Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

replacing a GPU fan

Gamer_17Gamer_17 Member Posts: 202

about 6 months ago i started hearing a louad noise, coming from i think my GPU fan, i turned down the graphic settings and it went away for a few weeks, and now even on the lowest settings it was still loud - its only when i play lord of the rings, or any other mmos/and some RTS like age of empires that this happens

wondering ways to replace this, im dont no a whole lot about replacing this or how much it wil cost, i am also buying a new laptop soon so would it just be cheaper to buy a laptop

my graphics card is a nividia geforce 8800GT

thanks for the help

Comments

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

A lot of video board manufacturers offered lifetime warranties, Id look into that to be honest.  Ive returned 3 different video boards from issues ranging from just plain dead to a rattling fan.  All 3 times the boards were several years old and were replaced within a week, no questions asked and 2 of them were upgraded to a more current board.

as far as replacing the fan, Youll need to find out how many pins the fan requires and then you'll be able to find replacements on newegg fairly cheap.  Most are fairly universal but you may want to match dimensions.  Ive heard some bad things about using certain thermal pastes that contain metal, so your basic thermal paste should work fine.

• Gamer_17Gamer_17 Member Posts: 202

Alright thanks - i bought hte computer threw dell should i contact nividia or dell?

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

If you're out of warranty through Dell they'll charge you $40 just to answer the phone, you might just want to look at replacement fans on Newegg they are like $10, or you can remove the fan from the heatsink and hit it with some silicon spray lubricant/WD40/oil then put it back on and see if that helps.

Ive been looking on newegg.ca and i was wondering if anyone has any imput on wether this will do the trick or not and also how difficult these things are to plug in as i am terrible with computers

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186016&Tpk=artic%20cooling%20accelero

- its the artic cooling accelero S1 rev. 2

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by Gamer_17

Ive been looking on newegg.ca and i was wondering if anyone has any imput on wether this will do the trick or not and also how difficult these things are to plug in as i am terrible with computers

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186016&Tpk=artic%20cooling%20accelero

- its the artic cooling accelero S1 rev. 2

FOr one thing, thats a passive cooler. No airflow of it's own. So unless you have real good airflow from the case fans going over it, i'd advise against it. Secondly, the size of that cooler is going to take up the slot next to the graphics card, so make sure you have room first.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

Alright thanks for the advice, any coolers that you think are better?

or simply just buy a new graphics card. I would perfer not too as im still in uni and it would be tough to get the money but if a gt8800 wont be able to handle games like sw:tor and ff14 then it might be better?

thanks for the help again