Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DC Universe Online: November Release Date Announced

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

IGN's got the word on a release date for DC Universe online, the superheroic MMOG based on the DC Comics IP being developed by Sony Online Entertainment.

IGN was on hand for a preview event which gave an early demo of the build that is set to be shown at E3 in Los Angeles in a couple of weeks, what they weren't expecting though, was to find out the game's release date, which is officialy set for November 2010.

Be sure to have your tights ironed by this November, as the cities of Metropolis and Gotham await your arrival!

DC Universe Online is set to release simultaneously on the PC and PS3, and you can find additional information at the game's official website here.

Comments

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848

Wow, we get little to nothing on it since it was announced and suddenly its releasing in 5 months?!

Based on prior releases and my feelings I think it will be delayed a month or 2 and the PS3 version will be delayed even further.

Hopefully theres a lot of information at E3, I am very interested but a bit worried.

• NytakitoNytakito Member Posts: 381

Hype kills MMO's, I'm glad companies are starting to keep things more under-the-covers.. as it should be.

"If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse." - Henry Ford

• describabledescribable Member UncommonPosts: 407

there's been loads of information and videos on it... even the PS3 store has a few dev videos etc

but yeah 3-4 months all has been quiet, still plenty of info around that isn't hard to track down.

I may just a void it, considering the size of Power Girl's .. err... round eyes... i'm pretty sure they'll be a lot of round eyes in the game, and therefore a lot of 12-14 year olds.

i remember watching Superman/Batman: Public Enemies with my neice, WoW did they draw those "eyes" big... at one stage she even punched this jap boy (toy master).. because he used x-ray glasses on her.

It's a "meh" game for me... pretty sure it's not even sub based.. so there's a put off right there (SoE is my 2nd put off):

"When asked whether the game would require a monthly subscription to play, or free to play, Sony's Wes Yanagi suggested that the game may implement a non-traditional or hybrid business model although such matters haven't yet been revealed by Sony Online Entertainment"

"nothing actually matters, we're just slightly evolved monkeys clinging to a dying piece of rock hurtling through space waiting for our eventual death." - Frankie Boyle, Mock The Week

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Originally posted by describable

I may just a void it, considering the size of Power Girl's .. err... round eyes... i'm pretty sure they'll be a lot of round eyes in the game, and therefore a lot of 12-14 year olds.

If they made them smaller, the purists would cry foul for not staying close to the source material. That's just how they are (the eyes, i mean).

Personally, I'm really looking forward to this one. Hope it doesn't suck.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

I'm excited about this game... just a few months away though and theres much we don't know about it.   I was never a big fan of DC but I will definitely be playing this game on my PS3.

• teddy_bareteddy_bare Member UncommonPosts: 398

It's going to be a subscription game...the "Hybrid" model mentioned is what SoE has implemented in all of their other MMO's. Meaning it will have a monthly subscription, in addition to a "Marketplace" that sells fluff items, very limited duration XP pots, as well as account admin features such as server transfers, name changes, and such. As long as it stays close to what they do in other games and not sell "game impacting" stuff such as gear w/ stats and what-not, it's all good imo.

I'm willing to give this a shot, I enjoyed CoX, and currently have a sub to CO which I find entertaining, but don't see myself sticking w/ it for an extended period, so as long as it's not an exact clone of these other super hero MMO's I will be happy.

• JamionJamion Member UncommonPosts: 59

Is there an  active beta for this? I never saw a signup for it.  Hopefully there will be a way to get in on the tail end.  I know I tested Champions Online I would like to test this game as well.

