Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Spore, game created by Will Wright, Creator of Sims titles

happydan20happydan20 Member UncommonPosts: 260

THis game may not be a MMORPG in the traditional sense but has quickly been known as MSOG- Massively Single Player online game.

Will Wright, creator of the sims titles through the years, unveiled this game while giving a speech on the topic of cost in MMORPGs and how to reduce them.  I'll post some links but the basic idea is this:

He ask a room, what if we made the players develop their own game.  At first it looked as if he was just using some graphics to explain his concepts...  Then people started realizing this was a game.

The point if all this?  All of the content was user created, not drawn by an army of animators, using math to fill in the blanks.  A central server is to be put into place in which EVERYTHING you make is uploaded.  the game can dynamically download contend MADE BY OTHERS to fill out your world, universe.  He stressed that ever plant house being city and world would be available for download.

The size of each creature- 1k, uncompressed 5 megabytes!  This allows for massive content libraries to be made again by the players themselves.

I just wanted to bring this game just unveiled last week (unfinished).

Now to the links:

This site features podcasts (downloadable blocks of broadcast that can be listened to on ipods or your computer) if you listed to day 3 a man sitting a few feet from will wright recounts the whole event in detail for an hour. http://www.gamingsteve.com/

Be sure to scroll down to view the screenshots.

This is a well written preview of the game going into detail the things I touched on. http://www.gamespy.com/articles/595/595975p1.html?fromint=1

Another similar article:http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/launchreview.asp?reviewid=476780

MY explanation I decided to post after the links as many readers wont read that much before stopping:P

It started out simple enough, a single cell in a primordial soup... you could eat these blobs but the bigger blobs would eat you.  You eat enough of these to evolve into a small sea creature.  Using an engine that allows you to design the creatures every inch.  Using algorithms to calculate the speed size and look of the creature based on your designs...  He demonstrated this by creating an exact replica of a carebear on the screen, just look at the screenshots.

He then moved on to a land based existence, again fully customizable appearance.  Then he revealed a mating system, which produced an egg.  This began a new period of city building stating with a hut a fire and a drum.  He then went further, the building had the same system of creation as the beings, you could mold them into any image you wished.  A mini sim city began and he then showed even that wasn't enough.

he pans out to show a neighboring city with a completely different design, which had tanks rolling toward his own. He created some vehicles (same engine complete control).  didn't do so well and fast forwarded a bit.  his society now had a spaceship, he began to colonize the SOLAR system and eventually the UNIVERSE... showing this as he went.

Comments

• LreguizrLreguizr Member Posts: 207

Sounds like simlife to me.

Though these types of games are not for me.

• happydan20happydan20 Member UncommonPosts: 260

The one thing I can't stress enough is the scope of the game, it's huge and every inch of the characters is customisable...  The podcast really explains the game more accurately then I can.

Strangely enough very little press coverage has been done on this, although I'm sure it has to do with story rights given by EA theyre sitting on:)

• stephen_sofstephen_sof Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 388

yea read about that a while ago i think it could be one of the best games out there for me i'll buy it for sure cant wait :P

"It's the darkness that brings us power"

• OaksteadOakstead Member Posts: 455

Thanks for the info HappyDan20.

This game could be another genre maker. I am very impressed with the both the flexibilty in making your own creature with its environment and with the seemingly high computer efficiency in doing so. This should allow for large complex environments. It is rather amazing that you can go from slime to inter-world civilization battles with your own custom race of creatures.

This proceedural method of rendering 3D environments has lots of potential for customizing all sorts of games.

• nolfnolf Member UncommonPosts: 869

Yeah just a bit ago there was a thread about this, and I am PSYCHED.

Not as psyched for the actual game (which I will play) as I am about the groundbreaking ideas and systems behind it. This may revolutionize the way we think of video games.

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.

• HarelinHarelin Member UncommonPosts: 409

Originally posted by nolf
    Not as psyched for the actual game (which I will play) as I am about the groundbreaking ideas and systems behind it. This may revolutionize the way we think of video games.

Exactly.

It's great to see designers at the top of their game, pushing forward like this.

• nolfnolf Member UncommonPosts: 869

Originally posted by Harelin

Exactly.It's great to see designers at the top of their game, pushing forward like this.

Yeah, and this guy knows what he's doing. The sims never appealed to me, but sim city????? I've been an addict of those games since I was 8 or 9.

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.

• sdoughtysdoughty Member Posts: 149
    that other thread mite of been mine, how amazing does that sound, as i sed in other thread hopefully mmorpg makers will c this and do the same thing, i wud love to c an mmorpg in the next few years with these idea being put into practice, i just looked at those screenshots and god damn that looks amazing seriously will wright is a god and a golden statue shud b made of him sumwer wer everyone can c it becus this is that good

Toughest rater in the world
    Try to impress me, please, i dare u

• happydan20happydan20 Member UncommonPosts: 260

Will wright is just one of those people that, when they die... just can't be replaced.  Sure we will always have game developers but there are just some peoeple out there that define games instead of following trends.

I understand I sound like a fanboy on steriods but one of my first gaming experience that really satisfied me in a whole new way was sim city for the snes.  I can still remember the awe I had looking over my creation remembering that it all started with one residential plot one power plant.  It was so nice to play a game that didn't involve twitch powers or lots of ammo.