Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: The Mummy Online Announced

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Universal Pictures and Bigpoint are partnering to deliver a new MMO based on the popular "The Mummy" film franchise.

The Mummy Online is a free-to-play action-RPG set to launch in Winter 2010, and will allow for players to explore early 20th century Egypt while battling each other and "ancient evil."Key characters and familiar environments from the film series will also appear in the game, digital Brendan Fraser, anyone?

A teaser website is availalbe here.

[Thanks Cecropia and eyeswideopen for the tips!]

Comments

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

No Mike, no,  please say it ain't so!

• LiltawenLiltawen Member UncommonPosts: 245

Why are all these new things 'Browser"?

• WarbandWarband Member UncommonPosts: 723

Oh god......... I though that after the terrible third film they would stop milking the franchise. It seems I was wrong... 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Yeah, I hated the third film Not good.

But still, I like "funny" and I like "funny" in conjunction with things that it would normally not be paired with.

An mmo based on this? I have my doubts. But we'll see. I mean "why"? Why not make a single player game with a robust multiplayer component?

Does this need to be a large virtual world? Though it might be more like STO or CoH? Well, we'll see.

The thing is, "funny" is like "horror". It has to be set up correctly and certain expectations need to be introduced so that we laugh or are scared.

So I am having my doubts as to how "funny" this will actually be and if it will really be a service to the source material.

Such as it is.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SidereusSidereus Member Posts: 316

can everything be made  MMO nowaday...I mean cmon...Mummy online, clone wars online, hello kitty online.... What's next ?  Ninja turtle online, power ranger online...please stop this and come up with new ideas.

Video game market looks like Hollywood... recycling old stuff ,all the time. Like I said, I'd like to see more original IPs like Aion, The Secret World,etc.

QUESTION:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xridnasa:
    -
    What's a "grocery store"? Is that like McDonald's?
    -
    ANSWER:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sidimazz:
    -
    Kind of, just without the rapist.

• pompey606pompey606 Member UncommonPosts: 439

April Fools AGAIN?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Originally posted by Sidereus

can everything be made  MMO nowaday...I mean cmon...Mummy online, clone wars online, hello kitty online.... What's next ?  Ninja turtle online, power ranger online...please stop this and come up with new ideas.

Video game market looks like Hollywood... recycling old stuff ,all the time. Like I said, I'd like to see more original IPs like Aion, The Secret World,etc.

To be honest, and I hate too say this because it sounds overly negative, I don't think this project was born from the need to make a game but more out of a way to capitalize on a franchise.

It just smacks to me of some coporate suits thinking of ways to increase revenue based on what properties they have access to.

"hey, I know, mmo's seem all the rage! Why not an MMO based on 'The Mummy'"?

"There have been pirate mmo's and two STar Wars MMO's so there is precedence for movie tie-in mmo's."

At least that is how it sits with me. Still, it could be fun nevertheless. Or else not see the light of day like so many other projects.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • sevitothsevitoth Member UncommonPosts: 375

WAT

Currently Playing: DAOC Uthgard

Previously Played: UO, DAOC, Shadowbane, AC2, SWG, Horizons, COX, WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, AOC, WAR, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR, ESO, GW2.

• KwanseiKwansei Member UncommonPosts: 334

Damn, I was hoping for Killer Klowns from Outer Space online =(

• dzikundzikun Member Posts: 150

The MMO industry is becoming more of a joke each day... This new project is the proof.

I've been uplinked and downloaded, I've been inputted and outsourced. I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading.

I'm a high-tech low-life. A cutting-edge, state-of-the-art, bi-coastal multi-tasker, and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond.

I'm new-wave, but I'm old-school; and my inner child is outward-bound.

I'm a hot-wired, heat-seeking, warm-hearted cool customer; voice-activated and bio-degradable.

RIP George Carlin.

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,495

This is pretty good... this is the first MMO that -- when announced -- has already missed its launch window!

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369

Give my regards to King Tut, (i dare not type the rest lol).

• Spiritof55Spiritof55 Member Posts: 405

worst...idea...for...a mmo....ever

and to think, some idiots sat around a table greenlighted this travesty thinking its a good idea

• PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682

Oh the outrage! The horror!

How dare they try to make MONEY off of their intellectual property and give MMO players yet ANOTHER option, as well as introduce new potential MMO gamers to genre?

It's time for a revolution, and I'm well-prepared to execute it from my easy-chair!

Hold on a sec, my Hot Pocket (tm) just dinged...

• HeliosXIIHeliosXII Member Posts: 72

....Seriously?

• SauronasSauronas Member Posts: 183

Rofl why would they want to make it an mmo?  LoL it makes no sense.  I can't figure out how that would even work...Dev studios need to stop selling out to these rich trust fund babies and venture capitalists that have hijacked the industry in order to exploit it.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

The chances of this being good are slim as shit.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• Ngeldu5tNgeldu5t Member UncommonPosts: 608

What's next? Van Helsing Online !

In the land of Predators,the lion does not fear the jackals...

• negentropynegentropy Member Posts: 241

Originally posted by Sauronas

Rofl why would they want to make it an mmo?  LoL it makes no sense.  I can't figure out how that would even work...Dev studios need to stop selling out to these rich trust fund babies and venture capitalists that have hijacked the industry in order to exploit it.

Maybe because MMOs are big business? Companies have been snatching up and exploiting IP from other franchises for as long as I've been alive. From sequels to McDonalds figurines to Lego sets, it's all about money.

What's so different about MMOs? Wake up and smell the profit.

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -Winston Churchill
  • DracusDracus Member Posts: 1,449

Originally posted by Samhael

This is pretty good... this is the first MMO that -- when announced -- has already missed its launch window!

And that is why this will be an Epic Fail.

And that is why...

Conservatives' pessimism is conducive to their happiness in three ways. First, they are rarely surprised -- they are right more often than not about the course of events. Second, when they are wrong they are happy to be so. Third, because pessimistic conservatives put not their faith in princes -- government -- they accept that happiness is a function of fending for oneself. They believe that happiness is an activity -- it is inseparable from the pursuit of happiness.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Well it's good to see the crap "make every movie into a terrible piece of crap console game" has spread over into MMOs, the destruction of the video game world  has been completed.

Although I'm sure someone out there is trying to figure out how to preorder or get a lifetime sub and then will complain 2 weeks into the game about how it lacks content and isn't fun to play. 

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Oh well to bad, aonther pos to heap on the pile of other epic fail pos.   Why is everybody going thr browser way. 

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

Originally posted by Dracus

Originally posted by Samhael

And that is why this will be an Epic Fail.

Haha I didnt even notice that... That is HILARIOUS.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

Can you explain the "missed its launch window" comment? I don't get it. 

• wlvnspectrewlvnspectre Member Posts: 96

I believe that if you took the world from the backdrop of the first two films (Circa second world war) with adventuring and tresure hunting and intrigue along with ORIGINAL content, then span England, USA, Canada, Japan, Tibet, Egypt, etcetera.

Also make it classless and skill/training based.

Cover issues like what is the difference between tomb raiding and protecting antiqueties and disturbing the sacresanct of other cultures.