Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CCP knows, but did you ?

124»

Comments

• CodenakCodenak Member UncommonPosts: 418

Hmm, has anyone thought that to reduce the penalties currently in eve would make the game totally different from what it is now, which would probably cause a massive outflood of subscribers, and that outflood would put possible new subscibers off trying it as they will be very vocal about the changes.

CCP have their game, its successful and profitable, if you want a different style of space game, wait for one to come along, rather than trying to change the only successful one we have.

@Bart...

Have you considered that the 80% of the playerbase (ccp stated in one of the fanfests, believe it was one of the economy vids) that dont go to low/no sec actually makes low/no sec the irrelevant part of the game? Just something for you to consider :)

They redid sov in attempt to jazz things up in low/no sec, but they didnt push hard enough for fear of the current 0.0 alliances backlash, so its stagnating again.

This is just my opinion of course.

• XianthosXianthos Member Posts: 723

A off-topic question.

How many uniq users are playing EvE online? As every one i know who plays eve got 2-X accs. Its kinda longer you play, you must have more then one account or you use en mass plex :s

People talk about 330-350k users, but in fact if you count every twink you would be around xxx xxx?

EvE doors

See the best doors on EvE-on!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Most people talk in terms of 300+ Subs, not unique users.

And most people do not have multiple accounts, the figures tossed round range from 15-40%.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Dont think that information has ever or could ever be released as billing is handled by a third party company.

• SomeguynamedSomeguynamed Member UncommonPosts: 69

Originally posted by Xianthos

A off-topic question.

How many uniq users are playing EvE online? As every one i know who plays eve got 2-X accs. Its kinda longer you play, you must have more then one account or you use en mass plex :s

People talk about 330-350k users, but in fact if you count every twink you would be around xxx xxx?

CCP announce earlier in one of the forum posts that only 6% of the population or so have more than 1 account.  I forgot the exact percentage, but I rememeber at the time I thought it was surprisingly low. 

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662

Originally posted by Codenak

Hmm, has anyone thought that to reduce the penalties currently in eve would make the game totally different from what it is now, which would probably cause a massive outflood of subscribers, and that outflood would put possible new subscibers off trying it as they will be very vocal about the changes.

CCP have their game, its successful and profitable, if you want a different style of space game, wait for one to come along, rather than trying to change the only successful one we have.

As a PVE'er im not a big fan of Eve, however even I can recognise that Eve does what it was supposed to do and no more.  Which is fine.  I would personally never suggest for Eve to change to suit my own personal tastes, however it would be nice if it could.  I just don't hold out hope for it.  Instead, I keep an eye on the horizon for other space based MMOs, perhaps ones that are more PVE centric than Eve, and yet have learned lessons from Eve.

Theres a very pve-centric co op out right now, called Startrek Online, doesnt even have much of a death peanlty (or didnt when i took a look) :)

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662

Originally posted by Codenak

Theres a very pve-centric co op out right now, called Startrek Online, doesnt even have much of a death peanlty (or didnt when i took a look) :)

Yes, and whilst STO does indeed have some of the hallmarks found in a PVE game such as a storyline, it lacks the level of quality that players expect in an MMO.  Its crafting system is bloody awful (if you can call handing in a few items to get and upgraded version a "crafting system").   The actual content in the game isn't enough to keep someone who plays MMO's more than a few hours per week amused.  Its character progression is confusing.  Up until recently it didn't have anything resembling a death penalty.  And lets not forget that the environment actually cannot hand full 3 dimensional avatar control. The only time you are actually in what looks like space is when youre in an instance.  Long distance travel (i.e. between systems) actually takes place on a 3 dimensional board game like environment that reminds you of the 1980's film Tron.

God only knows why Eve has a "warp" scenario, and yet an MMO that is based on the the very franchise that Eve stole the idea from doesn't have that same travelling environment.  It's quite sad really.

All in all, STO is a very poor attempt to create a space based MMO by hacking an engine that was never supposed to be used for full 3 dimensional travel.  Trust me, I was in the Beta and was playing the first month.  Its not what you could call a comparison with the likes of Eve.  It certainly will never come close to having the Eve level of crafting / economic complexities that should be inherent in ALL mmo's.

Hopefully Jumpgate Evolution and Black Prophecy MAY prove to be worth a look.  Although I get the feeling that both are more PVP orientated than PVE.

• ryuga81ryuga81 Member UncommonPosts: 351

Originally posted by Tarka

Hopefully Jumpgate Evolution and Black Prophecy MAY prove to be worth a look.  Although I get the feeling that both are more PVP orientated than PVE.

AFAIK Jumpgate, having a direct control over ships, will be mostly centered on dogfights aboard small ships/fighters, so i don't really expect it to have a huge economy/crafting.

Black Prophecy on the other hand might have better chances, but still not much is known about it (well, i didn't actually check in months, maybe i should :P)...

