Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Honest to God review: The good the bad and the pwnd

wolf11223wolf11223 Member CommonPosts: 54

I have watched AoC grow from a buggy, no end game content, poop baby into the mature awesome adult MMO it is now since the day it was released and I couldn't even log in. A lot has changed and I wouldn't have recommended this MMO at release but now I absolutely do! =)

The good:

-Incredible Graphics and jaw dropping visuals

-Great new expansion with tons of end game content

-Really interesting and fun classes

-Tons of character customization

-Interesting environments and story lines

-etc etc etc

The Bad:

-Can be laggy/buggy

-The community can suck sometimes, global chat is awful

-the new lvl 80 factions can feel like a grind if you have to have everything

-Ganking gets a bit crazy on PVP servers

The Pwnd:

Comments

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

Just mention WoW in global chat and heads start to role. LOL. Or if you say ""it's you and your crappy computer"  then debates begin in global chat. the faction grind was patched to make it less grindy. But all grinds are grindy. I first rolled a new character on a PvP server and did not know it was a PvP server until I accidently started to gank someone!~!!!! 

• Deadman87Deadman87 Member Posts: 253

Global chat is horrible, but somehow vastly entertaining at the same time.

To quote Rumiiko on Fury server: "ALL PPL IS NOOB HERE?"

It is preferable not to travel with a dead man.

• wolf11223wolf11223 Member CommonPosts: 54

Originally posted by Deadman87

Global chat is horrible, but somehow vastly entertaining at the same time.

To quote Rumiiko on Fury server: "ALL PPL IS NOOB HERE?"

Yeah it is pretty funny lol. I love all the nerd rage fits on cimmeria "WHO JUST KILLED ME?! ILL KICK YOUR ASS!" "How are you guna kick ass if you don't know who's ass to kick" "ILL KICK ALL YOUR ASSES!" lol

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Hell yeah, this game is GREAT now.

I'm totally addicted, to the point where I've almost called into work a few times just because I didn't want to log out.

Havn't done that in years.

The real test, is that I've been re-subbed for over a month now, and still play every single chance I get. I'm not getting bored.

I actually relate to my character again (been a long time since that's been the case), and it feels like it represents ME in the game world.

HoX, by the way...and STOMPING my way through the game with fire and steel! image

• JohnsavantJohnsavant Member Posts: 106

Originally posted by Lateris

Just mention WoW in global chat and heads start to role. LOL. Or if you say ""it's you and your crappy computer"  then debates begin in global chat. the faction grind was patched to make it less grindy. But all grinds are grindy. I first rolled a new character on a PvP server and did not know it was a PvP server until I accidently started to gank someone!~!!!! 

Uh-oh, don't even start on global. I'm really starting to wonder sometimes if people there type more than they actually play. I'll maybe start considering AoC a serious MMO when they do something about LFG and global, because at the moment it's just way out of hand. I come from WoW and, believe it or not, I find AoC global talks way more immature and useless, plus in WoW there is no such STUPID THING as a global channel that haunts you EVERYWHERE.

Oh geez, my blood boils whenever I see or hear something about AoC global ... I am sorry for this outburst.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

I'm curious, what servers are you people on?

My experiences with Global chat are usually good, but I admit,  Global chat goes off with me as soon as  I get busy or if group and guildchat becomes active.

I've also found that PvP servers usually have more morons on global chat than PvE servers, and that with every launch or release that causes an influx of lots of new people also Global chat becomes more polluted. More MMO games should do it like Aion, where you can't participate on global channels unless you've passed a certain level.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355

I used to play this game about a year after it came out, I loved it for the short bit I played it, I had a 50 Dark Templar and a 58 uh.....demon...mage...thing. Haha, I forgot the name but the DT was my first character, after I got 50 I made the mage and it became my main because I realized that templars cant kill shit compared to them. Has this game really improved that much? It wasnt the bugs that got me, I actually dont know what it was that made me quit, one day I was playing hardcore and leveling as much as possible loving every minute of it, and the next day I logged on and just felt nothing haha, didnt renew my sub and never looked back. How is the new expansion?

Mystery Bounty

• Deadman87Deadman87 Member Posts: 253

Originally posted by MysteryB

I used to play this game about a year after it came out, I loved it for the short bit I played it, I had a 50 Dark Templar and a 58 uh.....demon...mage...thing. Haha, I forgot the name but the DT was my first character, after I got 50 I made the mage and it became my main because I realized that templars cant kill shit compared to them. Has this game really improved that much? It wasnt the bugs that got me, I actually dont know what it was that made me quit, one day I was playing hardcore and leveling as much as possible loving every minute of it, and the next day I logged on and just felt nothing haha, didnt renew my sub and never looked back. How is the new expansion?

