Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to give limited access to my files from outside?

eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Okay, here's the deal. My brother moved to San Diego and has little in the way of music to listen to. I have a shitload of music on my comp here. What i need to know is how can I give the computer where he's at access to one specific folder on my comp so he can download from me? Preferably something that can be setup primarily on my end, as he has little to no computer skills/knowledge. Like a simple server type setup, where he can maybe just type in an address and then a password and access my folder?

Edit: both comps use Windows 7.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
-And on the 8th day, man created God.-

Comments

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

create a FTP server....such as Bulletproof or other such ftp server programs...easily transfer files too and from computers over the net.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by miagisan

create a FTP server....such as Bulletproof or other such ftp server programs...easily transfer files too and from computers over the net.

Okay, and that's all on my end, correct? Nothing to install on his end?

Edit: Hate to sound noobish, but while I'm great with hardware, I've never dealt with server type software before.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

ftp can usually be handled in a web browser, although its not the greatest method.  Instead of typing in http:// he would type in ftp:// .  He may have to click the option to allow ftp transfers or his browser may not support ftp, but there are tons of ftp software.

ftp can be problamatic for security unless you take many precautions.  For instance if your brother saves his name and password for your ftp address, then if he is infected with a virus the person can broadcast how to access your ftp.  It also makes your computer more susceptible to hacks and snooping.  There are other methods.  I think the best method would be to use an intermediary storage solution on the net while having a backup on your drive.  Something like a cloud or data server that you rent.  You wouldn't have to worry as much about security, and your brother will have access to your public files.

• RavZterzRavZterz Member UncommonPosts: 618

I always used windows messanger to transfer music...

Took a while but always worked lol.

Make games you want to play.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RavikAztar

Okay, found the perfect file. Thanks for the help guys. Also, if anyone else needs an easy way to share their files, this is what I chose. It's no install and works easy as pie. HFS - HTTP File Server  http://www.rejetto.com/hfs/

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Is that linking allowed? This topic could simply be a setup to promote some website :p

• pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481

Originally posted by someforumguy

Is that linking allowed? This topic could simply be a setup to promote some website :p

When people with 500+ regular posts do it, they generally aren't simply advertising. Stop being so paranoid.

Now with 57.3% more flames!

Originally posted by someforumguy

I'm not promoting anything. It was the best option I found that I could use easily, and it's FREE, so what exactly would I be promoting? Take the tinfoil hat off, dude.image I only linked it because maybe there's someone who has the same situation as mine and had been looking for something similar. That's all.