Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

being realistic

tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372

what are the real chances of getting into an active raiding guild in this game?

as a new player, fresh 80, etc.? just an average joe gamer.

not even a good raiding guild, just one that does it regularly, and even progresses slowly. are there guilds in this game that are just starting raiding? or even better, leveling guilds?

i'd just like to know if its worth it to level a character (i see leveling as a learning process, i dont necesarily like it so much as i like raiding/dungeons)

Comments

• CymTyrCymTyr Member Posts: 166

I came back to the game early this year and found a good guild that raids often. I'm only in the 40's myself, but they don't mind my presence, and if I were to get to cap I'd probably be able to squeeze into a few raids here and there until I've proven myself.

I can't speak for every server, but Everfrost server is pretty decent as far as the community and end-game guilds.

• RedRaptor22RedRaptor22 Member Posts: 44

Antonia Bayle has quite a few guilds that would fit your criteria, It's an rp server but they make up a small quiet minority if thats not your thing, i'm not an rp'er but it's full more than most other servers and finding groups is never very hard.

The trick to getting into raiding and instancing is choosing a class, not every group will take more than one tank or healer but they will always need a few dps, utility and croud control classes.

My main is a berzerker thats built for solo but i've been able to get into a few raids and tons of instances just to fill out the group, my brigand has'nt failed to get into a group for anything because of his one huge debuff, assassins and wizards are rarely turned down for anything either.

I think once you play a good filler class for a while and get a little reccognition your guild will eventually end up letting you bring anything you want as long as they have the major classes in group, most people will grind up a bunch of classes so they can simply switch toons depending on what's needed so they never have to miss out, the grind is easy enough to do it fairly quickly.

• tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372

thank you for the replies.

been bouncing around a few games lately, nothing really grabbing me yet. i have just begun the trial, and am enjoying it so far - sounds promising long term.

stupid question - i havent been able to find any options to add more hotbars to the UI, any ideas? lol

• rznkainrznkain Member Posts: 539

I like EQ2 but my advice as someone who has played on quite a few of the servers there stay away from Antonia Bayle unless you like a wow like mentality crowd, that server is so far from RP it is not even funny.That doesn't bother me but most nights the general chat is worse than WoW barrens chat.I would try one of the less populated servers smaller overall population but your gonna find the guilds there alot nicer and more mature.

• CymTyrCymTyr Member Posts: 166

Right-click on the main hotbar and you should see an option that says "Add Hotbar" or something similar.

• teddy_bareteddy_bare Member UncommonPosts: 398

Yeah, go to the right server and you have a very good chance of finding quite a few active raiding guilds on each. I know that there are very active raiding guilding on LDL and AB, Lucan D'lere and Antonia Bayle are the games two RP, and highest populated servers. I can also say w/ certainty that there are at least two active raiding guilds on nektulos, but I can't vouch for how good they actually may be.

As for more hotbars on the UI...EQ2 has a fairly customizable UI, no scripting a la WoW, but decent enough none-the-less, check out EQ2Interface.com to find easy to use, community built UI mods. Or, if you don't feel like dealing w/ a custom UI, to add more hotbars you need to click on the spinner of an existing hotbar (you know, the up and down arrows) and choose "Open New Hotbar" or "New Hotbar" or some such.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Originally posted by tokini

what are the real chances of getting into an active raiding guild in this game?

as a new player, fresh 80, etc.? just an average joe gamer.

not even a good raiding guild, just one that does it regularly, and even progresses slowly. are there guilds in this game that are just starting raiding? or even better, leveling guilds?

i'd just like to know if its worth it to level a character (i see leveling as a learning process, i dont necesarily like it so much as i like raiding/dungeons)

Your chances are EXCELLENT.  There are many downsides for EQ2 as a game, but where it really shines is in high level group and raid content and in making that content accessible to all kinds of players.  Many people who've never raided, get into it in EQ2. 

There are always guilds looking for more people to raid.  And they come in all shapes and sizes - from guilds that raid for 2 hours twice a week to guilds that raid 6 hours a day, 6 days a week.  If you're a newbie, don't go for a hardcore guild.  Like I said, there are plenty of "casual" raid guilds that'll take new players.

My suggestion would be - get to 90.  Learn to play your class.   Learn to be good in groups by running level 90 instances.  Learn what kind of gear is good for your class - even if you can't get all of it.  If you're dps, learn what your class SHOULD be parsing.  Ask people who are better than you for advice.   eq2flames.com is not a "friendly" site, but it has the best information from the most skilled players.  If you're willing to look and learn, you'll do well.

Finally, be aware of what classes are needed in raids - it's extremely hard to get into a raid as a tank class.  A raid only has a couple of tanks and the entire raid depends on their skill, so if you want to be a tank - you have to be the best.   Utility classes such as bards and chanters get into raids even if they totally suck.  Healers also have a pretty easy time getting in.  This leaves DPS classes.  There are more dps classes in the raid than anything else, so there is lots of space.  Of course dps is measured on the parse, so if you continually underperform, someone will notice.   At least in the more serious guilds.  In totally casual guilds, no one cares.

eq2flames also has "raid progression" listed under every server, if you're going to be choosing a server, look for one that has a lot of different guilds listed in this thread.  I know Lucan DLere (my server) has a whole bunch of casual guilds that would love an extra level 90 or two, regardless of class (except maybe tanks - not sure).

To sum it up:  EQ2 is very friendly to new level 90s getting into raid guilds.  As long as you're not a tank or a complete idiot.  If you're a tank, you have to be awesome.  If you're an idiot, you can still get into a crappy raid guild.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372

thanks again for the advice...i have been playing a ranger thus far, its a lot of fun.

on AA advancement, seems most people think to level up (opinions vary anywhere from 40-80) and then switch slider and grind it out. thoughts? opinions/experiences?

• teddy_bareteddy_bare Member UncommonPosts: 398

I usually keep my AA slider anywhere between 25-35% while leveling up. I find that this range strikes a nice balance as the majority of xp is going towards leveling, yet at the same time I am getting some AA but not too much that it slows my leveling progress. Imo you don't want to put all xp towards leveling b/c then when you get to higher levels you'll find you're slightly gimp.

My suggestion is to play around w/ the slider and test out a range between 25-35% and see what suits your playstyle best. At lower levels you aren't getting much xp per kill/quest, so having a high % of that xp going towards AA will slow you down quite a bit. So try keeping the slider on the lower end of the bar at first, but not so low that you aren't getting any AA at all, and as you get into the higher levels, lets say after level 40ish, crank it up slowly while maintaining a decent leveling pace. Personally, between level 50-90 I'd say that 35% would be ideal, but keep in my mind that up until around level 70, leveling should proress at a decent clip, so if you're finding it slow, turn down your AA a bit.

Basically, my advice is to try and do your best to keep at least some AA coming in, while maintaining a nice leveling pace. You don't want to find yourself totally AA-less when you do hit those higher levels b/c you will have a long, boring grind ahead of you. By my guesstimate, if you keep your slider around where I suggested you'll have a nice AA base, at least 100pts, to build off of when you hit cap. Also remember that certain things such as going to new places for the first time, killing nameds, and a few other things (you can find them all listed by hovering over your AA bar in the AA-windows) will always give a set amount of AA regardless of where your slider is.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Originally posted by tokini

thanks again for the advice...i have been playing a ranger thus far, its a lot of fun.

on AA advancement, seems most people think to level up (opinions vary anywhere from 40-80) and then switch slider and grind it out. thoughts? opinions/experiences?

Get to 90 first, deal with AAs later.

If you're leveling up via a lot of questing, you'll get good AA as you go anyhow.   Once at 90, you'll be able to start doing instances and gearing yourself out and you can work on AAs during the times you can't find a group or have nothing to do.  If your goal is to raid eventually, get to 90 asap.  

This means - set your slider to 0% AA.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO