Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Future Updates Disapear!

2»

Comments

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by Galdere

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

Originally posted by raistalin69

Originally posted by kaiser3282

Originally posted by EricDanie

Originally posted by nishikaze

Originally posted by Die_Scream

It's odd that Cryptic seems to seperate the customers from sucess. They seem to feel as long as they make money, the customers don't count. In fact, customers are a cow to be milked, even when dry.

Just my opinion.

I agree with your opinion. Ive never thought Cryptic was good at making MMOS. Just good at hyping people into buying trash...and over charging for crap games.

But the day I heard they where making STO I thought maybe they could do it. But after beta and then launch of STO I realized that Cryptic is just Craptic. Where is the exploration??? Why is everything instanced??? This is not Star Trek Online.... 

Ugh.... I could rant about this game for hours..... 

(Cryptic, thanks for destroying Star Trek. May you crash a burn hard. )

Watch out, because they're developing a 4th MMO, makes me wonder which IP is getting butchered and turned into a milking machine next.

Fixed :-P CoH/V, CO, STO, and now whatever their 4th is

word is dungeons and dragons (forget which version), which if true is going to be funny when the f2p version is better than what they try to make.

Actually the rumor is Neverwinter Nights. In which case, that will be another IP coming to an ignominious end. And that's after Obsidian already battered it into the top soil with NWN 2.

Fixed back cos no one at Cryptic actually made anything on CoH/V, all those people stayed, they just like to play on their association. They supposedly have the neverwinter nightsforgotten realms franchise. Probably my second favourite IP after star trek *sobs*. Everywhere I see mention of it I am going to cry out about what Cryptic is. Collective boycott, I can but hope.

Fixed again; According to the last comments I saw from Cryptic, they have about eleven or so people still with them from CoH/CoV. Of course given how often employees seem to leave there, especially after posting bad news, the number could be lower now. Eleven employees may not seem like much, but I do believe it was approximately 1/5 of their staff.

In regards to the NWN/D&D/Forgotten Realms rumors (actually all three would apply, as the NWN setting is located in the Forgotten Realms): it really would depend on if there is a cease and desist order bundled in Hasbro's lawsuit to revoke the franchise away from Atari. If there isn't, then it would be legally possible for Cryptic to shove a D&D MMO out the door before any decision could be reached. Doing so would be stupid however, as Hasbro winning the lawsuit would immediately close down the MMO and leave Atari open to even more lawsuits (especially if they offer lifetime accounts). More lawsuits are what Atari need the least of right now.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• MeromorphMeromorph Member Posts: 75

Originally posted by Rohn

wow, great post rohn. is that all the stuff that you figure should have been in at launch? cause i think theres still some stuff missing.

Nah, just providing a little information displaying the pointlessness of the original post, and the silliness of the (predictable) ensuing kneejerk dogpile.

By all means, keep checking back, though.

The original post is not pointless, MMORPG.com has a strong record of support for mis-factual slanders pertaining to Cryptic, and this thread is the intended result of this ongoing mis-information effort.   

*Remember, you guys are supposed to say things like "this is another NGE / worse than NGE", Sony is one of our sponsors and they have specifically requested that we attempt this semantic shift. *

• saxifrsaxifr Member UncommonPosts: 381

Originally posted by Meromorph

wow, great post rohn. is that all the stuff that you figure should have been in at launch? cause i think theres still some stuff missing.

Nah, just providing a little information displaying the pointlessness of the original post, and the silliness of the (predictable) ensuing kneejerk dogpile.

The original post is not pointless, MMORPG.com has a strong record of support for mis-factual slanders pertaining to Cryptic, and this thread is the intended result of this ongoing mis-information effort.   

*Remember, you guys are supposed to say things like "this is another NGE / worse than NGE", Sony is one of our sponsors and they have specifically requested that we attempt this semantic shift. *

The way I see it, Cryptic went out and lost the trust of a bunch of people in the first place. They're not exactly going out of their way to gain it back, what with all the condescending remarks from their community manager, marketing, and development staff on the forums.

You can try to place the blame for that on the customers all you want, but at the end of the day, it was Cryptic's touchdown to fumble.

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

• sylum69sylum69 Member UncommonPosts: 100

Originally posted by mezlabor

I hope they dont get nwn. I really hope. And IM just really glad marvel yanked their license from cryptic. Imagine how heart breaking MUO would be? Oh wait we KNOW how dissapointing that would be we need only look at Champions...

Microsoft was the reason why MUO was cancelled. Cryptic had nothing to do with it.

• raistalin69raistalin69 Member Posts: 575

Originally posted by Meromorph

i dont get how you think mmorpg is supporting slanders of cryptic, almost all of what has been posted here has been on the sto boards and almost all of the negative posts are from current or past cryptic customers. thats not slander. thats called word of mouth, people are warning others not to deal with cryptic due to the quality of the products they produce.

as a consumer you should be happy that people are taking the time to warn you of a shoddy product.

IF THE ONLY DEFENCE FOR CRITICISM OF A GAME IS CALLING SOMEONE A TROLL OR HATER, THAT SAYS A LOT ABOUT THE QUALITY OF THE GAME

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by sylum69

I hope they dont get nwn. I really hope. And IM just really glad marvel yanked their license from cryptic. Imagine how heart breaking MUO would be? Oh wait we KNOW how dissapointing that would be we need only look at Champions...