• describabledescribable Member UncommonPosts: 407

Originally posted by teddyboy420

It's going to be a subscription game...the "Hybrid" model mentioned is what SoE has implemented in all of their other MMO's. .

oh right, is that what they meant.. i wish they would just say that, they were bouncing around the question without actually telling people straight (i figured free to play with paying for expansions/packs and more extras than you can sink cryptics ship with)....

i'll probably get it for the PS3, mostly because an MMO on one my consoles wouldn't be a bad thing (and i just have to pay the Sub, not the sub and xbox live gold lol)

shame about CO, which was originally Marvel Online before Microsoft withdrew or something (they have a habit of doing this remember TLFO for the original xbox).... now  CO does feel like it was MADE for the 360 (play it with one of the 360 controllers for the PC and you'll feel at home)

"nothing actually matters, we're just slightly evolved monkeys clinging to a dying piece of rock hurtling through space waiting for our eventual death." - Frankie Boyle, Mock The Week

• KorithianKorithian Member Posts: 243

Now personally this isn't my sort of game. I get the feeling its going to play a lot like STO where you have to main options smash A or Kick B and then the use of some super powers. But i can see the appeal even as a small fan of the DC comics to what it would be like to patrol the streets of Gothem.  So who knows depending on what I hear from the beta testers and articles I might have to give it ago.

Just wish the graphics were a little sharper.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by describable

Originally posted by teddyboy420

It's going to be a subscription game...the "Hybrid" model mentioned is what SoE has implemented in all of their other MMO's. .

oh right, is that what they meant.. i wish they would just say that, they were bouncing around the question without actually telling people straight (i figured free to play with paying for expansions/packs and more extras than you can sink cryptics ship with)....

i'll probably get it for the PS3, mostly because an MMO on one my consoles wouldn't be a bad thing (and i just have to pay the Sub, not the sub and xbox live gold lol)

shame about CO, which was originally Marvel Online before Microsoft withdrew or something (they have a habit of doing this remember TLFO for the original xbox).... now  CO does feel like it was MADE for the 360 (play it with one of the 360 controllers for the PC and you'll feel at home)

I was under the assumption it was a B2P game.  You buy the game and you play for free without a monthly subscription.

http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=16863

http://www.onelastcontinue.com/10953/gamescom-2009-dc-universe-online-impressions/

" we were given a very strong impression that they are leaning towards the expansion-pack business model, as opposed to the traditional subscription fee although such matters hadn’t been solidified at that pointover at Sony Online Entertainment"

They haven't confirmed the monthly subscription as far as I've heard, but I haven't been following this game very closely.  If anyone has more updated information please post.

• FraxtureFraxture Member UncommonPosts: 121

Originally posted by Xiaoki

Wow, we get little to nothing on it since it was announced and suddenly its releasing in 5 months?!

Based on prior releases and my feelings I think it will be delayed a month or 2 and the PS3 version will be delayed even further.

Hopefully theres a lot of information at E3, I am very interested but a bit worried.

I have been following them on Facebook and there has been a ton of information and updates. You're just not looking in the correct place.

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

Originally posted by Nytakito

Hype kills MMO's, I'm glad companies are starting to keep things more under-the-covers.. as it should be.

Exactly. So many companies/developers use the Hype+More Hype+Add even more Hype= to much hype = a lot of people let down by they hype it self. One of the reasons Im following DC is the lack of Hyping it. Means they know they got a good thing going,from the info released thus far I think it will be a real fun game, pick up where CoH left off (Still A good game dont get me wrong) with more Physics added will only= more of that super hero feeling cant wait to toss a car at some one or play baseball with a humanoid ice cube.

• JYCowboyJYCowboy Member UncommonPosts: 652

I will try it but not sure if I will be devoted.  I am a DC comics reader and love thier characters but I just don't know if I can be a dedicated player of this.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Either it gets delayed or you will be looking at another unfinished game.  Since it is SOE, you can almost count on another unfinished game.

• MeromorphMeromorph Member Posts: 75

A few months ago I thought I would buy DCUO for sure, that it would be at least worth a month of play as a DC fan, since I have also had fun in City of Heroes and more recently Champions Online.  

But as more information has come out, I can't really picture myself playing it.   The two things that crushed me are launching with only two zones that are both cities, and that you can't combine power concepts like Fire and Ice.  That is crushing, even City of Heroes gave you the freedom to pick two powertypes (e.g. martial arts and electric, etc), and of course Champions allows any combination (including actually making Superman ffs, superstrength + eyebeams + invulnerability + frost breath, etc).  

If the PvP gameplay is good, I might check it out, although being pidgeonholed into a single set like Fire might just be intolerable. 

