Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server merges coming starting on July 7th

LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

This e-mail just landed in my inbox:

-------

Beginning July 7th, 2010 at approximately 10:00 AM PDT, we will start the process of merging the three current U.S. servers of Telon into one server. It is our hope that this integration will result in a more consistent and higher player population which will, in turn, lead to an even more enjoyable and beneficial player experience.

Additionally, scheduled in August, SOE is planning to merge the Halgar server into the consolidated server mentioned above. Please read the forums for the specific date and downtime, as it is yet to be determined. Please note that the processes outlined in this email will occur for both the July and the August server merge; if you have further questions regarding the implications of the two scheduled consolidations, please read VGPlayers.com

We estimate a downtime of 24 hours to complete each of the two the merges respectively.

Help determine Vanguard’s future! We'll be hosting a poll on the Vanguard forums, beginning Tuesday June 8th, to determine the new name of the consolidated world server. Click on the button below to give your input and vote for your favorite!

Vote For New Server Name

Characters

For the first consolidation, we will move any character that is over level 10 or any character under level 10 that has logged in between July 7, 2009 and July 7, 2010. When the Halgar server is merged, we will move any character that is over level 10 or any character under level 10 that has logged in 1 year previous to the date of the Halgar merge.

Character Naming

Character name priority is based on a combination of when the character was first created and last played. Each character that has a duplicate name after either of the server merges and does not have requisite priority to keep that name will be flagged, and upon the next attempted login of that character, the account holder will have to choose a new name before that character can login. If you have a mule character (a low level character used for inventory storage), we respectfully ask that you please delete it and create a new one in case there are other players who used that name on active characters on a pre-merge server so that they will have a chance to keep the character name they play with.

Guild Names

Each Guild has a separate ID and will not be affected by a move. Two guilds with the same name can exist on the server. Should a guild wish to change their name they can petition Customer Service.

Housing

In conjunction with each server merge, housing plot purchase price and current upkeep balance will be returned via mail to the most recently created character on the account owning the house. The building materials required to construct the house as well as the fixtures and items in the house will be returned to the owner via a housing escrow merchant.

Boats

After each server merge, boats will be flagged and upon the next attempted login of the character that owns the boat, the account holder will have to choose a new name for the boat.

VGPlayers Issues

The data displayed in VGPlayers will continue to show the pre-server merge data for a short period of time after the merges occur. Within a few days following the conclusion of each of the merges, the data will update and begin displaying the new stats for all characters. Please be aware that this delay in updating will likely take from 2 to 4 days.

Mail

Mail will stay in the system and transfer over to the new server, so you do not need to do anything!

Corpses

All corpses will be purged and any items left on such corpses as of the date of each server merge can be retrieved at the altar. Experience on such corpse(s) will be returned to you.

Friends List

Your friends list and ignore list will be preserved.

Market Items

Items in escrow and items placed in the market as of the start of each merge process will not be moved from the old server to the new one.

For all the detailed information regarding the server mergers, please visit VGPlayers.com

Comments

• endersadvocendersadvoc Member Posts: 31

As a player, this is great news! I think this game will benefit greatly from a single server set up and will help populate the world and draw in new players.

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519

Originally posted by endersadvoc

As a player, this is great news! I think this game will benefit greatly from a single server set up and will help populate the world and draw in new players.

Doubt it, this is the sign that SoE only wants the current player bases money. Everyone subbed now can pay for one server n they can still make lil money off ya.

Things not to expect in the future because of the merge.

Content

New player base

Things to expect because of the merge.

More higher level people to group with.

Its the sign of the future death of Vanguard or F2P model LOTRO is moving too.

Good Luck Vanguardanites hope all goes well.

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

this just means there will be even more max level people running around. this will probably do next to nothing for newbie/lowbie leveling population.

• SoludeSolude Member UncommonPosts: 691

Err there are as many people 11-20 as there are 31-40 as there are 51-54.  And anyone at any level can mentor and EARN XP to help low levels.  Leveling in VG is super easy, doing the "main" quest lines is super easy, getting your learned skills is super easy.  Now that said what this does do is increase spawn competition so I hope they plan to ramp it up since right now two groups/people doing the same area is awful.

Also I didn't get this email so... legit?  Why 3-1 then Euro.  Why not 2-1, 2-1.  Anyway we'll see how it goes but the joy of shared dungeons is that really you hope no one else just came in before you.  Which is why outside of the forums instancing is preferable.

because no one is playin in EU too? Maybe dunno prolly isnt legit then if its not on vgplayers

• encopittencopitt Member UncommonPosts: 36

Great...

THANKS SOE!

I just resubbed and was having a decent time, and they decide to actually pull the plug...

Irritating as hell, considering I suffered through 12 months post launch, and then finally, when I heard they'd fixed 90% of the issues I quit over, I come back, and they try to fleece me for a monthly rate...

F you Sony... Seriously... I've finally had enough.

Thank god they're not running the SW:TOR MMO

• zeowyrmzeowyrm Member Posts: 746

Originally posted by encopitt

Great...

THANKS SOE!

I just resubbed and was having a decent time, and they decide to actually pull the plug...

Irritating as hell, considering I suffered through 12 months post launch, and then finally, when I heard they'd fixed 90% of the issues I quit over, I come back, and they try to fleece me for a monthly rate...

How is a server merge pulling the plug?

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832

The reason they're doing it the way they are is because 3 of the servers are in the US and one is in EU, so it will take some time to get the EU one merged into the US one. There is no reason to have even two servers, since everyone can fit on and enjoy one server together. One server = better population & more people to play with.

I am incredibly happy about this decision, to merge the servers together. :)

• ElirionElirion Member Posts: 160

Originally posted by Splinki
    The reason they're doing it the way they are is because 3 of the servers are in the US and one is in EU, so it will take some time to get the EU one merged into the US one. There is no reason to have even two servers, since everyone can fit on and enjoy one server together. One server = better population & more people to play with.

Agreed. I left because I could rarely find people to group with. This may cause me to give the game another try.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Great...

THANKS SOE!

Listen, I"m sure eventualy they will pull the plug but with such a large game world and a small playerbase it really doesn't make sense to have several servers.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832

Originally posted by Elirion

Originally posted by Splinki

Agreed. I left because I could rarely find people to group with. This may cause me to give the game another try.

There has been a very large rise in population on Seradon recently. Our MMORPG.com-based guild, "After Hours", is now up to 440+ characters and about 100 of those happen to be alts. We're doing very well. People are running groups 24/7 (quite literally, as we have people from all over the world on at all different times of the day).

Should definitely give it a go if you've had any interest in Vanguard, ever. Despite the server merge (which was bound to happen) we seem to be doing pretty well at this point. :)

• dirtysidedirtyside Member UncommonPosts: 100

so no more pvp ?

• outbytuesdayoutbytuesday Member Posts: 4

Vanguard rules and this is great news.... End of story!

After playing Darkfall with a single US server I say this sounds like more fun to be had.

Seriously at this point if you boohoo its just dumb.  Play and have fun!

• Dwarfman420Dwarfman420 Member Posts: 207

Im excited for the merge personally.

The most frustrating aspect of the game I didn't care for was how hard it is to find people to group with for quest 28-40ish.

With a world as big as Telon,  the more ingame, the more fun.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

Coming back to the game.  This should be fun!

• AlyvianAlyvian Member Posts: 342

i agree with most people here, the server merge is a good thing. Its sad taht the pvp server will be banished aswell, but as a poster said its for the best (for now) and well if the population rises enough i am sure something can be sorted to make the pvpers happy aswell (maybe a i want to pvp flag?)

• lordpenquinlordpenquin Member Posts: 129

Originally posted by zeowyrm

Great...

THANKS SOE!

Because the next logical step after all the servers collapsing into one server is the shutdown of the game.

Seriously, this game will die like Matrix online did.  Unless sony pulls a turbine and switches to free to play with a cash shop.

I think we have only begun to see the "mmo bubble" start to burst.  Next year premium mmos will start dropping like flies.

With 20% unemployment in the united states, people have to make the choice between food for their family or a mmo.

(You always have to double the official number ~ 10% right now ~ because the unemployment rate only tracks people currently applying for unemployment.  There are people that have used up all their unemployment, people that are underemployed, people that have given up looking for a job, etc.)

Europe isn't doing much better.  By 2012 the world will be facing a global financial meltdown.  There will be no time for games.

• DmyankeeDmyankee Member UncommonPosts: 135

Because the next logical step after all the servers collapsing into one server is the shutdown of the game.

Seriously, this game will die like Matrix online did.  Unless sony pulls a turbine and switches to free to play with a cash shop.

I think we have only begun to see the "mmo bubble" start to burst.  Next year premium mmos will start dropping like flies.

With 20% unemployment in the united states, people have to make the choice between food for their family or a mmo.

(You always have to double the official number ~ 10% right now ~ because the unemployment rate only tracks people currently applying for unemployment.  There are people that have used up all their unemployment, people that are underemployed, people that have given up looking for a job, etc.)

Europe isn't doing much better.  By 2012 the world will be facing a global financial meltdown.  There will be no time for games.

Wow that is optimistic. In all honesty the US is showing signs of recovery. I am not going by what Wall Street says or does, I am going by how my family was affected ... My brother and Sister-in-law work in Retail and service industry and both said thier companies saw a profit last month. I work for a company that is expanding in the US to meet demand (currently we can not supply our product fast enough). I like the premium MMO subscription based plans, over F2P but i know that the F2P market is expanding and Turbine along with NCSoft and other companies is leading the way. I think that gaming will continue and VG will start to make a come back, with a single server over multiple. I am fairly positive this is a good thing. I feel bad for the PVP group as they are the most affected.

Artorus Giltanus - Ranger EQ1 Retired
    Arturien - 90 Deathknight WoW

• bumfmanbumfman Member Posts: 276

Originally posted by lordpenquin

Great...

THANKS SOE!

Well everyone is entitled to thier own opinion, nobody knows for sure if the plug will be pulled or not. As for the MMO bubble popping, i think mmo's will remain strong due to people needing hobbys to keep thier sanity . I for one, would pass on that extra cup of coffee daily to have enough money to pay for 15 bucks a month ( and mmos are certainly cheaper than hanging out in a bar for us old people) As for the complete colapsing of the economy by 2012, I hope things will shape up.

Heck some people believe the end of the world is in 2012. I dont .. i just think those poor Mayan guys either a) did'nt take the time to count thier calandar that high, or b) they were getting slaughtered while updating it.

Work hard Play Harder

Originally posted by bumfman

Great...

THANKS SOE!

Well everyone is entitled to thier own opinion, nobody knows for sure if the plug will be pulled or not. As for the MMO bubble popping, i think mmo's will remain strong due to people needing hobbys to keep thier sanity . I for one, would pass on that extra cup of coffee daily to have enough money to pay for 15 bucks a month ( and mmos are certainly cheaper than hanging out in a bar for us old people) As for the complete colapsing of the economy by 2012, I hope things will shape up.

Heck some people believe the end of the world is in 2012. I dont .. i just think those poor Mayan guys either a) did'nt take the time to count thier calandar that high, or b) they were getting slaughtered while updating it.

The Mayan Calandar is a circle ... its the official Earth Birthday! it will be a big party!!

I agree with the its cheaper than a bar ... i and my wife go with friends once a month to Karoke ... well thats 100 dollars ... playing VG and WoW is 30  for 30 days ... much cheaper than my 100 dollar night ...

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Great...

THANKS SOE!

Logical, pehaps. Ineveitable? Not necessarily. (or at least right away)

DAOC has collapsed most of their servers down to a single universe and from all accounts the game is going strong.  Sure, one day I'm sure they'll pull the plug, but the game has had a long run and no game can live forever.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Look at SWG ... it is still floating and around ...

Originally posted by Dmyankee

Look at SWG ... it is still floating and around ...

Till SWTOR is released. Vanguard is doomed regardless unless it goes to a F2P system anyways. No one wants to pay the 15 bucks to play this damn game anymore. Yes the Isle is packed but its packed with Non Subbed people that once they finish the isle they are poof no where to be found. I made the mistake several times listening to all you VanBois n VanGurls that say oh pops up pops doing this and so what because i like fantasy mmo's and yet everytime its a barren landscape and no one is grouping like these vanbois/gurls would like you to believe. I like vanguard but it screwed to many people to many times and it will never get played by those players again unless they can play it for free.