Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallen Earth: "Letters to the Devs" Campaign Launched

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

We've teamed up with the folks at Icarus Studios to announce the launch of the "Letters to the Devs" campaign, which calls on players to send physical letters (snail mail, baby!) to the Fallen Earth developers, and receive letters (and sometimes even swag!) in return.

That's right folks -- you get to pen pal with your favorite developers. Snail mail hasn't sounded this cool in well, ever, really!

So, what kinds of letters should you send to the developers? Well, anything really, ranging from simply saying hello, to a love poem (umm..), a story about your game experiences and journey, or even to pick a devs brain on a few niggling issues you've had in mind. Oh, and please no profanity, nudity, etc. I mean, you wouldn't want to miss out on the neat swag, would you?

For your effort you'll receive a letter back from one of the developers, and sometimes you'll even receive awesome swag, including boxed copies of the game, t-shirts or other Fallen Earth memorabilia.

Turn-around time on letters is expected to be three weeks from when it arrives at the studio (it IS snail mail after all!), and the letters will be posted in a gallery on the official Fallen Earth website, and pehaps even right here at MMORPG.com.

You can mail your letter to:

Fallen Earth Letters, c/o Jessica Orr, 260 James Jackson Avenue, Cary NC 27513.

Please include your real name and a physical mailing address (i.e. no P.O. boxes!).

Visit the official Fallen Earth website for additional information on the post-apocalyptic MMORPG.

Comments

• zastrophzastroph Member Posts: 242

Sounds like a weird way of verifying client addresses!

• augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628

I think this is pretty cool.  Really establishes a link between the devs and players on a personal level.  Haven't played FE in a couple of months, but I do think about going back from time to time.  A good game, just not enough players about.

• ShreddiShreddi Member UncommonPosts: 320

or none client,   its an excuse, cough, I mean Reason for PR to contact media that needs copy, and to offer its readers possible free stuff gets attention.  It is a win win situation marketing has been doing since before mariketing was born,  business owners figured it out to sell product through advertising.  Offer the paper a good enough reason to print the story, like readers getting a chance to recieve cool stuff for just reading their column.   type of cooperative advertising aka co-op advertising.

This post is intentionally written as to not make any sense what so ever. Thank You Very Much.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

I went back last month, but the combat and animations just aren't fun.

• ishistishist Member UncommonPosts: 213

Originally posted by Shreddi

or none client,   its an excuse, cough, I mean Reason for PR to contact media that needs copy, and to offer its readers possible free stuff gets attention.  It is a win win situation marketing has been doing since before mariketing was born,  business owners figured it out to sell product through advertising.  Offer the paper a good enough reason to print the story, like readers getting a chance to recieve cool stuff for just reading their column.   type of cooperative advertising aka co-op advertising.

Since this is Icarus Studios and not EA or Micro$oft I don't mind it really. More likely that someone sitting in the break room eating a hotpocket thought this would be a neat idea than a task force of marketing suits running the numbers on the profitability of this devious PR campaign.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

• ishistishist Member UncommonPosts: 213

P.S. I believe corporations are the bane of quality. I'd much rather give my money to a bunch of people who poured heart and soul into their product. Better them than into the coffers of some board of directors trying to figure out how to make the most money for the least investment.

Wow, I'm feeling awfully anarchist today

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

• hosie73hosie73 Member Posts: 10

Icarus has a fun and cooky way of doing stuff like this.  They had a valentine's day poem contest on their forums, and after being chosen as one of the top 3 I recieved a t-shirt and a homemade valnetine signed by the whole staff.  Was definately one of the coolest things to happen in my all my time in MMOs.

• AriocArioc Member Posts: 299

I think I'd find the game playable if they overhauled the character models and animations. The environments were bland, but I could forgive that if my guy didn't look like an old G.I. Joe toy made flesh. 

To be clear I actually DO want them to overhaul the character models and animations so I will play. I am not just bashing the art for no reason.

Arioc Murkwood
    Environment Artist
    Sad but true.

• JawusJawus Member Posts: 14

Cutesy. If they'd spend as much energy re-evaluatng their game-play platform and mechanics being a pve quest-heavy gthemepark rind with no community factional implications, ormotivations maximixing the push for all players to be interdependant, having no motivation comparedto interactivity with other factions in zone 1-on. 

Maybe I;d singup. Just not a fan of a themepark quest forcedand quest heavy mechanic that bluntss the importance ofcommunity efforts in a supposed sandboxy game,

edit: ambian kicking in,.,.,will have to read this tomorrowto see if it maked sene,

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

Marketing rocks.

To the guy above who said "since its not EA or Microsoft" you really buy that? there is no "For gamers by gamers" any more, every dev studio is run by corporate suits, accept it and enjoy your games, but dont lie to your self.

Cool idea though, and I wish them luck with FE, the MMO market needs as much diversity as it can get.

• pogowolfpogowolf Member Posts: 42

Originally posted by augustgrace

I think this is pretty cool.  Really establishes a link between the devs and players on a personal level.  Haven't played FE in a couple of months, but I do think about going back from time to time.  A good game, just not enough players about.

You might try it again.. I've been playing it for a couple of weeks now and there's plunty of people running around no matter what time I've logged in.