Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Intresting read about Romanian cyber crime

GrunchGrunch Member Posts: 493

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3226837

"

The classic scam: Offer high-end electronics or other goods for sale or auction, take the order, confirm the “shipment” — and simply vanish the moment the consumer has wired payment."

"I'm sorry but your mmo has been diagnosed with EA and only has X number of days to live."

Comments

• worisworis Member Posts: 86
    Yeah?

---------------
    MMORPG genre=trend=lots of subscriptions/bad games

• HarelinHarelin Member UncommonPosts: 409

"Pointing up the criminals’ knack for staying one step ahead of the law, FBI documents note that because consumers are reluctant to do business with Romanians, some scammers have found accomplices in other countries. Others pass themselves off as coming from elsewhere.

When police caught on that criminals were getting paid through Western Union transactions, they switched to direct bank-to-bank transfers, which are trickier to trace. Lately, they’ve set up bogus PayPal-style escrow accounts."

• HarelinHarelin Member UncommonPosts: 409

I don't actively suspect Mourning of being a scam (my argument can be seen in a prior thread), but if I pre-ordered I would seriously be considering taking preventive measures right this instant in light of this knowledge.

There are just too many possibilities. Build a rudimentary MMORPG, create a mainstream community, gather pre-orders... and when you're at your peak, milk those credit cards for all they're worth.

With all the evidence on the table right now, it's probably a legitimate game with a developer staff suffering from a bad rep due to their less than honorable friends in Romania... but if I pre-ordered, I would rather be safe than sorry and hold back my money until the game struck me as a more stable investment.

• ArcariusArcarius Member Posts: 72

Same goes for me, I don't actively subscribe to the theory that Mourning is an out-and-out scam.

However, I have been greatly dissappointed with the Mourning official response (or shall I say lack thereof) to this issue.

Moderators as well as administrators ban people that bring up the issue and resort to namecalling when what they really should be doing is addressing the situation and 'problem.'

Eternal Vigilance - NOW RECRUITING

-Flavius Vegetius Renatus
  • worisworis Member Posts: 86

Reason for banning is that it serves no purpose to bring this up at the official forums. If someone wants to take it as a mission to warn people about possible scam, then they have to do it somewhere else. This whole banning (about 10 people got temporary ban) and name calling (which I havent personally seen) has been made a HUGE issue by some people, and it got way bigger than it really was.

---------------
    MMORPG genre=trend=lots of subscriptions/bad games

• JulieBlueJulieBlue Member Posts: 13

[quote]Originally posted by Grunch
    [b][url=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3226837]

"
    The classic scam: Offer high-end electronics or other goods for sale or auction, take the order, confirm the “shipment” — and simply vanish the moment the consumer has wired payment."[/b][/quote]

This has nothing to do with the game Mouring.

The developers of the games are from two very respected companies.

Some of them worked on the German game Gothic 2.

Thank you.

JB.

• GrunchGrunch Member Posts: 493

Actually it has a lot to do with Mourning because if you think about it its a pretty good scam. Why pre-order a game that isnt even in beta yet? They will wait until they reach a high number of pre-orders charge the cards and vanish I am willing to bet the game vanishes from the net one day.image

P.S. Will the real JB plz stand up image

"I'm sorry but your mmo has been diagnosed with EA and only has X number of days to live."

• DerfelCadarnDerfelCadarn Member Posts: 875

I must agree. What is the point of pre-ordering a game that has no demand in market, isnt the point of pre-ordering getting a high demand game that will sell out? Very few have even seen the beta, we're seen a few really bad movies(that the mods soon deleted cuz they made the game look bad).

• chaoslotdchaoslotd Member Posts: 54

Originally posted by Grunch

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3226837

"
    The classic scam: Offer high-end electronics or other goods for sale or auction, take the order, confirm the “shipment” — and simply vanish the moment the consumer has wired payment."

do u ever post anything other then this type of crap