Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ASHERON'S CALL IS BACK!!!

sundraziw889sundraziw889 Member UncommonPosts: 80

So I've played just about every p2p mmo out there on this list minus one or two.  However, for some reason I never tried AC.

The most recent games I've played have been Darkfall, WoW, and Eve. Darkfall was fun, but the loot system sucked and it felt like more work than play.  A bunch of people I played with during my Darkfall experience had come from Asheron's call and would always talk about how great it WAS.

Well, after burning out on Darkfall and WoW (ugh), I decided to take a risk and try this ancient, yet revered game. I logged on with a slightly negative attitude, expecting the servers to be dead and the gameplay and graphics to be dated. Sure, the graphics are dated, but to my surpirse-- THE WORLD IS STILL ALIVE!

I started a character on Darktide since pvp is my bag, and was immediately pledged to an allegience and cared for. People were running around shooting crazy looking missiles and slashing eachother with sparkling swords and pikes--- it actually looked pretty cool. So I gave it some time and 2 weeks later, here I am COMPLETELY addicted to this game I thought was dead.

I haven't had this much fun since playing UO years ago, and everyone I've met ingame seems to be incredibly enthusiastic about the game. Although there aren't many new players, the community is vibrant and the game mechanics encourage players to help eachother while sill appealing to the loner.

You have to dodge shit, but it's not a complete FPS like Darkfall. When you cast spells, you have to plan the trajectory for instance. Debuffs are viable.  Movement is incredibly fun, and with practice you can manipulate your character so that you can cast while actively dodging. Fights against other players can last a while or end instantly---- attacks may hit for 200 damage, but high leveled characters have around 500 hp. Which means you really need to be careful and dodge attacks and manage your vitals. You have to heal and convert mana to stamina and vice versa, all while trying to avoid getting clobbered by your enemies.

The experience system is awesome. I was initally turned off by the high level cap, but leveling is actually really fun. You buff your characters abilities, and add temporary buffs to armor that can let lower level players get in on the action.  And each time you kill something, you gain a portion of experience that you can distribute like in a classic  RPG. You don't have to wait to reach a new level to spend the experience!

Anyway, I just thought I'd share my joy with you all and I encourage people who are currently disconent  with whatever theyre playing to give the trial a go.

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Thanks for the post, always did wonder about this game, might check it out for fun one day.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BrotheryangBrotheryang Member UncommonPosts: 174

O'rly? I never played this. i often thought like you it was to dead but now i might check it out.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Last I heard, AC still has about 3k subscribers. Not a lot, but when you consider most numbers for Darkfall put that at about 5k, it's really not too shabby for a 11 year old game. So no, it's not dead at all. In fact, the terrain graphics are getting a bit of a facelift in the coming months. 

The only thing I'd worry about is Warner Bros. taking a look at it and pulling the plug so they can reassign the resources used in maintaining it. Which certainly is a very real possibility.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

enjoy the best MMO you will ever play.

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

Originally posted by Rednecksith

Last I heard, AC still has about 3k subscribers. Not a lot, but when you consider most numbers for Darkfall put that at about 5k, it's really not too shabby for a 11 year old game. So no, it's not dead at all. In fact, the terrain graphics are getting a bit of a facelift in the coming months. 

Doubt it since theya re updating the graphics its not gonna happen.. because they would be doing nothing of this was the case.. this is the best the graphics will look in AC ..maybe not as good as some games but instead of nothing youc an see dirt and water with the new upgrades warner bros is doing so AC is far from being off line...

If anything I see themf or buying turbine being a good things, as they will be updating there games think about it..

D&D why would they buy a free to play game?? LOTR is doing ok and AC has very little subs so I think they bought turbine to fix some of there older games to make new or better the games they have, maybe even make an AC3, and more expacks for LOTR and D&D thats could be the only logic behide it.. as far as I can tell. we will see but the updating is a sure sign of a good thing in AC I played AC for 7yrs and I only left due to lack of numbers when turbine took over they ruined AC sadly and lack of advertisment. so hoping they do something to make it a better game... AC still is the best MMO I have played to date and I have played many , many MMO's..

PVP was the best PVP to date and questing was so darn fun.,.I miss AC if they bring it to life I will be back in 3 seconds, I even had my own guild for 7yrs and it was great the good ol days..

The only thing I'd worry about is Warner Bros. taking a look at it and pulling the plug so they can reassign the resources used in maintaining it. Which certainly is a very real possibility.

• sundraziw889sundraziw889 Member UncommonPosts: 80

Darkcrystal,

The only thing that has prevented me from trying the game earlier has also been the fear of low population.  The population is actually quite healthy (at least on Darktide and Frostfell)  is what I'm trying to say.  Although it doesnt have a ridiculuous amount of people, the population as it is functions perfectly given the world size and allegiance home system.

