Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard reached #3 topvoted by the userbase o/

well the day has come vanguard, the real spiritual succesor to EQ is about to beat EQ2 (both rated 8.3 by the userbase) so lets get votin o/

edit: 

we just made it to #3 and beat eq2 o/

Comments

• AlyvianAlyvian Member Posts: 342

yup, we have done it vanguard is back in the top3 voted of best online games, where it belongs =)

• RaiveeRaivee Member Posts: 48

Not to be a bad apple or anything but the only thing that kinda makes this look like a meh attempt to promote VG is this...

Well...first, most would know that this is an attempt to promote the game (no shame in that) BUT, when you have a game like EQ2 (where the players are spending more time in game because they don't have to go to sites like mmorpg.com since SOE cares for them) that has been out for 6 years now against a game that's been out for 3 years (and you have players constantly attempting to promote the game with no support), it only makes VG look like it is in more desperate need of help.

Basically, it probably surpassed EQ2...because EQ2 players don't care because SOE does the caring for them as to VG players do care but SOE doesn't care so they have to shamelessly plug away at the little things to try to make it look bigger than it really is.

• metalcoremetalcore Member Posts: 798

VG is now at a score that reflects the game

Now playing: VG (after a long break from MMORPGS)
    Played for more than a month: Darkfall online, Vanguard SOH, Everquest, Horizons, WoW, SWG, Everquest II, Eve

Originally posted by Raivee

Not to be a bad apple or anything but the only thing that kinda makes this look like a meh attempt to promote VG is this...

Well...first, most would know that this is an attempt to promote the game (no shame in that) BUT, when you have a game like EQ2 (where the players are spending more time in game because they don't have to go to sites like mmorpg.com since SOE cares for them) that has been out for 6 years now against a game that's been out for 3 years (and you have players constantly attempting to promote the game with no support), it only makes VG look like it is in more desperate need of help.

Basically, it probably surpassed EQ2...because EQ2 players don't care because SOE does the caring for them as to VG players do care but SOE doesn't care so they have to shamelessly plug away at the little things to try to make it look bigger than it really is.

it is simple why it surpassed EQ2, it IS better as EQ2

• warty-xwtwarty-xwt Member Posts: 3

I've been a bit bored of my current selection of mmos for a couple weeks (wow, war, dfo), this always looked somewhat interesting but my PC had no hopes of running it. Got a better pc now and time for a change, are there any European trial/extended features/recruit a friends going?

May as well use one if there is.

• LeucrottaLeucrotta Member Posts: 679

Originally posted by Alyvian

yup, we have done it vanguard is back in the top3 voted of best online games, where it belongs =)

How many accounts did you make to get it done?

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941

Beating a 6 years old game is not such a great feat.

• osirisssosirisss Member Posts: 54

Originally posted by warty-xwt

I've been a bit bored of my current selection of mmos for a couple weeks (wow, war, dfo), this always looked somewhat interesting but my PC had no hopes of running it. Got a better pc now and time for a change, are there any European trial/extended features/recruit a friends going?

http://vanguard.station.sony.com/isleofdawn/

Originally posted by warty-xwt

http://download.station.sony.com/patch/download/vgo/Vanguard_Trial_PromoID_118.exe <== direct link to the trial installer

also roll on seradon it is by far the most populated server of them all.

Originally posted by Leucrotta

How many accounts did you make to get it done?

One, don't be hating the player, hate the game

But i guess you hate both :)

• ZenNatureZenNature Member CommonPosts: 354

If this game was with any other developer, then this recent fan uprising might actually do some good. But it's SOE we're talking about here. Where is the rollback or classic server for SWG if this kind of show of support would have changed their minds? I'm happy if you guys are happy though - enjoy the game before they shut it off because it's obviously now on life support like MxO was. The game will at least get updates trickled in until the last remaining crew decides to call it and move on. I would be there with you guys if it wasn't for the game crashing on me after a minute of play because of some conflict with nvidia drivers and my vcard.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

What did you guys do go on the official vanguard forums and tell them to vote for VG?

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

well the day has come vanguard, the real spiritual succesor to EQ is about to beat EQ2 (both rated 8.3 by the userbase) so lets get votin o/

edit: 

we just made it to #3 and beat eq2 o/ to put the real EQ2 above the fail o/

And yet almost no one plays Vanguard (what 20k some subscriptions) and yet several times more people play EQ2. Simply put EQ2 players are busy playing (questing, grouping, raiding) while Vanguard players are board and in the forums trying to convince others to play vanguard so they won't be sooo alone. personally didn't even know there was some kinda userbase survey as i'm sure most of those actually playing EQ2 don't.

Not trying to hate just telling it like it really is. Question do you think this userbase survey will actually mean anything  ie more devs / resources put toward Vanguard? Granted i haven't being staying up on vanguard, but last i heard it was on life support with only Sony Station pass keeping it afloat.

there is no need to hate a good game :)

and just cause sony doesnt put the resources in here that vanguard deserves doesnt mean we can't change their minds with a high influx of people

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

and just cause sony doesnt put the resources in here that vanguard deserves doesnt mean we can't change their minds with a high influx of people

It is cool to enjoy your game, but you need to be realisitic about the future of vanguard.

There will be no rebirth.  A few hundred or even a few thousand players is not something that is going to change soe's mind.   They have several new games coming out and all of them will dwarf the size of vanguard, which is most likely around 5k subscribers.  Soe has their eye on bigger numbers for other games and they could care less about a game with a few thousand players in it. 

If soe was going to invest in the game they would already have done so.  They would not wait until after they are getting ready to merger servers again, after they cut the staff to next to nothing, after they move the lead designer to work on eq2, after they announce that most of the development for the game has been cancelled. 

The reality is that this game is winding down and soe has set that into motion.   Enjoy the game for what it has to offer right now and be content with that. 

• SoludeSolude Member UncommonPosts: 691

This is kind of why the MMORPG community  though large is kind of irrelevant to devs, mostly a bunch of whiny impossible to please burnt out players.  VG has no need for a rebirth or dev time or an expansion for someone to pick it up and play what is already there.  If in 6-12 months when you can out and are bored of doing the same runs you leave... thats ok.

Since 04 I have not played any MMO more than six months at a time.  Dev time, expansions, updates don't matter, you simply will get bored and leave.  Enjoy it for what it is and when its no longer fun, leave.  No reason to hold MMOs to a higher standard than single player RPGs other than to give yourself reasons to be miserable whiny players =P

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

heh bit bad idea to make this a EQ2 vs. vanguard thread m8 p

even if Id personally find EQ2s current state being just sad when thinking of how the original game and first 2 expansions were (yes hated their first expansion as well at start, till you figured it actually had quite alot of depth, not only talkin of peacock serie)

Vanguard however do the world feeling way way way better than EQ2, even WoW is better on that part tho....

either way no need hate on EQ2 just to say you find VG a good game, even if VG is the better game at this point, but if you did get SOE to make new content bet on they would "WoWify" it like they do with EQ2.   enjoy VG as it is, and be happy they still bug hunt making it a better game to replay, later on.

• RaiveeRaivee Member Posts: 48

Saying a game IS better than another game is so silly...its an opinion so that says enough how factual it is. But pretty much like the guys above me. EQ2 players don't care about these things because they are too busy in game enjoying the game while VG players are on the boards trying to convince players its the best thing since sliced bread. Not saying EQ2 doesn't do it...they sound less desperate even if they did.

• darkbladeddarkbladed Member Posts: 193

Hey I don't wanna flame you guys here but...

How can Vanguard be better than any other good game?

I mean I played it for two years and it has come leaps and strides from launch but...

1. No future; SOE has decided that it is being supported by a tiny dev team with barely enough money to buy gum.

2. Over 50 it is a WAY different game than pre-50: which leads to frustration afterwards.

3. Very little in the way of end game: 1 compartmentalized island where you need to farm for months/years to get anything, 1 bridge (with an island, 5? bosses on island) 2. Raid zones: one of which is good but played out because it was the only raid zone for over a year and the other you need to farm for weeks for the priviledge of getting an armor set.

This is a seriously Flawed and unfun (over 50) game.

If SOE put some love into it it would be great; but they don't and it wont.

Again not to flame but I can list a thousand other games which are less flawed and more fun and just because you verg the voting boards here doesn't mean that it is a good game...

• NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743

I agree.  No point in bashing EQ2 if you think another game is better.  Just because the developement team treats your game as the red headed step child of their products.

I enjoy VG.  It is fun again with the group of players that are in the After Hours group.  Everyone is currently around the mid teens or so and having fun with the game.  This is the way it should be.

I would like to see more players come in and give it a try.  Who cares if it is not going to have an expansion in the next so many months.  There is plenty to do out there now.  So much most players do not even see the vast majority of it.

You can solo in this game pretty much until you hit the mid 20's or so.  Then MOST ( not all ) of the questing at your level will need some help.  Of course you can always do some harvesting, crqafting or politics during this time.  The political part is a mini card game that takes some getting used too.  However, there are some really interesting sotry lines on this.  My favorite one being the Dark Elf line of quests.  You truly get to see some back stabbing done on that!!!!

I know another player has posted this but, this is one game where I actually have a massive amount of hotbars and abilities on my screen that I actually use!  Not just a row or two that keep getting updated to version 1 or 2 or are chains for a first attack.  You get a lot of utility and situational abilities that can / will / need to be used in almost all every day game play.  I like this.  It makes you really feel epic.

The bards have songs that you BUILD.  Obviously they tend to boil down into 3-4 flavors of songs but, you can make custom songs based upon solo or group maekup.  You may choose to drop melee output damage in favor of mana boosts if your group consists of more casting types.  So forth and so on.  Nice little change from the norm of just having some buffs that you "Play".

The classes are interesting with some unique ones like Blood Mage ( think casting healer unlike melee healer ) and Disciple ( a martial arts healer that heals when chained attacks are performed ). 

Druids feel like you would expect a druid to feel, shamans feel like shamans and not some cleric alternative based upon the race / faction / good / evil type of character you are playing.

Once you get used to the group action and combat you can then take it to the next level by paying attention to the weaknesses your group mates are placing on the mobs.  You can take advantage of these for more damage and other buffs / debuffs. 

It really is amazing this game is not more popular other than word of mouth bad rep it has.  It is not perfect but, it has way more depth to it than most games out right now.  IMO it is the antithesis of WoW and any other recently launched MMO.

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

• shaunathanshaunathan Member Posts: 73

Originally posted by Edli

Beating a 6 years old game is not such a great feat.

If that is so then how come EQ2 can't defeat EVE?  C'mon EQ2!! it's EASY!! This guy is an expert!!

• rvjones10rvjones10 Member UncommonPosts: 100

I agree 100%.  If Vanguard got the love and attention from SOE that EQ2 does it would be better  without question. The fact is this game is neglected by SOE  and still manages to sit on top of the fantasy genre. I don't currently play Vanguard but played from launch on and off for 2+ years. Much improved! My guild was people from EQ2 that moved on and had no interest in going back.  I tried EQ2 myself  but it seemed outdated and it never grabbed my interest. I have tried quite a few games since and with all the garbage mmo's out there the door is open for Vanguard to make a comeback. SOE needs to wake up.

• KhorsKhors Member Posts: 147

Vanguard is a has-been game; dated beyond its glory.  It will not see any attention, other than to continue the oxygen feed as a small source of income for soe as they use the change to buy guys coffee that are working on, what they might think to be, more worthwhile projects.

But if ya want to cheer for the "special" kid as he's hobbling around the track, kudos.