• wow.pwns111wow.pwns111 Member Posts: 108

@OP it's Overall with a V not a W. Thank you...

"We have barred the gates, but can not hold them for long...
    They have taken the Bridge and the Second Hall...
    We can not get out. The end comes.
    Drums, drums in the deep. They are coming..."

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

Originally posted by ryuga81

Originally posted by Tarka

AFAIK Jumpgate, having a direct control over ships, will be mostly centered on dogfights aboard small ships/fighters, so i don't really expect it to have a huge economy/crafting.

Black Prophecy on the other hand might have better chances, but still not much is known about it (well, i didn't actually check in months, maybe i should :P)...

BP is in closed beta. It wil be F2p model. They will release an expansion one day with Avatars. I don't think it will even dent Eve.

JG has been completely redone. Time will tell. I don' think it will dent Eve.

• AstralDioAstralDio Member Posts: 4

EVE is an excellent game in many respects.  I played for almost 2 years.  I have to admit that the extreme losses that are possible can easily tax a players ability to remain with the game.  I did leave the game at first after 6 months because due to a bug I lost my first Apocalypse that I just got and haven't even fully outfitted yet.  I petitioned CCP for a redress and they gave me the nice version of "F-off".  It would not have been hard for them to check the logs and find out that I was not trying to lie my ship back from an honest loss.  Despite that, I desided to come back and play some more for another year.  During that year I moved into lower security space, played in a corp and an alliance.  A couple of wars, sieges, and painful losses.

But it was fun!  No matter how you slice the pie, there is no other MMO out there that can evoke the same level of adrenaline and fun that EVE is capable of.  Knowing the losses you can take if your ship gets popped really puts things into perspective.  When you and your buddies warp in with a massive fleet of  50+ ships against another 50+ ships you get to develop a sense of camaraderie that just does not develop under normal circumstances.  I can assure you one thing, EVE's game structure has the uninteded benefit of weeding out the average idiot, and that is a big bonus, but that consequence also keeps away sane yet more easy going players that still have value to add to the game.

With all that said, keep in mind, EVE is exactly what it is supposed to be!  An Alliance vs. Alliance, Corp vs. Corp, Merc vs. Pirate, where players can establish territory and learn the responsibilities that come with that.  With all that being said, my beef with EVE is actually a little different.  I cannot stand the one sided nature that can occur if you get attacked by a pirate out of the blue on your way to a plex on a mission, on a delivery trip, moving, or what have you.  With the right equipment layout an aggressor(s) can completely shutdown your ship and turn you into a sitting duck.  In addition to that, there are no collision physics in the game.  You cannot avoid, manuver, or tactically destroy your enemy with genius piloting.  It's pure rock-paper-scissors and you just hope you have the right outfit when you engage or that you can escape as soon as you realize you bit off more than you can chew.

EVE is for serious gamers, not casual gamers.  There are already plenty of casual games like WoW where everything is tied up with a cute little bow-tie.  There should be more games like EVE, where a player can really have a stake in the game world and also have a significant impact because of their decisions.  EVE simply offers that where no other MMO does.

If you believe something was lost due to a game error and the first response to your petition is the logs show nothing, always, always, escalate it. You might not get what you want but you will get something better than "The logs, they showing notheenk!".

• CyberWizCyberWiz Member UncommonPosts: 914

Originally posted by Xianthos

A off-topic question.

Quote from CCP Kieron :

"I don't have exact numbers, but less than 20% of the EVE community have 2 or more subscriptions. The other 80+% are single account users."

http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=461283&page=2#36

And since EVE keeps growing that number should decline as new players tend not to get 2 or more accounts in the beginning, also highsec players have less need for 2 or more accounts and as stated before alot of the players reside in empire space.

If you are interested in subscription or PCU numbers for MMORPG's, check out my site :
    http://mmodata.blogspot.be/
    Favorite MMORPG's : DAoC pre ToA-NF, SWG Pre CU-NGE, EVE Online

• CyberWizCyberWiz Member UncommonPosts: 914

FYI :

EVE Online breaks PCU record !

The new record is 60,453 pilots online at 19:53 GMT on 6 Jun 2010.

History of previous PCU :

Go to PCU : Largest Shards

If you are interested in subscription or PCU numbers for MMORPG's, check out my site :
    http://mmodata.blogspot.be/
    Favorite MMORPG's : DAoC pre ToA-NF, SWG Pre CU-NGE, EVE Online

• mqragnarokmqragnarok Member Posts: 21

Yes, OP is right - EVE is dying.

In other news:

- June 6: EVE breaks PCU record

- April 20: CCP Games wins President of Iceland Export award

- March 10: CCP Licenses Unreal Engine 3 to power Dust 514

- CCP games is hiring additional developers... jobs advert available at EVE's front page;

As an active member of the Northern Coalition I must say that lag is present (in major engagements), but not unbearable. And yes, lag != fps.