Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Try final fantasy

slimmifireslimmifire Member Posts: 18

Has been wow player for some years, but have stop playing for some time now.

I'am in looking for a new mmo and final fantasy sound interesting. Should i wait to the new xiv or give xi a try ?

Comments

• zeowyrmzeowyrm Member Posts: 746

Originally posted by slimmifire

I'am in looking for a new mmo and final fantasy sound interesting. Should i wait to the new xiv or give xi a try ?

Go ahead and give XI a try.  You've got about a year or so til XIV.  You can find the game on most sites/stores for fairly cheap.

• NekrataalNekrataal Member Posts: 557

A year or so... really Zeo? More like 6 months. Even less if you consider the OB.

To answer the op now.

I say go ahead man, its cheap & you'll have plenty to keep you occupied until FFXIV. Just don't expect everything to be handed to you like in WoW. Read, take notes, explorer, make some friends & enjoy.

You wont find a better community than in that game. Right there, its more than enough reasons to give it a go.

• slimmifireslimmifire Member Posts: 18

Also what i looking for. Have it now and give a try. WOW is more a how do is say it

arghh now and days.

• ChudzUKChudzUK Member UncommonPosts: 38

It will be completely different to what your use to, just dont compare it to WoW when your playing it and learn the ropes and youll enjoy it :)

• DysehunterDysehunter Member UncommonPosts: 18

Originally posted by slimmifire

I played FFXI for about a year and then moved on to WoW for 6 months now im waiting for the new FF online.

In six months or less the new FF online comes out and the open beta even sooner (from what ive heard you will be able to transfer your beta character to the final version, info from a games tester frind)

Anyway FFXI is a complete grindfest compared to WoW, do not expect to get to max level within 1-2 weeks, it takes a very long time and you REALLY have to work for good armour and weapons.

All that said the community is one of the best i have encountered along with SWG's community, i highly recommend getting FFXI for the PC as there are a lot of guilds (linkshells) that are pc based and use ventrillo based communication, good for getting to know your guild (linkshell) and great for instances and such

Graphically its pretty but kind of jerky even with a good pc as the game engine is quite ancient, my personal advice is try it and it will give you a taste of what the new version will be like as they will be roughly the same art direction wise.

• Well if WoW is the only other MMO you've played then you might be in for a bit of a shock. Its really nothing like WoW. It's quite difficult at first (and can seem a bit tedious) but once you get to know all the easier ways of doing things this game becomes great. Also, if you like the WoW kind of playstyle (casual) then maybe you should wait for FF XIV because this will be more casual than FFXI.

• Majin_JubeiMajin_Jubei Member UncommonPosts: 47

Originally posted by Dysehunternew FF online.

In six months or less the new FF online comes out and the open beta even sooner (from what ive heard you will be able to transfer your beta character to the final version, info from a games tester frind)

I highly doubt that, at best people participating in OB will be able to reserve their character names and character builds and not the progress they made during testing.

• DysehunterDysehunter Member UncommonPosts: 18

Originally posted by Majin_Jubei

I highly doubt that, at best people participating in OB will be able to reserve their character names and character builds and not the progress they made during testing.

They did it with FF XI so its a possibility they might do it for the new one, i lvld my galka monk to lvl 18 on the xbox 360 beta and then before the beta finished they announced that you could transfer your character to the final release, which i thought was awesome. and this was done because people wanted it, so heres hoping :)

• PlutonicwoesPlutonicwoes Member UncommonPosts: 343

They have said multiple times characters will not transfer.  

Easy to find on google.

They are different games and they will both run at the same time.

They have made mention of long time players perhaps getting an item or something, but they have said definitely no transfer from FFXI to FFXIV

• Majin_JubeiMajin_Jubei Member UncommonPosts: 47

Originally posted by Dysehunter

They did it with FF XI so its a possibility they might do it for the new one, i lvld my galka monk to lvl 18 on the xbox 360 beta and then before the beta finished they announced that you could transfer your character to the final release, which i thought was awesome. and this was done because people wanted it, so heres hoping :)

Allowing character transfer from a beta that happens well after launch is much different than allowing character transfers at launch. XI already had an established player base which was top heavy during the 360 Beta.

• scuubeedooscuubeedoo Member Posts: 458

I gave up on trying FFXI cause it has a custom downloader that puts your PC in a PS2 style dumb mode that downloads millions of tiny uncompressed files, one at a time, which takes like forever, even if you have the fastest internet connection on planet earth. If you don't mind that sure go ahead, there are trial versions of the game anyway, and they don't even ask for CC info.

"Traditionally, massively multiplier online games have been about three basic gameplay pillars – combat, exploration and character progression. In Alganon, in addition to these we've added the fourth pillar to the equation: Copy & Paste."

• WaldoeWaldoe Member UncommonPosts: 642

Originally posted by Plutonicwoes

They have said multiple times characters will not transfer.  

Easy to find on google.

They are different games and they will both run at the same time.

They have made mention of long time players perhaps getting an item or something, but they have said definitely no transfer from FFXI to FFXIV

It would be good if you understood what he meant. He is saying transfer your character from ffxiv beta to the live game. He did not anywhere mention transferring a ffxi character over to ffxiv. That would never happen. So read and understand the post before commenting please.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

Originally posted by Dysehunter

Ummm, ff11 was out long before xbox 360. You probably mean they let you transfer you character for the xbox360 release. Not a big deal, since you play with ps2/3 and pc users that are already established.

• ThebozzThebozz Member UncommonPosts: 117

I would say go ahead and give FFXI a try.  I am currently thinking of returning to FFXI in anticipation for FFXIV.  Depending on your gaming schedule you might not even get one job to max level in this amount of time.  Meaning there is plenty to keep you occupied if you enjoy it.