Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan Levels 1-20

fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868

If age of conan had released the game as good and flawless as levels 1-20 of that game, would it have been the best next mmo you would still be playing and why?

Comments

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Absolutely. My gf and I drop WoW to try every new MMO we can, and we did for AoC. We got so hyped while playing the beta, we pre-ordered collector's editions and couldn't wait to play the game. And it was pretty great until level 35, then we looked at each other and said, "Dammnit, back to WoW."

Mind you, WoW is a fantastic game, but we've been tired of it for many years already.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

No, because 1-20 is still too linear, far from flawless, and way too solo oriented.  I think AoC is a good game and recommend everyone play it once to max level, but several of it's mechanics prevented it from being the next big MMO.  While 1-20 is the most polished portion of the game, later levels (from about 35 on) feels more like a MMO.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Originally posted by fistorm

If age of conan had released the game as good and flawless as levels 1-20 of that game, would it have been the best next mmo you would still be playing and why?

We'll see next year.  SWTOR is basically a whole game designed the way AoC 1-20 is.  (with different combat and stuff obviously)

1-20 was designed by Funcom to be a 100% solo experience.  Late in beta-testing (based on player feedback) they adjusted it to have some multi-player parts.

I enjoyed AoC on launch.  And I enjoyed it all the way to 80.  I had no issues with either bugs or lack of content.  I know some other people did.   To me, the whole game pretty much WAS designed the way 1-20 was.   I quit AoC because of the heavy emphasis on PvP (which i dislike) and because my computer is really old and couldn't run raids (either pve or pvp) well.  Other than that, I would probably still be playing it.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

I don't personally think 1-20 are all that great to begin with.  I played through Tortage and figured if that was the best part of the game and I had already played that as a trial, why in the world would I pay to play something inferior, when I wasn't all that impressed with what I had already played?

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

I like the later levels / instances like Ymir's pass / Pyramid of the Ancients much more. The new Khitai zones are more fun and a lot more open as well. Tortage is pretty linear. The voice overs for all quests in Tortage is nice, but still I prefer the other zones. 

• Deadman87Deadman87 Member Posts: 253

The worst part of AoC at this moment is (imo) Tortage!

Not because I have done Tortage a gazillion times, but because the small and cramped environments just kill it for me. You can't really go where you want to, and it just feels too much like a single player game. I think Gaute was wrong when he (or whomever) thought that making the first part of AoC single player would be a prudent choice. They realized it too late unfortunately, and made it into some horrible abomination that's crossed between beeing single player and MMO.

I loved Tortage the first time. I enjoyed it the second. Now I just plain abhor it and can't wait until I get to go do quests in either khopshef, wild lands, conarch valley or the great wall.

I think that something needs to be done with Tortage when Funcom can afford to find the time. I'm just not sure what that would be.

It is preferable not to travel with a dead man.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by Deadman87

The worst part of AoC at this moment is (imo) Tortage!

Not because I have done Tortage a gazillion times, but because the small and cramped environments just kill it for me. You can't really go where you want to, and it just feels too much like a single player game. I think Gaute was wrong when he (or whomever) thought that making the first part of AoC single player would be a prudent choice. They realized it too late unfortunately, and made it into some horrible abomination that's crossed between beeing single player and MMO.

I loved Tortage the first time. I enjoyed it the second. Now I just plain abhor it and can't wait until I get to go do quests in either khopshef, wild lands, conarch valley or the great wall.

I think that something needs to be done with Tortage when Funcom can afford to find the time. I'm just not sure what that would be.

The problem is, if you remember, Tortage and the first 20 levels were originally stated to be designed as a singleplayer game. Originally, you were going to be able to buy the game and you could play the first 20 levels free forever. You weren't going to be charged a sub until you wanted to go into the "real" world. Also, once you subbed you were supposed to be able to skip Tortage for every character made after you got the first one to 20 and subbed. Tortage was never meant to be repeated time after time whenever you rolled an alt, and I have no idea why they changed it.

Now they have the "unlimited free trial", which basically brings forth the original concept of not subbing 'til you leave Tortage. The only thing they need to do is implement the "skip to 20" mechanic and the game will be closer to it's originally intended state.

I still want drunken brawling in and my pissing emote brought back.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

I think Tortage is the game's biggest weakness.  The early levels are critical and the game has you zoning into the inn about 20 times an hour.  For people on average "WoW" computers, that's alot of loading.

The night time/daytime bit is confusing and adds even more time spent loading.

Tortage Underhalls has three sections, it's multi-level and it has several entrances.  It's not ultra complicated but it's not newbie friendly either.

To me the best low level hub is the Wild Lands.  The first batch of quests are right in the town's back yard and the one dungeon in the town has a very simple layout/objective.  Overall there's alot less running, the objectives are clear and you don't do very much zoning at all.

What's a shame is they put so much work into Tortage but made alot of critical mistakes in it's implementation.  I guess Funcom is at a point where they've invested so much in it that they don't want to change it.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

I like and dislike tortage.

I like it because it has a strong story, in game cut scenes and that it seems to have a decent population.

I dislike it becuase in many ways it's very poorly done.

For instance, the whole town feels like state set. I changed over to the night time part for the destiny story and while running through the buildigns I saw a whore wavign to the people below. But there was no one below. The entire scene had the feeling of a disney world attraction with the animatronic robots waiving and calling out.

If you finish the destiny quest and come back to finish side quests those side quests are presented as if the destiny quest was never finished.

There are also some bugs in the dialogue that lead to dialogue that doesnt' makes sense.

It's fun and I like the story bits but some of the story bits lead to the main character having it in for the tyrant when the main character doesn't have much if any exposure to the tyrant. there is nothign personal in it.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo