Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it worth joining EQ2 now?

jaimerjaimer Member Posts: 4

Good day,

I am enjoying the free time that finishing College and only being able to find part-time work in my field brings.

I am thinking about getting into EQ2. I played EQ from 1999 (when I was 12, yikes) until 2004, then for a few brief stints here and there from 04' until 07'.  

I have tried out a few MMORPGs over the years but never found any as fun as EQ. Most recently I gave  WoW  a whirl at a friends suggestion and thought, "Well, this is okay, but its really easy and boring, and almost everyone online is a d bag". 

So I have a few questions about returning to Norrath.

Is the game worth joining at this point in time? (ie has it been watered down like EQ post PoP?)

Does EQ2 have a big enough population to not feel alone? Is there large amount of grouping needed?

Is the game very social? As a newb would I be able to find groups/guild?

Is EQ2 difficult like EQ used to be?

I used to play a lot on Tallon Zek where it was PvP teams and I found it rather fun, is there a server like that out there?

Overall, would you recommend EQ2 to an old EQ nut? Why?

Thanks in advance,

- Jamie

Comments

• LienhartLienhart Member UncommonPosts: 662

Why are you playing an MMO if youu want a hard game?

Go 1v1 PvP based game if you want hard games. (ie. StarCraft, StarCraft 2, Super Street Fighter IV, or any DoTA based game if you enjoy losing because 4/5 of your team are knobs).

I live to go faster...or die trying.
  • jaimerjaimer Member Posts: 4

Thanks for replying but you really didn't answer any questions.

Do you/did you play EQ2?  

Also, this is a MMORPG website (as the url tells us). I took a brief look at your previous posts and it seems like you are not really a fan of the genre.

I mean, it is like purposefully going to a stamp collectors website and saying "stamps are lame, you might want to try collecting coins". 

I am not trying to be a troll or derail the topic (I still want answers). But,  I came back to check the topic and was glad there was a reply, and then I read it and thought, "That was pointless."

Then again, this reply is pointless too. 

• LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385

Looks to me like you just got pimp slapped Lienhart.

• CymTyrCymTyr Member Posts: 166

Originally posted by jaimer

Good day,

I am enjoying the free time that finishing College and only being able to find part-time work in my field brings.

I am thinking about getting into EQ2. I played EQ from 1999 (when I was 12, yikes) until 2004, then for a few brief stints here and there from 04' until 07'.  

I have tried out a few MMORPGs over the years but never found any as fun as EQ. Most recently I gave  WoW  a whirl at a friends suggestion and thought, "Well, this is okay, but its really easy and boring, and almost everyone online is a d bag". 

Is the game worth joining at this point in time? (ie has it been watered down like EQ post PoP?)

Does EQ2 have a big enough population to not feel alone? Is there large amount of grouping needed?

I used to play a lot on Tallon Zek where it was PvP teams and I found it rather fun, is there a server like that out there?

Thanks in advance,

- Jamie

Hello, Jamie!

In my humble opinion, EQ2 is definitely worth joining. It has been watered down since launch, and is more solo-friendly, but is still more challenging in some respects compared to many other mmos.

EQ2 has some servers with high pops and quite a few with medium pops. I play on a medium pop server and I always see people as I lvl up, granted maybe not 20 or 30 in a zone, but I see several whenever I go exploring any given zone.

EQ2 is not as difficult as EQ used to be, hell EQ2 is not as difficult as EQ2 used to be. The primary reason is a lot of its players are at or close to cap, so it has eased the lvling process to get closer to cap so you can be a part of the action sooner.

I believe there are one or two pvp servers but I'm not 100%. You can check out the EQ2 forums and look at the server boards for more info.

As far as would I personally recommend it to someone who used to love EQ? Definitely. The lore alone will keep you satiated for a long time. It's got much more story to it than I've ever found in similar mmos, and its pve content is just incredible for my tastes. I would at the least download the trial and give it a whirl. You will get an idea for the game mechanics and be able to decide for yourself probably within 2-3 hours.

Hope this helps!

-Cym

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Good day,

The game is worth joining.  I've no idea how EQ was watered down as i never really played it. 

