Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Massive Singleplayer Online RPG

13»

Comments

• DaywolfDaywolf Member Posts: 749

Originally posted by zohnny

someone said it would be a waste to pay for expansions and content in a single player online game.

No, we pay for server cost. Though with instancing that server cost is more so pocketed now. We pay for content through expansions, apart from player devised content. How do you pay for content on a monthly bases AND pay for content on an expansion basis? That is more a marketing scheme to get your cash, like having a sub and an item shop. So basically, pay for base release box, pay a sub, pay for expansions, pay a item shop, play solo.

can you imagine 1000's of players running by you or being afk right next to the door you are trying to stealth at and picklock? it couldnt happen. plus 1000's of people standing at the same door trying to pick it. lame. that all would call for instancing which would so take away from the immersion.

Imagine what? Sandbox mmo games have been doing that for over a decade, in practice it does not happen. I could imagine, but we could imagine anything, I could imagine gum drops raining from the clouds, and rivers of chocolate syrup flowing to the ice cream seas. But last I checked, the sea was still salt water with globs of oil, the rivers were from sewage lines and my hair turned green when it started to rain hehe.

M59, UO, EQ1, WWIIOL, PS, EnB, SL, SWG. MoM, EQ2, AO, SB, CoH, LOTRO, WoW, DDO+ f2p's, Demo’s & indie alpha's.

• zohnnyzohnny Member UncommonPosts: 45

yes you are completely missing something

• pureckjpureckj Member Posts: 28

On another game forum, I heard a rumor that Elder scroll may morph into a MMORPG. Oblivion was fun on pc but I prefer Elder Scroll III Marrowind.

Bring back Vanilla WoW pvp

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Aren't all MMO's for the most part single player now? I mean most games you can hit max lvl without ever hitting a group up EVER.

If anything I would like to see forcd grouping back. Not something where you're sitting around waiting for 2 hours for a specific class to join your team, but if it's something how the way WoW has it now where classes are entirely interchangable, then it would be gerat.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

"Massive Singleplayer Online RPG"

It's called Star Wars: The Old Republic.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

some people just dont get it. they are so hooked on including the "multiplayer" part of an online game. i was just using oblivion as a basis for what idea i had. imagine a full blown mmo game minus the multiplayer part.

To be honest, the best part of an online game is the multiplayer part. However, instead of making the game a full-blown mmo space, you would have the option for multiplayer. Many of the ideas tossed in this very thread ranged from a single player experience where you could invite other people into your world to multiplayer like Demon Souls is for the PS3. Where you are able to have interaction with other players with notes left by other players that you can read, and summon someone to your world for help.

I am actually all for the idea of a single player game that is run and supported similarly to a mmo, but for me the option for multiplayer has to be there, even on a smallish scale.

• NytakitoNytakito Member Posts: 381

OK so I did read the OP, but I guess I'm a tad confused...

What exactly would be the difference then between a Massive Singleplayer Online RPG and a standard play at home single player, non-online RPG??? 

What benefit would the 'Online' aspect bring to the game?  All the features you ask for can very easilly be programmed into a single player RPG.. 

Maybe I missed a key point in your post or something.. I'll have to read it again...

"If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse." - Henry Ford

Originally posted by Nytakito

OK so I did read the OP, but I guess I'm a tad confused...

What exactly would be the difference then between a Massive Singleplayer Online RPG and a standard play at home single player, non-online RPG??? 

What benefit would the 'Online' aspect bring to the game?  All the features you ask for can very easilly be programmed into a single player RPG.. 

Maybe I missed a key point in your post or something.. I'll have to read it again...

Try making a singleplayer game with an mmo-sized world, got 200gb+ of hardrive space for one game available?

In other words, a singleplayer game with the majority of the world hosted online.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

I've been really disappointed with Oblivion for not having any more expansions...  It would be a great game to just keep building on top of over and over, in my opinion.

The only single player game that I've seen good updates for is the Sims series.  The Sims 2 had sooooo many expansions and item packs etc and it lasted for years and years until the Sims 3 was released, and they are continuing the tradition with regular expansions for it.  It really keeps things fresh and makes a single player game worth while to play because you don't feel like your time is totally down the toilet when you know the world will continue to grow in the future.  Its like the difference between a dead end street and a through way.  I know..  All games are something of a waste of time, especially single player ones, but having the knowledge of future expansions can really keep me excited and is part of the reason I like MMOs.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

The only problem with a single-player game that goes online, especially one like oblivion, is the consistancy of items around the world. In Oblivion there are only so many items in every chest, etc, and they do not respawn. Some are important, and once they are gone, they are gone for good. If those items were takne by your buddy during a multiplayer game you are S.O.L..

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

Originally posted by GTwander

The only problem with a single-player game that goes online, especially one like oblivion, is the consistancy of items around the world. In Oblivion there are only so many items in every chest, etc, and they do not respawn. Some are important, and once they are gone, they are gone for good. If those items were takne by your buddy during a multiplayer game you are S.O.L..

You have one server cluster supporting the singleplayer world, you have another supporting the multiplayer world. They never need to interact.

You'd have a regular "savegame" type file for your singleplayer game, and the multiplayer server would keep track of your multiplayer game just like the servers do for mmos now.

But regarding the topic of this thread, those concerns do not matter as there would not be a multiplayer component.