Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many Alts do you have?

Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Simple question.

To keep the number reasonable lets say how many alts are above level 50 on your account.

I ask this because I truely believe that the worse the endgame a mmo has the more alts someone is going to have.

Im going to go in other mmo forums and ask the same question but i figured i would start with the ten ton gorilla.

Poll:

Playing: Rift, LotRO
Waiting on: GW2, BP

Comments

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

I am just curious about the logic behind your theory? I can see that you may be saying that because the end game is poor, people get bored with their characters too quickly and move on to alts, but the flipside is that people enjoy the end game so much that they want to approach it from different angles with different types of characters.

Can you please expand on your viewpoint?

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• DreathorDreathor Member Posts: 537

I have three level 80 alts, and a 50+ of all the other classes.

I just enjoy playing all the classes and exploring their mechanics, you know that sort of thing, especially in PvP. Not because the end-game is bad or anything like that.

The ones that made it to 80 were for PvP purposes only - I thoroughly enjoyed playing different classes in arena with my friends (we had something like 5 teams between us) back when I played a lot. I didn't enjoy doing the raids I do on my main on all of my alts as well - that really bores me.

Edit: to quote Jason

people enjoy the end game so much that they want to approach it from different angles with different types of characters.
    I think that sums it up.

"If all you can say is... "It's awful, it's not innovative, it's ugly, it's blah.." Then you're an unimaginative and unpolished excuse for human life" -eburn

• bobbadudbobbadud Member Posts: 268

What do you do with dual class or multi class designs in MMo's? Any druid or paladin in need for healing.dps.tank gear is ... 3 alts ?

What do you do with multi goal classes? Rogues for PvP on PvP servers and Rogues for Raid content ?

What do you do with faction experience? A game with multiple factions = complete new worlds to discover (if well designed).

So in your "study", MMo's with multi offered and different content will have much more alts or less alts?

What do you do with the MMo's age? The less time one plays, the fewer alts (so worse end game ???).

While you already concluded that more alts means less interesting play...while I could think it is more gaming fun.

Odd, we arrive at opposite conclusions. Meaning the "result of the study" can be interpreted the way you want it to be....

It’s embarrassing when an NPC compliments you in an MMo, the only relevant, cool and epic things come from players whispering you “Grtz, mate, we did it”. copyright Pilnkplonk

• CavallCavall Member Posts: 272

Sorry..but can't resist...incoming bad DBZ joke.

"Vegeta, what's the scouter say about his alt level?!"

"Its OVER NINE!!!"

....yeah, that sucked.

• DreathorDreathor Member Posts: 537

Originally posted by Cavall
    Sorry..but can't resist...incoming bad DBZ joke.
    "Vegeta, what's the scouter say about his alt level?!"
    "Its OVER NINE!!!"

....yeah, that sucked.

I tried to laugh, but I couldn't. Sorry, I really tried!

"If all you can say is... "It's awful, it's not innovative, it's ugly, it's blah.." Then you're an unimaginative and unpolished excuse for human life" -eburn

• pye088jpye088j Member Posts: 228

Maybe this woud make abit more sense when combined with "how many months have you played wow". Multiple 50´s in a small amount of time could prove your point or am I way off here?

All statements I make is from my point of view unless stated otherwise.

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822

I'm not sure If it translates to poor end game or not. I personally have gotten every class over 70 and most to 80. Ive rolled multiple locks and mages to 80. I used to roll new characters for various reasons like having a healer for the guild runs, or a tank for guild runs, maybe a flavor of the month class for pvp or pve, and last but not least  ... being self sufficeinet in terms of proffessions.

The fact that any player with a little knowledge of the game, especially someone who has hit 80 ... leveling an alt should take little to no time at all. Depending on how much I play, 2 weeks to hit 80 is not hard to do .... and yes I work 40+ hours a week. 3 weeks to a month can easily be done and will put you in full epics. So while alts could translate to poor end game , it could just be the ease of leveling an alt to max that has more to do with it. Why not roll a tank or healer to 80 If it only takes a few weeks?

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

One poster brought up a good point.

That maybe people like the endgame so much they continually level new classes to experience it in a different way.

While I would love to believe that from my experience people create more and more alts because they get bored of their original characters at endgame.

Obviously this is my experience and im sure other people will disagree.

Im also in the process of putting a couple of these threads in other mmo forums.

What im hoping to do is kinda put on a scale who has the better endgame.

Like im sure if I put this thread in WAR everyone and their mother would have over 10+ alts because WARs endgame is fail (imo of course).

Hopefully more people will vote in the poll then ill move onto other games.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• bobbadudbobbadud Member Posts: 268

@Rock: your end game is not my end game.

your avatars are not my avatars.

Meaning: if you think that Raiding and getting maxed out Tier 10 geared characters is the only end game of WOW, you could be wrong. Every player has another angle.

Besides what is your "maxed out" character these days? 1050 achievements, titles, Tier 10, Arena rankings, professions, gold ?

It’s embarrassing when an NPC compliments you in an MMo, the only relevant, cool and epic things come from players whispering you “Grtz, mate, we did it”. copyright Pilnkplonk

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

A couple things I would like to add

1.  You can easily level 6 characters from 1-60 without doing the same zones or quests twice.  There is a TON of content you miss if you don't roll alts.  Even when you get to BC and WotLK.. you can do 4 characters and never do the same quest twice.

2.  WOW's classes are very different from each other.  Again, if you want to experience 'the game', you need to have at least 1 of most classes.  In some cases, like druids, you can level moonkin and kitty and have very different experiences.

I have one of every class above 70 ( 10 horde).  I also have 2 alliance characters at 80.    None of them really get played at 80 except for my moonkin.

• nemo38nemo38 Member Posts: 143

You would make a great politician. All this poll shows is how many alts people have over level 50. Nothing more. Any assumptions otherwise is what they call "Spin" in the political field.

• DillingerEPDillingerEP Member UncommonPosts: 366

Originally posted by nemo38

You would make a great politician. All this poll shows is how many alts people have over level 50. Nothing more. Any assumptions otherwise is what they call "Spin" in the political field.

• GarfunkelGarfunkel Member UncommonPosts: 224

I have 6 toons over level 50, 4 of them at 80.

I wouldn't say that is a mark against the end-game, more a sign that the journey to get there is so good.

Although I would like to see a PvE end-game less dominated by gear score and achievements.