Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will there be another expansion after Catacalysm?

steeler989steeler989 Member UncommonPosts: 665

I just want to see your guys's answers on this. Do you think here will be another expansion after Catacalysm for WoW?

Comments

• SchockeySchockey Member UncommonPosts: 58

I am guessing by that point they will announce something new.  The wow cow is about milked out if you ask me.

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827

Will there be an expansion after expansion or after that expansion:P

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

• fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868

This is the whole reason I quit playing wow, thers no way in hell im buying another expansion.

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913

Didn't they say they were going to release expansion packs until they raise the leveling cap to 100?

• EmoqqboyEmoqqboy Member UncommonPosts: 194

It will never cease as long as sales for their last expansion and subs continue to rise. Whether you are having fun or will have fun is not their top most priority. As long as their pockets keep getting filled with cash at the rate they expect it to, they will take that as a sign they're going in the right direction. They will only rethink their decisions if they, lets say for example;lose 40% subs.

<QQ moar plz. kkthxbai.>

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

I imagine there will be three or four content updates before they announce anything else expansion wise.  Then after the announcement will be another 3 or so content updates probably a new major raid instance before the release of a 4th expansion.  I would also wager that there will be a new class in the followup to cataclysm and another 5 levels.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by steeler989

I just want to see your guys's answers on this. Do you think here will be another expansion after Catacalysm for WoW?

If Cataclysm doesn't run off the 11.5 million or so players the game supposedly has, then sure there will be another expansion. They will milk this golden calf for as long as they possibly can.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• TrioxicTrioxic Member Posts: 65

If there is money in doing so they will make one if the game is dieing they make one any way, but sooner or later they will stop and decide, hey now would be a good time to make version 2... If you like WoW play it if you don't like it don't play it and if you like to hate don't cry about it just play something else there are just as many bad games out there to play other than WoW and of course there are very few better games than WoW out there, but some times beggars can't be choosers and losers all ways cry about the other guy cheating. Accept your fate, pick yourself up dust your self off and get back to work there is a lot of work to be done and not much time to do it.

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

WoW will end in 2025.
    You can bank on this.

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642

Originally posted by Evasia

Will there be an expansion after expansion or after that expansion:P

What! WoW brings out expansions in a timely matter . If you what to complain about expansions, you have to go to SOE - over 30 expansion to their games - Cha-ching!

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

Who cares?  In my opinion Cataclysm is nothing more then a mini expansion, merged with a major "content" patch that only gives you about 2 or 3 months of play, then back to the "RAID" grind stone..  How many 5 man's are there to grind heroic emblems for.. 5? give or take... You know how boring that is going to get to do the same 5 dungeons over and over and over.. Just so you can do the same raid zone, over and over and over.. LOL

Sorry.. I moved on to a game that currently gives me new task and things to do daily, without making me look at the same 4 walls..    I don't think you're going to see anything in the form fo BC or WoTLK expansions..  What you might see are mini expansions like Cataclysm.. maybe 1 more..

YES.. Cataclysm is a mini expansion..  TAKE away ALL that is a global content patch, and what you get that in "THE BOX" expansion is really really small..  Make yourself a list., on one side mark it "FREE" content patch.. and theother side mark it "Cataclsym Box".. and see which side is the biggest :) 

Have a great day :)

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822

Originally posted by Rydeson

Who cares?  In my opinion Cataclysm is nothing more then a mini expansion, merged with a major "content" patch that only gives you about 2 or 3 months of play, then back to the "RAID" grind stone..  How many 5 man's are there to grind heroic emblems for.. 5? give or take... You know how boring that is going to get to do the same 5 dungeons over and over and over.. Just so you can do the same raid zone, over and over and over.. LOL

Sorry.. I moved on to a game that currently gives me new task and things to do daily, without making me look at the same 4 walls..    I don't think you're going to see anything in the form fo BC or WoTLK expansions..  What you might see are mini expansions like Cataclysm.. maybe 1 more..

YES.. Cataclysm is a mini expansion..  TAKE away ALL that is a global content patch, and what you get that in "THE BOX" expansion is really really small..  Make yourself a list., on one side mark it "FREE" content patch.. and theother side mark it "Cataclsym Box".. and see which side is the biggest :) 

Revamping all of Azeroth is a mini expansion? Think I'll disagree on that .....

The game isn't that great anymore though and it gets dumbed down even more with every bit of content they put out. I'll see though, no other company seems to be able to produce anything worth playing for any extended amount of time.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

I will keep buying their expansions as long as I am having fun.  I have yet to find a game where the end game is fun, but WoW has been the most fun I have had in a game getting up to the end content.  I usually get a few characters up to max level quit and go play another game.  Gives me a few months of fun.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Originally posted by Emhster

Didn't they say they were going to release expansion packs until they raise the leveling cap to 100?

They'll be releasing expansions until level 250 and my grandkids are playing it. (and I don't even have any yet) image

As long as its raking in more money than any 5 other MMO's combined, they'll keep making expansions to the game.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• antonatsisantonatsis Member Posts: 109

ok lets make numbers out of our @$$ :P

Blizz claim that they have 11.5mil players give or take some due to multiple acounts lets say they have an actual 8mil players(1st number out of my @$$)

now warhammer which is in the verge of colapsing must have around 200k players(2nd number out of my @$$)and with so many players it still keep going in order to make some more money since i dont think they actually made the sum they paid for the game!so if a company can run a game with 200k at a supposately loss,then just imagine how much can a company drag a game that clearly made out all its money!also remember that in china where there is a huge bulk of players they are still on TBC plus if they see that they loosing massively players they can make a turn ala LOTRO or EVERQUEST with cash shops and staff that will keep the assians and some westerners,i think that it will take a lot of time for WOW to die also keep in mind that everquest released some 10 or more not sure expansions!

so imo around 5-6 more years of wow power i believe is secured and after that a decline that will take around 5-6 years to make the game not profitable

(remember all the numbers are speculations based on other games about longlivity and stuff)

• pfloydguy84pfloydguy84 Member UncommonPosts: 149

only 5 5 mans in cata?are you retarded?there will be a lot more then 5, not to mention SFK and Deadmines heroics.There will also be dailies new bgs and arenas and a new wg type pvp zone.There will also bo more raid content at launch then in previous xpacks.not to mention new professions new advancement system and 2 new races with new starting areas and 5 new levels with new zones to level in and new spells and revamped talent trees for everyone.And just because they are giving away the revamped world for free doesnt mean its not content for the xpack.

• bobbadudbobbadud Member Posts: 268

There will be content updates as long as the game will make huge profits.

Blizzard decides how much means "huge". That could be as low as 500K with minimal updates.

As I was just doing some thinking about the periods between updates....: Perhaps it would be good to see how long the game would go on without an expansion.

I think some would be surprised. China is still playing TBC, Guild Wars has still a lot of active players.

There is a time to "gather" it all, but a lot of people want to cherish the things they assembled too.

Kyleran comes to mind.

It’s embarrassing when an NPC compliments you in an MMo, the only relevant, cool and epic things come from players whispering you “Grtz, mate, we did it”. copyright Pilnkplonk

• AshkaelAshkael Member Posts: 166

Originally posted by Robokapp

more raids than BC at release they'll never do. just saying.

most cata changes are ok but the big problem is the decimation of 25man guilds. That's where the bulk of their loyal customers are and upsetting them is not good business plan.

still, cata will be profittable. So more will come.

The bulk of their loyal customers are NOT in 25 man guilds, and they're certainly not in 25 man guilds that would be "decimated" by the ultimately minor changes to raid dynamics.

I do agree that they'll never launch an expansion with more raids than BC, though.

At any rate, WoW still has tons of life left in it, and there is at least enough lore left unexplored for 2 more expansions. One for the Emerald Dream, and one for Argus. :)

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

Most likely.

People forget just how many millions of people play WoW. Blizzard can literally lose 90% of its WoW playerbase and it will still have many more subscribers than most P2P MMO's that have regular expansions have.

• MariouzMariouz Member Posts: 186

Cant say that I blame the company, they are making money and even if they are lossing subs they get new ones probably every day, while us that have played since launch might be a bit bored we still come back and continue to give them money. I dont see anything really wrong with that, I have been taking like 6 month breaks from the game but there really is nothing else out there that keeps me entertained. I am looking towards some of the games coming out but a lot of times they are dissapointing to say the least. Hope something comes up that will keep me entertained for more than 3 months.

At this stage I have been trying some of the F2P ones and only one so far has kept me entertained and who know for how long, maybe it will hold me over until some of the P2P ones come out or Cata comes out and I am back to WoWing out as usual.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

I don't see a reason why there wouldn't be an expansion after Cataclysm..   Even if WoW somehow loses 50% of its players, it will still have more players than other North American MMO's out there.  There's no reason they won't have another expansion, none at all.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

Originally posted by Bama1267

Originally posted by Rydeson

Revamping all of Azeroth is a mini expansion? Think I'll disagree on that .....

The game isn't that great anymore though and it gets dumbed down even more with every bit of content they put out. I'll see though, no other company seems to be able to produce anything worth playing for any extended amount of time.

1 not ALL of Azeroth is getting revamped.. lol..

2 are the changes in Azeroth "PAID" expansion material..?  NO.. that is part of the global FREE content patch that I said was "major"..

3 "anything worth playing for any extended amount of time'?   That would be YOUR opinion?  :)  and I have my opinion, which is WoW is the McDonald's of the mmo industry.. If you want to brag about eating at McD's.. go for it..  :) 

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Alternate means of progression, player housing, guild halls and cities - resource collection and manufacturing more akin to the RTS games, etc, etc - so much to be done!

Of course, there is also Space WoW...

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

Originally posted by Robokapp

most cata changes are ok but the big problem is the decimation of 25man guilds. That's where the bulk of their loyal customers are and upsetting them is not good business plan.

This is the same thing that the "hardcore" raiders said when ZG and AQ20 came out, and I was one of them.  Guess what?  Not only did it not spell the end of wow, it actually proved to bring more people into the game and keep more of them longer.  Your 25 man raid guilds are no different than the 40 raid guilds were

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941

Originally posted by VirusDancer

Of course, there is also Space WoW...

Hmm I want to see an elf wearing N7 armor with tech biotic protection, night vision and a sniper rifle with a predator as a pet. I guess wow will be around so long that we may even see such things anyway.