Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The real problem people have with Darkfall.

Comments

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by Realbigdeal

Originally posted by Cecropia

I check videos of darkfall pvp everydays and i can assure you that darkfall is not skill at all. There is a niche online game name Savage 2. Well, their combat system is perfect. If DF took from them instead, DF would take skills.

When i check pvp videos, what i see, players using the same strategy on each videos. They use sprint none stop. No need to worry about stamina since they can drink potions infinitly. They can even use a magic to remove mana to stamina if they want to. So no need to worry about sprint. Magic require no tactic at all. You simply charge a magic and spam that huge aoe. Its harder to miss an offensive magic because the aoe is really big. Archery might take a lil more skill to hit with, but even if you miss, the next arrow get charged up really fast so no worries. For the melee part, you better be kidding. The 1st thing you do once you go melee, whirlwind. You cant miss whirlwind. Then, you do a lil more melee attack with your 2 hand that have a huge radius on front. No one dare to even parry or block your melee attack because they will spam their melee attack too at the same time, making DF look like a button mashing type game.

When i play savage 2, it take more skills then that. Trust me on that. Using parry on melee, circle your opponent, its not that easy. Using scout with bow or cross bow, not easy to hit with. Specially with the bow because you have 3 sec to charge a bow string. Even if you have pots for stamina, you still have the charge ability that can make you run faster. If you run out of charge, you cannot use dodge and if you try to run away, your opponent can charge on you to kill you. All abilities in savage 2 are hard to succesfully hit with. Plus, you have few mana pool so you have to be sure that you wont miss your next magic. Last thing, you dont have huge aoe magic, so none of them are easy to hit with.

Real cool that you enjoy Savage 2 and find that it takes more skill to play than Darkfall. However this does not shove Darkfall into a category of games that require no skill, no matter how much you assure us.

Considering how lovely the DFO forums on this site (or any site for that matter) can be, can't you guys at least try and grab ahold of things to bitch about that are even worth thinking about.

Would an adult human being who had never seen a shoe be capable of putting on a pair and actually tie them up?

Yes, even putting on and tying up your shoes takes skill. Taking a great dump also takes skill ;)

Perhaps we can avoid statements like this in the future - "I check videos of darkfall pvp everydays and i can assure you that darkfall is not skill at all."

Then we could actually continue talking about the glorious grind and the fun of swimming your face off.

Your example of shoes are is really bad because it require no skills to do that. Only knowledge and nothing else. There is a different between knowledge and skills. For exemple, every one knoes how to roll a bicycle. Its the kind of thing you cant forget.

Skill is when you come to my place, face to face and you challenge me to the 1st guy who tie his shoes, but there is no rules meaning that i can simply try to beat you up or remove your shoes while i tie mines. Can you win in that case? Not if you have less skils on fighting, predicting and all kind of other stuff that resolve on fight. Tying chose is just the goal of the challenge,

Skill is a sequence of practiced actions. The more of it you have, the more effective you are.  Believe me, tying a knot does take skill(not much for the simple knots) but as they grow more complex, the skill level goes up fast.  Not everyone can ride a bike. That takes practice to gain the skill, and the more one practices the better one is. Normally speaking, once you have learned, you can pick it up again fast(even years later).

From what I've seen of DF combat, its heavy on the aoe spamming and sprinting. Combining those takes some experience and thus some skill.  But its not what I'd expect from such a combat system. But some people seem to enjoy it, which is all that matters. Different things for different people.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • caalemcaalem Member UncommonPosts: 289

the problem with darkfall is that it's made by some indie group no one has ever heard of with tons of bad reviews and no trial.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

Originally posted by caalem

the problem with darkfall is that it's made by some indie group no one has ever heard of with tons of bad reviews and no trial.

Eh.....200-300k players attempting to buy the game at launch....sure no one has ever heard of Aventurine. Bad reviews, I agree (except Ed Zitron), Trials, there was one which ended recently and there will be a new trial offer in the near future (most likely right after the June Patch).

So....you got 2/3 wrong....grats!

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Tying shoes requires skill.  Just because you read a book on how to do something, it doesn't mean you are now skilled at the execution of said action.  You must teach a child to tie their shoes by physically showing them.  You don't just ive them a manual to read.  Then there's the issue with them probably not knowing how to read at that age.. but I suppose that's not the point.

And my response to this post.  You could have stopped with "The problem with Darkfall is that it's made by some inde group".  They were the creator of the bad reviews and decided to only have limited trials.  Aventurine doesn't have the people in place with the skill and expertise required to make a game of exceptional quality.  Lack of a publisher and no financial support in other areas has hamstrung this company.  That, and obvious design flaws.  Though, the hardcore elite will never agree with that.  I just respond by pointing to their wallet.

