Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FFXIV screens have me worried

g0dl355g0dl355 Member UncommonPosts: 305

I currently use a pile of junk i got from Best Buy for 400 bucks a couple years ago, threw an Nvidia 9600gt and some extra memory in there and called it a day, not a gaming pc by any means but enough to play WoW/Global Agenda/ and some Fallout 3 pretty dang smoothly.....my concern is that telling by how amazing the screens of FF look I wont be able to actually play this game, I may end having to go with SWTOR since its system requirements seem to me from looking at its screens to be much lower. Anyone have a rough idea of what type of system one would need to run fantasy at a decent level? 

And before you say it, no I wont be buying it for ps3, I played the old one on ps3 for a while (my 1st mmo btw) and having to switch from the keyboard to the controller on the COUCH was clunky and uncomfortable.

Comments

• danJ188danJ188 Member Posts: 56

Build a new PC?

• g0dl355g0dl355 Member UncommonPosts: 305

Originally posted by danJ188

Build a new PC?

QUIET EVRYONE! EINSTIEN HAS SPOKEN. I already know I need to build a new pc, what I dont know is just how good a pc will run the game at a decent level, since by looking at screenies the graphics look like Age of Conan on horse steroids.

• soap46soap46 Member Posts: 169

Well, until they release the specs it's really hard to gague... 

And I'm not trying to be an ass here or anything, but for the PS3 version you could just get a small folding table for your keyboard / mouse.  They're like 15 bucks at Walmart; a whole lot cheaper than a new PC.

• MartinmasMartinmas Member UncommonPosts: 239

You might not even need a keyboard for the PS3 version if they have voice chat enabled.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

You could probably run it at lowest setting but you do have some time to save up for a new PC until the game releases.

A game like that should be played maxed out or at least on high to be fully enjoyed.

In worst case scenario you might survive with some more memory and a better gfx card but it is best to change MB and processor also while your at it. There are several other cool games coming out next year too so having a good computer is a must by  then. 

Just updated myself, got that new AMD with 6 cores, not bad for a rather good price (but I also got Corsairs 85 bucks H50 hydro cooling system for it).

• PalomidesPalomides Member Posts: 33

I don't think the screens look THAT amazing, other than the textures look excellent.  Also, SE is a smart enough company that they will want the game to work well on a variety of systems - I'm sure your craptacular comp will be able to play it just fine, just not at max settings.

• tedhalftedhalf Member UncommonPosts: 14

I remember reading in an interview somewhere that FFXIV will have high requirements for the maximum setting but also capable of being run by lower end comps. I'm sure a X2 processor with your vid card have at least 3 or 4 gigs of ram and i'm sure you'll be fine.

Dunno if I read that or dreamt it. Either way, I don't see it completely overwhelming lower end comps.

• GreenWidowGreenWidow Member Posts: 157

You can get a state of the art PC with top line GFX card and DDR3 memory for 1000 bucks easy that will play any game out or coming out on max settings.

Shop around and build it yourself from parts.   Newegg.com   Ibuypower.com are two good places if you want to build it yourself have somebody build it for you. 

This hobby has requirements just like any other hobby.  You don't play basketball in pennyloafters.  You don't game on a glorified calculator.

Get a real PC and play what you want at max settings like others who have a clue.  Trust me you'll be thankful you did.  If not, then your not a gamer.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”The Iron Code"

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 1,923

My recommendation is that you wait until the official recommended specifications are released, and probably aim a little higher then that if you can.

• GreenWidowGreenWidow Member Posts: 157

Intel Core 2 DDR3 Configurator

Case ( NZXT Gamma Gaming Case - Black )

iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction ( None )

iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion ( None )

Case Lighting ( None )

Processor ( [=== Quad Core ===] Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q8200 (4x 2.33GHz/4MB L2 Cache/1333FSB) )

Processor Cooling ( [Free Upgrade] Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ 120mm Radiator )

Memory ( 4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR3-1333 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand ** FREE Upgrade to Corsair XMS3 Dominator ** )

Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce GTX 465 - 1GB - Single Card )

Video Card Brand ( Major Brand Powered by ATI or NVIDIA )

Motherboard ( Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3LR -- Intel P45 Chipset Supported w/8-ch HD Audio, Dual Channel DDR3, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, 1 PCI-E 2.0 x16 MB )

Power Supply ( 700 Watt -- Power Supply - SLI Ready )

Primary Hard Drive ( 500 GB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s - Single Drive )

Data Hard Drive ( None )

Optical Drive ( 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black )

2nd Optical Drive ( None )

Flash Media Reader/Writer ( None )

Meter Display ( None )

Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )

Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )

Netbook / Notebook Bundle ( None )

Operating System ( Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + [Free 60-Day !!!] Microsoft Office 2007(Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access ....) - 64-Bit )

Keyboard ( iBUYPOWER USB Keyboard - Black )

Mouse ( iBUYPOWER Internet Mouse - Black )

Monitor ( None )

2nd Monitor ( None )

Speaker System ( iBUYPOWER 2.1 Channel Stereo Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System )

Power Protection ( None )

Headset ( None )

MP3/MP4 Player ( None )

Video Camera ( None )

Warranty ( Standard Warranty Service - Standard 3-Year Limited Warranty + Lifetime Technical Support )

Rush Service ( Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) - No Rush Service, Estimate Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days )

$983.00  Subtotal

I wanted to configure one to prove my point.  There now it's easier to read too.

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”The Iron Code"

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

It is simple. Just go but a 120gig PS3 for $299.00 which includes a really nice blue-ray player. This will save you a ton of cash in  the long run. It will also give you less hassels than a pc. No more graphics card issues, no more virus issues, no more framerate concerns, no more worries of what version of direct x you need. Just make sure your current pc has vent or teamspeak for linkshell socializing and you are good to go! :)

• Professor78Professor78 Member UncommonPosts: 587

Originally posted by GreenWidow

Intel Core 2 DDR3 Configurator

Case ( NZXT Gamma Gaming Case - Black )

iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction ( None )

iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion ( None )

Case Lighting ( None )

Processor ( [=== Quad Core ===] Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q8200 (4x 2.33GHz/4MB L2 Cache/1333FSB) )

Processor Cooling ( [Free Upgrade] Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ 120mm Radiator )

Memory ( 4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR3-1333 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand ** FREE Upgrade to Corsair XMS3 Dominator ** )

Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce GTX 465 - 1GB - Single Card )

Video Card Brand ( Major Brand Powered by ATI or NVIDIA )

Motherboard ( Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3LR -- Intel P45 Chipset Supported w/8-ch HD Audio, Dual Channel DDR3, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, 1 PCI-E 2.0 x16 MB )

Power Supply ( 700 Watt -- Power Supply - SLI Ready )

Primary Hard Drive ( 500 GB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s - Single Drive )

Data Hard Drive ( None )

Optical Drive ( 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black )

2nd Optical Drive ( None )

Flash Media Reader/Writer ( None )

Meter Display ( None )

Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )

Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )

Netbook / Notebook Bundle ( None )

Operating System ( Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + [Free 60-Day !!!] Microsoft Office 2007(Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access ....) - 64-Bit )

Keyboard ( iBUYPOWER USB Keyboard - Black )

Mouse ( iBUYPOWER Internet Mouse - Black )

Monitor ( None )

2nd Monitor ( None )

Speaker System ( iBUYPOWER 2.1 Channel Stereo Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System )

Power Protection ( None )

Headset ( None )

MP3/MP4 Player ( None )

Video Camera ( None )

Warranty ( Standard Warranty Service - Standard 3-Year Limited Warranty + Lifetime Technical Support )

Rush Service ( Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) - No Rush Service, Estimate Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days )

$983.00  Subtotal

I wanted to configure one to prove my point.  There now it's easier to read too.

Yeah i just had a quick go too, you have made a pretty weak system though... sorry im an entusiast, cant help myself hehe

Case : Antec 300 Illusion

PSU : OCZ StealthXstreme 700w

CPU : Core i5 750

MOB : ASUS P7P55D PRO

RAM : 4GB 12800 G.Skill Ripjaw

HDD : 500 Samsung Spinpoint F3

GPU : Sapphire HD 5850

Under $950, just add dvd drive and couple peripherals if needed.

Quite sure something like that would be more than adequate to have some fun with FFXIV :)

Core i5 4690k (4.6ghz) water-cooled, 16gb Hyper X 1866, Gigabyte 1080ti Aorus , HAF 932 case, LG 32" Ultra-wide, Logitech G19, Rat 9, 200mb BB.

• sdeleon515sdeleon515 Member UncommonPosts: 151

I got a good lol from the Einstien comment. Most of the specs on page 2 are good enough to play at a good level. Most system builders will go Intel and its an obvious no brainer to do so. My only alternative suggestions for the "geez I'm low on funds because its a recession" option are go intel if your going with an i5 or i7 build only. The Core2Duo series have gotten cheapen but aren't on the same lvls as the intel i5's or i7's. Otherwise going AMD isn't so bad and while the increased costs in cooling are a part of that equation, can aim to add a good video card (and if you do use AMD, may be better to bundle it with ATI and not nVidia). Getting a set of decent RAM is easy and sticking to a good dual-channel within Corsair or Patriot is probably the lowest I'd settle for. You'' pay a premium with less of a return on Kingston. If you can get some good deals on a good cooling system, getting an unlocked graphics card + processor would be a nice addition. Off the top of my head, ibuypower and digipower make better gaming systems than what you'd get from a normal vendor (ie w/e is in stock @ Best Buy or HP) but they will cheapen the mother board, power supply and cooling system. If your aiming to build from scratch, you can get the core parts at a good price on either Newegg.com, Frys.com or Circuitcity.com/Tigerdirect.com (they are the same company now lolz), microcenter.com  or directron.com. Anything cooling related you can probably snatch for cheap on eBay or amazon. You might be able to snatch a cheap power supply from oddly Best Buy as they tend to be on clearance due to sitting on the shelf for so long but the above online retailers would also have them at a good price.

From the sounds of it your not aiming for the "highest end" gaming PC which means you got a bit of a buffer to mix/max your system. The highest end gamer will probably aim for tons higher and wouldn't settle for anything less than an i7. For an OS, its really tricky pending on whether you fall into the XP or Win7 camp honestly. Some ppl will always cry foul on one or the other but your probably better off in the long run with Win7; I won't get into DirectX 10 vs 11 or buffer and what not but lets face it, the lifespan will favor Win7 for several years and we'll undoubtedly will see future DirectX versions and software that'll most likely run only under Win7 so why not run that direction. 

If you have the cash to burn and don't want to build a system, ibuypower and digipower might be the way to go but your going to have to do your homework and make sure you have everything you need form the get go. Like I said, they tend to cut costs on power supply and the mother board so you don't want to go in saying "I just need 4 gb of ram" and find out your motherboard maxes out at 4! (and yes I've known ppl that have bought from both brands and it has happened to them). I still think however you have a more decent chance buying from them than getting a gaming desktop from dell's alienware series without the added costs of a fancy case or paying as much for HP. 

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

Originally posted by alexanys1982

And before you say it, no I wont be buying it for ps3, I played the old one on ps3 for a while (my 1st mmo btw) and having to switch from the keyboard to the controller on the COUCH was clunky and uncomfortable.

May I present how I dealt with that same issue....

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-NetPlay-Controller-Sony-Playstation/dp/B00006SKJ4

it is not available at that link, but you can see what I am talking about...you can still get them from Ebay on occasion (I just got a new one just in case)

It really was the best Solution for FFXI specifically, on the PS2. It worked on the PS3, and would likely be a solution for your situation if you purchased a PS3 for FFXIV.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature