Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shader 3.0... Impressions?

WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Hey all,

So, I've been awaiting the update to Pixel Shader 3.0 to see its overall effect on EQ2; not only in terms of visuals, but in terms of performance.. does the increased use of the GPU have a positive effect on performance overall, etc?

I've read that they're still tweaking it and there are various issues with texturemaps getting borked in some cases, but overall I'm curious to know what people think of the update overall.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
- Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

Comments

• orlacorlac Member Posts: 549

I have run it on my box, a middle of the road rig, with no drop in framerate. Looks nice, but has a plastic coated feel. The main problem for me was TDRs, or GPU resets. It seems the code does not allow for long timeouts in the GPU.

Also, no CPU shadows which I prefer...

After using it for a bit,  and touring the world, I turned it off. Still needs work....

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

same as poster above got it turned on and properbly faster than previous turned it off again, it just needs improvement, and didnt feen any performance boost, but again were very short since didnt like the minor "improvement" in visuals.  it did look so great on screenshots but....well.

think they bended to the impatience of the customers and SOE promised it out too soon.

needless to say but am not impressed.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

That is has serious problems and wasn't ready to be released but that people keep complaining on here when they should be posting on the official forums and letting the devs know the problems so they can fix them because THIS site if not the official site and the devs won't even see the post.

• DasterdlyDasterdly Member Posts: 30

Some areas benefit alot visually, other areas it is hardly noticable.  The performance isnt there yet, and theer have been some communications from the producers that they are aware and are working on tweaks.  Hopefully soon, but for now, I am running with out Shader 3

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Hmmmm, so it's there... but not fully "there" yet.

Well, I'll keep an eye on it, then. Might be wanting to come back to EQ2 again at some point in the foreseeable future and would be nice to come back to an upgraded Norrath.

Thanks for the feedback :)

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

There was a pretty huge dip in performance on my laptop, and only certain environments look any better.  Character models are far more detailed, but they all look like they've been standing outside in a a rainstorm.

• ShortspellShortspell Member UncommonPosts: 78

How do you turn this feature on?  I read somewhere about ticking a box in options, but I couldn't find the box they were talking about (sorry, haven't got the information to hand on which particular box was mentioned)

• orlacorlac Member Posts: 549

The box is in your performance tab.

The problem is that like some 3D movies, the 3.0 shaders were retro-fitted to the game. As a result, many are getting TDRs or GPU timeout crashes.

The devs have stated it's not finished, but is an ongoing project.

It looks great, but as mentioned earlier some stuff looks plastic coated.