Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lifers Starting to Bail!

Comments

• bstiffbstiff Member Posts: 359

Originally posted by raistalin69

Originally posted by Darth_Osor

Another marketing clusterfrack has even the CDF up in arms: http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=155130

I swear every section of Cryptic is as incompetent as the others.  Even the fanbots know they have no prayer of getting 5 people to buy this turd, much less subscribe past the first month.

oh wow darth, maybe its just me but that seems like a new low. could u start a thread with that link?

Looks like dstahl is adding to the flames.  Some of the lifers are calling him on it too. Guess he's just showing what cryptic actually thinks of their customers and most vocal supporters.  One guy was talking about STO becoming a virtual star trek toy box with all the add ons and no additional content. I can't really say he's wrong anymore.

Edit: Is it Friday already?

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

Before any more pitchforks get handed out... let me offer up some info before you go burning down the village.

The 3-Nacelle Future Enterprise config will be an exclusive variant of a T5 Galaxy ship we are planning to add to the game as we increase the skillcap at various points in the future. In fact I see plans on the schedule to add T5 versions of the Galaxy, Intrepid, and Defiant class.

So yes - the Future Enterprise - 3 Nacelle config is an exclusive "variant" and may be the only T5 Galaxy for a while, but there will be ways to get similar ships in the future - they just might not have the 3rd Nacelle - or front mount single phaser cannon.

you may now go back to your regularly scheduled riot...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is that before or after people started a riot in the store over a promotional sign?

If it was before - I could see your point - but once people are calling for the store to be burned, I say its fair game to call a riot a riot.

Expecially when most people wanted an alternate way to get a T5 Galaxy - and that has been in the plans the entire time - it just required a few minutes for us to find the thread and respond with the answer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Callasan

...It's not gonna have a working phaser cannon on the underside of the saucer...

Actually, it does have the bad-ass phaser cannon on the underside of the saucer - it is a unique power that comes with the ship (ie not a weapon slot) and fires a narrow cylindor beam that (I believe) will be capable of hitting multiple targets

above are 2 dstahl posts( cryptic employee)

so if you can sucker 5 other people into subbing for more than the intial 30 days or your willing to pay for there accounts yourself, we will give you gear that no one else can have, well until we add other stuff that will have strings attached to?

oh and btw as a cryptic employee i think your being rude for not just accepting this?

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

• SpiderpopeSpiderpope Member Posts: 69

Originally posted by Dstahl

you may now go back to your regularly scheduled riot...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is that before or after people started a riot in the store over a promotional sign?

If it was before - I could see your point - but once people are calling for the store to be burned, I say its fair game to call a riot a riot.

And this is a perfect example of why i quit STO and refuse to buy another Cryptic product. Customers raise legitimate complaints, and the Dev's reply with snide comments and mock the complainers. Why anyone would willingly pay to be treated like this is beyond me.

Your friendly neighbourhood Spider-pope.

• KitKat1KitKat1 Member Posts: 33

All i can say is EPIC... FAIL ... to this last mess!

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

Originally posted by Rydeson

Originally posted by xaldraxius

If they hadn't sold to Atari and had arranged a deal with a better publisher I believe Cryptic could have released a better game. As it was with Atari doing so poorly they needed to rush both CO and STO out and so they were forced to decide on what they could do in the shortest amount of time and hope the people would buy it. Not only buy it but love it enough to pay for extra stuff in the item shop.

Given time and a low investment and upkeep vs. moderate income profit margin they could turn them both into decent games, but I don't believe they have enough subscribers.

Sorry to disagree, but I doubt much would of been different.. Things might of been a lil pollished to last 6 months instead of 6 weeks.. but for me.. the #1 reason why STO stands no chance of being a AAA mmo game is that piece of sh*t engine.. I can't stand it and it's like playing tying both hands behind your back.. 

It's "would have been" and "might have been".

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

So not that i realy care any longer.... But i logged in at 3 time zones. GMT / PST and  GMT-7 i was trying to find out how i could work out who is still arround so i asked 124 players in different instances in different regions.

And out of the 124.

87 was lifers

31 was six month / 1 year subs

6 were casuals / who just resubed for 1.2

Total players i counted was 580 - 605 - 650 ingame avaraged across 3 loging times.

