Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another MMO Bites The Dust - Cash Shop Stealthed In

gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Sub cancelled and no you can't have my stuff :)

and just to avoid the noise

I'm paying a subscription fee which IMHO gets me 100% percent of the content of the game - i don't care if the item in the shop is a pink tutu with purple spots it better be earnable/available in game

if/when the game goes ftp - THEN i won't care

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by gatheris

I'm paying a subscription fee which IMHO gets me 100% percent of the content of the game - i don't care if the item in the shop is a pink tutu with purple spots it better be earnable/available in game

But... you can get a pet dog in the game. You also outgrow the benefits of the goggles by level 5 or so.

Did you bother to look into this at all or did you just see exrtas available for a fee and freak out?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• grunt187grunt187 Member CommonPosts: 956

Times they are a changing.image

The following statement is false
    The previous statement is true

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Good to know I don't have to try this game like I was planning on.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Originally posted by Loktofeit

But... you can get a pet dog in the game. You also outgrow the benefits of the goggles by level 5 or so.

Did you bother to look into this at all or did you just see exrtas available for a fee and freak out?

I think it's more of an issue of principles. Not everyone is ok with or likes cash shops. It has also been proven time and again that games start out with "something small and meaningless" to gauge the shop and if it does well they move on to selling things that do give advantages. *shrug*

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• lornphoenixlornphoenix Member Posts: 993

It a matter of principle to some people, and there is there nothing wrong with that.

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

apparently reading is not second nature to you

please try again starting with "i'm paying a subscription..............."

there is no "freak out" - i just don't pay a sub for games with cash shops - again, i don't care what is in it

i don't expect anyone to follow me like little lemmings - though if it would put a stop to this that would be cool as i really liked this game - sigh

running out of choices though - back to EVE maybe until LOTRO is availabe FTP

"lornphoenix" - thanks for that response - - - happy to see someone on these forums has at least 2 brains cells to rub together :) 

and another one "Khalathwyr"

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Originally posted by lornphoenix

It a matter of principle to some people, and there is there nothing wrong with that.

Funny thing about principles is they only seem to apply to a very limited thing when it suits someone who wants to cry about something, but they dont stick to em. Do the people with these "principles" also pull over, turn off their car, throw away their drivers license, and refuse to ever drive again because "OMG someone with the same car as me drove by and they had more extras that they paid for an i dont have them and its not fair that they have a better car".

Yeah, driving may not be the same situation as a game, but youre still sharing the road with those people, just like sharing the gamespace, yet you dont see people throwing a bitch fit because people bought extras for their own car with their own money, why does it bother people so much that someone else in a game has something they dont?

• PhirmwarePhirmware Member UncommonPosts: 43

Originally posted by kaiser3282

Yeah, driving may not be the same situation as a game, but youre still sharing the road with those people, just like sharing the gamespace, yet you dont see people throwing a bitch fit because people bought extras for their own car with their own money, why does it bother people so much that someone else in a game has something they dont?

Not only is it not the same situation, it's not even close.

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Funny thing about principles is they only seem to apply to a very limited thing when it suits someone who wants to cry about something, but they dont stick to em. Do the people with these "principles" also pull over, turn off their car, throw away their drivers license, and refuse to ever drive again because "OMG someone with the same car as me drove by and they had more extras that they paid for an i dont have them and its not fair that they have a better car".

and...............you still don't get it

congratulations

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Originally posted by Phirmware

Not only is it not the same situation, it's not even close.

In what way? Youre performing a task using something you bought (just like you paid for your game/account), and sharing a common space with other people who did the same (just like other players in a game). Yet you dont see people refusing to drive because people have nicer cars than them that they bought with their own money. Sure, people will complain and be jealous about others having nicer things than them, but they dont flat out quit doing something because others can afford better.... yet in games everyone acts as if its a communist nation and we should all have equal of everything and nobody should be allowed to have something they dont have, even though that person was the one who worked for it.

Driving may seem like a silly example, but you could apply anything in life where you are able to upgrade something you own and is seen by (and in some cases interacts with) others to this idea of "principles". Why do people act so different in one situation, but oh no you better not touch their precious video game.

• Robdc84Robdc84 Member Posts: 156

i understand where the OP is coming from. yeah i am not a fan of cash shops i find them annoying. but considing its only a dog it carrys item and some useless goggles which will end being socal clothing laters anyways. i mean its not like there selling a rocket launcher or a tank or something. but cash shops sometimes do make the game annoying since you can't earn the items in-game. i mean if the team at fallen earth for example add some form of a ticket in game which you earn doing a quest it lets you get somehting from the cash shop that be an awesome thing to do. thats my 2 cents. also to the OP i hate cash shops as much as you do but considing what there selling i will stay with Fallen earth for now. also about your stuff can i have it? lol.

