Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I liked the idea of Eve more than I enjoyed the actual game.

helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Just finished the trial with my gf and we can help but feel like maybe we missed something.

We would log in, do a few missions, and then get kind of bored.

The next day, there was excitement to check on our skills. Plan some more skills out, fun. Check the market for a few items and their pricing.

We undock, do a couple missions, then get kind of bored.

I know I know, to enjoy the game you need to find a corp, but most of the corps that will have more than 5 people on won't really take trials.

Will a corp really make that much of a difference in the activities and the challenge involved?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Comments

• VoltlivesVoltlives Member Posts: 280

My friends played this game pretty hard core for a few years even when we were trying other MMOs.  They had their own Corp and a retarded amount of coin.  They spent most of their time mining, building ships, selling them, once n a while blowing stuff up, and it was rinse repeat.  I got bored just during the quest process, which is too bad.  The game is beautiful, vast, everything I thought I wanted in a space based MMO, and sadly it didn't get my subscription.  So no, you're not alone on this one.

END OF LINE_

~V

• Lille7Lille7 Member Posts: 301

I understand you, i feel the same way about EvE, but for me it's just a game i can play to relax, log on do a few missions, check my skill queue, check the market and log off. But still enjoying the time i spend online, even if its just a couple of hours a week.

When i reactived my wow account with 7 free days all i did was log on, and ran around dalaran for about an hour and logged of again.

So EvE it is :)

• NytakitoNytakito Member Posts: 381

Alot of corps won't take trial accounts.  Generally if they go out of the way to recruit a newer member, they want to make sure that player will play.  They view them as an investment, and generally don't want to put time into assisting people who might not be there when the trial expires. 

In short, YES, a good corp does make a big difference (note the adjective), the catch is you may have to wait unti after your trial period to try one and have to hold off your final decision on the game until then; which costs $$.

If there is anything about EVE that is making you want to login daily, then IMO it is worth it to try to build on that.  My experience with EVE is that once it bites, it still takes a while for that bite to settle in..

EVE is also something I play in spurts.. this week, all I've been doing is logging to queue up skills (mostly for what I have planned for this weekend), last week though I was out pvping, ratting, running missions etc. nightly..  Alot of people are like this, seems to be the nature of the beast that is EVE. 

The other option would be to not subscribe and see if 1 or 2 months down the line you still have this itch to see what's goin on in New Eden.  Then you know EVE's got ya.  But you'd have missed out on a whole month or so of training skills.

Of course.. it is you and your wife...

My suggestion..  Read up on rifters.. watch a couple you tube videos if you need some inspiration.. t1 fit a pair of em..

Fly out to lowsec

????

Profit...

(Be prepared to go through a few rifters before you hit the profit part)...

"If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse." - Henry Ford

• DubbleedgeDubbleedge Member Posts: 72

Originally posted by helthros

Just finished the trial with my gf and we can help but feel like maybe we missed something.

We would log in, do a few missions, and then get kind of bored.

The next day, there was excitement to check on our skills. Plan some more skills out, fun. Check the market for a few items and their pricing.

We undock, do a couple missions, then get kind of bored.

I know I know, to enjoy the game you need to find a corp, but most of the corps that will have more than 5 people on won't really take trials.

Will a corp really make that much of a difference in the activities and the challenge involved?

Thanks in advance for your time.

A corp will make a pretty big difference. It gives a sense of direction in a universe that literally tells you nothing. Why people encourge a corp is the sense that there are other people in the world. It can get lonely without one.

But the big thing a corp brings is opening your eyes that that are other things to do in eve. It shows that there is more to eve than running an occasional mission, changing skills, and checking for new items. Corps give an intro to everything well.... good about the game. And without that introduction a lot of people get bored and leave.

Just remember, above all, eve is what you make it. You can do anything or nothing. The game doesn't care. :) The game will never make you do anything you don't want to, the same way it give you a path to epicness. It's up to you to carve your own path.

--OP: check messages for a PM--

• ElGuappoElGuappo Member Posts: 94

To the OP, I feel your pain. Briefly got in to EVE a few years back hoping it would be something along the lines of Elite/Frontier. Really liked the idea of that kind of game made into an MMO and EVE seemed to tick so many boxes. But the game never grabbed me and what seemed at the time like an impenetrable learning curve and corp orientated gameplay made it seem wholly unwelcoming and very tedious.

Part of me still wants to play the thing because it's proven to be such a success in its own right and because it still seems like the Elite/Frontier-style MMO I would love to play. But that first experience was so off-putting I can't bring myself to give it another try, anymore than I can shake the feeling I'm missing out on something.

The ruptured capillaries in your nose belie the clarity of your wisdom.

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662

Originally posted by ElGuappo

To the OP, I feel your pain. Briefly got in to EVE a few years back hoping it would be something along the lines of Elite/Frontier. Really liked the idea of that kind of game made into an MMO and EVE seemed to tick so many boxes. But the game never grabbed me and what seemed at the time like an impenetrable learning curve and corp orientated gameplay made it seem wholly unwelcoming and very tedious.

Part of me still wants to play the thing because it's proven to be such a success in its own right and because it still seems like the Elite/Frontier-style MMO I would love to play. But that first experience was so off-putting I can't bring myself to give it another try, anymore than I can shake the feeling I'm missing out on something.

Before I say anything I just want to make something clear:  Don't get me wrong, I'm not asking for Eve to change, I'm just pointing out why it doesn't tick all of the boxes for me personally....

The reason why I dont play Eve is because I personally prefer to be enveloped in an environment that not only has a pre-written story background, that doesn't just "set the scene" but then encourages the player to progress further into the story.  Unfortunately, any story lines in Eve are disjointed and are of little worth.  And lets face facts, the Agent missions are downright boring and repetitive. 

The issue is that with other MMO's teh player does quests / missions in order to progress through the overall world story line / individual quest arc and also the locations in the environment.  Some could call this "hand holding" personally I disagree.  But in Eve, you have none of that.  so to a PVE'er the gameplay can feel very shallow. 

Personally, I would love to see a more PVE centric space based MMO, perhaps using the "X series" IP.  Like Eve, it could have high security space areas sandwiched between low security areas (thus offering a chance at short cuts but with a risk of being attacked by player pirates).  One that has a background story which envelopes the player and makes them feel as if they are INSIDE the ongoing saga for that area of space.  Personally, I think its a shame that the idea behind a Firefly MMO was scrapped because the idea of everyone owning rickety barge type ships that require constant maintenance and having to do illegal cargo runs whilst keeping out of sight of the corporation appealed to me.

In short, whilst Eve has a wonderful crafting system and economy, from a PVE standpoint it is let down by the absence of story arcs.  But the absence of the story arcs appeals to the very demographic which the game was aimed at:  sandbox loving PVP'ers.  So it did its job, but it doesn't appeal to me.  For me, its not enough just to give me a ship and say "there ya go son, go and seek your fortune", I would also like to be immersed in a game environment that has deep history and situations that I am involved in and perhaps even play a part in.  In short, an interactive story.

Side note:  Also, one thing I've come to realise about space based MMO's is that without the usual terrain / level / progression restrictions and without a purpose, a new player can be left with feeling that there's nothing to do aside from mining , pvp or grinding missions just for skill points.  This could be the same issue that both Jumpgate Evolution and Black Prophecy have to deal with if / when they are launched. 

• Yeah, for me also the idea is great - just never could stick to the actual game.

After much discussion it came down to lack of an actual walking avatar for me and for my husband he hates the time based learning.

