Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• Excalaber2Excalaber2 Member UncommonPosts: 360

No way!

Disclaimer: This is not a troll post and is not here to promote any negative energy. Although this may be a criticism, it is not meant to offend anyone. If a moderator feels the post is inappropriate, please remove it immediately before it is subject to consideration for a warning. Thank you.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Omg O.o

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

My first reaction is: What about the lifetime subs?  Maybe I should read the articles and find out...

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

looks like its gonna be alot like the DDO system  with VIP accounts and "free points" per month to spend in the store.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

Looks like my question was answered in their release info.

• MishtalMishtal Member Posts: 45

that's huge... i always thought that LotRO was doing much better than this... i been playing on and off since launch but now it's definately going to stay on my system...

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861

If it wasn't a lead-you-by-the-nose quest grinder maybe I could get excited.  As it is I still might mess around with it a little when this starts just so I can see what it's like when there are actually a few other people around.

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

I don't think LotRO is doing 'badly' or 'not well', Turbine; based on DDO, probably just saw that there is money to be made with the DDO type of model.  People come in because it's free, play an extermely long 'trial' and eventually want more so they end up buy 'adventure / quest packs' at the store.

And just like DDO we'll be getting a very polished F2p game right out of the gate.  Sweet.

I'm looking forward to this move, hope they keep it like DDO when it switched over to F2p with regard to current inactive toon's.  I'd hate to start my guy over.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

Wins the news story of the day award.

Not sure about that cash shop they're adding, but overall I support this model to help revitalize MMO's that are unable to attract new blood to their games.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

wow .. this is GREAT news.

I have tried LOTRO before and i like it .. but i didn't sub because i don't have time to play more than one MMO seriously. Now there is no excuse not to play a little. I like the mechanics of their Runekeeper class. May be i can really level up one just playing over weekends.

All they need now is a dungeon finder tool to make grouping easier.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

So I guess for something like 80% of people here should start considering Lotro the "shi**y f2p" game and should rate it 1. Afterall everyone here hates f2p games and their item-shops..

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Was LotRO really doing that poorly for them to switch the pricing model? I know that a lot of people were complaining about lack of updates and that has caused some to leave the game.

Also I wonder what this will do to the community there. I imagine you'll see a rush to level cap currently to avoid the invariable griefers that will come when the pricing model changes.

• KeldienKeldien Member UncommonPosts: 119

Originally posted by arenasb

Was LotRO really doing that poorly for them to switch the pricing model? I know that a lot of people were complaining about lack of updates and that has caused some to leave the game.

Also I wonder what this will do to the community there. I imagine you'll see a rush to level cap currently to avoid the invariable griefers that will come when the pricing model changes.

I imagine it is like Nebless said.  DDO went from mediocre to fairly amazing, in terms of popularity and actual revenue, by changing their pricing model. 

It'll be interesting to see if they repeat it with LotRO.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Was LotRO really doing that poorly for them to switch the pricing model?

On the contrary. It was doing great and this attracts even more people. Not every introduction of F2P is to stop bleeding.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

No, it wasn't doing so poorly.

You have to realize that they are owned by a publicly traded company that purchased them in order to capitalize on their experience with rmt in the online game space.

Publicly traded companies are beholden to their investors to seek out reasonable ways to maximize their investment.

Since DDO did a huge turn around and was far more profitable than they had hoped with this change in pricing model it stands to reason that they hope to repeat the same success with an even more successful pay to play game.

I believe their lack of updates were because:

a, bad economy and the need to be careful with how they spent their money going forward

b, they were in the process of being acquired by Warner Brothers and because of this things were going to change around Turbine

c, they were planning to change the game to the new pricing model (remember, Steefel was replaced by Paiz last year, unbeknownst to us) and so they had to know that all content movign forth was going to have to fit into this model.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

Dungeons Dragons Online, turbines other game, you have to grind to earn points to unlock content.
    I hope they don't do that in LotRO
    They can make money selling I-Win potions.

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

Bend over paid subscribers of LOTRO. You just got the NGE up the butt. 

You leveled your toon, and now there's an item shop with xp potions. Woohooo! time to quit and get some butt creme, and rant about how you were screwed hard with no lube.

Anyone ever again going to trust this company and buy a lifetime "subscription"?

You got a life time subscription. To an Item Shop game! Hahahahahahahahahahahaha the jokes on you! 

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

Originally posted by TwilightEdge

So I guess for something like 80% of people here should start considering Lotro the "shi**y f2p" game and should rate it 1. Afterall everyone here hates f2p games and their item-shops..

In DDO you don't need to pay a thing at the cash shop to unlock content and other character classes, etc., because you can unlock it by simply playing and getting drop items. For me, that's a worthwhile way to do it, and I enjoy doing it.  I don't play DDO that much, but at least I do go back to it, whereas no Asian grinder has lasted more that about 4 weeks on my hard drive.  Even if by a miracle I found an Asian game worth playing, I still wouldn't spend money in a cash shop.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

And this is the way the genre ends. 

Oh well, at least it was only LotRO. That was a lost cause ever since they changed design direction from Middle Earth Online to WoWClone. 

• chrislekochrisleko Member Posts: 200

I fail to see how XP potions in the shop are screwing players.  This isn't a game where people rush to max level.  And if they do, so what?  How does that affect your gaming expereince?  Plus, I'm pretty sure Lifetime members are giong to get the 500 TP a month allotment that subscribers do.

I don't see how this does anything but bring in new players.  Like it did for DDO.

Before DDO:U, it was tough to get a low level group and I had to solo through Korthos.  Now it's tough NOT to get a group there.  Sure the community has changed and there are some immature whiners, but at its core, it's still the same game.  It plays the same.  If you want to pay to unlock things that you want to use and play for free, do it.  Want everything?  Pay the $15 that you would have paid anyway.

Win/Win for all.  This model has proven it works through DDO (which probably was an experiment).

• RZetlinRZetlin Member UncommonPosts: 134

Let's face it, F2P with cash malls are the way of the future for MMORPGs.

I won't be suprised if we see more major titles going F2P.

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

Originally posted by chrisleko

I fail to see how XP potions in the shop are screwing players.  

Well, it has no effect at all on players that like games with XP potions. If you think a game is fun when it has XP potions, then this makes the game better for you, and doesn't screw you at all. 

But if you don't like XP potions, then of course you are screwed. 

Does it matter to you why someone thinks the game is less fun if there is an XP potion in the game?

Can you argue them into having fun playing the game the way you like it?

I think games with XP potions are not fun. 

How would I not be screwed if you ad XP potions to my game?

You'd argue me into liking XP potion games?

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

One of the concerns I imagine are the crafting professions. If potions are able to be bought then doesn't that pretty much eliminate the need for the Scholar profession?

Also I imagine the lower level areas will not be a very fun place to be at if you enjoy a mature community. I don't think the higher level areas will be affected much at all though. Anyway, it will be interesting to see how this works out. I'm not sure if you can take the DDO example and apply it to LotRO, they are two completely different games.

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Originally posted by Ihmotepp

Originally posted by chrisleko

I fail to see how XP potions in the shop are screwing players.  

Well, it has no effect at all on players that like games with XP potions. If you think a game is fun when it has XP potions, then this makes the game better for you, and doesn't screw you at all. 

But if you don't like XP potions, then of course you are screwed. 

Does it matter to you why someone thinks the game is less fun if there is an XP potion in the game?

Can you argue them into having fun playing the game the way you like it?

I think games with XP potions are not fun. 

How would I not be screwed if you ad XP potions to my game?

You'd argue me into liking XP potion games?

Considering that XP potins have been in LotrO since launch via destiny points i dont see the problem... (and destiny points wont be available to F2P players)

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• MurderSceneMurderScene Member Posts: 17

I'll definitely give this a try then =)