Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The beginning of the end for this game

124»

Comments

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

Originally posted by safety

Originally posted by jaxsundane

Orig

For a minute I tried to ignore all the movie talk but some people seem to want to keep it going I think you are looking for movieinfo.com or something like that this board is about mmo's not your opinion of movies.....

My post was about the debasement of the franchise - as represented by the shitty Eps VI, I, II and III. I was expressing the hope that their finger-sniffing badness would not also infect SWTOR. As such, discussion of the films are strikingly relevant to SWTOR.

This thread is not about the movies, since of course this game is set in a whole other timeline. You want to discuss the origional timeline go to the SWG forums. What this thread is really about is spreading untruths and opinions as if they were actual facts about TOR. Like i posted before, people are just not taking what Bioware is stating as facts and the truths about the game, yet in turn, even though i hate to bring another game into this, will blindfully eat up and believe everything that the GW2 devs have released about that game even without any type of video to back it up. Talk about the ultimate irony and double standard.

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

Originally posted by musicmann

Orig

For a minute I tried to ignore all the movie talk but some people seem to want to keep it going I think you are looking for movieinfo.com or something like that this board is about mmo's not your opinion of movies.....

My post was about the debasement of the franchise - as represented by the shitty Eps VI, I, II and III. I was expressing the hope that their finger-sniffing badness would not also infect SWTOR. As such, discussion of the films are strikingly relevant to SWTOR.

This thread is not about the movies, since of course this game is set in a whole other timeline. You want to discuss the origional timeline go to the SWG forums. What this thread is really about is spreading untruths and opinions as if they were actual facts about TOR. Like i posted before, people are just not taking what Bioware is stating as facts and the truths about the game, yet in turn, even though i hate to bring another game into this, will blindfully eat up and believe everything that the GW2 devs have released about that game even without any type of video to back it up. Talk about the ultimate irony and double standard.

Internet forums in uneducated opinion presented as fact and double standards and hypocrasy of teenage gamers shocker! read all about it.

Seriously mate, I have given up on these forums as a place for sensible debate, its just full of people projecting their fantasies as reality, its the same forums that predicted Warhammer online would kill wows pvp community forever.  Or that  AoC would steal their PvE raiders, or that LotrO would end their RP servers you know the usual dross.  I still remember way before I started posting seeing WAR as top of the hype list for weeks on end and the same goes for Champions online and AoC.  The people on this forum represent probably less than 0.000001% of MMO gamers and some how think that because a few "mainstream hating" people who cry "we want innovation" while tearing down anyone who tries to turn a profit think that a game will succeed or fail makes any difference.

Rather than just hoping for as many MMO devs as possible to be successful (Competition breeds innovation)they like to sit and bitch about how god aweful blizzard are and how all theme parks must be wow clones and thus suck, we want something new to play but we dont actually want anything new is the regular theme here.

So I wouldnt try to point out any of the hypocrasy of posts on the internet, if you try and turn topics into rational debate on these forums, you will just get a bunch of virtual goths "Im an individual man, dont do mainstream maaaan" quoting their "facts" to you.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Originally posted by someforumguy

OP makes no sense and only shows ignorance.

1. Adeptstrain moved to SW:TOR way after the designing stage of SW:TOR has finished.

2. Adepstrain is a coder and was never responsible for decisions about SWG. If anything, he is one of the good devs that is responsible for coding new UI windows and features (story telling system, appearance window etc).

The fact that he worked on SWG doesnt automatically mean anything about the course that SW:TOR will go in. It just means that Bioware thinks he is good in what he does.

I show ignorance, do I? Or am I just quoting what the reporters on massively.com have said? Everything I have said is lifted almost verbatim from their report. If you don't like the news, take it up with them with my blessing.

You didnt just quote. Your topic title is all doom and gloom, just because a SWG coder transferred to SW:TOR devteam. Its totally uncalled for.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Originally posted by someforumguy

OP makes no sense and only shows ignorance.

1. Adeptstrain moved to SW:TOR way after the designing stage of SW:TOR has finished.

2. Adepstrain is a coder and was never responsible for decisions about SWG. If anything, he is one of the good devs that is responsible for coding new UI windows and features (story telling system, appearance window etc).

The fact that he worked on SWG doesnt automatically mean anything about the course that SW:TOR will go in. It just means that Bioware thinks he is good in what he does.

I show ignorance, do I? Or am I just quoting what the reporters on massively.com have said? Everything I have said is lifted almost verbatim from their report. If you don't like the news, take it up with them with my blessing.

Are you and souldrainer the same person?  Because I think that's who he is talking about but in any case if it happens to be you the massively article doesn't in any way imply "the beggining of the end for this game" as the thread says it only mentions that SWG is losing a dev who the community seems to be quite fond of I didn't see anything negative in the article about either TOR nor SWG.

Oh, did I make a mistake?

No. The massively article said specifically that this developer was responsible for 'new jedi', 'melee attacks' and 'death troppers' - all of which were part of the general degradation of the game and all of which were strongly criticised by past and present players of the game.

Hope that clarifies things for you. OK?

Adepstrain was never in the position to chose what content was going to be added. He was pure coder. So massively assumes wrong. You are blaming the wrong dev. Its either Dotanuki or Blixtev who decided for the deathtroopers.

If he has to code the stuff, it doesnt automatically mean that he chose for it to be added. Im getting tired of ppl who blame the coders for the direction a game is taking.

Its one thing to blame a company, but when you start pointing an accusing finger at a person, you better be right about it.

• n00n3rn00n3r Member Posts: 45

Originally posted by Benjola

Originally posted by Palebane

Originally posted by Benjola

I have a feeling that SWTOR will be the flop of the century, a massive failure of monumental proportions.

I hope for Bioware's sake I'm wrong (they make decent single player RPGs that I enjoy).

I've been following this game for a year now and its clear to me that both Bioware and LA are out of touch with the MMO comunity, kinda like Funcom was with AoC, good intentions and hard workers but unable to understand the difference between MMO and SP gamer.

Depends on what you mean by flop. I think they will make enough in box sales to cover development, personally. Probably pre-orders alone too.

I believe that too but Funcom made money with AoC at launch too and so did the idiots at Cryptic with STO.

Both games are considered failures though.

not from a buisness standpoint though.  

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Originally posted by n00n3r

not from a buisness standpoint though.  

Pretty sure you are right about that, and unfortunately, that is what matters when future games are made.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• ErstokErstok Member Posts: 523

Don't like the product don't pay for it. You the consumer has that right. Not like they are sticking there hand in your pocket themselves and stealing it from you. Take some responsibility for your own wallet at least.

Personally I wouldn't support a single moron who ruined SWG to begin with. Let alone even support them on another SW game they can throw zombies and angel wings into the mix. There is no way I would support another train wreck. Ruin themselves with there own actions. Not everyone else's. They failed and chances are they aren't going to make up for it anytime in the future.

When did you start playing "old school" MMO's. World Of Warcraft?

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

1. That dev joined after NGE and was actually extremely popular with the community, as were the features he was responsible for.

2. A game can fail because some individuals from another game that failed came over? Because you know, leadership of the team, design direction, company suits at the top of the ladder, money & people available, ... all have nothing to see with it amirite?

Seriously...

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

1. That dev joined after NGE and was actually extremely popular with the community, as were the features he was responsible for.

2. A game can fail because some individuals from another game that failed came over? Because you know, leadership of the team, design direction, company suits at the top of the ladder, money & people available, ... all have nothing to see with it amirite?

Seriously...

This is what I find so funny. This dev was not there for the NGE. He had nothing to do with the changes in NGE. Yet, somehow he will manage to make another MMO fail just by being hired. Come on people get real. 

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Originally posted by catlana

Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

Seriously...

This is what I find so funny. This dev was not there for the NGE. He had nothing to do with the changes in NGE. Yet, somehow he will manage to make another MMO fail just by being hired. Come on people get real. 

What most people don't get is that, for a lot of  KOTOR fans, SWG was a failure before NGE was even thought of.  On one hand, you had a Star Wars game with a lot of interaction, story, and action.  On the other hand, you had Everquest with a Star Wars coat of paint.  In my mind, the more TOR distances itself from SWG, the better it will be.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Oh, did I make a mistake?

No. The massively article said specifically that this developer was responsible for 'new jedi', 'melee attacks' and 'death troppers' - all of which were part of the general degradation of the game and all of which were strongly criticised by past and present players of the game.

Hope that clarifies things for you. OK?

First I think you missed the part where they said Jedi animations (not NGE Jedi). Second he coded the death troopers instance, he didn't choose the story content of that instance, which was based on a novel.

BTW, I liked episode VI... Not the Ewoks (of course), but there were plenty of memorable moments from that movie.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• BullseyeArc1BullseyeArc1 Member UncommonPosts: 410

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Originally posted by Relampago

Puff puff pass, you dont know what they know nor do you know the current state of the game.  See you in game in 2011.

It will be interesting to see how much we know about the game when the Collectors' Editions and Lifetime Subscriptions are put out for sale.

I was a sucker for that stuff 10 years ago, Mmmmm rare item, gotta have.  Problem is most games are being released to early, its either the economy or the game company spent all the production egg, so they gotta release.    I stay away from launchs, but by the time they fix things the populations moved on to the new game.    

The problems with the company but its also with the gaming community.     I saw that with AOC; sure it had problems, but by the time they fixed em the population left.     The same thing happened to SWG, people saw that the game wasnt finished they left as fast as they came in.    If SWG could have held onto those players it would be looking at  2 million + population. 

Sounds like that wont be the problem this time, what Bio-ware is going to be fighting, "Hmmmm this isnt SWG, cya".    The Kotor community needs to realize thier a nitch market, this game isnt going to be the broad game everyone wants.    But then again an all encompassing SW mmo will probably never happen.