Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Multiboxing and PvP

uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

LotRO has multiboxers, Eve has multiboxers, WoW has multiboxers, I know a guy in EQ2 who multiboxed
Some people really hate to lose.
Above is a system some guy uses to play Eve. It allows him to run a dozen ships at once.
So how is that different from running into a dozen ships played by 12 people? Focused fire. No doubt he only goes for 1 enemy at a time.
I once saw five muliboxed shammy's take out a NPC guarded flag in one shot with chain lightning in Alterac Valley.
This kind of thing doesn't interest me much. I stick with one toon. However, I can see it's appeal.
Anyone hear of someone raiding with a multibox setup? Probably too complex to deal with.
ReplyQuoteEdit

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

Comments

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Yes there's a guy on wow that raids by himself if i remember correctly. He had about 43 accounts aswell.

• pojungpojung Member Posts: 810

It should be noted that no games (that I know of, currently) outlaw this approach, albeit it clearly is not intended. The word 'avatar' for example, offers a good lead into the assumption that it's 1 person behind 1 character- a direct 1:1 ratio.

I've seen a couple rigs. One former guildie took his past and present 4 comps just to say he built one and ran it, but went right back to being a 1 character-at-a-time guy. The typical setup I've seen is 5/6.

It's a wonder why developpers haven't done something about this work-around inside of multiplayer games. It's only all too simple too:

[DEV'S CORNER] In the game(s) I've developped for funsies, one mechanic we implemented is a built-in 'protection' from a school of attack. Ie: water magic, physical, dark magic...

If you get hit with an attack, you have a 5% redux on anything from that same school for the next .5 sec. If during those .5sec you get hit with another attack from the school triggered, you have another .5sec timer pop, with a 15% redux. It then jumps to 50%. It forces players to be a tad more tactical about their actions, rather than rely on cheeze target~>focus~>burst. While it doesn't completely combat multiboxing or focus-cheez (have a ranger and dark caster be in a group = no attack school overwrites), it does provide a slight hinderance. Enough to not affect honest gameplay, but enough to crack down on cheeze.

That is exactly right, and we're not saying NO to save WoW, because it is already a lost cause. We are saying NO to dissuade the next group of greedy suits who decide to emulate Blizzard and Cryptic, etc.
    We can prevent some of the future games from spewing this crap, but the sooner we start saying no, the better the results will be.
    So - Stand up, pull up your pants, and walk away.
    - MMO_Doubter

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

I know you're not a fan of DAoC but if you're at all interested look up Team Wizzy.  His site seems to be down but you might be able to find a thing or 2 on youtube.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• StevieHmselfStevieHmself Member Posts: 134

Originally posted by Gabby-air

Yes there's a guy on wow that raids by himself if i remember correctly. He had about 43 accounts aswell.

can u please get a link or video of that. its hard to believe that someone would pay $7,740 a year on wow. but none the less it is kinda amazing.

Playing EVE
    Played Darkfall, Played Wow,

• DaywolfDaywolf Member Posts: 749

I had three accounts going at one time in UO, but I think this guys set-up would be difficult to follow. Looks like neck strain. Worth a chuckle though.

M59, UO, EQ1, WWIIOL, PS, EnB, SL, SWG. MoM, EQ2, AO, SB, CoH, LOTRO, WoW, DDO+ f2p's, Demo’s & indie alpha's.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Sam "da Man" Deathwalker from EQ. Used to run like 24 toons on Zek servers.

He used to spout his DPS  capability over on FOH boards. One of the zaniest characters I ever heard of playing MMOs.

*EDIT* Hie epic thread, and another about his plans for WoW....

http://www.fohguild.org/forums/retard-rickshaw-hall-shame/5328-who-has-top-single-person-burst-dps-server-wide.html

http://www.fohguild.org/forums/retard-rickshaw-hall-shame/35500-deathwalker-plans-26-boxing-wow-go-page-100-surprise.html

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

Multiboxing == win
    Multiboxing costs more money since you have to pay a subscription fee for each toon.
    More money == guaranteed win
    Buying win-button items from the cash shop == guaranteed win
    Multiboxing is like buying win-button items from the cash shop

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• pojungpojung Member Posts: 810

Originally posted by uquipu

Multiboxing == win

Multiboxing costs more money since you have to pay a subscription fee for each toon.

I smell a fallacy of accident on the premises. (Grade A pun for those who see it)

That is exactly right, and we're not saying NO to save WoW, because it is already a lost cause. We are saying NO to dissuade the next group of greedy suits who decide to emulate Blizzard and Cryptic, etc.
    We can prevent some of the future games from spewing this crap, but the sooner we start saying no, the better the results will be.
    So - Stand up, pull up your pants, and walk away.
    - MMO_Doubter

• DaywolfDaywolf Member Posts: 749

uhhh sure, if you subtract the skill factor. Not all games are easy to multibox. Buying uber armor in a cash shop, no skill required to use; you just put it on and you are done. To multibox, well it's like having a pet. Having more than a couple is just too much work.

M59, UO, EQ1, WWIIOL, PS, EnB, SL, SWG. MoM, EQ2, AO, SB, CoH, LOTRO, WoW, DDO+ f2p's, Demo’s & indie alpha's.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Multiboxing == win

This is true for games that require no player skill.

Give me liberty or give me lasers