Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looks like Apple has some compitition...

BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Looks like the 'Pad' battle is heating up as Asus unveils the Eee Pad. The main difference is that the Eee Pad IS an actual computer and not just a glorified iPhone. I bet it will sell for less than the iPad when it hits production as well.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
{
beat();
}

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I doubt it will be very popular.  The iPad and this just aren't very practical.  I mean this ASUS uses a CULV design.  Good for power management, but poor for performance.  When it comes to use its much more limited.  Tablet PCs have been around for 6 years, these are remarkably unremarkable compared to Tegra based tablets.

• sephersepher Member Posts: 3,561

Sexy.

And yeah, it was inevitable the iPad would see challenges. It sold 2 million units in 2 months; people appreciate the form factor.

It seems all ASUS is doing though is moving components to the display and reducing the keyboard to an optional dock. Hopefully, that dockable keyboard comes WITH the pad. If that happens and becomes standard, the idea fo netbooks and notebooks needn't exist if the touch features of Windows 7 are going to be widespread leveraged against "pads".

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359

I refuse to buy anything from Apple as long as they keep their policies. I refuse to use itunes or any of their BS, because that is what it is. It isn't that I do not want to pay for my music, I own more cd's than anyone I know. It is the whole idea that they think they should tell me what I can and cannot put on a product I purchased, or where I should be able to use it. The idea they should have any say over  at all over what I do with anything I buy is what disturbs me about their policies.

The most ridiculous thing I have ever heard some idiot walking about with an  Apple product say is, " They are just jealous because they cannot afford one." ROFL -That is some brainwashed overhyped BS!! The reason people refuse to buy their crap is because it is crap compared to other products that let you do what you want with the product you purchased, afterall, it is yours and you do not want a built in babysitter telling you how you are supposed to use it.

It is absurd that you would have to hack their product in order to use it.. I  would just rather take my business elsewhere if that is the kind of crap they are going to peddle. I find it alarming actually that anyone would actually accept purchasing an item from them that has a built in babysitter..image

Originally posted by deviliscious

It is absurd that you would have to hack their product in order to use it.. I  would just rather take my business elsewhere if that is the kind of crap they are going to peddle. I find it alarming actually that anyone would actually accept purchasing an item from them that has a built in babysitter..image

Or, you could just buy Apple products for what they can do and are good for if its worth the money to you, and look elsewhere for other solutions you might need.

Not defending any ills you feel Apple products have, but you know, every device is closed off at one point or another. Except there are things like Lemote's Yeelong netbooks; but those don't seem to be in as much demand as an iPad.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Originally posted by sepher

Sexy.

And yeah, it was inevitable the iPad would see challenges. It sold 2 million units in 2 months; people appreciate the form factor.

It seems all ASUS is doing though is moving components to the display and reducing the keyboard to an optional dock. Hopefully, that dockable keyboard comes WITH the pad. If that happens and becomes standard, the idea fo netbooks and notebooks needn't exist if the touch features of Windows 7 are going to be widespread leveraged against "pads".

Well it's fully functional without the keyboard dock as Windows 7 Touch does have a pop up onscreen keyboard. The keyboard dock just makes it more like a netbook. I for one am glad that others are seeing what Apple has done with the iPad and are finally making Windows based devices that far exceed the iPad's functionality. Windows 7 really is the key to this as older Windows based pads were a disaster because of the poor intigration of touch features in Vista and older MS OSs.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

Originally posted by Brenelael

Well it's fully functional without the keboard dock as Windows 7 Touch does have a pop up onscreen keyboard. The keboard dock just makes it more like a netbook. I for one am glad that others are seeing what Apple has done with the iPad and are finally making Windows based devices that far exceed the iPad's functionality. Windows 7 really is the key to this as older Windows based pads were a disaster because of the poor intigration of touch features in Vista and older MS OSs.

Bren

Yeah, I agree. I just meant, a lot of people don't like "typing" on a screen just yet. Using a stylus as a replacement for a full QWERTY keyboard hasn't ever really been a popular option either.

The keyboard dock for iPad is a $90 dollar optional. It also isn't built with an open and shut laptop-esque clam design. It pretty much makes the iPad a stationary deal.

The dock shown for the Asus Eee Pad though is built with turning the pad into a netbook it looks like. So it'd be further awesome if it came standard and not as an expensive optional. A full QWERTY keyboard in every box isn't necessary, but it'd go a long way in being a competitive advantage against iPad.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Ill be completely honest with you folks. I own an Imac (not even 8 months old) and I don't really see the hype about apple stuff. Maybe I am missing something?

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359

Or, you could just buy Apple products for what they can do and are good for if its worth the money to you, and look elsewhere for other solutions you might need.

Not defending any ills you feel Apple products have, but you know, every device is closed off at one point or another. Except there are things like Lemote's Yeelong netbooks; but those don't seem to be in as much demand as an iPad.

Why would I buy products from a company that thinks they have the right to tell customers what to do with their products, when I can go buy a better product from someone else that allows the user to decide how to use it?

I do not think that is good customer service, nor worth endorsing by purchasing their products.  Purchasing anyones products is an endorsement of their policies. " demand" is created by advertising. LOLimage

Some are more easily ready to compromise their standards for hype than others. 

It isn't like Cnet is giving their endorsement. image

http://cnettv.cnet.com/face-iphone-sucks/9742-1_53-50072059.html

Why would I buy products from a company that thinks they have the right to tell customers what to do with their products, when I can go buy a better product from someone else that allows the user to decide how to use it?

I do not think that is good customer service, nor worth endorsing by purchasing their products.  Purchasing anyones products is an endorsement of their policies. " demand" is created by advertising. LOLimage

Some are more easily ready to compromise their standards for hype than others. 

It isn't like Cnet is giving their endorsement. image

http://cnettv.cnet.com/face-iphone-sucks/9742-1_53-50072059.html

It's all about where to draw the line if you have such gripes. My point was that the only 100% open, do-what-you-want mobile device is Lemote's Yeelong.

'sides that, its just small strokes of grey when it comes to differences between all of these devices and platforms. So it comes down to specifics of exactly what Apple is telling you to do with your device that Microsoft, Google, RIM, Nokia and etc. aren't, and why its a bad thing. 

Originally posted by Enigma

Ill be completely honest with you folks. I own an Imac (not even 8 months old) and I don't really see the hype about apple stuff. Maybe I am missing something?

Not sure if there's ever been a lot of hype around iMac. You of course have some designers that square by it because they've long since preferred the Leopard and Snow Leopard aesthetics over Windows. That's about it though. Apple's recent acclaim has resulted entirely from iPhone and iPad.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I agree, I really don't understand what the hype is about Apple.  I am in the design industry so their are the Graphic Designers who swear by it.  So many negatives and so few positives.  The only thing I can hand to them is ease of use, thats it.  They are expensive, poor quality, poor support, poor selection of components, underpowered components, a weak operating system, a highly vulnerable operating system, a closed app standard, and an expensive music service.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Yeah, I agree. I just meant, a lot of people don't like "typing" on a screen just yet. Using a stylus as a replacement for a full QWERTY keyboard hasn't ever really been a popular option either.

The keyboard dock for iPad is a $90 dollar optional. It also isn't built with an open and shut laptop-esque clam design. It pretty much makes the iPad a stationary deal.

The dock shown for the Asus Eee Pad though is built with turning the pad into a netbook it looks like. So it'd be further awesome if it came standard and not as an expensive optional. A full QWERTY keyboard in every box isn't necessary, but it'd go a long way in being a competitive advantage against iPad.

Ahhhh... I see what you were saying and I agree. We use older touch based devices where I work for inventory control and I have to admit that typing on the onscreen keyboard with a stylus isn't the grandest of experiences. I would never replace my high end laptop with one of these devices anyways as it just couldn't compare.

I am however very glad that in the near future people who do like these type of devices will have some real choices and I see the Windows 7 based devices edging out the iPad just because they will be a heck of a lot more versitile. They will run almost all Windows based apps that are already out there. There are literally billions of them. I don't see how Apple can compete with that. Of course the Apple fanatics will still swear by the iPad but they swear by anything Apple shits out no matter what it is.

Edit: Oh and one word that will make the Windows 7 based devices better than any similar Apple device... Adobe! image

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

I like ASUS, they make good products.  I'm glad to see Apple getting some competition.  Competition is good for the consumers, because it drives prices down and gets the companies working harder to make their product better.  However Apple is too big & popular to fall behind ASUS, but I'm still happy to see other companies copying the iPad/iPod idea.

The technology seems to constantly be moving towards smaller, lighter, and thinner tech products.  I say go for it.  Personally I still prefer a laptop, but these iPad designs have their uses.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO