Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Current Game for Role-Playing and PvP?

acrb101acrb101 Member UncommonPosts: 3

I just ended my subscription with my previous MMO, and now I am looking for another one. Though I am looking for something different this time around.  I was following Mortal Online, but apparently it isn't delivering as promised. So instead of waiting for another Darkfall fiasco, I decided to move on.

What would you say the best currently released game for  RP, and PvP is?

Comments

• rozenblade1rozenblade1 Member CommonPosts: 501

Well, it's kinda hard to say...

If you like RP based on a large body of pre-existing lore, AoC offers that...Despite what you might hear or read, there is actually a decent RP community in AoC......and of course, if you want PvP you can go with the PvP-RP server Cimmeria.  Wiccana has a good RP community as well, and I hear the PvP minigames are pretty active.

PLAYING: NOTHING!!!
    PLAYED:FFXI, LotRO, AoC, WAR, DDO, Megaten, Wurm, Rohan, Mabinogi, RoM

WAITING FOR: Dust 514

• acrb101acrb101 Member UncommonPosts: 3

I was considering playing AoC, so I downloaded the trial. It wasn't super buggy, but it had this annoying graphical glitch where the water would appear in front of the character. I'm guessing this isn't existing in the actual game? 

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823

If you are happy with limited PvP I would go Lotro, if you want more PvP then AoC, even more PVP go WH. None are perfect options mind you.

• PATLAKAPATLAKA Member Posts: 16

Cabal Online  

• jeretsujeretsu Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by PATLAKA

Cabal Online  

Was that a joke? I have never heard that there is RP in cabal online.

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

EVE, if you've enough geek in you, can't be beat. It's difficult to not roleplay in the setting, all things considered. It takes some serious transgressions to break one's immersion here.

If you must have fantasy, then I'd agree that Age of Conan is your best current bet for RPPvP, if you can deal with (or even appreciate) the often comical 'I piss blood and shit iron' machismo of it all.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • iamtrojaniamtrojan Member Posts: 4

how about Ultima Online? even though it was so old.

• sekrogsekrog Member Posts: 261

It's going to take an open mind and some patience, but in the six years I've been playing MMO's, nothing approaches Ryzom for Roleplaying.  The PvP is solid too, but unfortunately the two don't always go hand-in-hand.

www.ryzom.com/en/features.html#community

It has a 21-day trial, although you'll begin on Silan, a starter island meant to act as a tutorial.  You'll probably find little roleplay there, but once you move to the mainland, you can shoot a tell out in "region" chat and you're bound to find a good response for roleplay opportunities.

Here's what I think Ryzom has going for it.  These are characteristics that really support RP.

1.  Mature and friendly community.

2.  Unique and interesting lore.

3.  Emotes out the wazoo.

4.  Player-crafted stuff is only solid loot in the game.

Good luck in your search!

By the way, Dark Age of Camelot is a close second...at least it used when I played (2005)

• Z3r0_coolZ3r0_cool Member Posts: 5

The best currently released game for RP, and PvP  would probably be Darkfall :)

• jonrd463jonrd463 Member UncommonPosts: 607
    Originally posted by Z3r0_cool

The best currently released game for RP, and PvP  would probably be Darkfall :)

People RP in Darkfall? All I ever saw were people running around with lulzy names ganking noobs. Unless they're RPing complete douchebags....

"You'll never win an argument with an idiot because he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous

• WavinstriderWavinstrider Member Posts: 24

You could try STO if you like sci-fi rp 

• JamesJonesJamesJones Member Posts: 4

Playing Sho Online right now but not much ppl

if you are a pvp style come and check it out

http://shoonline.neofun.com/

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715

Originally posted by Saerain

EVE, if you've enough geek in you, can't be beat. It's difficult to not roleplay in the setting, all things considered. It takes some serious transgressions to break one's immersion here.

If you must have fantasy, then I'd agree that Age of Conan is your best current bet for RPPvP, if you can deal with (or even appreciate) the often comical 'I piss blood and shit iron' machismo of it all.

Are you kidding me? It has some decent background lore to be sure, but with the sheer amount of metagaming in terms of timecard trade and alt accounts that goes on, serious "transgressions" are made regarding general MMO gameplay, let alone RP. 

