Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ideas

OK I have been playing starport for a month now, and I think its a pretty good game. After playing, i have some suggestions that probably would work:

* Gamers owning starports- being able for your corperation to own more than just colonies would be great, and having starports in systems that dont have one would be nice. Have a limit on how many a corp can be able to own, and have them cost A LOT (is 10 mil too much?). Have it so you can set what resources you could buy and sell, how much the inn charges, and military presence(to ward off robbers). Some rules would stay, like no one with -1000 rep could stay, and you cannot invade a starport (a staport would just have too many defenses for any corp to take)

* UN missions- At police stations, have missions for those who have a UN commision, like go to a cirtain planet and clear it of aliens (have the planet have loads of small aliens, with a big alien boss or something), or transproting a delegate or something. And how about beefing up the intel reports....... not giving the exact location, but giving a general area (a 15 hop radius?)....... right now the intel reports might as well get used for toilet paper ::::06::

* Pirates sleeping in UN space- yes they pay a hefty tax for it, but it does'nt make sense when they are wanted by the UN. I suggest that it get treated like a starport, you hit -1000 rep, you cannot stay in UN space. Remember, they made the choice to be evil, so they should'nt be able to sleep in UN space.

Well thats all i have for now........... what does everyone think?

Comments

• IppsIpps Member Posts: 77
    I agree wtih everything KLUMP.
  • theseertheseer Member Posts: 13

yes, this is a good idea but 10 mil is no easy feat for some people (me).
    to do this we would have to extend game length.

ThA-sEeR awaits.

ThA-sEeR awaits.

• AildailAildail Member Posts: 7

well maby you can have a small star port for small corps and the Such and Maby you can
    have some Sistem Denfece Sistem that fires abon poeple of 1000- soo there can be like a missel sistem
    that well fire with homers or that can be used for the Colony and such

Ok... big ship over there and one there three more over there Commander CAN WE GET OUT OF HERE ?!?!

----------------------------------------
    Ok... big ship over there and one there three more over there Commander CAN WE GET OUT OF HERE ?!?!
    ----------------------------------------

• StyerStyer Member Posts: 6

okay i like all your ideas for that exept that people under -1000k rep cant stay in un space, evil people also have lives and need to log off, i would be fore this is evil people had a safe place to log out also. and spawned there.

• KLUMPKLUMP Member Posts: 8

The players that choose to be evil already have advantages (stealing from starports, and being able to buy nukes at the pirate base), they should not get the privilage of sleeping in UN protected space, especially when they are wanted by the UN........ thats like a real life criminal sleeping on the police steps. How about this: players that have bounties on thier heads cannot sleep in UN space, and if they're shot down while they are offline, they go to "jail" until they log back on, preventing them from being shot down again. Remember, these players are choosing to be evil, and when your do something evil, you have to deal with the consiquences. (remember, this is just for logging off in UN space........ you can still fly in UN space and visit ports there)

One more idea.................. the bad guys have bounties, why not put bounties on the good guys, so the bad guys can do some hunting? I think it would make some game a little more interresting

• XiraXira Member Posts: 437

A problem with this idea, that sounds good on paper, is that there is absoutly no effective way to protect yourself while you are logged out. You can't have a colony and sleep in it and expect to wake up in one peice.

The first thing that needs to be fixed is colony defense...It's just not effective. Fix that and then this idea becomes plausible because pirates will be able to find a safe place to sleep by building a colony:)

• spiceantspiceant Member Posts: 44

Originally posted by Xira

effective. Fix that and then this idea becomes plausible because pirates will be able to find a safe place to sleep by building a colony:)

or taking one like they always do.

the bad thing about idea's is that they may be unbalancing

although this game could use a little bit more complexity :), in another game there's load's of complexity and choice's to make. kind of ship and what engine's to use radar/weapon/etc... allied ship's you can control (kinda like having another exe. galaxy whale doing trade runs for ya)!

i love this game for the colony making and everything that you can achieve with those, piracy is just to single minded for me.

Me, Myself and no-one else

everyone is stupid but we considder that normal
    http://www.ferion.com/?p=84375, a turn base'd space game

• KLUMPKLUMP Member Posts: 8

I do somewhat agree that colony defenses need more work, but i get the feeling that what you are looking for is a colony that cannot be invaded, by any means. If thats what you are looking for, then i'm sorry, but it wont ever happen (unless they make every server "no colony invasion"). The fact of it is, no matter how much the developers beef up colony defences, sooner or later your colony will be invaded. It all depends on how much credits the invading corperation has at its disposal.

• XiraXira Member Posts: 437

>I do somewhat agree that colony defenses need more work, but i get the feeling that what >you are looking for is a colony that cannot be invaded, by any means. If thats what you are >looking for, then i'm sorry, but it wont ever happen (unless they make every server "no >colony invasion"). The fact of it is, no matter how much the developers beef up colony >defences, sooner or later your colony will be invaded. It all depends on how much >credits .the invading corperation has at its disposal.

That's part of what needs to be balanced. Should one guy in a good ship be able to take a colony without takeing a single point of damage? It's very possible right now. Infact it happens all the time.

I think that one player, no matter how good or how much money they have, should not be able to take a fully defended colony over. It should take 3-4 players to take that colony. The game Project Visitor has that balance down pat, this game does not.

Once that balance is present you'd have to piss someone off awafully bad for them to get 4 guys togther to take your colony you are sleeping at. And thus you can go to sleep with some sort of expectation that you will wake up alive. Only then will "non protected logouts" be viable.

• theseertheseer Member Posts: 13

a properly defended colony can be very effective though.
    when i tried to take a colony back by going landing on a planet withing a matter of seconds i lost 10000 shields.

ThA-sEeR awaits.

ThA-sEeR awaits.

• death.adderdeath.adder Member Posts: 12

I have to agree with Klump,  but how would this work...

set up a pirate protected area around the pirate base, the same way it is around Sol.  Same rules would apply only just for the pirates.  Also in this area put pirate only starports that we can log off in?  Just a thought.

• TarinTarin Member Posts: 15

Yeah, I'm all for banning pirates from UN space... BUT... they need /somewhere/ they can go. If nothing else make it possible for them to log off in the pirate base safely. That way, they can log off safely, if they're willing to spend a lot of warp to get there or to limit their actions to the nearby area. Or build a highly defended colony where they want to work out of.

• ShallShall Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I have just recently started playing, and I am having a blast. I do agree that if your evil that UN space should be off limits to sleeping. I think that maybe allowing evil players to sleep at the pirate base makes more sense, afterall it is the pirate base. My suggestion would be a den where you could log off at for say a charge of 5000 per hour or so to start and let it go up from there based on how evil you are. I have played one evil character named ALF on the New Explorers server, and found that once you figure out stealing money is no longer a problem at all.Ok enough of my ramblings at 5am take care all

• TooncesToonces Starport AdminMember Posts: 41

Thank you for the suggestions. Pirates staying in U.N. space is balanced by cost effectiveness. It should be very expensive, and so they can get protection, but they have to pay a lot. I know it doesn't make "fiction sense" like why would a wanted criminal sleep on the police steps, etc. but in terms of game play it gives the evil players a safe place if they're willing to invest a lot of their income into it, and I think that's okay.

I like the idea of the quests and I'll be trying to get  together  some additions for that. Also the intel reports will probably get just a tad better (not much though).

Starports owned by players is a little too involved of a change for me to make right now. Again thanks for the suggestions, and sorry I sometimes don't read the forums all that frequently.

-Toonces
    Starport Administrator

-Toonces
    Starport Administrator

• tanisknighttanisknight Member Posts: 4
    i have to agree with pirates not being able to stay in un space, but with one exclusion of the pirate base, they should atleast beable to stay there since they adhere to pirates after all, but if that is so it should be a heafty price beacuse, how else would a pirated place make a profit than stealing from the very people who steal from othere bases, but there should be a way for commsioned players to still be able to get at the most wanted aswell, i dunno just an idea...mabey somebody else can expand on it

• CaliithCaliith Member Posts: 12

I personaly think there should be fighterbases for colony defense

seeing as how turrets are so easily evaded by a skilled enough player

• lowbylowby Member Posts: 15

I agree I built up an amazing defence for my colony then this one skilled player bought loads of shields and just ran the gauntlet of them all and straight into my base,  i had spent so much on beefing up the defenses and then he runs straight through them.  Could you make mines more destructive?? Or turrets solid instead of been able to fly through them??

Vederax will PAY for TAKING MY COLONY!!!!!!!!

• CaliithCaliith Member Posts: 12

Originally posted by lowby

I agree I built up an amazing defence for my colony then this one skilled player bought loads of shields and just ran the gauntlet of them all and straight into my base,  i had spent so much on beefing up the defenses and then he runs straight through them.  Could you make mines more destructive?? Or turrets solid instead of been able to fly through them??

Vederax will PAY for TAKING MY COLONY!!!!!!!!

umm........... you can only fly through them if theyr urs.....