCs of WoW, Vanguard, LoTRO, and other games over having to buy spells from other players as no matter what happens to the economy, the prices of spells will always remain relatively constant and within reach of a level appropriate player.  The gear is one thing.  I find the quest gear in EQ2 to be relatively garbage and far below what 70% of the playerbase is wearing, so the lack of the ability to purchase gear off the broker may disturb certain people, but for others, the quest gear will do fine.  Spells, on the other hand, are almost required to be upgraded to expert in order for them to be useful, especially with sub par gear.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Originally posted by SuperXero89

Spells, on the other hand, are almost required to be upgraded to expert in order for them to be useful, especially with sub par gear.

Not until 80+

I am leveling an alt right now - almost 100% solo - and he has a mix of Apprentice spells, with a few Adept1s.  This is given that i have pretty much and unlimited budget and can buy whatever I want.  There is just no point to it until you reach higher levels. 

Just prior to expac, I decided to level up my level 70 character that I hadn't touched in over 2 years to 80.  I did very easily without buying any new spells or gear until i got to 80.   Stuff is only worth investing money in if you plan to stay at the level for a while. 

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• SoludeSolude Member UncommonPosts: 691

No high level character in their right mind would buy something off broker to up TM.  You chrono and just fly through old content without breaking a sweat.  A lot more fun than standing around waiting for the next raid and you can easily fill your bags in 30m to an hour.  Don't confuse for sale, with selling.  Yes adepts sell but not for great money.  I sold mine for what the vendor would pay plus 1-10g depending on level.  So even level 90 adepts weren't lining my pockets.  Certainly not enough to put a dent into the 24P the jewelers want for MC gear and the 12P kab clusters cost.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Originally posted by Solude

No high level character in their right mind would buy something off broker to up TM.  You chrono and just fly through old content without breaking a sweat.  A lot more fun than standing around waiting for the next raid and you can easily fill your bags in 30m to an hour.  Don't confuse for sale, with selling.  Yes adepts sell but not for great money.  I sold mine for what the vendor would pay plus 1-10g depending on level.  So even level 90 adepts weren't lining my pockets.  Certainly not enough to put a dent into the 24P the jewelers want for MC gear and the 12P kab clusters cost.

Even "flying" through low level content is very slow for getting the number of things you need for TM.  I guess it's server-dependant, but on my server more people i know buy the stuff rather than wasting time.  It's easier to make 10p and buy 50 drops tahn to mentor and wait to get 50 drops.

Level 1-20 treasured/adepts cost me 5-10g each (lowest prices), 20-30 was 10-12, 30-50 was 15-25, 50-60 was 30g min and at that point i started transmuting my gear from the bank.  

At last check T9 adepts were selling for 70g-1p just for transmuting purposes.  Average legendary drops sell for 5-15p, so if MC costs 24, it's cheaper to buy Legendary, which is probably better anyway.

Anyhow, your mileage may vary based on server.  I just went through all this and didn't see any of the issue in this thread.  Other than providing my alts with final level gear, i run them completely independently (as a new player would) and i've not felt "the pinch" for more cash or better gear in order to be able to play as I leveled.

I'll log in tonight and provide a price update to the above.  Maybe things have changed since last update.

Also, just fyi, last night I spent approx 4 hours leveling my alt from 86 to 88.  100% solo, 100% via doing solo quests that everyone does in the new zones.  In the process - without selling anything on broker (i sold all the quest rewards to vendor and mailed adepts to my main for muting) - I made approx 45p from the quest reward coin and selling the quest reward items.  Then I spend the 45p on collection items to get some extra AA - i did not buy any new gear and i still continue to play in my level 80 stuff - i'll get 90 stuff once i start doing group instances.  This is not to show off "omg i am so uber at making money", this required no skill on my part, it was just from doing same stuff as everyone else.  

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO