Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dead Zones

raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237

I've been back for like a week now. And save the "newbie" areas when you create a character, a few of the cities, and Dalaran.. the rest of the game is like entirely empty. 

I've seen only a handful of people over the past week.

Seems awful odd for the most populated game in existence.

www.facebook.com/themarksmovierules

Currently playing:

FFXIV on Behemoth, FFXI on Eden, and Gloria Victis on NA. 

Comments

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

It's pretty much like that for any mature game. When the xpac comes you'll get some more activity in the leveling zones.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

this game has been arround for 6 years. 98% of people have many characters at level 80 and are really not interested in levelling one more alts. on top of that with the newly implemented "random dungoen" button you dont need to quest or travel anymore. wile questing is still faster xp almost everyone now just sitts in a city and ques up for random dungeons/bg. this is true for level 80s as well as anyone still levelling.

the random button has completely removed any need of travelling throughout the world. not only the old "newbe" zones but even the end game ones. even Nothrand is empty except for the odd gatherer and hard core "daily quests" lovers.

pretty much everyone (level 80 or not) just sitts in a city and ques up for randoms. Winter Grasp is got to be the only other zone that every 2 hours gets some action. everything else is pretty much totaly empty.

this is a very sad state of the game imo. hopefully Cata will force people to travel again, but untill then you will have to play by youself or use the LFG button to see other players.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

When the new expansion comes out that will all change.

• raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237

until everyone is 80 again.

Currently playing:

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Originally posted by raystantz

I've been back for like a week now. And save the "newbie" areas when you create a character, a few of the cities, and Dalaran.. the rest of the game is like entirely empty. 

I've seen only a handful of people over the past week.

Seems awful odd for the most populated game in existence.

Just a suggestion,

You can use the social tab, click on "who" and type in any level you would like to get population figures from 1-10, 11-20, 80.  I'm sure you already know about the Who pannal just a reminder.

I thought the game was dead on my server until someone told me their is only 16% Alliance, and all Horde.  So don't play the Alliance if you would like to play with people.

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

this game has been arround for 6 years. 98% of people have many characters at level 80 and are really not interested in levelling one more alts. on top of that with the newly implemented "random dungoen" button you dont need to quest or travel anymore. wile questing is still faster xp almost everyone now just sitts in a city and ques up for random dungeons/bg. this is true for level 80s as well as anyone still levelling.

the random button has completely removed any need of travelling throughout the world. not only the old "newbe" zones but even the end game ones. even Nothrand is empty except for the odd gatherer and hard core "daily quests" lovers.

pretty much everyone (level 80 or not) just sitts in a city and ques up for randoms. Winter Grasp is got to be the only other zone that every 2 hours gets some action. everything else is pretty much totaly empty.

this is a very sad state of the game imo. hopefully Cata will force people to travel again, but untill then you will have to play by youself or use the LFG button to see other players.

Agreed, I lost all interest in WoW personally when I heard of the new dungeon system. Theres no way I'd pay $15 a month on a MMO to sit around in a city waiting on ques...I honestly don't know how you all can stand it lol. To each their own I suppose, goes to show the state that MMOs are in these days. Personally I have 0 interest in any MMO resembling WoW in any way. We're about due for a change and the MMO I'm playing now is exactly that.

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

95% of the active players are maximum level, and out of these, 90% are in instanced areas - raids, dungeons, battlegrounds and arenas.

Oh yeah, and out of the 5% not in maximum level, they're probably leveling through battlegrounds or instanced dungeons (LFG system).

And yeah these percentages are not exact, but they probably aren't too far from the real ones - meaningful PvP (as in rewarding) is instanced gameplay-only, same goes for good gear. 

• selobthegodselobthegod Member Posts: 155

Originally posted by Ethian

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

Agreed, I lost all interest in WoW personally when I heard of the new dungeon system. Theres no way I'd pay $15 a month on a MMO to sit around in a city waiting on ques...I honestly don't know how you all can stand it lol. To each their own I suppose, goes to show the state that MMOs are in these days. Personally I have 0 interest in any MMO resembling WoW in any way. We're about due for a change and the MMO I'm playing now is exactly that.

Would u mind telling us which one it is?

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

Originally posted by Ethian
     Agreed, I lost all interest in WoW personally when I heard of the new dungeon system. Theres no way I'd pay $15 a month on a MMO to sit around in a city waiting on ques...I honestly don't know how you all can stand it lol.

Why would you just sit around in a city waiting on queues if you don't want to? Just because a system is there doesn't mean you have to use it??

As for empty zones, well i would have to agree that it can seem like that especially on established servers, as most people on them levelling have streamlined their levelling to such a degree that they spend very little time in each zone as they go.

Your best bet is to look at the recommended or newer servers. Do some investigation into how the servers are weighted in terms of alliance vs Horde as two of mine are alliance weighted which is great for me as an alliance player, but slow and expensive to raise a horde char.

Good luck and enjoy.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

I'm on Velen, it is recommeneded for new players.

I did the /who command many times. I was the only player on ally side in most of the zones I was in. Had no problems getting groups for any dungeons I wanted to run via dungeon finder though..

that pretty much told me that everyone is sitting in Dal or in an instance of some kind.