At low-mid levels, there are few people but population is excellent at the endgame levels.  Right now is a particularly good time to join as they just added a new starting area (Halas) so many people are starting new characters.  Right now it would be much less empty at those levels than usually.   The game is 6 years old and most action is at endgame, the developers know this and the game has been adjusted so that no grouping is required to get to cap.  However, there is still lots of group content available at all levels should you have a group. 

At level cap, the game is very much group based.  there are always groups getting together to run group or raid stuff.   There are plenty of guilds as well.  There are a few servers that have low populations - don't roll on those.  Go with antonia bayle and you'll be ok.

I never played EQ, but from what I understand, it is not.

There are PvP servers and there are battlegrounds which revolves around teams.  Overall PvP isn't very good in EQ2 as it's basically an afterthought to a PvE-centered game with PvE-centered players.   If PvP is your thing, there are much better games out there (AoC is good.  I hated AION, but for PvP it's ok)

Probably not.  EQ nuts - in my experience - tend to be living in the past and thinking that the original game was perfection embodied and that no progress was required to make it better.  Yet for some strange reason they no longer want to play it.  So they tend to be a very unhappy lot and impossible to satisfy.  But not eveyrone is the same, that's just been my experience.

answers above

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Thanks for replying but you really didn't answer any questions.

Do you/did you play EQ2?  

Also, this is a MMORPG website (as the url tells us). I took a brief look at your previous posts and it seems like you are not really a fan of the genre.

lmao, you just put half the users on this forum in their place.

I mean, it is like purposefully going to a stamp collectors website and saying "stamps are lame, you might want to try collecting coins". 

I am not trying to be a troll or derail the topic (I still want answers). But,  I came back to check the topic and was glad there was a reply, and then I read it and thought, "That was pointless."

Then again, this reply is pointless too. 

I will say that now is as good of a time as any to join the EQ2 family as an expansion was released a few months ago, and many players have returned or are returning to check out the expansion content.

There's a relatively large grouping focus in EQ2, and groups can be found at all levels provided you pick the right server.  For groups, I recommend Antonia Bayle, if you can deal with a slight amount of lag.  It's far and away the most popular server in the game and has a healthy chunk of players spread across all level ranges.

EQ2 is a very social game that has a lot of guilds that take you for who you are as a person and not just as a number in a raid as the number of family style casual guilds tend to outnumber the raid guilds unlike WoW.  Finding a guild is just as simple as hitting the "U" key for a window that lists all the guilds that are currently recruiting with information about the guild and a list of online recruiters to talk with.

In terms of difficulty, EQ2 is nearly as casual friendly as World of Warcraft and is less raid centric.  The combat system is a bit different and the cooldown timers are long for some abilities, forcing you to vary your combat approach from mob to mob.  That said, the dungeons themselves are pretty easy, and there's relatively no death penalty.  Every time you die your armor decays by 10% and when it hits 0%, it "breaks" and you have to visit a mender NPC to use it again.  I prefer this to WoW's system as regular use has no effect on armor/weapon decay.

The endgame is a bit more challenging than WoW with difficult dungeons that go a little overboard on the scripting for my taste, but it's still a decent game, and you may actually like the endgame encounters.  I recommend you at least give the trial a shot.

• f_batf_bat Member Posts: 17

I played EQ2 when it was first released for a few months then stopped. I was recently offered a free trial with the release of Halas and started back up a few days ago on Crushbone. Level 20 at the moment, but I'll probably be trying out new characters some more before I stick with one.

I'm sure someone out there will tell you it has been watered down, but I really do enjoy the changes that they've made.

I don't feel the need to have to be in a group 24/7, as it seems all classes have some sort of solo capability - which is good for me because none of my friends play EQ2 and I'm playing alone for the most part - but I do see people LFG every now and again too. (Mostly above level 30~).

The few cons I found so far:
    1) Performance for this game is still pretty iffy. It's been released since 2004 and it hasn't gotten sort of major overhauls or anything to my knowledge - and it needs it. But if you liked EQ1 then you probably don't care much about graphics. :) Shader 3 was introduced with Halas but it doesn't do much except make everything look wet.
    2) The economy is kind of ridiculous for legitimately new players.