Microsoft was the reason why MUO was cancelled. Cryptic had nothing to do with it.

However, the project was changed on February 11, 2008 due to what a Microsoft spokesperson referred to as "an inability to compete" with the current MMO marketplace.

Microsoft pulled out because they were worried the game couldn't compete. They were looking at long term.  And they were right in the end. CO has failed to compete and is currently one of the least populated MMO's you can find. I would wager that even VG if it's still up and running has more subs. I also wouldn't say it had nothing to do with Cryptic, if you see a company making something thats pretty much garunteed to flop you kill the project to save your name.

• bstiffbstiff Member Posts: 359

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

However, the project was changed on February 11, 2008 due to what a Microsoft spokesperson referred to as "an inability to compete" with the current MMO marketplace.

Microsoft pulled out because they were worried the game couldn't compete. They were looking at long term.  And they were right in the end. CO has failed to compete and is currently one of the least populated MMO's you can find. I would wager that even VG if it's still up and running has more subs. I also wouldn't say it had nothing to do with Cryptic, if you see a company making something thats pretty much garunteed to flop you kill the project to save your name.

From what I saw, DCU online is supposed to hit in November, wonder how CO will fare then.

Not quite true; Marvel, Microsoft, and Cryptic all had a hand in seeing that cancelled. That game was in production during the time Microsoft was on their idiotic Vista only kick; they were trying to get every game that they had a hand in to be launched as Vista only to force people to change to the new Vista OS.  Additionally, from comments made about the game (including from Cryptic), the three companies couldn't agree on basic gameplay such as how combat should work. Finally you have Marvel's comment; personally, I think Marvel got a good look at what Cryptic's intentions were and in a momentary attack of common sense decided to back out. Having seen that engine being used in both CO and STO, I can't say I blame them.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• mezlabormezlabor Member Posts: 133

Originally posted by Dinendae

Not quite true; Marvel, Microsoft, and Cryptic all had a hand in seeing that cancelled. That game was in production during the time Microsoft was on their idiotic Vista only kick; they were trying to get every game that they had a hand in to be launched as Vista only to force people to change to the new Vista OS.  Additionally, from comments made about the game (including from Cryptic), the three companies couldn't agree on basic gameplay such as how combat should work. Finally you have Marvel's comment; personally, I think Marvel got a good look at what Cryptic's intentions were and in a momentary attack of common sense decided to back out. Having seen that engine being used in both CO and STO, I can't say I blame them.

True. Had Marvel liked what Cryptic was doing there was nothign stopping them from contiuning the partnership with Cryptic and finding a new publisher. But they didn't they dropped Cryptic as well and signed Gazillion to make MUO instead of Cryptic.  Obviously Marvel is still intent on making this game had Cryptic been showing them somethign that impressed them one would think they would have kept Cryptic on the project instead of handing it to Gazillion.

And looking at CO and STO I don't blame them. Marvel cares a lot more about the integrity of their IP then CBS does.

Game Informer reported that an anonymous source revealed to them that Microsoft and Marvel had disagreements regarding the licensing of Marvel characters, which led to the cancellation. - Wikipedia

Anyone who knows anything about licensing knows what this was about...Money, not game design.

Seriously, Cryptic pisses me off to no end with their design choices and priorities but do you really need to make things up to hate on them?

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

That's right, because there are nooooooo bad Marvel comics games...

No, when Microsoft said 'compete', what they're really talking about is bottom line and having to pay Marvel more than they'd like for the use of their characters.

Game Informer reported that an anonymous source revealed to them that Microsoft and Marvel had disagreements regarding the licensing of Marvel characters, which led to the cancellation. - Wikipedia

Anyone who knows anything about licensing knows what this was about...Money, not game design.

Seriously, Cryptic pisses me off to no end with their design choices and priorities but do you really need to make things up to hate on them?

First of all, wikipedia rumors are not the best of sources to quote. Secondly, as has been stated, Marvel was free to continue partnership with Cryptic if the wished to; Microsoft pulling out of the deal changed nothing. Case in point: Vanguard: Saga of Heroes was originally being published by Microsoft. While there were many problems leading to that decision, one issue was that Microsoft was demanding that Vanguard be made Vista only, but that was refused by Sigil Games (and rightly so). Microsoft pulled out after problems came to light, and Sigil went on to partner with SOE. The same could have happened with MUO; Cryptic and Marvel could have found someone else. That Marvel decided to cancel as well speaks volumes.

• XNephalimXXNephalimX Member Posts: 87

Originally posted by KitKat1

Many would think this was just a conspiacy but look at this thread.

We all knew that this game was going to flop but the speed at which it did was ammazing. When i first read about the devs starting to bail on Cryptic i though well this must be it. And gess what ....!

I am supprised the Forums are taking it so well but then again the lifers left in game have nothing to gain by getting upset and i think everyone deep down inside already knows the inevertable is happening!

YES ..Future Updates have left the Building! .... Leaving players wondering what the hell is going on! "We all where hopeing that season 2 will Save STO" ..But its missing suddenly from the radar ... and all updates have been pushed back ..with no new STF's comming... this could be the Blackout ..before the ATARI fin release ...

Link

That whole game needs to dissapear. funkit.