A game like Everquest, for instance, really needs a large player base in order to be playable. This is because there is an outrageous amount of zones, and as you level up those areas become obsolete and desolate.  The world of Dereth somehow makes it so you always are running in to people.... maybe because the world is smaller? I'm not sure, but it's definitely functioning well.

Playing on Tichondrius (one of the most popular servers in Wow) I've run in to less people than here on Darktide. Of course alot of the people are in instances... but ya catch my drift.

I think we've become subject to a bit of a psychological trick- -an illusion persay---people avoid games that they think are "unhealthy" when really all is well. AC has a really hardcore player base that won't ever leave, so the population isn't going to drop any lower than it is.... the people here are here to stay (since the games ridiculously fun). It can only grow further.

Give it a try if you have some time, we're all MMORPG addicts here and I know how it is.... but I'm telling ya this is a nice fix :)

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

The world is far bigger then EQ, the difference is that AC makes travel easy. You go into a portal and pop out on the other side of the map. you don't need to spend hours travelling to get where you want and get into the action.

I've been trying to explain to people on these forums how well AC is doing and how people who pop in and try it tend to find it fascinating and fun, it's good to have someone else spread the word too.

The number someone through out for an estimate of the accounts on AC is so wrong it's amusing. So don't put any stake into that post.

Also there have been a good amount of returning/new players recently because of all the changes going on with AC. They are really working to improve the game a lot, and have been for a good year now.

The reason so many people seem resistant to check this game out seems to be two reasons. The first is that the graphics are dated, there's no arguing that. But graphics don't equal fun, and they are releasing a landscape texture update soon so they are obviously trying to touch it up a bit.

The other reaons is the rumors people post. They post stuff and act like it is accurate information and they have no idea if it is true and often times aren't even playing the game. The population is healthy on most of the servers, WB isn't doing anything to the game and have not touched it in anyway, the game isn't dead/dying/going away. It does NOT take forever to level up, it is actually quite easy and they have added some things to make it easier.

• feena750feena750 Member UncommonPosts: 330

I don't think they will pull the plug on AC soon as they are doing some graphical upgrades currently.  It isn't immense, but it looks nicer.

• ronnabronnab Member UncommonPosts: 29

Originally posted by DrunkWolf

enjoy the best MMO you will ever play.

I constantly find myself mentally comparing new games I try to AC.  It's been quite a few years since I played.  Think I'll give it another go.  Thanks OP for the post.

• ElapsedElapsed Member UncommonPosts: 2,329

Originally posted by feena750

I don't think they will pull the plug on AC soon as they are doing some graphical upgrades currently.  It isn't immense, but it looks nicer.

I'm not saying AC will shut down, but AC2 had an expansion pack released in stores only a few months before Turbine announced they were shutting it down.

• Fahr.en.heiTFahr.en.heiT Member Posts: 1

To bad you started playing so late into AC.  You will never have a chance to experience how it was back in its glory days.  Massive battles at Ayan lifestone, MP, dungeon control.  A lot of that is still in the game, but not to the extent it used to be, back when thousands of people would be logged in at once all running around.  If you check old youtube videos, or even VN boards, you"ll find people reminiscing about how good it used to be, and people even saying they would forfeit a whole months salary to experience what they felt back then. 

Very good times.  

Asheron's Call
    FF - Bd Mage
    DT - Crucifix

• maxtlionmaxtlion Member Posts: 79

AC has always been the standard by which I judged other MMos and to this day, continues to shame anything else I;ve ever played.

You'll always have players complaining about the dated graphics, but these are bottom of a long list of immense plus-points the game gives. Challenging quests, fully-customisable character development, intricate crafting, compelling storyline and immense sandbox of a world, with portals giving fast travel - but lore to support all this as well.

The only issue I have with it is the server connection tech. It is old and there are a reasonable number of people just not able to access the game. There are various help threads on the MMORPG and the AC forums though that can help you through troubleshooting these issues.

Play this game. Do the trial and once you've killed your first drudge you'll be hooked. Remember to take your lightning axe to the Lugian Fortress outside Qualabar though!

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

AC is one of my favorite MMOs, however due to the odd port requirements on it, I seem to have to spend a day or so trying to get it working again at home and at work after each patch.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

Best part of AC is that levels are only a number to kinda gauge how long someone's been at it. The level cap is high, but it's not about the level, it's about how you invested your attribute points and what skills you have. 

Magic used to be a pain in the ass, and buffing took forever, but unfortunately it was a total necessity if you wanted to be competitive in any aspect of the game.