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

I am betting they are rushing it to launch because of the same reason MO is rushing their also. They are probably over-budget at this point in development and are out of funding so they are launching in hopes that they can snag some subscribers to keep them from sinking. All mmo companies should be transparent from day one in development and build their fanbase a long the process, not go silent for months at a time then suddenly push to launch and expect gamers to accept it as finished.

• OyjordOyjord Member UncommonPosts: 568

Subscription + Cash Shop=fail

Also on console=fail

SOE=fail

DC=fail

Long live Marvel!

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

I hope this doesnt suck either. With everything coming out and being garbage lately, I think we could all use something refreshing. In a way though, I'm glad I'm not the only one that can deal with settling for crappy MMOs. It seemed like that for the past 3 years.

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

Well I agree on a few points here, I dont think games should be announced 4 years in advance, they seem to lose their steam, and yes i can probably see this game being delayed some.

But Either way I might keep an eye on it and hope it turns out to be good, but with so many AAA titles comming soon be hard to tell if one will have time for this.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

I'm just wondering what they've learned from the release of Champions Online.

Either

A) Make a decent game, and they don't have to worry about the competition afterall.

B) You can release an awful superhero MMO, and still make good money.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• GreenLanternFanGreenLanternFan Member Posts: 374

I love how people find reason to bitch over just about anything. People, this game has been 'cooking' for quite some time now. Those of us that have honestly been following this game, don't feel like it has been rushed (at least I don't) and that's a good thing.

I have more faith in this dev team than I have had in any other, to date. Remember SOE is publishing, but it's DCs team that's designing it.

Your fail comment, failed.

• knyghttearerknyghttearer Member Posts: 124

i agree.. this game has come along nicely.. just because it just popped up on your radar, doesn't mean they just started working on it. Do your homework

• HathiHathi Member Posts: 236

How will this game stand out from the other super hero MMOs

Finally - Best site for Chuck Norris
    http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com/

• gt4980bgt4980b Member Posts: 112

Originally posted by Meromorph

But as more information has come out, I can't really picture myself playing it.   The two things that crushed me are launching with only two zones that are both cities, and that you can't combine power concepts like Fire and Ice.  That is crushing, even City of Heroes gave you the freedom to pick two powertypes (e.g. martial arts and electric, etc), and of course Champions allows any combination (including actually making Superman ffs, superstrength + eyebeams + invulnerability + frost breath, etc).  

You just told sony to copy two games that struggled with character balance at release and lost most of its subscribers due to those balance problems...anyway on to your satements...

Okay, as far as the two cities goes....Those will be the main hubs for all the gameplay.  Inside those cities will be many small and large instanced maps/dungeons.  Those cities will be very large vertically and horizontally.  The cities will be very detailed with many landmarks and POI's.  Lots of public quests and dynamic events. There will also be other locations that are not as large outside the cities...these will be additional open world zones/dungeons and closed instances.  On top of that there will be the main two bases...watchtower and the (I can't remember the name) legion of doom HQ.  Those will be fairly large, also.  Inside that you will find more gateways to instances.   And on top of all this, the DC characters will be live and moving throughout the world with you.  You may see Superman over on 5th street fighting Lex and you can jump in.  Or Killer Frost duking it out with Flash.  Or you may be PvPing a player villain trying to rob a bank only to have Black Adam swoop in and beat your both down and fly off with the money.(Yes this can happen).  So you have two cities but the game is deeper than "2 cities". 

As far as the powers....The devs said you can make a character just like superman so something is in there to allow you to have a slight mixture of powers.  Really, in COH and CO you mostly mix powers to fill gaps.  This is the product of bad design...not RP design.  In DCUO you're able to use Control, DPS or Defensive powers regardless of what bucket you choose.  So we should be good on this front too.

But anyways...I'm fired up for the game.  I like SOE games so I am looking forward to some fun.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

When will companies actually do research before handing thier IP / game / first born over to SOE.  If I was a company and saw that there was a large group of people that won't play a game because it's just that company, there's no way I would ever team up with them or let them use my IP...I guess that just makes too much sense lol.