This can be done even though the game is instanced you can still get a login count for that play session. It is however my opinion that there are now only lifers and long term sub's playing this game with very little new blood. As at all points in SB1 the instances where every sparsly populated.

This is an unsubstanciated report from my personal investigation because i was bored stiff. So if you dont like it then just dont eat it . As for the so called active fleets in game they all lifers with there alts.

Hence a good day to die. ... unistalled ..and now forgoten. This was my last post for this failed game i am going to forget it like so many before me and NEVER BYE A CRYPTIC PRODUCT AGAIN!

Make it so !

....and another lifer bites the dust ...!

• PogmahonePogmahone Member Posts: 22

I'm a lifer and to be honest there really have not been many who have asked for there money back. And those that cryed about it and sat in a cornor to pout returned to the game by now. Yes people have taken a month off and not resubed but thats comon in mmo's

• abbabaabbaba Member Posts: 1,143
    Originally posted by MMOrUS

Hahah how can a lifetime subscriber quit? they've got a lifetime subscription, they've stupidly handed over a large sum of money in the faith it's a good game, in essence they are fubar'd if they dislike the game and I've no pity for them.
    I'l never ever pay for a lifetime sub, as has been said here before, it takes the power out of my hands because the developers have gotten all the money they are ever going to get out of me if I paid for a lifetime sub, monthly is how I pay and monthly is how I will always pay, if I dislike the game I just cancel and move on, just like others really should do.

QFT, my thoughts exactly. People that thing they are saving money by buying a lifetime sub are really shortsighted.

You're exactly right - once they get you to buy the lifetime sub you lose all your power in the business relationship, you become the bitch and Cryptic becomes the bitch slapper.

Buying a lifetime to a Cryptic game is also doubly stupid, they are well known for their cash shop models. I would bet money that STO will be F2P/item shop at this time next year, and the lifers can do nothing but complain about it.
  • DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by Pogmahone

I'm a lifer and to be honest there really have not been many who have asked for there money back.

Then you weren't paying attention to the boards, in particular the official STO foums, during the first 30 days after STO launched. The one who have asked for their money back have long since gone, and all you have left are those lifers who are either content with the games as is, couldn't get a refund for whatever reason, didn't ask for a refund for whatever reason and pop in occasionally when a new update appears to check it out, and those who decided to to eat the loss and just stopped playing. I can guaruntee you that Cryptic still counts all of them as active accounts (excepting those who have had their accounts permanently banned for whatever reason) for purposes of subscription numbers, no matter how long it has been since they logged in.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

Originally posted by Dinendae

I'm a lifer and to be honest there really have not been many who have asked for there money back.

Then you weren't paying attention to the boards, in particular the official STO foums, during the first 30 days after STO launched. The one who have asked for their money back have long since gone, and all you have left are those lifers who are either content with the games as is, couldn't get a refund for whatever reason, didn't ask for a refund for whatever reason and pop in occasionally when a new update appears to check it out, and those who decided to to eat the loss and just stopped playing. I can guaruntee you that Cryptic still counts all of them as active accounts (excepting those who have had their accounts permanently banned for whatever reason) for purposes of subscription numbers, no matter how long it has been since they logged in.

you could also add that even if anyone did at this point it would be edited from the official sto forums by cryptic (and probably is). if you go to the sto boards on the weekend when cryptic seems a litle lax on its policing you always find i quit threads still. 

this statement is hilarious, it would be the same if toyota stated that "no one has complained to us themselves about a fatal accident they were killed in due to brake failure.".......... gee , really?

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

Originally posted by raistalin69

you could also add that even if anyone did at this point it would be edited from the official sto forums by cryptic (and probably is). if you go to the sto boards on the weekend when cryptic seems a litle lax on its policing you always find i quit threads still. 

this statement is hilarious, it would be the same if toyota stated that "no one has complained to us themselves about a fatal accident they were killed in due to brake failure.".......... gee , really?

If someone did request a refund now, Cryptic would be well within their rights to deny them (except possibly in Europe; I am unsure of how all the various laws apply to this over there). However during the initial free thirty day period, people had the right to request a refund since the paid game time hadn't started yet (they were all still within the free thirty day period that everyone recieved). I know a lot of people were getting refunds with no problems (other than trying to get ahold of Cryptic in the first place), while others were denied (hopefully they were smart enough to either press their case or do a chargeback).

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• PogmahonePogmahone Member Posts: 22

Lifers always act so big and bad and think they are entitled to everything and then rage quit because theres a bug. But as many of them have said that they come back after some down time becasue they have a lifetime. And to be honest I think the peolpe who payed the $300 lifer sub are nuts. At least I got mine when it was on sale and I played the beta so I knew what I was buying and so far cryptic seems to be listening to what the players want and put it in the game.

Lifers always act so big and bad and think they are entitled to everything and then rage quit because theres a bug. But as many of them have said that they come back after some down time becasue they have a lifetime.

Actually, no: The ones that you see saying that are just the ones who still bother with the game. You are not seeing all the lifetimers who have received a refund or just walked away from the game; those players have moved on. In regards to the sense of entitlement lifetimers have displayed, I have only seen this in STO. I can't speak for Hellgate: London or Champions Online lifetime subscribers, but in LotRO I never saw any of the lifetimers there demanding everything (the current "free" to play drama notwithstanding). It has only been in STO where I have seen lifetimers with this sense of entitlement, and that is Cryptic's fault mainly (though those lifetimers acting this way must share in some of the blame): Cryptic should have left things alone when the game launched (i.e. whatever special offers the lifetimers recieved should have been it), but they made things far worse when they kept giving lifetimers special perks after launch.

Sure most of those things were fairly trivial (blue forum names, captain's table), but it fed into the player's egos to the point that they actually were demanding that Cryptic forgo the monthly subscribers needs and cater to the lifetimers; the 'reasoning' behind this was that only the lifetimers had made a commitment to STO. While true in the sense that they had indeed paid a large sum of money in advance, it was the monthly subscribers (single and multi-month) that were the important ones; eventually the lifetime subsciber fees would have paid for itself, and all Cryptic would have to rely on were the true subscribers. So yes; some of STO's lifetimers were acting like spoiled brats, but Cryptic created that situation in the first place.

• bstiffbstiff Member Posts: 359

Originally posted by Dinendae

Lifers always act so big and bad and think they are entitled to everything and then rage quit because theres a bug. But as many of them have said that they come back after some down time becasue they have a lifetime.

Actually, no: The ones that you see saying that are just the ones who still bother with the game. You are not seeing all the lifetimers who have received a refund or just walked away from the game; those players have moved on. In regards to the sense of entitlement lifetimers have displayed, I have only seen this in STO. I can't speak for Hellgate: London or Champions Online lifetime subscribers, but in LotRO I never saw any of the lifetimers there demanding everything (the current "free" to play drama notwithstanding). It has only been in STO where I have seen lifetimers with this sense of entitlement, and that is Cryptic's fault mainly (though those lifetimers acting this way must share in some of the blame): Cryptic should have left things alone when the game launched (i.e. whatever special offers the lifetimers recieved should have been it), but they made things far worse when they kept giving lifetimers special perks after launch.

Sure most of those things were fairly trivial (blue forum names, captain's table), but it fed into the player's egos to the point that they actually were demanding that Cryptic forgo the monthly subscribers needs and cater to the lifetimers; the 'reasoning' behind this was that only the lifetimers had made a commitment to STO. While true in the sense that they had indeed paid a large sum of money in advance, it was the monthly subscribers (single and multi-month) that were the important ones; eventually the lifetime subsciber fees would have paid for itself, and all Cryptic would have to rely on were the true subscribers. So yes; some of STO's lifetimers were acting like spoiled brats, but Cryptic created that situation in the first place.

Most of the lifers I remember from launch (great milenko, spartan, shabsawhatever (can't remember spelling), uncle romulus and others haven't been seen in forever. The only lifers I remember from launch that are still around are leviathan and locutus.

I left after cryptic decided to start catering to the lifers and berating monthly subs. Remember Q's famous post about the captain's table? That's the day I left, cryptic created a sense of entitlement in the lifers and then fed it now they have to lie in the bed they made. 

The uproar over the galaxy x not being available is the latest example.  You pimped out STO as the best game ever to your friends to get them to sub but now your new toy isn't available so cryptic sucks?  Lifers and cryptic, a match made in heaven. They deserve each other.

• desirieldesiriel Member Posts: 98

Accepting bets when STO will go F2P----

• gandalesgandales Member UncommonPosts: 472

Originally posted by desiriel

Before asking for bets you should stay when you think it will go f2p

Anyway, speculation is pretty much useless. Most people didn't think about LotRo going f2p, so pretty much expect the unexpected.

Originally posted by bstiff

Most of the lifers I remember from launch (great milenko, spartan, shabsawhatever (can't remember spelling), uncle romulus and others haven't been seen in forever. The only lifers I remember from launch that are still around are leviathan and locutus.

I left after cryptic decided to start catering to the lifers and berating monthly subs. Remember Q's famous post about the captain's table? That's the day I left, cryptic created a sense of entitlement in the lifers and then fed it now they have to lie in the bed they made. 

The uproar over the galaxy x not being available is the latest example.  You pimped out STO as the best game ever to your friends to get them to sub but now your new toy isn't available so cryptic sucks?  Lifers and cryptic, a match made in heaven. They deserve each other.

Indeed, and it was also interesting to watch some of the most fervent Cryptic defenders change their outlook over time as well. Some of those you listed will probably pop back into the game every so often after major updates are done, but given the slow pace of development and how lacking those updates are (disregarding the C-store stuff of course), I don't see many of them coming back and playing longterm until STO has had a couple years to develop more.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by sadeyx

As I recal LOTRO only offerd a Life time subscription for a very limited amount of time after release, not as an on-going feature.

Now, at the time I would definatly not wanted that, lotro at the begging was utter fail for me, hmm.. but now, yea sometimes I do want to just jump on and do some monster play. 

But then, they do still charge for their expansions, so I probably wouldnt be completly satisfied.

LOTRO has offered lifetime subs on a few occasions at least fromwhat I'm hearing as early as this year too.  But for the record LOTRO is a much better game that STO byleaps and bounds.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• saxifrsaxifr Member UncommonPosts: 381

I am not a serious business person but it seems to me that they are more likely to crash hard and go out of business than they would be to go F2P

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

Originally posted by saxifr

I am not a serious business person but it seems to me that they are more likely to crash hard and go out of business than they would be to go F2P

I guess that all really depends on Atari's bigwigs now: I know a lot of people still like to think that Cryptic and Atari are seperate entities, but Atari owns Cryptic now. The question is, can Cryptic's executives convince Atari's to hold in there? My guess is yes, unless Cryptic's next MMO suffers similar problems (low subscription numbers primarily) to CO and STO.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

They already have an item mall.  The C-Store.  They're already half-way to going F2P image But as replier before me said, the company is going to go down in flames before it switches to F2P.  You can't help but feel that the higher ups were expecting far more out of STO.  I mean, it **is** Star Trek, one of the most recognizable franchise names.  But the buzz in the gaming community isn't good and there has been a dropoff of players ingame (at least at the time when I left).

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

This game is pritty much in ICU ....Once again all you have to do is look at there offical forums. Fleet action is dead and everyone is waiting for Season 2 ..which got push back 2 months. Why?... because deep down Crypic knows that they have gone past the point of no return.

There players who are playing know this as well but ..when you have sunk $300 x 2 (like so many)...into the game you cant help but convince yourself you where not a idio to biggin with..!... like me! 

Thank fully... i know when to quit.. !

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

Originally posted by KitKat1

Thought it was your last post about the game?

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

Originally posted by Sevenwind

Yea ..i know ..its so hard ..the forums just so much fun! .... tell me..you playing AoC ..when do i get off that .... Tortage or somthing... and is the whole game like that... its not as free as LoTRO... or am i missing somthing?

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

Originally posted by Sevenwind

Yea ..i know ..its so hard ..the forums just so much fun! .... tell me..you playing AoC ..when do i get off that .... Tortage or somthing... and is the whole game like that... its not as free as LoTRO... or am i missing somthing?

You CAN get off Tortage as early as 15ish, if I remember correctly, but I haven't played in a year and that might have changed.  I did every quest and was 21-22 before I left.  The rest of the world isn't quite as instanced as Tortage, but certainly not as open as LotRO, or at least the original areas...I hear the expansion is a bit more open.

On another note, is that official the next miracle patch AKA Season 2 has been pushed back until September, or are you exaggerating?  I'll have to check the forums for fanbot excuses tomorrow if that's true.

This discussion has been closed.