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

PvE in eve sure is mainly boring, and the missions you do only do to make some isks.

the fun parts from my point of view were all the geek talk that I else havent done since were 16 or so, there is soo many fitting options, even if some ofc have made their end all be all setups, but as a new player cant fit in at all...sit try figure wth they have done to make it work, or how you want your ship to be setted up and test if it works.

rest of it is all about greed, make the most isk so you can afford the next big space ship, or get enough to a little PvP ship, but for that you should try get into a corp - my friend who got me playing got into a corp that became alliances with 0.0 corp as mainly a mining corp - but he still went into PvP....mind you some of them "warfare leaders" is like your worse picture of a Hardcore elitist....2nd hand info just my view on em from what me friend talked about.

over all EvE is only fun if you can have fun with the idea of the whole warfare machine, ship setups, playing the market....figure where some items is sold for overprices....atleast from my point of view, never had more PvP meself other than gettin killed by afew gate camps - which I sorta loved, since traveling in EvE is freakin boring p     atleast they put in alittle excitement.. ;

hm little edit, aint playing EvE now and not really planning on going back.

• CodenakCodenak Member UncommonPosts: 418

Try Eve university, they're currently in another war, but they exist to show people what can be done in eve and yes they take trial accounts.

Eve U linky (igb and ogb)

http://www.eve-ivy.com/

@Tarka, did you try reading some of the player and ccp created background lore thats here

http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=channel&channelID=3524

And yes Eve doesnt hold your hand, its up to you to find or make your fun in eve.

A good space based MMO formula for me personally would be to take the following and merge it together:

• Good in-depth story background involving many different species (X series, Firefly, Babylon 5, Star Wars, etc).

• Dynamic on-going storylines, the outcomes of which can be altered by players actions.

• Events that occur and thus are tied into the environments dynamic storyline (president of XXX's ship blows up without warning, that faction suspects assassination, YYY faction is accused, all YYY faction ships are subject to spontaneous searches when entering XXX faction space).

• Different factions that players can allie themselves with, each with their own agendas and needs and have their own background stories.

• Missions given out by chosen npc factions (patrol, seek and destroy, bounty hunting, fetch + carry).

• Progression in the environment which can only be done under certain conditions (e.g. particular shield types, modifications to the players ship etc).

• First person view cockpits and twitch based space gameplay.

• Eves crafting and economy systems.

• Avatar system which allows players to visit stations / planet side in order to sell / buy items etc.

• Ability to own stations that can come under attack from npcs.

Optional:  Ability to land on planets, to set up refineries to refine land / sea based raw materials.

What amazes me is that the Events, gameworld storylines and dynamic shifts in the story arcs could all be largely text-based and written on the Development companies website in the form of a Galactic Newsletter (idea taken from Eve).  It could even have "camera" footage showing the events in action (cue badly taken camera footage of a large Presidential type ship blowing up like in the Babylon 5 series).

Originally posted by Codenak

@Tarka, did you try reading some of the player and ccp created background lore thats here

http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=channel&channelID=3524

Thanks for the link, but like all player driven stories, they are most likely disjointed from one another.  And when there isn't one central story arc that pulls all the others together, then it all just becomes chaotic noise.  This is why, for me, the development company has to take control of the larger story arc whilst still leaving room for individuals to create their own stories.  And even then, the player has to feel like they are being involved in that story line. Even if it is in a small and relatively insignificant way. 

Its a case of making the player feel as if they are part of a story that is much bigger than their own experiences.  Yes, Eve does that from a PVP perspective already, but not from a PVE perspective. 

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312

Corps do make quite a difference. They will give you direction and in a lot of cases keep you quite busy. 0.0 Alliance corps often have things constantly going on for you to take part of. Also you become part of something greater and you start realizing taht you have greater assets to protect and manage.  Now there are bad corps that just kind of stagnate with no common direction.

• MaxionVoXMaxionVoX Member Posts: 22

First thing you must do is forget your time in WoW or other WoW clone type of games.

EVE is a true massive multi player game as its all on one server and if you are looking for a yellow brick road to guide you to the end game you will never find it.