I made a DT for the expansion, and I have absolutely no problems playing him. Feeling really powerful with him actually, but I am only level 41 as of now. If you haven't played in over a year, then there's a lot of new stuff on the platter for you to experience, and if you haven't played since the launch days (2 years ago) you haven't played AoC at all.

I can't really say for sure about how the expansion is, seeing as I have only been questing in the gateway area (lvl 20-40), but the things I have seen is absolutely beautiful (must be the DX10) and it's been a lot of fun. I don't regret a second I came back to try it again.

It is preferable not to travel with a dead man.

• swollenwabitswollenwabit Member Posts: 107

Originally posted by Johnsavant

Originally posted by Lateris

Uh-oh, don't even start on global. I'm really starting to wonder sometimes if people there type more than they actually play. I'll maybe start considering AoC a serious MMO when they do something about LFG and global, because at the moment it's just way out of hand. I come from WoW and, believe it or not, I find AoC global talks way more immature and useless, plus in WoW there is no such STUPID THING as a global channel that haunts you EVERYWHERE.

Oh geez, my blood boils whenever I see or hear something about AoC global ... I am sorry for this outburst.

Global chat can for sure be a pain at times, but then again you can just put it into a separate chat window that won't be the main chat you see and problem solved. When it comes to mature chat in AoC it varies from server to server. Fury is at times painful to watch, Crom is a lot better but every now and then some fury rejects that transferred starts talking in caps nd showing that they should still be in kindergarten. 

So for those who dislike global, either turn it off or move it to a different channel. Problem fixed and you can enjoy the game :)

• swollenwabitswollenwabit Member Posts: 107

Originally posted by cyphers

I'm curious, what servers are you people on?

My experiences with Global chat are usually good, but I admit,  Global chat goes off with me as soon as  I get busy or if group and guildchat becomes active.

I've also found that PvP servers usually have more morons on global chat than PvE servers, and that with every launch or release that causes an influx of lots of new people also Global chat becomes more polluted. More MMO games should do it like Aion, where you can't participate on global channels unless you've passed a certain level.

the problem with global chat in AoC is most of the idiots is already level 80 so a level cap wouldn't really fix anything :P

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

global on Crom is quite decent usually helpful and fairly adult,  there is like every game a few server personality's who just don;t know when to shut up though.

its fun to add them to friends list and watch for them logging on you know withing 10 mins global will explode and they will ragequit within 30

• Kyser_SozeKyser_Soze Member Posts: 20

Just resubbed myself and having a good time.

The grind is a grind, but no worse then factions in WoW.

Also to a poster on the first page compairing global to WoW. WoW removed the ability for any type of global chat system prior to TBC due to the fact that it was far far worse then what AoC global is. I for one keep global and LFG on a seperate chat tab and venture to it only when looking for a group or in need of a laugh. With the ability to hide the chat, there is no reason to have that as any type of complaint. In any un-moderated forum. Idiots will be, well idiotic. And Aholes with be Aholes.

I do agree that I am starting to feel a connection with my avatar, something that has not happened in years, dating back to EQ1.

To another poster on the first page. HOX all the way. I EAT YOUR HEART!!!

AoC's systems are no worse then any current game on the market. They need to work on some background systems to reduce memory leaks in the new xpac. Outside of that, the game is great. Still being able to venture back to old world content while still able to advance your AA's and helping friends or guildies out. Not having to skip raids due to having a lvl cap increase. All of this adds to the growing world of AoC.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

I'm in a guild where most of the people have quit already because of the grind. I'm not sure what game they are going to find where there isn't some sort of grind at end game.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the game although I don't play that often (probably an hour a day at most). My single biggest complaint though is the lack of a decent LFG tool. Apparently there are some good dungeons in the expansion but I haven't visited one (part of that is due to the time I play at). I usually don't like to complain about features in games but really I am disappointed they haven't put in a decent tool for finding groups.

Other than that I really enjoy the game, absolutely love the combat.

• illspawnillspawn Member UncommonPosts: 81

I am thinking of coming back to this game. Nothing really feels as good as the pvp in this game for right now. Really the only thing that turned me off was the population was low and that there wasn't a real incentive to having a guild city. Both may have changed now. If so then all the better.

• ArentasArentas Member Posts: 76

Originally posted by Johnsavant

Why don't you just change the way your chat tabs are setup?  You can segragate every single channel (global, tells, guild, party, etc) to different tabs, or mix and match however you want  You never have to read a single word of global if you don't want to.

It's a really stupid thing to bitch about, they give you all the tools in the world to manage it yourself.