IN THE FACE!

• lornphoenixlornphoenix Member Posts: 993

You are looking at this the wrong way.

It not about who has what but more on how they got it.

Funny thing about principles is no where is it written that you have to have a blanket set that covers everything in life. Secondly, it's very dangerous for you to assume the OP is throwing a "bitch fit". Unless you know the guy personally you have no idea of what emotional state he's in. Lest you want others to start applying labels to you because of something you post it's best to not start casting stones.

I mean, to answer your last sentence, why does it bother you that it bothers him? Different things bother different people. Judging someone because of those is, again, a dangerous road to adventure down as it can be quickly turned back on you.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

When it's P2P and a cash shop, I agree you should be able to earn the same items in game without paying at a cash shop. Likely not that easily but there should be a way.... With that said, it's their game, their rules, and you are free to take your ball and play on someone elses court.. Well at least until you don't like their rules anymore either and you move on, yet again. (As many of us do)

• kobietrumankobietruman Member Posts: 105

is it safe to assume that FTP is not so long in coming?

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

The game is one step from death, plain and simple. Anyone who's paid attention to it in the last year can see that. Bankruptcy, layoffs, giving away free game keys and barely retaining any of the people who used them when payment time rolled around, etc. So, like other developers deperate to try to hang on to the meal ticket, they've added a cash shop as a last ditch effort to make a profit. I pity them, really.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

This I fear is the fate of all MMORPG's, just a matter of time before  almost everyone one of them takes advantage of the cash shop model, in some form or another.

The genie is out of the bottle, and no, he won't go back in.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

This I fear is the fate of all MMORPG's, just a matter of time before  almost everyone one of them takes advantage of the cash shop model, in some form or another.

The genie is out of the bottle, and no, he won't go back in.

Well, heres to hoping it does remain "almost everyone" and not "all" and that the few I'm looking at playing don't go that route. It's just too tempting to the number crunchers to change an item shop from meaningless things to advantage giving items if they see any success at all from such a shop or if they see no success at all. Either way, advantage giving items will show up at some point.

Chavez y Chavez

• GoodAfternoonGoodAfternoon Member UncommonPosts: 252

there is no "freak out" - i just don't pay a sub for games with cash shops - again, i don't care what is in it

i don't expect anyone to follow me like little lemmings - though if it would put a stop to this that would be cool as i really liked this game - sigh

"lornphoenix" - thanks for that response - - - happy to see someone on these forums has at least 2 brains cells to rub together :) 

Lol you're freaking the fuck out over this one.

Rift

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

This game won't go free to play I hate to break it to ya, why are you people getting all worked up over 2 items that are worthless.,

They are there for those that wanna spend the money on shiney items that do'nt break the game.. Just liek cryptic and WOW ..

Those items are useless...If you canceled your sub see ya in a few days after your QQ is over..

PS the goggles alot of people had at release... as a preorder  type item out of a magazine... so you could of got that item.

So Should I whine about that because someone is getting an item where I got it at release.. I could careless.. so really the only item they are really selling new is a stupid dog..

The world is gonna end!

• ToteLeeLostToteLeeLost Member Posts: 41

For me, any P2P subscription MMORPG adopting cash shop = automatic cancellation.

Otherwise, I'm paying $15 a month for them to work on shit I'm not gonna buy, instead of working on the game I'm paying to play.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

That is a different stance than what you previously stated and has nothing to do with my reply.  You said that they better be earnable/available to you in game. I replied that they are.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• epsilon426epsilon426 Member UncommonPosts: 14

"back to EVE maybe until LOTRO is availabe FTP"

I hate to tell you, EVE has a cash shop as well, it called plex.

I don't see problem with cash shop as long as it does not grant an advantage in the long run. If you upset with goggles that help lowbies and pet that are cosmetic in nature, I don't know how you could play EVE online at all then. Also, what games wont let you pay extra for pets, cosmetic stuff like that or XP boost? Also how does someone speding money on things like that hurt your enjoymeny of the game? I personally feel good about it that I have something I got, while they spent money on it. Even if cash shop are not in game, you can buy power leveling servies or item from people with real money, just not legit.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Also if the OP realy was a fan of this game would he not be happy that the developers do everything in their power to make the game sit in the green... As this would increase the games chance to survive.

Also i have a distant memory of a cash shop back in beta... i could be wrong tho.

This have been a good conversation

• gamerman98gamerman98 Member UncommonPosts: 807

if you dont like a cash shop then obviously you shouldnt play MMOs at all since I guarantee over 80% of the P2P MMOs that will come out in the future will have a cash shop or item mall. You should really start blaming RMT sites and gold sellers because its their fault this is happening.