Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

looking for a good 3rd person rpg

abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131

looking for a good 3rd person rpg like the title says, one that plays simular to an MMO style with the spell bar and what not. but looking for more of a sandbox style when it comes to character development, where i get a "classless"character that i could build and put points where i want nukes,archer,melee,heals what ever.

Comments

• u18bu2sa0ku18bu2sa0k Member Posts: 144

Dungeon Lords,

Not much of a sandbox but its not linear either,its aim and hit like oblivion (though 3rd person).

basic classes at start and as you venture in the world you can learn  a profession  from diferrent people (or something else?) some are rare some not  , there is lot off combinations ,at the end there  will be 28+ classes if i remember correctly.

very underrated game,i had lots off fun with it, and if you can find a populated lobby (and make or have friends) you can have blast with it.

http://www.dreamcatchergames.com/dungeonlords/

the begining of the game is a bit hard/confusing i suggest you to check a walkthrough or two if you stuck because that part is  before you enter the open world.

• tddavistddavis Member Posts: 159

Torchlight actually has a lot of create your own class stuff. one of the only things I really enjoy about it since I like making characters.

• abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131

Originally posted by tddavis

Torchlight actually has a lot of create your own class stuff. one of the only things I really enjoy about it since I like making characters.

i have tourchlight thoght you only had 3 different class options? its been lil while since i played it so maybe they added some stuff to it

• abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131

Originally posted by u18bu2sa0k

Dungeon Lords,

Not much of a sandbox but its not linear either,its aim and hit like oblivion (though 3rd person).

basic classes at start and as you venture in the world you can learn  a profession  from diferrent people (or something else?) some are rare some not  , there is lot off combinations ,at the end there  will be 28+ classes if i remember correctly.

very underrated game,i had lots off fun with it, and if you can find a populated lobby (and make or have friends) you can have blast with it.

http://www.dreamcatchergames.com/dungeonlords/

the begining of the game is a bit hard/confusing i suggest you to check a walkthrough or two if you stuck because that part is  before you enter the open world.

thanks just saw some youtube vids looks fun i'll have to give it a try

One more thing before you begin,

even if you will play only in singleplayer ,Patch the game. Its really bad when you forget about it and when you patch it later your saves wont work.

+ the extra stuff and bugfixes.

check this vids

part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IdZ7SxuFiM

part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX4_N8sxRr0&feature=related

ahh this brings back nice memories ,thanks to your post :)

• tddavistddavis Member Posts: 159

Originally posted by abyss610

Originally posted by tddavis

i have tourchlight thoght you only had 3 different class options? its been lil while since i played it so maybe they added some stuff to it

yes 3 classes with 3 trees, but each tree has cross over. there are literally hundreds of combinations of skill creations. The only requirement to move down a tree is level. Plus you get 4 spell slots which you can fill with any spells you like to round out your idea for a class. the only downside is yes they have 3 character models, but I can make the brute into a caster if I wanted to. when You pick a character it is more cosmetic, there are subtle variations between the classes but easily overwritten with some creativity. For example I could create a slightly different arcane archer with any one of the classes. I could turn the alchemist(caster) into a hack a slash warrior with some spell flinging. So it is really driven by your choice of how you want to play regardless of which model you start with. Think of it like eve online you start with base skills that have a pre determined play style, but after that it is up to you to mold the character how you like.

I would relate it to a structured skill based system, as your choices made in a tree determines what your good at, and what spells or attack you have. All choices made in the tree are mostly active ability choices, with a few sprinkling of passive bonuses spread throughout. My brother plays a caster who spawn nothing but tons of demon pets and buffs them with all sorts of crazy shields and crap so when mobs try to kill them it spell reflects back on them while the pets are killing them.

where you put your stat points will determine if your good at melee/range/or spell damage and what kind of gear you can equip.

• BlackMan656BlackMan656 Member Posts: 8

hmm i think u should try   sudden attack great game to check out lolz add me in their ArmnedNCrazy

• timtimertimtimer Member Posts: 5

Yeah i saw torchlight and i guess its not yet out but it really amazed me, its like Diablo game but more nicer

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by timtimer

Yeah i saw torchlight and i guess its not yet out but it really amazed me, its like Diablo game but more nicer

Torchlight has been out forever now. You can buy it just about anywhere online.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

Originally posted by u18bu2sa0k

One more thing before you begin,

even if you will play only in singleplayer ,Patch the game. Its really bad when you forget about it and when you patch it later your saves wont work.

+ the extra stuff and bugfixes.

I bough Dungeon Lords when it first came out. That was one of the quickest uninstalls ever.

How good is it with the patches? Are all the bugs fixed? That thing was a total mess at release, I'd have to say it was on par with Daikatana.image

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-

• sfly2000sfly2000 Member Posts: 168

Neverwinter Nights 1.

Well...don't know how much sandbox it is. Depends on what of the servers you are playing at I guess...

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

I'd Say Risen...

Or

The Witcher

and If you like party based RPG's

Drakensang

Dragon Age

Wops..I noticed this thread is OLD...

Ohh Well..;)

Originally posted by thark

I'd Say Risen...

Or

The Witcher

Drakensang

Dragon Age

Ohh Well..;)

I don't think 6 days is considered old yet.

I've thought about getting Risen, but all the gameplay videos and reviews just make it sound like a very short and linear game.

• Torment1982Torment1982 Member Posts: 156

Tough list of conditions, had to look back through some of my games.  The one that popped into my head though was Gothic 3.  I enjoyed that game although if I recall it was kinda buggy, since its an older game maybe there's been some patches to fix that up.  But its a 3rd person without classes and fairly open even if its not like oblivion open.

For anyone looking for an awesome game to play even if its not in this particular genre, I highly recommend Borderlands.  The quality of that game caught me totally offguard being an extremely effective form of FPS + RPG.  Only reason I recommend it is because I tend to love RPG's and while that one certainly isn't typical to the genre, its also atypically good.

• trurentruren Member Posts: 7
    I suggest Seiken Densetsu 3 and Gauntlet. You should also try Morrowind, Oblivion, Pirates!, Deus Ex and Invisible War.
  • tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

Originally posted by thark
    I'd Say Risen...
    Or
    The Witcher
    Drakensang
    Dragon Age
    Ohh Well..;)
    I don't think 6 days is considered old yet.

I've thought about getting Risen, but all the gameplay videos and reviews just make it sound like a very short and linear game.

Ohh..My Bad..It isn't an old thread...Maybe I was confused with all the recommendations on Dungeon Lords..:)

Risen it's either short or linear