Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What can I play?

r0hitr0hit Member Posts: 64

Hey guys, I have made several threads in the past in this forum about low performance and things.

Now I just want to know what I can do to play games smoothly. I don't forsee a new computer in my sudden future, and since my current one is only about a year old I do not see a new computer in the distant future either.

I was wondering if there is ANYTHING to do to improve FPS/general games performance.

My PC

Photobucket

Comments

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Sorry for the off topic but I have to say it..

Why are you using vista with 2 gb ram even for 32bit? you should use windows xp and use a vista theme if you prefer how vista looks you will have more virtual ram available so smoother games.

I suggest you search for the games titles and go on http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri and try see there if you can support them.

I suggest you don't play games that you have exactly or near the minimum requirements because while technically you would be able to run them you might suffer fps issues.

• orija7orija7 Member Posts: 22

I couldn't find the name of your graphics crad in there, thats the main thing. Could you specify it?

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

all facebook game!

all browser game!

all 2d game!

not many 3d game!

try guild wars(trial) if it play smooth you should be able to play all dx9 game

if guild wars isnt smooth then forget 3 d game all together .

• CatamountCatamount Member Posts: 773

Yeah, we need to know what video card you're using before we can give you any kind of information. If it's a higher level Geforce 8 series card, or something (seems to fit the age of the rest of the machine), then you can play pretty much anything, albiet with some reduced graphical settings, but if it's like an Intel X3000, then you're pretty much out of luck until you can replace that.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

The Dell Studio 140G is a nettop style PC, uses an IGP and has no upgradability. We've talked about how to upgrade it before, basically only thing possible is to build a new PC and salvage the processor from this one, not really worth it.

As far as what games it can play right now.. I dunno.. I can run lotro on lowest settings possible on my netbook at about 15 fps and drops to 3 fps in towns. Might fair a little better on this thing since it has 2GB of ram instead of just 1GB. But not being able to use a discrete GPU really limits things.

WinXP would help just a little bit with performance but really there is nothing you can do to give you any sort of acceptable 3d gaming performance even at lowest settings except to play really old games.

• r0hitr0hit Member Posts: 64

I think this is the one:

Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family.

Will it be enough to play DDO well?

No, not likely. You're really not going to be able to play any games very well with that, unfortunately. A few might run at the lowest settings, but even then it would only be titles that were a few years old.

• jammertk10jammertk10 Member CommonPosts: 88

I hate to break it to you, but as noquarter said, there is little to no upgradability.... It will run DDO, on minimum settings and with a horrible frame rate. My suggestion to you would be to try to slowly build a computer. (I.E. buy one component per paycheck/month) Until then you're very limited, it might be possible to salvage the HDD, and maybe one or two other components, you really don't need that much to get it going..... Let me know if you want more info/help! 

Good luck!

Beo

“The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered by an occasional assassination.” - Voltaire
    i5-750 OC'd to 4.0Ghz - PNY GTX 470 Performance Edition - Western Digital 2X2TB in RAID 0 - Samsung BD Drive - 4GB DDR3 2000Mhz - CM Storm Scout

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Intel IGP, sorely disapointing customers for over a decade.

• judaesicjudaesic Member Posts: 1

u'd better buy new one then will be fine or,, just play 2D game~ its gonna smoth~

judaesic

Yeah, just like Jammer said, r0hit, even though you can't play anything on that (I love Cleffy's little slogan there for Intel IGPs), you can work your way towards a computer that could play games, even with a very modest income, and we'd be happy to help towards that end.

• pfloydguy84pfloydguy84 Member UncommonPosts: 149

whats your video card?If it isnt half way decent, you will have a hard time running anything well or at all.get another gig of ram it wont cost much at all and it'll help.check your overclocking options and if your motherboard will let you do it, get a new heatsink and fan and overclock the CPU.check to see if you have Aero theme enabled and if you do, disable it.close down all other programs while playing games as well and make sure to defragment your hard drive regularly.

You could try guildwars.On lowest settings you might be able to play.Also, Runescape is a browser based mmo, you could play that.Doesn't look the greatest but obviously you probably arn't used to nice looking games anyways.Runescape, while having a bad rep, has been around a long time and is pretty accessable and well made and has a lot of people playing.

Err, looks like you prolly wont be able to OC your CPU or upgrade anything.Maybe ram tho?

• jammertk10jammertk10 Member CommonPosts: 88

On a quick side note, if you want a detailed system check, search dxdiag in your start menu and run it. Try to post that, it might provide a bit more insight for everyone else. ( Or they could look up the computer specs themselves :) heh )

Beo

“The best government is a benevolent tyranny tempered by an occasional assassination.” - Voltaire
    i5-750 OC'd to 4.0Ghz - PNY GTX 470 Performance Edition - Western Digital 2X2TB in RAID 0 - Samsung BD Drive - 4GB DDR3 2000Mhz - CM Storm Scout

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Originally posted by jammertk10
    I hate to break it to you, but as noquarter said, there is little to no upgradability.... It will run DDO, on minimum settings and with a horrible frame rate. My suggestion to you would be to try to slowly build a computer. (I.E. buy one component per paycheck/month) Until then you're very limited, it might be possible to salvage the HDD, and maybe one or two other components, you really don't need that much to get it going..... Let me know if you want more info/help! 

Good luck!
    Beo

I think when we looked into it before, the CPU, RAM and HDD were salvageable and the main things to get were a new case and socket 775 mobo, and then a video card + PSU. Even just a new mobo with onboard nVidia IGP would at least get games to run, but case+mobo+video+PSU = $200 for all budget parts.

edit: nm.. the CPU is a mobile socket P and I bet the ram is laptop form factor too.. :(

Yeah, looking at that thing, there's no way they fit desktop dimms into it...

That said, he could probably spring for an AM3 motherboard, get a $50 Athlon II X2, and 2GB of ram for another $50.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

AMDs IGP line is definetly alot nicer, but you are still looking at $400 to do a replace.