Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Perma Weak Superman?? WTH!

I just watched a dev preview video where Superman, Green Arrow, Batman, etc were trying to defeat a villain in Star Labs. Ok, we all know Superman = god mode without Kryptonite. The interviewer asked the dev about this and the dev kinda of ducked the question saying that in the comics each superhero has a weakness that can be exploited. Umm ok... I saw no glowing green rocks in that video and Superman was there but seemed to be no more powerful than any other hero on that video.

Has this been explained yet?? Will Superman be perma-weakened in the game??

Comments

• TonevTonev Member Posts: 462

You know this is a good question, as I plan on running with a hero that mimic's green lantern or Captain Marvel and a villain that mimics Sinestro or Black Adam and I hope like hell that the powers reflect this within this MMO game.

One of the posts I seen on this forum made a lot of sense in regards to powers as well, if I am a man like Batman in a costume why would I want to pick a car up in the air and toss it like super man (defeats the purpose of getting superman powers)?

I hope this isn't another Champions or City of heroes clone with a different skin in the making, as I didn't play those games for long due to immersion or there not really being a point to the game.

• mmcguire2mmcguire2 Member Posts: 310

On the other side of the coin. if this was a game that had the iconic hero fly in, kick ass and fly off people would be asking "whats the point of my characture" I'm sure this game isn't going to please everyone. people want to feel like they are helping the big heros.

I hope this isn't going to be another CoX/CO type game. I have such high hopes for CO and in my OP it failed.

I wil be playing this on my PS3, I think its time to move to consoles, I hate worrying about requirements. I like knowing that any PS3 game will work on my PS3, and it doesn't matter that I have a 1st generation PS3 or the newest.

• MirrorMasterMirrorMaster Member Posts: 11

Thanks for the replies. I guess the the DCU devs have not fully answered this question yet. I hope they will find a way to stay true to their own comics and have gameplay balanace at the same time. A Superman that is not super will not be a good selling point in my opinion.

• HitechLolifeHitechLolife Member Posts: 210

Supes should be a raid boss levelled to 3 expansions away.

Currently Playing: The Game

• DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

Note, I'm jumping in here purely as a geek not as someone from the site... :)

But, to play devil's advocate, Superman pretty much breaks every superhero rule too. He's tough to balance and I suspect this may be one thing they pretty much cannot get right.

I've asked them exactly this question before and got that same answer. My guess is there will be more kryptonite situations than Smallville ;)  But who knows.

Regardless, even if people do just have to accept that Superman is no cooler than the other superheroes, it shouldn't matter much since his rules don't even apply to them obviously. For example, the "inspired by" function they have for people who want to base themselves around a certain guy are tough with Superman too. I never really got a full answer since he's basically just all of them combined. I suspect they're just going to have to dodge around this a lot to make a proper game.

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com
    Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Dana

But, to play devil's advocate, Superman pretty much breaks every superhero rule too. He's tough to balance and I suspect this may be one thing they pretty much cannot get right.
    I've asked them exactly this question before and got that same answer. My guess is there will be more kryptonite situations than Smallville ;)  But who knows.
    Regardless, even if people do just have to accept that Superman is no cooler than the other superheroes, it shouldn't matter much since his rules don't even apply to them obviously. For example, the "inspired by" function they have for people who want to base themselves around a certain guy are tough with Superman too. I never really got a full answer since he's basically just all of them combined. I suspect they're just going to have to dodge around this a lot to make a proper game.

I guess they must tone down Superman for a MMO. But then, Batman defeated Supes twice, once in "Hush" and another time in "Dark Knight Returns".

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

C´mon!

Didnt we see that comming?

What would you want the devs to do with Superman? Having him do all the quests for you? He could do it you know!

The only good way to handle it is to get rid of him (into another dimension or something)

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by daarco

C´mon!
    What would you want the devs to do with Superman? Having him do all the quests for you? He could do it you know!
    The only good way to handle it is to get rid of him (into another dimension or something)

Lol, you mean put him into a Spaceship and fire him away like they did with The Hulk? Well, but you know how that went... or maybe you don't: it went BAD. ^^

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• SortisSortis Member UncommonPosts: 193

Game isnt even in beta yet...lets not get our panties in a knot because superman wasnt raping everything in site. Besides in every game that includes other playable characters besides superman he is always taken down a notch, its really the same with every superhero in the justice league. You have to provide story lines and plot points where the heroes have to work together or there would be no point in the JLA or Avengers to even be formed. Rightly so while watching "The Batman" show he is usually always able to take care of those criminals on his own. There are of course times when this is different but more often than not its true. No Batman fan would want to read the JLA comics if Superman is just always saving the day and everyone else in the JLA is a peon compared to him.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678
    Originally posted by Elikal

Originally posted by Dana

I guess they must tone down Superman for a MMO. But then, Batman defeated Supes twice, once in "Hush" and another time in "Dark Knight Returns".

DKR isn't canon (plenty of non-canon examples of heroes beating Supes).  Batman didn't beat Superman in Hush, he broke the mind-control on Superman (big difference).  Though, to be fair to Batman, Bruce thinks Supes is the ONLY member of the Justice League he couldn't just "wing it" to victory in a fight.

That said, I thought they were going to "neutralize" the Superheroes by keeping them busy.  If Superman has to fight Lex Luthor, then he probably has his hands full.  Superman IS very powerful, but there are counters and he can't be in two or more places at once either.  Good Superman stories usually deal with the latter factor or the ethical limits of his power (though in the game the ethical limits might not come up much).

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586
    Originally posted by daarco

C´mon!

That's 3 expansions down the road once 80% of the people on the server hit max level and don't have anything else to do.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221

Superman will have to be nerfed in some way. Maybe they could have him lose partial power somehow.

• gawdzeelagawdzeela Member Posts: 1

Superman is weak against magic, its not deadly to him like the green stuff, but he is capable of being effected by it like a human would be.

• MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355

I know this is an older post, but thought I would answer anyways.  It is hard to balance Superman on anything because they made him to powerful in the comics, so of course he will be dimmed down a little, but in the gameplay footage I have seen he has been fighting alot stronger people. Like Batman fights the Joker while Superman fights Doomsday. If you read the comics you know Doomsday killed Superman with no kryptonite, and that is one of the main bosses you have to fight with him. I think to balance making Superman look weak they upgrade his villains, but the theory is that if you want a Hero thats as strong as Superman than it is possible, so in a world where alot of people will be that strong Superman just wont seem as amazing. Dont get me wrong he is the strongest hero in the superhero universe but they have to make him seem like you can actually give him some help or you will go on a mission with him, he will do all the work and you will stand there looking stupid.

Mystery Bounty

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

Originally posted by MirrorMaster

I just watched a dev preview video where Superman, Green Arrow, Batman, etc were trying to defeat a villain in Star Labs. Ok, we all know Superman = god mode without Kryptonite. The interviewer asked the dev about this and the dev kinda of ducked the question saying that in the comics each superhero has a weakness that can be exploited. Umm ok... I saw no glowing green rocks in that video and Superman was there but seemed to be no more powerful than any other hero on that video.

Has this been explained yet?? Will Superman be perma-weakened in the game??

Think of it like this. People were mad when Jedis could destroy entire mobs of people in one sitting in SWG. Now they are on even planes with everything else in the game. So yes superman will prolly be a big wuss. Bout as strong as Harley Quinn. This is of course speculation. But i don't see myself being wrong.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by gawdzeela

Superman is weak against magic, its not deadly to him like the green stuff, but he is capable of being effected by it like a human would be.

And all he has to do is speak magic spells backwards to use his powers, so it's a hinderence but not a limitation. One example was in the Superman/Masters of the Universe crossover, where Eternia is based on the rules of magic.

Edit: spelling. How the hell did I misspell Superman?:P

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• sinloisinloi Member UncommonPosts: 201

world of cardboard.

search for it on youtube it somes up superman in a Justice league setting like this.

in teh JLU cartoon superman fans were pissed because he was getting bloown back by simple machine guns.

the problem is certain heroes namely Supes and martian manhunters are deus ex machina, the break teh genre.

they can literally do whatever they want

sortof like why DR strange seems so weak in team ups with a word dr strange can unmake worlds. same with scarlet which.

it's sortof like an odd twist on the inverse ninja rule.

essentially Superman is holding back because if he used ALLL his power he'd utterly obliterate a town by punching one bank robber in the face.

but it's hard to hold back and not hold to much back just as it's hard to put power into what he is doing without to much power.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Superman as a character is a plot-killer. That's why they had to invent Kryptonite - to put in some dramatic tension.

Allowing players to become as strong as the major superheroes would be a huge mistake. They can help out by taking on minions and/or performing some other tasks (deactivating devices or such) while the main hero takes on the main villain.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

Couldn't it be explained by, um, gas-form Kryptonite present in the atmosphere of the planet? In a world full of Supermans, this would be like the first priority for the evil masterminds, either that or kryptonite present in like every armor and weapon in the game.

• handheldhandheld Member UncommonPosts: 120

You know i think what they might have done is given him an insane amount of health and possibly given his strength a level to which we cant attain i think that by doing that they can still keep the hes superman ordeal.

• BeefMach1neBeefMach1ne Member Posts: 32

WEll basically it's simple because there can only be on answer that fits the unvierse. Kryptonite ...

Maybe Lex designed Krytonite clouds that could spread all over the atomosphere .. he had planned on removing supermans powers completely thus allowing him to be killed.  But (Since Kryptonite is so rare) he didn't have enough resources to create such an enviorment. THus only succeeding in reducing supermans power intensity while on earth. (we can assume that this is irrevesiable so supes can't just fly out and crush the clouds or something).

That sounds fair enough to me.

So with that said superman needs help now because he isn't as strong as he used to be.

and since its only earth that has been effected maybe some expansions can have supes go out to another planet and have full powers again for a HUGE encounter.

• TheNinjaboyTheNinjaboy Member Posts: 243

They shouldn't (and BETTER NOT) tone down anyone otherwise it's NOT D.C.

They just have to be creative in their story arcs and when/where to use the big boys.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

Me and a friend were thinking about this the other day.  We decided that rather than superman types being weak.  That a kryptonian race should be an epic, unlockable character - something like Jedi in old swg, or deathknights in WoW or a better version of the squids in CoH/V.

Something where after you get to a certain level/quest whatever you now get this super super race.  Man I would love that.

Venge Sunsoar

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

I think its safe to say Superman will be no harder than your average dungeon boss to defeat.

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647

Thats what they did in Smallville, they made all kinds of Krypton weapons incase the Superman needs to be killed.