Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The things in Aion that are not quite right for me.

RudyRaccoonRudyRaccoon Member UncommonPosts: 475

Hi, I've been waiting around and am taking a break from playing Aion until patch 1.9 comes out but recently I've been thinking long and hard about Aion. What I've come to the conclusion is that there are things in this game that are not quite right in my opinion, these don't break the game at all but I'll mention them in a list below.

1. Since this is a Korean game, the voices are dubbed and the English voices I have to admit are terrible, it's like something you would expect from an English dub of an Anime. My only solution to this is to mute the NPC voices, but you still have to listen to the voices in the cutscenes but I'm not too fussed about it, just wished it was better.

2. The cutscenes always stutter when they start and some have sound spikes to them, don't know why but the NCsoft intro never shows up when I launch the game. =p

3. I can't believe there are no MOUNTS in this game, even though you can fly in this game but it's limited to how long you can use it, it can't be used everywhere you go and so most of the time your running on foot all the time, it does take ages to get from point A to point B and then back again to A.

4. Some sounds do get delayed for some reason like drawing away your sword, you don't hear the sound until after it's been put away, not sure if this is the cutscenes again or the game in general but I have noticed it and is simply a server lag issue.

So to sum things up, the voices are annoying, the cutscenes are a bit broken in performance and the game lacks in mounts. Should these be considered a turn off in anyway to make people leave the game?

Comments

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

For number 1, you can download the Korean, Chinese, or Japanese voice pack.  It doesn't modify a thing, you just add an extra file to a folder.  I was using the Japanese pack while I was playing and it was good.  You will have to read the subtitles for cut scenes, but it was worth it for me (plus I'm used to reading subs).  

Here is the link for the voices I was using. 

http://letspalapala.blogspot.com/

• RudyRaccoonRudyRaccoon Member UncommonPosts: 475

Originally posted by bleyzwun

For number 1, you can download the Korean, Chinese, or Japanese voice pack.  It doesn't modify a thing, you just add an extra file to a folder.  I was using the Japanese pack while I was playing and it was good.  You will have to read the subtitles for cut scenes, but it was worth it for me (plus I'm used to reading subs).  

Here is the link for the voices I was using. 

http://letspalapala.blogspot.com/

Oh cool, this makes some things so much better, thanks for sharing this to me. =)

Edit: On second thought I'm not too sure now, the Japanese sounds only have 2 female character voices and 3 male I believe.

Trust it's still better than the American versions.  You can always revert back if you don't like it, but it's up to you.  You can do a search for the Korean or Chinese voice pack on Google if you want.  They are also better than the American version IMO.

There is a link to the Korean version on this post at ten ton hammer's forum.

http://forums.tentonhammer.com/showthread.php?t=46464

Edit: Oops, they had the Korean pack on the bottom of that blog I posted earlier anyway haha.  If you're worried about a virus/keylogger, that's good.  Be careful!  I can tell you from my experience that those files are fine, but definitely be careful when it comes to these things.  If you do a google search, though, you will see a bunch of people are using these.  They might even have a more up to date version somewhere.  I'm not playing Aion anymore, so I don't really know.  That's the one I used, though.

• ElectriceyeElectriceye Member UncommonPosts: 1,171

The game doesn't really lack mounts, they're adding more flight points in 1.9 and there are running scrolls and you can glide everywhere (which save a lot of time when used right). The zones aren't huge, so we don't need mounts at least until 2.0.

It's also worth mentioning that mounts are on the way, and it would be nice to have them sooner rather than later though, regardless if we NEEEEED them or not! xD

EDIT: Stuttering at the start of a cut-scene never really bothered me cause its only for like a split second, and I don't know about the sound bugs 'cause I have them turned off. I agree with the voices though, they are super annoying, similar to dubbed animes and that sucks.

I don't know if people would find them game-breaking, for me personally they are non-issues.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

if those 5 are the ONLY problems you have with Aion then you'r in good shape my friend.

if you really dont mind the lag spikes when there is pvp,  the grind,  the cost of everything,  the class inbalance, the sieges lag,  the camera glicthes in Abyss,  all the cheats and hacks people use, all the stollen accounts, ganking, low drop rates, soul healing, riduculous crafting procs, etc..etc....then you are one easy to please fella. good for you man, you will enjoy this game for a long time.

• RudyRaccoonRudyRaccoon Member UncommonPosts: 475

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

if those 5 are the ONLY problems you have with Aion then you'r in good shape my friend.

if you really dont mind the lag spikes when there is pvp,  the grind,  the cost of everything,  the class inbalance, the sieges lag,  the camera glicthes in Abyss,  all the cheats and hacks people use, all the stollen accounts, ganking, low drop rates, soul healing, riduculous crafting procs, etc..etc....then you are one easy to please fella. good for you man, you will enjoy this game for a long time.