Finding a guild is easy but finding a good guild willing to help out a noobie would probably make a world of difference.

I would suggest going to the most populated server if possible. Crushbone for normal, Anotonia Bayle for RP and Nagafen for PVP.  Like I said, I'm on Crushbone and I see a lot of chatter and people running around so it doesn't feel quite so lonely.

I'm not sure if I answered any of your questions or not but this has been my experience as a brand new player.

• Limbless_k9Limbless_k9 Member Posts: 26

I currently play Everquest 2 on the Antonia Bayle server which is like the highest population server. Since im on the highest pop server there are obviously a good amount of people in low level zones and higher end zones. The game has become very solo friendly and much easier.

Honestly an EQ fan like myself will probably enjoy this game but this mmo is by no means perfect. But yes it is in my opinion the best option out there. So i would recommend it.

Originally posted by f_bat

I played EQ2 when it was first released for a few months then stopped. I was recently offered a free trial with the release of Halas and started back up a few days ago on Crushbone. Level 20 at the moment, but I'll probably be trying out new characters some more before I stick with one.

I'm sure someone out there will tell you it has been watered down, but I really do enjoy the changes that they've made.

Watered down will, to a lot of people, refer to the fact that it's much easier to solo in the game than it once was.  In fact, the game was pretty much a combination of classic Everquest and Everquest Online Adventures at release.  Since then, the developers have gone to great lengths to make the game much mor soloable to a point where it rivals World of Warcraft in terms of soloability.  The crafting is another aspect people will whine about.  At one time, it was much more complicated, but it's all pretty much standard fare these days, sans the annoying (IMO) minigame that you have to play while crafting an item.

I don't feel the need to have to be in a group 24/7, as it seems all classes have some sort of solo capability - which is good for me because none of my friends play EQ2 and I'm playing alone for the most part - but I do see people LFG every now and again too. (Mostly above level 30~).

The few cons I found so far:

1) Performance for this game is still pretty iffy. It's been released since 2004 and it hasn't gotten sort of major overhauls or anything to my knowledge - and it needs it. But if you liked EQ1 then you probably don't care much about graphics. :) Shader 3 was introduced with Halas but it doesn't do much except make everything look wet.

Agreed.  The performance can be bad depending on your rig.  It's pretty processor dependant and doesn't really have much support at all for multi-core rigs.  It's also the type of game that really looks like garbage on almost anything but max settings, so I'd say it's just another reason to try the game before you buy.

2) The economy is kind of ridiculous for legitimately new players.

It's kinda rediculous for everyone that isn't a hardcore raider.  There's simply not enough money sinks in the game and the endgame raiders have managed to accumulate huge chunks of platinum over the years.  The good news is that it's super simple to make money in the game, albeit rather boring.  Pretty much loot every "?" you see on the ground and mine every resource, preferably from the moment you create your toon.  I'd wager it would take about a day's worth of farming to fully gear your toon with the decent spell ranks and the MC'd gear every ten levels, but I could be wrong.  Also, many guilds make the lower level stuff for free, so that's always nice :)

Finding a guild is easy but finding a good guild willing to help out a noobie would probably make a world of difference.

I would suggest going to the most populated server if possible. Crushbone for normal, Anotonia Bayle for RP and Nagafen for PVP.  Like I said, I'm on Crushbone and I see a lot of chatter and people running around so it doesn't feel quite so lonely.

Not that much RP on Antonia Bayle, but it does happen.  I'd go there regardless.

I'm not sure if I answered any of your questions or not but this has been my experience as a brand new player.

• orlacorlac Member Posts: 549

EQ2 is a blast with more content than any ( I do mean any) MMO going.

With the advent of Halas, many vets started new toons so the lower levels are active at this point.

Give it a shot....Antonia Bayle Server has the most folks.

Originally posted by SuperXero89

It's kinda rediculous for everyone that isn't a hardcore raider.  

The good news is that it's super simple to make money in the game, albeit rather boring.

I'd wager it would take about a day's worth of farming to fully gear your toon with the decent spell ranks and the MC'd gear every ten levels, but I could be wrong. 

There is noting ridiculous about the economy.  As you can see, even this person admits that a day spent farming will get you well outfitted for your adventures.  

EQ2 has very few hardcore raiders.  My server (LDL) has one hardcore raid guild.  Also, the people that have accumulated money haven't accumulated it "over the years".  It becomes exponentially easier to get money in every expansion.  Where last expansion an expensive master cost 100p, this expansion it's 1000p.   But very few people buy stuff at those prices.  

You always have the choice of earning your gear rather than buying it.  Masters are the only exception, but really, if you don't have masters, you can get your Experts free by harvesting and they will serve you fine unless you're a hardcore raider - and if you ARE a hardcore raider, you'll probably have money to afford them.  Although, raiding doesn't always yield money.  Money is best made solo or in small groups.   Raiding only gets money if you sell the loot you get and have and split the profits.

There is some really expensive stuff on the broker that you see as a new player.  The key is understanding that you don't need any of it.  You can easily get to level 80 without buying a single thing other than consumables (water, food, poisons, arrows, etc.)  Of course buying new stuff is fun, so I do encourage you to buy stuff.  But don't think that you can't go forward without it.  And don't pay stupid prices for things.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO

• SoludeSolude Member UncommonPosts: 691

Where to start.

Is it worth joining, yes.  Is it harder than WoW, no.  Is there a good pop, one some servers.  Is there lots of group content, no.  Is there a lot of content, also no.

I play EQ2, I like EQ2 but I'm not running around with rose tinted glasses.  EQ2 is a small MMO even this many years on.  Not a whole lot of zones, not a whole lot of true dungeons, tons of tiny instances though and the zones are all distinct.  The engine is awful, expect to get poor performance on even top gear.  The end game is gear gated and with a top heavy pop getting geared if you are late to the party is challenging.

If you liked EQ, then Vanguard is your game, EQ2 is not really an EQ sequel in a similar play style sense.  Now VG does have a silly large world and tons of group content.  Still not challenging per say but better paced than EQ2.  VG is much better than at launch but still buggy compared to pretty much every other MMO.

Thanks for all the replies.

I am going to download the trial when the new parts for my computer come in. My regular use desktop's vid card got hit for 100000000 points of heat damage (burnt out fan). My vid card has been slain by heat! LOADING, PLEASE WAIT.

I think Ill try a few race/class combos on the RP server as its most populated. I enjoy some degree of RP to be honest, it can add humor. 

fyi:   Race makes zero difference in EQ2 gameplay.  None, zip, zero, nada.  No one has every said "we need a Kerra" or "it would be nice if i were a Ratonga".   So when you pick a race, pick a race you really like cosmetically and would enjoy playing for RP purposes, etc.  

Couple of race tips:

Fae and Arasai get glide - this means you can jump a bit farther and you can freefall from any height without hurting yourself.  This has no application in combat but is useful for traveling.  Other races can get this ability with some high level gear.  Fae and Arasai cannot display a shield, two-handed weapon or bow on their back (due to wings).  They can use the same items, but graphically, they won't show when you're running around, only when you actually fight.

Sarnaks are the last race to be added.  They look quite cool at selection, however, they have terrible combat animations that get old really fast.  If you like the look, be sure you check them out in combat before comitting.

Ratongas are supercool.  Seriously, they are just awesome-looking and best race in EQ2 :)

Sarnaks, Trolls, Ratongas and Iskars have oddly shaped heads and helms look different on them.  Sometimes they look better, sometimes worse, but generally different from original design.  There is also a hide helm / hide hood option.

Once again - and trust me on this - completely ignore any of the racial traits on the different races.  They are totally irrelevant for the character in the long term.   Pick a race that you like. 

On another note, I strongly advise against making your first character a Fighter unless you want a huge challenge.  It'll just make your life difficult in many ways.  

On RP:

RP in eq2 is pretty terrible.  It exists mainly in small guilds that run their own RP events.   The two RP servers are good to roll on for reason other than RP though - they are Antonia Bayle and Lucan D'Lere.   If you roll on LDL, feel free to send me a tell with any questions - character name Pantheya.  

- Raph Koster

Originally posted by arieste

Originally posted by SuperXero89

It's kinda rediculous for everyone that isn't a hardcore raider.  

The good news is that it's super simple to make money in the game, albeit rather boring.

I'd wager it would take about a day's worth of farming to fully gear your toon with the decent spell ranks and the MC'd gear every ten levels, but I could be wrong. 

There is noting ridiculous about the economy.  As you can see, even this person admits that a day spent farming will get you well outfitted for your adventures.  

EQ2 has very few hardcore raiders.  My server (LDL) has one hardcore raid guild.  Also, the people that have accumulated money haven't accumulated it "over the years".  It becomes exponentially easier to get money in every expansion.  Where last expansion an expensive master cost 100p, this expansion it's 1000p.   But very few people buy stuff at those prices.  

You always have the choice of earning your gear rather than buying it.  Masters are the only exception, but really, if you don't have masters, you can get your Experts free by harvesting and they will serve you fine unless you're a hardcore raider - and if you ARE a hardcore raider, you'll probably have money to afford them.  Although, raiding doesn't always yield money.  Money is best made solo or in small groups.   Raiding only gets money if you sell the loot you get and have and split the profits.

There is some really expensive stuff on the broker that you see as a new player.  The key is understanding that you don't need any of it.  You can easily get to level 80 without buying a single thing other than consumables (water, food, poisons, arrows, etc.)  Of course buying new stuff is fun, so I do encourage you to buy stuff.  But don't think that you can't go forward without it.  And don't pay stupid prices for things.

Eh, to me, farming for an entire day just to gear my toon at level 20 is asking a bit much.  I mean, as I progress through the levels, I expect to work harder for my gear, but I shouldn't have to work quite that hard before i even hit the first level cap.  I know I certainly didn't when the game originally launched.

I believe I alluded to the fact that it doesn't kill the game, but cash is a bit more tedious to make in EQ2 than it is in LoTRO and is a bit more important in this game than in World of Warcraft as there's more to equiping one's toon than armor slots.  In EQ2, the quest-based gear and dungeon loot is almost always inferior to master crafted armor pieces with the exception of a handful of legendary items and heritage quest rewards.

• Kungaloosh1Kungaloosh1 Member Posts: 260

Though tastes differ, in my opinion eq1 is still miles above eq2 for fun factor. Yes eq1 is a grindy game but the game world is just simply enormous and a lot of opportunities exist to give you different things to do.

Eq2 is very linear in comparison and you are forced to quest to level instead of just going out and mowing down mobs. (a good balance between grind and quest would be nice but neither game has that down).

Eq2 was a great game initially and including the first expansion. After that the exansions seem very disorginized and a giant dev stamp on them acting all proud that they are nothing like their predecessor.

Anyway back to your original question, no, eq2 is not worth starting fresh on today. You will spend every waking gaming hour trying to play catchup to people that have been at max level for a looooooooong time.

Originally posted by Kungaloosh1

Anyway back to your original question, no, eq2 is not worth starting fresh on today. You will spend every waking gaming hour trying to play catchup to people that have been at max level for a looooooooong time.

As someone who has played both games, I'd say that describes EQ1 far more accurately than its sequel.

Originally posted by Kungaloosh1

Any old game required catch-up time.  And by "every waking gaming hour to catch up", he means a total of about 50-100 hours of going through content that's new and interesting to a new player.  That's how long it takes to catch up to most people that have been max level for a loooooooooooooong time (which is about 3 months btw, since that's when the cap was raised.)

EQ2 catch up is a joke.  I can start a new character and about a month later be ready to join an average quality raid guild on my server.  This is without any help or money from my main, because honestly, it's actually faster to make money on a new character that does a lot more quests and dungeons.

As far as farming for a day to outfit a level 20 characer, the last time I rolled a new character (about a year ago), i got to about level 40 before I bought anything that cost more than 10 gold.  And I had near unlimited plat at my disposal.  There was just no point to it.  Why buy an outfit for a level 20 character when that gear will be obsolete in 2-4 hours of play via either quest rewards or out-leveling the stuff you bought.  

This is the part that confuses new players.  They see all this low level gear on the broker for a lot of money and they think "oh my god, how can a new player afford this?".  A new player can't and shouldn't.  There is a reason that stuff is sitting on broker and isn't sold.  Also, totally garbage lowbie equipment sells really well to high level players who use it to level their transmuting (which requires destroying many pieces of low level gear that they can't farm).  So pretty much anything you get, you can put on broker and sell for decent amount of money.  Even total garbage - as long as it's Treasured or better.

- Raph Koster

• saturn1234saturn1234 Member UncommonPosts: 111

No in my opinion.

If you are starting fresh it is not worth it.  The game is fun at high/max levels now, but for a new player you will spend alot of time alone. 

I would wait for the new wave of AAA mmorpgs to come out before you play something fresh (FF14, SWTOR).  Until then play LOTRO when it goes F2P, League of Legends (not an mmo but fun), Runes of Magic, or maybe DDO.

If you really want the best answer, the game has a 14 day free trial, and you can login and mess around yourself. 

• RuethusRuethus Member Posts: 101

Originally posted by saturn1234

No in my opinion.

If you are starting fresh it is not worth it.  The game is fun at high/max levels now, but for a new player you will spend alot of time alone. 

I would wait for the new wave of AAA mmorpgs to come out before you play something fresh (FF14, SWTOR).  Until then play LOTRO when it goes F2P, League of Legends (not an mmo but fun), Runes of Magic, or maybe DDO.

If you really want the best answer, the game has a 14 day free trial, and you can login and mess around yourself. 

Opinion noted, but in my own take, having started fresh this past weekend - I'm really enjoying it.  Waiting for LoTRO to go f2p this fall defeats the purpose of trying to find a game to play till then...  Anyway, in the last 3-4 days I've found a guild thats helpful and I can tolerate being in.  I've leveled one character to about 20 and have since started another class just to see another play style.  While I can't say the starting zones are swarmed with other players, there have been enough other lowbies that it isn't lonely.  Imho, yeah give it a shot.  Also, don't know if you've started yet or not, but feel free to hit me up in game if you want someone to level with.  Server:  Antonia Bayle  Toon:  Eich or Ryleyh (...as I haven't decided which I'm going to continue with)

Not started yet. Ill have my regular PC up and running Thursday evening and Ill download the trial then.

I stopped by an EB games and noticed that they are selling a pack with 60 days free, the game, and six expansion packs for 16 bucks, so I might just buy that as it would be easier than downloading a 10 gig file, hah.

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519

Well this is all i can tell you dont listen to no fanboi/gurl and EQ2haters. Just download the trial and find out. You can do pretty much anything on the trial version except send tells unless ur responding if im correct. And no its not because SoE hates trial people its because of the damn SPAMMERS who would just make a new trial account and spam the shit out of everyone. So yes you suffer for it if u dont subscribe.

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

Originally posted by Goldknyght

You can do pretty much anything on the trial version except send tells unless ur responding if im correct.

Trial accts also can't sell anything on the broker (you can still buy stuff). I find this really slows down money acquisition at the lower levels, since you usually get much more from the broker than selling to an NPC vendor.

• SoludeSolude Member UncommonPosts: 691

Except that no one  buys anything at that level.  I was 72 before I bought anything from broker.  About the only thing thats sells for anything is top masters and final tier MC gear.

Originally posted by Solude

Except that no one  buys anything at that level.  I was 72 before I bought anything from broker.  About the only thing thats sells for anything is top masters and final tier MC gear.

Not true at all.  As I noted in my post above, pretty much ALL treasured gear (including all those adepts for other classes)  will sell on broker to higher level characters looking to crush it and level-up their transmuting.   That's why if you look on broker, you'll find even the crappiest level 3 treasured items on sale for a high minimum - because anything below gets bought out and quickly.

People don't buy stuff to wear, but they buy it to crush.  Also, adepts are bought at all levels for use.

- Raph Koster