Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All Points Bulletin: Which Side Are You On?

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

All Points Bulletin Lead Gameplay Designer Jesse Knapp writes this new APB dev journal explaining the game's two factions and asks the question: Which side are you on?

Hello, my name is Jesse Knapp and I have been involved in the development of APB for the last three years as the Lead Gameplay Designer. I'd like to take a moment to talk about the most important choice you'll make in APB: Criminal or Enforcer.

Some background...

San Paro is a city at war with itself. With neighborhood gangs and City Security Act backed private security forces looking to expand, everyone is recruiting.

The question is: which side will you join?

Read Which Side Are You On?

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• BademBadem Member Posts: 830

can I be a corrupt policeman?

Lookign forward to installing my Key to The City tonight :)

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

This isn't "Chicagoland..." ;)

Just say no to corrupt policemen!

I downloaded the installer, installed it.... but I fear having to download it again from Steam, anyone know what the deal will be?

• negentropynegentropy Member Posts: 241

What side?

The side where I get to keep my $50.

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -Winston Churchill
  • PapaB34RPapaB34R Member Posts: 300

crims ftw, enforcers are... well less fun, they can do most of the things crims can do its just not the same thing. Its all legal/border-line legal. Crims got more to do, more havoc to wreck and more enemies to fight (since crims also fight eachother ocassionaly) not to mention the lame fighting style of the enforcers with stun grenades and arrest action. I really hate that one, annoying as hell (both of them I guess)

Anarchy vs Facism

Anarchy ftw

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Looks very interesting, particularly where the players make a game within the MMO themselves. We can’t rely on MMO’s to spoon feed us, the community can be as innovative as any game designer.

• matrixvsmatrixvs Member Posts: 179

just wondering putting aside the monthly pay issue ... how menny players can be near eachother and i dont mean max map numbers i realy mean like ppl doing the same "grab the bad guy" cant realy see 50/50 in one area

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

I think its more like 100/100,

• FreedomBladeFreedomBlade Member UncommonPosts: 281

Which side am I on?

None as multiplayer in GTA 4 is much much better.

• PretaPreta Member Posts: 103

Originally posted by negentropy

What side?

The side where I get to keep my $50.

apb is so shallow both sides are pretty much the same.  i'll be on the side that gives the $50 i thought i'd spend on apb to a game company that actually has a clue wtf they're doing instead.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Neither. GTA clone I'll pass thank you.

• xephonicsxephonics Member UncommonPosts: 672

criminal, as i do not care for cops.

My god has horns.... nah, I don't think he is real either.

• FreedomBladeFreedomBlade Member UncommonPosts: 281

This game really is not worth the money as it is basically CS in a city. No depth to the game play. kill and be killed. Boring. Nothing to see here. Move along.

• BesttheiswowBesttheiswow Member Posts: 301

Side of not spending 50 euros in a game like this...no content, small instanced gameplay..poor performance, poor gameplay specially driving..not enought to pay for a game like this..even free wouldnt keep me playing for more then 1 hour a day during 5 days and quit...Global Agenda is 10x better but still cant keep people hooked for more then a few hours...

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Neither. GTA clone I'll pass thank you.

If only it were a good GTA clone, that'd be fine.  Maybe even great.  But it's not.  They're trying to ride GTA's coattails, without putting anywhere near the time, money, thought, or creativity into the game that Rockstar put into GTA4.  No, APB isn't a GTA clone.  It's a crap GTA ripoff.

They're going to sell boxes, because it reminds people of GTA, but this game is going to tank hard shortly thereafter.  They're not even having an open beta?  Then wait until people start talking about the game, after they've blown $50 on it, before getting all excited about what side you'll choose.  You'll see, it really doesn't matter.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

All  I wish to see is the character creator in other games.   ^_^

• TwwIXTwwIX Member Posts: 203

The non paying side.

• negentropynegentropy Member Posts: 241

Originally posted by Teala

All  I wish to see is the character creator in other games.   ^_^

Agreed. They would probably make more $$ licensing their cc system to other MMO companies.

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -Winston Churchill
  • RaythorRaythor Member Posts: 134

I am getting ready to log in and see what all the fuss is about!

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Downloading the game now for S&Gs. It probably won't even run, and even if it does, I fully expect to go back to RDR's multiplayer within an hour.

Besides, its a subscription MMO with a cash shop. No thanks.

• khaelfkhaelf Member Posts: 73

Originally posted by matrixvs

just wondering putting aside the monthly pay issue ... how menny players can be near eachother and i dont mean max map numbers i realy mean like ppl doing the same "grab the bad guy" cant realy see 50/50 in one area

It doesn't really matter how many players can enter the same district, it's not like you're going to get to fight or interact with them in any way... The way their shitty PVP system works is, you get a mission to (for example) pick up a suitcase and deliver it somewhere, and at the same time some guy from the opposing faction gets a mission to defend the suitcase and, if he fails that, stop you from delivering it. You are now flagged and can fight each other until the time runs out; there's always a timelimit. You can both call for backup and invite more people to join you, the teams don't have to be even. That's how it works in the first two or three districts. Maybe it gets better later on? I doubt it and frankly, I don't care. Graphics wise, the game is ok at best, and yet its performance and stability leave a lot to be desired. The combat system is so dull and random that I wouldn't want to play it if they were giving the game away for free. And I'm sure they will be at some point, as there's no way a joke of a PVP MMO like this is going to get very far with that kind of price tag and subscription model.

• sabbataisabbatai Member Posts: 4

I am on the side that gets 100KB/s and a 5000000 minute estimated download time.

:)

The game seems, from what I hear to favor the Enforcers... so I'll likely go Outlaw because I like a challenge.

"You ain't gotta be locked up to be in prison"

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Already uninstalled it. Outside of the character creator, which is great albeit a bit confusing, the actual game is horrible.

GTA 4 multiplayer is better than this.

As far as the OP, I'm on the side that's not going to be playing this.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

So great character creation options,shallow and repetitive gameplay and a heavily instanced world...are you sure your nto all playing Cryptic's next MMORPG?

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Uninstalled in an hour. Had some weird, buggy shadows thing going, character creator was nice but very confusing (couldn't get a female avatar's makeup to show up or change AT ALL), gameplay and performance was shit. Looking as bad as it did with everything on low, there was simply no reason for it to be running as badly as it was. At least Global Agenda runs acceptably on low/medium low settings, and it looks a lot better.

Gameplay... get mission, fight for a while, succeed/fail, repeat. Other online games in this style are done much better for the most part. There is also nothing done to balance the teams as far as I can tell, leading to one person attempting to complete a mission against 3-5 others. Unacceptable.

Oh, and the load times? UNACCEPTABLE. 5 mins for initial load, 4.5 mins to load up the zone map, and another 2 mins to actually zone in. I never thought I'd play a game which made the load times from the unpatched version of 'The Witcher' look tame.

RTW should have made Crackdown 2 and added a robust online mode instead of wasting time on this piece of trash. But, I guess they thought that wouldn't have made them enough MONEY, eh?

The fact that they expect a box fee, a sub fee (or hourly fee, depending on how you look at it) and have a cash shop is just insulting.

If you like it, then fine. I for one will be amongst those who choose to take their money elsewhere. Such as saving it to buy Crackdown 2, or RDR DLC, or Global Agenda, or TF2, or any other online shooter.

• lethyslethys Member UncommonPosts: 585

Now that I've played some beta, I must say I'm disappointed.  Car mechanics are not tight at all, load screens that last seemingly forever, not the degree of customization that they led on to believe (though it is still amazing levels of customization).

After a long time waiting, I'm gonna pass on this one.  Although, Enforcers would def be the faction of choice because everyone is going to be a criminal.