Stolen accounts? If you think Aion is bad about stolen accounts then you've not seen the terrors of hacking in WoW...

All MMORPG's are a grind really so no issue there but lag spikes you say in PvP? Wow, now you've got me worried, thank you very much for putting me off from this game. =(

Edit: Oh great, what game can I play now I wonder because I'm struggling to find another MMO to play. =(

Originally posted by RudyRaccoon

Stolen accounts? If you think Aion is bad about stolen accounts then you've not seen the terrors of hacking in WoW...

All MMORPG's are a grind really so no issue there but lag spikes you say in PvP? Wow, now you've got me worried, thank you very much for putting me off from this game. =(

Edit: Oh great, what game can I play now I wonder because I'm struggling to find another MMO to play. =(

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not, but in the unlikely case that it isn't, did one single poster on an mmorpg.com forum put you off a game you had bought and barely tried yet? If that's the case then you won't find another MMO to play. Ever. :)

• ProsonProson Member UncommonPosts: 544

Originally posted by Electriceye

If that's the case then you won't find another MMO to play. Ever. :)

So true, dont listen to others, try for yourself, your own opinion is the only one that counts.

Also, all MMO's have lagg in mass PvP fights, nothing we can really do about that until server technology is better.

Currently Playing Path of Exile

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

There really isn't even lag spikes in pvp. I haven't seen any yet.

by the way i do currently play Aion. why? mostly because i haven't reached level 50 yet and it's somewhat of a challange. all i wanted to do with my above post was point out that imo there are much bigger flaws in this game then the ones OP listed.

to those taht say there is no lag, yes there is. every single player that has played Aion will tell you taht you can actually tell when enemies are lurking arround just by how lag starts to spike. if you'r questing and you get sudden lag spikes it's most likely one or more enemies are in the vicinity . in sieges lag is very very problematic. i have a pretty decent machine(nothing crazy) and any more then 50 palyers in the same place will make the game almost unplayable.

having sed all this i am still casually playing the game because there are things i like about it. i like the world, i like the art, i like the combat animation, i like the character details, i like the flying combat, and (for now) there are still a few challanges left. such as getting to 50. once i reach the end game content playability of the game will become more important and then we'll see if it still works for me. but that is still a ways away.

to those taht say there is no lag, yes there is. every single player that has played Aion will tell you taht you can actually tell when enemies are lurking arround just by how lag starts to spike. if you'r questing and you get sudden lag spikes it's most likely one or more enemies are in the vicinity . in sieges lag is very very problematic. i have a pretty decent machine(nothing crazy) and any more then 50 palyers in the same place will make the game almost unplayable.

The lag isn't caused by how bad your machine is, it's caused by how bad your connection is it's a different issue altogether. The better it is the less you experience lag, there's no 2 way around this.

I have never had these lag spikes when there are a few enemies in your vicinity, and it's the first time I hear about it. However there are dozens of videos on youtube (a few on my guild's site as well) showcasing flawless raiding with hundreds of people on screen with full graphics, no F12, little to no hitches/stuttering (thanks to an awesome PC set-up) and no lag spikes (thanks to a good internet connection). Here are 2 videos showcasing this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqeGffvJeoY&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um64VwJ8KvQ&feature=related

In my case, I've got a decent set-up as well but my connection is bad to say the least, so I lag out most of the times when there are hundreds of players on screen.. :(

Having said that, there aren't many games that can handle such a huge number of players on-screen, AIon is one of the few that can, and it shouldn't be a surprise that the better PC/connection you have, the better your raiding experience will be.

EDIT: shameless ninja typo

this is actually true.  i get only a max of 3.90 Mb/s downlaods and .30 MB/s upload with 40/60 MS ping with the highest internet speed aveilable where i am (as for speedtest.net). i'm sure that is far from awesome.

Yeah I never had lag in Aion (besides rare occasions) unless it was a huge battle.  

• joe3563joe3563 Member Posts: 13

One of the things that  bothers me about Aion is that this game uses TCP rather than UDP between the client and server. This makes the traffic from my client to the server just as important as the server to client traffic. NCsoft can choose the best path for the client to server traffic, but client to server traffic is a crapshoot. It is no wonder there are so many lag issues with this game.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

Originally posted by RudyRaccoon

Unfortuneatly, Aion is 10x worse. 

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100961-Symantec-Uncovers-44-Million-Stolen-Game-Accounts