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• JonathanQ917JonathanQ917 Member Posts: 8

Originally posted by Kordesh

Are you kidding me? It has some decent background lore to be sure, but with the sheer amount of metagaming in terms of timecard trade and alt accounts that goes on, serious "transgressions" are made regarding general MMO gameplay, let alone RP. 

Well you don't have to be involved in that persay. You can easily find a Corp that RP's and is very nice to play with.

• LevArisLevAris Member UncommonPosts: 13

Originally posted by JonathanQ917

Originally posted by Kordesh

Well you don't have to be involved in that persay. You can easily find a Corp that RP's and is very nice to play with.

I Agree. Eve is awesome. RP, comes pretty natural because it's the future, not the past where current mannerisms are completely out of place and often comical. Since the community is fairly mature, You rarely get to enjoy your guild being destroyed because your 12-year old guild master is having a bad day. I've played too many games like that (WOW). I was in a corp where i was the youngest at 27 and it was great fun. Eve is not a short-term game. So, if you want to be endgame in like 2 days as in most other mmos, give it a shot, but dont expect much because you probably won't enjoy the pace. It's more casual than most mmos since you can log in, set up your skill training and log off for a couple days and not feel like you've wasted that time not leveling. Give it a shot, even if you think it's not for you at first, you may end up liking it.

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

I think you got good advice above. Have seen good RPing on AoC Wicanna, in EVE, and Ryzom. I didn't see any RP in DF besides as was mentioned those RPing 'douches.' But I imagine it does exist and is a great game. The others mentioned I don't know about.

Did a raid where a guy gave a nice little pep talk speech involving the game lore on AoC recently. Was once in a Corp that referred to us all as captain and stuff in vent and witnessed an election and political rally in Ryzom.
    And all have good PvP imho.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Eve. At least until World of darkness online is released.

Most PvP games have little or no RP. UO used to have both and so did the first Lineage.

• LevArisLevAris Member UncommonPosts: 13

Originally posted by Loke666

Eve. At least until World of darkness online is released.

Most PvP games have little or no RP. UO used to have both and so did the first Lineage.

Agreed. The first lineage has great RP as well.

• Fallen Earth is your game..pvp in some areas of the world..has rp guilds..its a perfect setting for rp trust me...and the devs are some of the hardest working iv seen..they patch new stuff very very frequent...pets are comming next patch, player housing soon..and its not an instanced game...

• CavedethCavedeth Member Posts: 6

I 2nd the vote for Fallen Earth.  I'm in an RP clan and have had interaction with many others.  Its post-apocolyptic so it fits the enviroment you're looking for and is alot of fun, with great GMs and helpfull folks.   There's a 10 day trial, which may or may not give you time to get some RP going, but it will give you a taste of the game at least.  Check it out!

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Fallen Earth? PvP? Seriously? The factions don't even mean anything in PvP. It's bascially a very confined FFA Deathmatch.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• CavedethCavedeth Member Posts: 6

Everything changes Friday the 7th with the release of 1.4 check the main site forums for details.

No more buff med stacking to high heaven.  Bloodsports with 4 different gamestyles (Deathmatch, Capture the Flag, Assault, one other I'm forgetting).  Factions are getting a work-over too but won't be completely finished.  Some changes to faction towns too (Open world PvP areas).

Oh, and Clan vs Clan wars.

*shrug* It fit pretty close, it was just a suggestion.  Still doesnt hurt to have a look.

• SuilebhainSuilebhain Member UncommonPosts: 57

I was in the Fallen Earth beta and 99% of the time I was lost. The townie NPC's would say, "go out and get me some rat meat" or something like that and I could never find the rats. Then I was instructed to go to another area and fight some guys on a bridge and they kept coming to the point where I ran out of ammo.

While that kinda stuff has little to do with RP, it does have to do with frustration level, and as no one was teaming, I found myself overwhelmed most of the time and back in the clone bank with no gear. Now, as I said, that was beta, so maybe they changed that a little or maybe people are more willing to team.

I kinda lost my taste for LoTR as an environment. I prefer my fantasy a bit darker, and wished to high heaven that Failcom would have set up a PVE-RP server in AoC instead of giving us only an option to be ganked at the rez pad. I waited four years and built a rig to play that game.

In EVE, from what I understand, you never leave the ship. I guess all communication takes place over...communicators.

I might try Ryzom, I am beginning to jones for a game and until Secret World comes out (unless it goes the way of all new games) I am without one.