Depending on what you like to do and what goals you have set out for yourself the End Game can be and is literally open to you as soon as YOU decide when to do it. Its all PVP and what i mean its always PVP :) everything from building/mining/trading its all PVP.. when i say this im not even talking about the Combat yet!! :)

Boredom in EVE... well that depends on you and what you want to do and who you hook up with game.. the truth is you have no right or wrong way of playing EVE it just is and its called a sand box.. example of my time in EVE

Year 1

The first 6 months hooked up with mission runners and miners all we did was.. well run missions and build crap the guys i was with, all they wanted was billion ISK faction super shiny Battleships with faction fits.. i did not care for that and i am not saying its wrong it just was not for me.

Then i hooked up with Hydra Alliance they took me to Vale of the Silent 0,0 Player owned Sov and did that for about 9 months went with the hard crash course in 0,0 living without any real skill points.. wish i could tell ya a success story here but we got our butts kicked and booted out of 0,0 and at the end of that conflict i was broke and did not know what to do. the missions seemed boring after living in 0,0 killing juicy rats for bounties so i just wandered and did not log in much.

Started building and trading made isk bought some pricey ships and this lasted for about a year..

Year 3

After off and on piracy binges i would go on for fun but still bored i ended up with another alliance in the NC( Northern Coalition) that i have been in for a almost 2 years now and for my play style and what i like this has been the ultimate game play for me. since i have joined i have fought in wars that lasted up to 7 months, we destroyed one of most powerful alliances in EVE's history(Band Of Brothers) Have defended our space against huge coalitions that hate us :)  6 hour battles in which 1500 to 1900 players have been in.. I wish i could really tell you! i have played about every MMO out on the Market and nothing compares to EVE!

A great video when our home system came under siege.. must watch in 720 HD in full screen for max effect lol 

And yes some of the players in that video are new players with limited skill points but they chose to make this the game the way they wanted to play. 

because its what i want to do i understand its not for everyone You have Worm Hole exploration and tbh about million other things you can do in game! And its all up to you and only you! My only advice is don't hold yourself back do what ya want and when you want and well if somebody gets in the way..... expecting me to say thats what guns are for right?? Wrong! thats whats Brains are for!!! :)

• frogifrogi Member Posts: 18

Originally posted by Tarka

Before I say anything I just want to make something clear:  Don't get me wrong, I'm not asking for Eve to change, I'm just pointing out why it doesn't tick all of the boxes for me personally....

The reason why I dont play Eve is because I personally prefer to be enveloped in an environment that not only has a pre-written story background, that doesn't just "set the scene" but then encourages the player to progress further into the story.  Unfortunately, any story lines in Eve are disjointed and are of little worth.  And lets face facts, the Agent missions are downright boring and repetitive. 

The issue is that with other MMO's teh player does quests / missions in order to progress through the overall world story line / individual quest arc and also the locations in the environment.  Some could call this "hand holding" personally I disagree.  But in Eve, you have none of that.  so to a PVE'er the gameplay can feel very shallow. 

Personally, I would love to see a more PVE centric space based MMO, perhaps using the "X series" IP.  Like Eve, it could have high security space areas sandwiched between low security areas (thus offering a chance at short cuts but with a risk of being attacked by player pirates).  One that has a background story which envelopes the player and makes them feel as if they are INSIDE the ongoing saga for that area of space.  Personally, I think its a shame that the idea behind a Firefly MMO was scrapped because the idea of everyone owning rickety barge type ships that require constant maintenance and having to do illegal cargo runs whilst keeping out of sight of the corporation appealed to me.

In short, whilst Eve has a wonderful crafting system and economy, from a PVE standpoint it is let down by the absence of story arcs.  But the absence of the story arcs appeals to the very demographic which the game was aimed at:  sandbox loving PVP'ers.  So it did its job, but it doesn't appeal to me.  For me, its not enough just to give me a ship and say "there ya go son, go and seek your fortune", I would also like to be immersed in a game environment that has deep history and situations that I am involved in and perhaps even play a part in.  In short, an interactive story.

Side note:  Also, one thing I've come to realise about space based MMO's is that without the usual terrain / level / progression restrictions and without a purpose, a new player can be left with feeling that there's nothing to do aside from mining , pvp or grinding missions just for skill points.  This could be the same issue that both Jumpgate Evolution and Black Prophecy have to deal with if / when they are launched. 

EvE is a sandbox.  Well, not really.  EvE is a pile of sand.  In a sandbox, there is a "box" around the sand to keep it  contained.  In EvE, the sand is in a big pile and keeps getting lost in the grass around it.

And I gave it more than the trial time.

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

PvE in Empire being boring and an unpleasant experience? Would've never guessed.

The "idea of Eve" is about interacting with people. If you started trading, production, PvP or just joined Eve University, your experience would be vastly different. Grinding repetitive fedex missions has never gotten anyone subscribed to Eve..

You've accurately guessed that PvE isn't Eve's strong suit. There is some more challenging stuff out there, like living in a wormhole-system, but no matter what, it will only be anjoyable if other players play a role in it.

If you're looking for a PvE mmo, STO or Jumpgate might be for you. But trust me, they feel very singleplayer, so you might as well play freelancer, which does PvE much, much better.

• dzikundzikun Member Posts: 150

I feel the same way about Eve. I love the concept and how the game looks and feels. I also did subscribe for a while but... The gameplay is lacking something...

I don't know what but i did love the micro managment... The skills, the ships... I even found a nice corp that didn't mind a newb... We actually did some stuff as a team (like mining runs etc etc) with voice chat it felt great...

But in between the corp thing ad the micro managment of skills and stuff... It just didn't feel like i was playing a game... Everything from missions to mining was boring.

I many times think of ressubing to EvE but i remind myself that it did feel more like "checking up on your stock on the web" then a actual "game"

I've been uplinked and downloaded, I've been inputted and outsourced. I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading.

I'm a high-tech low-life. A cutting-edge, state-of-the-art, bi-coastal multi-tasker, and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond.

I'm new-wave, but I'm old-school; and my inner child is outward-bound.

I'm a hot-wired, heat-seeking, warm-hearted cool customer; voice-activated and bio-degradable.

RIP George Carlin.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

You are.

Being in a good corp makes all the difference. A lot of EVE's mechanics will suddenly make a lot sense to you when you're operating as part of a group. CCP do a lot to encourage player interaction.

There are a few - a very few - people who can successfully and enoyably play EVE as a solo game. The vast majority of us play it as a group game. Finding a good corp is the major hurdle a new player faces. Read a few of the "I just started EVE" style threads. They divide into 2 kinds; one where the OP finishes saying something like "OMG this game is so awesome, where have you been all my life, EVE?" and the other kind where the OP says "what a pointless game, I can't see why anyone plays it".

In 99% of the first, the new player joined a corp he liked; in 99% of the second, he didn't.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• ryuga81ryuga81 Member UncommonPosts: 351

Originally posted by Tarka

It's the same reason that made me play Eve (and SWG). Most games tell you "you are the hero on an epic journey", along with everyone else, so there are millions of heroes all on the same epic quest. Eve doesn't tell you any story apart from those you make with other people. There is no "epic quest" to kill some boss in an instance (repeatedly). There might be an "epic campaign" where you and your fellow corporate members prepare an assault on "that greedy bastards that own the territory you want for yourselves", wage war, and ultimately win (or suffer a setback, or a defeat, each "ending" being actually different: will you be a powerful member of a ruthless corporation dominating its own area with fear, a stubborn David stuck in its struggle against a mighty Goliath you have almost no chance to defeat, or a lonely survivor of a routed and broken alliance trying to find its own place in the galaxy?). In Eve not everyone is a hero, and those who succeed are "truly" heroes or villains, whose name is known everywhere.

It looks like everyone has to be a warrior and do pvp, but it isn't true: to succeed, a corporation needs everyone. It needs dedicated logistics pilots who will resupply those who make stuff, then the industrial backbone needs people who build stuff, and others who mine stuff, and those need to be protected from NPCs and occasional raiders. So you don't have to enjoy pvp to find your own place. Chances are, there will be dark times when an alliance needs everyone to jump on their best ship and fight for survival, but that is not the norm.

• frogifrogi Member Posts: 18

Originally posted by Malcanis

You are.

Being in a good corp makes all the difference. A lot of EVE's mechanics will suddenly make a lot sense to you when you're operating as part of a group. CCP do a lot to encourage player interaction.

There are a few - a very few - people who can successfully and enoyably play EVE as a solo game. The vast majority of us play it as a group game. Finding a good corp is the major hurdle a new player faces. Read a few of the "I just started EVE" style threads. They divide into 2 kinds; one where the OP finishes saying something like "OMG this game is so awesome, where have you been all my life, EVE?" and the other kind where the OP says "what a pointless game, I can't see why anyone plays it".

In 99% of the first, the new player joined a corp he liked; in 99% of the second, he didn't.

To me, you just made the point that EvE is a good social networking site.  Which is reinforced by the recent launch of eveGate, their Facebook clone.

CCP found a way to get people to pay $14.99 a month for FaceBook.  They even gave you Farmville on the latest expansion

• CodenakCodenak Member UncommonPosts: 418

@Robokapp - You did realise you could join uni fleets to go shoot stuff and die in a blaze of glorious fire in? If there isnt a fleet you could also, heavens, form one and lead it? Eve U actively encourages new pilots to experience FCing.

@Tarka - The "story arcs" within Eve are for the most part generated by the players themselves, by what they do in the game.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

If you are looking for a good PVE game, EVE is defintiely not it. (despite actually having a plethora of PVE activities, none involve story telling nor can be considered interesting except to those who really seem to enjoy them.

EVE is truely about the player created drama, from the epic struggles in 0.0, to the wormhole corps and raiders who lie within them, to the mercencaries in empire who war dec people for money and sheer fun.

Its the chance of dying that keeps the game fun, even when doing the most mundane activities such as hauling cargo through empire and you risk getting suicide ganked.

EVE's not for everyone, but if you didn't join a corporation that was focused on your fields of interest you were doing it wrong I'm afraid (unless you really love soloing for some reason) and without the player interaction, you are just missing out completely about what EVE is all about.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SanHorSanHor Member UncommonPosts: 336

Originally posted by frogi

You are.

To me, you just made the point that EvE is a good social networking site.  Which is reinforced by the recent launch of eveGate, their Facebook clone.

CCP found a way to get people to pay $14.99 a month for FaceBook.  They even gave you Farmville on the latest expansion

You are entitled to your opinion but such missconception can only mean that you haven't spend much time in EVE, if any.

EVE has its flaws and by no means I intend to defend it by saying it is perfect. However, EVE has a very indept sistem and multiple possibilities to choose from, thus being far away from a social networking tool.

About the comment from other poster:

"There are a few - a very few - people who can successfully and enoyably play EVE as a solo game."

This is not quite true. Apart from PvP, all other tasks can be played solo and some even make more sense that way than playing in group - i.e. trader. Perhaps it is more fun to play with group of people but social interaction can also be achieved through negotiations, mercs etc. This means in order to be successful and have fun you are not strictly limited to joining a corp. For a reasonable amount of ISK many corps/alliances will allow you safe pass/ mining/ trading etc. throughout their sistems and mercs will happly clear anyone who might be standing in your way.

EDIT:

Add this to what Kyleran said and you should get a whole picture.

My opininon - playing in group is more fun but not mandatory.

Originally posted by frogi

You are.

So structuring a massively multiplayer game to encourage player interaction makes it  a "facebook clone"?

Gotcha.

How's life under that bridge?

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Here is my response to this thread.   

The need for the human factor.   <<<  my blog

Originally posted by Teala

Here is my response to this thread.   

The need for the human factor.   <<<  my blog

That first paragraph just comes across as really passive-aggressive. If people want to disagree with you, all that defensive name-calling wont stop them. It will only encourage them to do it more aggressively.