NO thanks.

Currently playing:

• selobthegodselobthegod Member Posts: 155

Well few weeks ago , i returned to wow after a year or so , created a new toon to lvl (Eu Sylvanas server)with my friend through the recruit a friend program . I wouldn't say lvling areas are totally empty , but i can't say the same amount of people is running around as a year ago . Still i would totally recommend WoW , it's still a great experience every gamer should have .

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134

It's the same way on my server, a very high pop server I'll add. WoW is pretty much top heavy now.

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

I did the /who command many times. I was the only player on ally side in most of the zones I was in.

From what i read, Velen is a (slightly) Horde weighted server anyway, but only by a few percent and most active between late afternoon to early evening. It is also a fairly mature server as it was added back with the release of BC, so again most of those levelling will be Alts by now.

You will have a hard time finding a high, low level population but with a little research through something like WoWWiki or similar you may find a more suitable server for yourself. Servers like Borean Tundra and Wyrmrest Accord are much newer, but i wouldn't know first hand about the populations there.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

I did the /who command many times. I was the only player on ally side in most of the zones I was in. Had no problems getting groups for any dungeons I wanted to run via dungeon finder though..

that pretty much told me that everyone is sitting in Dal or in an instance of some kind.

NO thanks.

You have options to level

1. questing/soloing

2.  Dungeon finder

3. Battlegrounds

So what you are saying is that you want to level by soloing, but you are upset that you can't find more people to solo with?

One more thing to think about.  Experienced players aren't going to reroll and alt now, most of us are waiting for the expansion to reroll a bunch of them.  I know I am going to be leveling a Worgen Druid and a Goblin mage and see all the new leveling zones(changes).

I don't really see what your problem is.  If you want to quest, you don't need anyone else.  If you want to group, you now have a great tool so you can actually do low level dungeons. Before the dungeon finder and cross-server grouping, it was almost impossible to do the lower level dungeons, now you can level from 10-80 doing nothing but dungeons.

Darn you Blizzard for letting solo players level and group players level.

No, the problem is... 

The whole reason I play MMO's is to interact with other players. Whether that is by grouping, fighting against, chatting with or simply passing by them on my journey.

The fact is the world just feels dead without people out and about in it, whether or not I'm actively doing things like instances with them or not. Solo or not.. its still part of the fun of the game seeing other people out and about.. but because of dungeon finder I'd have to go to dalaran if I wanted to see anyone.

Currently playing:

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Themeparks become top heavy after about 6 months.

WoW is what six years old?

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

No, the problem is... 

The whole reason I play MMO's is to interact with other players. Whether that is by grouping, fighting against, chatting with or simply passing by them on my journey.

The fact is the world just feels dead without people out and about in it, whether or not I'm actively doing things like instances with them or not. Solo or not.. its still part of the fun of the game seeing other people out and about.. but because of dungeon finder I'd have to go to dalaran if I wanted to see anyone.

I agree with you 100% Raystantz.

I pay to see and / or play with people, I aways found it hard to really find strangers and quest with them all day unless we both have Ventrilo ( voice chat )......BUT...... It's nice to see people, find them on the same quest chain then play with them, or just chat in small towns.....That is how I add friends to my friends list, this time around I have no new friends on my list. First time ever !

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

OP - return when cataclsym hits, a large percentage of players will be rerolling to see the new 1-60 with their new class/race combos and two new races.  You also wont need to buy cataclsym to see the new 1-60 unless you want to play the two new races.  Players wont be sitting using the LFG dungeon finder as they will want to be out in the world picking up the 1000's of new quests and seeing the revamped zones.

Cataclsym will have the low level zones heaving with players, world pvp will spring to life and it will almost be like launch day all over again.... I cannot wait.

• AnteNachtAnteNacht Member Posts: 17

WoW is a good game and like all good games they reach there peak, at the moment WoW is trying to maintaina  peak performace by emplementing items and engines that allow more people to play cross world rather than in there own back yard, 60-80% of the people you will play with rather in a random dungeon or BG will be from some other server, its like being in america and going to Europe to hang out with total strangers for the duration.

WoW  is becoming more and more top heavy and as it grows the lower levels seem to be slower so much that unless you know or can find people your level you will not have that great of a leveling experience. I believe you shouldn't have to wait for an expansion to explore the content that has been there for 6 or more years but, perhaps thats just me.

Russian Reapers: Unseen, Unheard, Untouchable

Taking over San Paro to day, see you there.

• GarfunkelGarfunkel Member UncommonPosts: 224

All MMO games go top heavy after they have been out a while so expect the levelling zones to be a tad quieter than you remember them.

The other thinsg is since they brought in the random dungeon finder it's possible to basically sit in your capital city and just run instaced dungeons all day. Or do the same with BG's.

You should see an influx or re-rollers come Cataclysm when the two new races become available. I think every man and his dog will be rolling one or the other.

• tanoriltanoril Member Posts: 432

All games go through this.  Last I checked WoW and the original 1-60 content was 6 yrs old.  That's supposed to be the whole point of Cataclysm, to revisit the old world.  How many of Everquest's 150+ zones are populated?  How many were populated even before WoW launched? (answer: not a whole lot).