• caalemcaalem Member UncommonPosts: 289

Originally posted by MadnessRealm

Eh.....200-300k players attempting to buy the game at launch....sure no one has ever heard of Aventurine. Bad reviews, I agree (except Ed Zitron), Trials, there was one which ended recently and there will be a new trial offer in the near future (most likely right after the June Patch).

yep, 200-300k players.

haha, keep believing that butthurt fanboy.

• FreddyNoNoseFreddyNoNose Member Posts: 1,558

Originally posted by zymurgeist

So you're saying the game is doomed to dwindle to the very few elite players and then die.

Sounds like a good reason not to get the game.  I guess the OP now has another reason why people won't play this game. 

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Hey what do ya know? That could be a problem.

Small correction though; up until recently AV actually had a trial period that has since ended. 

Has anyone on this site ever met anyone in RL that has heard of Darkfall? I ask sincerely. I was shocked when I met one at Best Buy a year ago while doing a small upgrade on my machine.

I know a lot of gamers, and I'm pressed to find any that know of this game.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

You know what's funny?  I have a friend who used to write gaming articles online for gamepro.  He had a few things published, also worked on some amatuer gaming sites.  I asked him to ask his super if he knew about Darkfall and if he could manage to get us a beta spot way back when.  Want to know what he said?  And keep in mind, maybe he was ignorant.. but I have to assume he knew something about games by being a lead video game columnist.

I've never even heard of Darkfall.  (Let alone Aventurine)

And let's be honest here.  200k and 300k is a fairly wide gap, which one is it?  They would have probably had well over 500k people attempting to buy the game if they didn't commit marketing suicide.  Don't ask me to show you how they did that, you can google it yourself.  So they may have retained as many as about 15k subscribers from that 200k-300k figure as you say.  Not a very good retention rate no matter how you slice it.. lol.

Originally posted by DAS1337

You know what's funny?  I have a friend who used to write gaming articles online for gamepro.  He had a few things published, also worked on some amatuer gaming sites.  I asked him to ask his super if he knew about Darkfall and if he could manage to get us a beta spot way back when.  Want to know what he said?  And keep in mind, maybe he was ignorant.. but I have to assume he knew something about games by being a lead video game columnist.

I've never even heard of Darkfall.  (Let alone Aventurine)

And let's be honest here.  200k and 300k is a fairly wide gap, which one is it?  They would have probably had well over 500k people attempting to buy the game if they didn't commit marketing suicide.  Don't ask me to show you how they did that, you can google it yourself.  So they may have retained as many as about 15k subscribers from that 200k-300k figure as you say.  Not a very good retention rate no matter how you slice it.. lol.

The main killer is that they were releasing limited amount of "copies" to reduce server load. (It was just impossible to reach the page, it was ridiculous). The whole site and forum would suffer from this too.

Then there was the Desynch issue which lasted for 3 days, the Queueing issue at Bind Stone, etc. It turned off a lot of players (and I'm not even talking about the carebears). And then 2-3 months later the subs started to drop, went back up a little with the June Expansion but the CtS Expansion brought a ton more subs, though most of them left or won't resub.

yep, 200-300k players.

haha, keep believing that butthurt fanboy.

I feel special. Today I've been called both a troll and a fanboy!

Aren't you the butthurt hater who just can't back up any claims and can only insult other forum members to attempt to make something that you may consider as "a point"? You may leave the forum, clearly it's not for you.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

I still dont think there is a review for Darkfall on IGN or Gamespot. image

Originally posted by Mannish

I still dont think there is a review for Darkfall on IGN or Gamespot. image

The Tasos vs. Ed Zitron/EuroGamer probably scared a lot of "professional" review website. EuroGamer's credibility was damaged and the recent issue with the AoC review also damaged them a lot more so.... :P

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

Small correction though; up until recently AV actually had a trial period that has since ended. 

Has anyone on this site ever met anyone in RL that has heard of Darkfall? I ask sincerely. I was shocked when I met one at Best Buy a year ago while doing a small upgrade on my machine.

All my friend gamers know about darkfall and they also know about the grind. This is why they dont play. I inform them of that. I prevent them from playing darkfall. I dont want to lose one of my friend because of the mess AV did there. Once they fix up the grind, il be back with these same gamer friends.

In the mean while, il keep focusing in real life since there is no other game that have my interest currently. I even lost weight. 20 lbs. Something wrong is happening. I even started to go to gym. Hell even girls are looking at me nowdays. Darkfall is my only hope, but that grind is what prevent me from playing the game. AV need money so they will change it for us.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

All my friend gamers know about darkfall and they also know about the grind. This is why they dont play. I inform them of that. I prevent them from playing darkfall. I dont want to lose one of my friend because of the mess AV did there. Once they fix up the grind, il be back with these same gamer friends.

Have to admit, you're pushing a little far now. Trial is enough to tell if a game is for you or not isn't it?

• Hellrazor27Hellrazor27 Member Posts: 55

Sometimes I wonder how meny people that post about Darkfall play Darkfall or have played.The hate for this game is amazing.To tell you the truth AV is doing a better job with this games then game like it in the past , I mean its been over a year since launch ,they have 2 servers now , 2 free expantions , reduced the grind a lot from how it was at launch,and have done a trail and starting a new one after this next patch.I could go on with the improvements that have been done and are to come but it would be pointless for some people , and yes the launch was a large fail but name a game that has not has a rough launch and most have twice the budget that DF had  ( Aion comes to mind).Sometime you got to wade thought the BS and take the dive to see for yourself and thats what i sugest people do before they listen to others that may have not played and just really hate the game for whatever reason.Darkfall is not for everyone but it could be for you like it is for a lot of other people.

• XianthosXianthos Member Posts: 723

Originally posted by Kuraphimaru

Originally posted by Hellrazor27

Sometime you got to wade thought the BS and take the dive to see for yourself and thats what i sugest people do before they listen to others that may have not played and just really hate the game for whatever reason.Darkfall is not for everyone but it could be for you like it is for a lot of other people.

But that is the problem with Darkfall. Nowadays, gamers, especially before spending money on a game, will try to find out how is the game and is it worth buying/spending time on it.  And during this search of information, they will come accross such two facts as following:

1. It takes about 4-6 months of constant grinding at a casual pace to become at least semi-viable in PvP (main and only aspect of the game) while getting ganked by high-levels for no other reason that they can and you must suck it up.

2. Any suggestions to ease this tedious process of grind or to improve the game gets met with comments such as: "GTFO". "tl/dr". "Go back to WoW noob", "The game isn't for you", "You are a carebear". (This is what I mostly saw and read on darkfall forums when I was thinking of buying this game some 2-3 months ago).

Now, this may not seem like much but it is a stopping point for a lot of people and 2 week trial (or however long it is) will not allow people to get hooked onto PvP and game but will only show them the ugly parts where they have to be powerless and at a constant mercy of higher-level, trigger-happy characters while doing something that a huge amount of eastern market games can provide them with for free, and that is grind.

So yes, I agree with you. The above scenarion isn't for everyone, but it only satisfies singles out of hundreds and I don't believe that it creates a promising future for the game.

Someone hit the nail on the head! :) A very valid argument.

Btw to the population which was interested in DF.

AV mentioned themself that there were 200k applys for beta testing.

Another hint if you check most popular games on the main page of mmorpg.com to a time scale of 1 year you will see that there were 1 300 000 uniq hits?  So i would MOST people are informed about DF which would have been interessted in the game. You can review this or that again, but i doubt that will help the population at this state.

Most ironic thing is the most time goes by the less people stay playing DF (newbs which get tired of grind, vets which get bored and others ) the less attractive the game becomes. AV could turn around and get DF to its glory, but if there are only few people left playing people wouldnt play it, as playing the best game on dead sever aint fun see (Vanguard etc). They claim their game is aswell the best in the world, but its empty ( few thousand? ) and there for isnt interessting for a lot of people.

EvE doors

See the best doors on EvE-on!

• xzyaxxzyax Member Posts: 2,459

All of my RL friends know of the game, and a couple are still actively playing it.

Since you asked in sincerity, I'll ask the same...

If hardly anyone knows about DarkFall, how did it garner the 300k+ members on their official forums?

If hardly anyone knows about DarkFall, how did it get the number of unique hits it received here at MMORPG.COM?

DarkFall is known to MMO gamers... as with any MMO the best time to capture your subscriber-base is at launch.  

When that opportunity is squandered... very, very few MMOs recover. image

Originally posted by xzyax

DarkFall is known to MMO gamers... as with any MMO the best time to capture your subscriber-base is at launch.  

I have hope. I think Age Of Conan is the best exemple. Funcom woke up after launch and greatly improved the game, the latest Expansion has been very well received even though it hasn't fully fixed a part of the grind (I believe 20-40).

If Aventurine can wake up already, I have hope for DarkFall. While it is true that many players left, I see a lot of players who still "watch" DarkFall's development, just in case the game would suddenly get better. Chances that DarkFall recovers are pretty high.

Originally posted by xzyax

I have hope. I think Age Of Conan is the best exemple. Funcom woke up after launch and greatly improved the game, the latest Expansion has been very well received even though it hasn't fully fixed a part of the grind (I believe 20-40).

If Aventurine can wake up already, I have hope for DarkFall. While it is true that many players left, I see a lot of players who still "watch" DarkFall's development, just in case the game would suddenly get better. Chances that DarkFall recovers are pretty high.

But you cant compare them. Its easyer to fix AoC then DF. AoC can aswell attract a much larger audience compared to DF (niche game). 

EvE doors

Originally posted by Xianthos

But you cant compare them. Its easyer to fix AoC then DF. AoC can aswell attract a much larger audience compared to DF (niche game). 

Quite frankly, the fixes DarkFall needs are far from hard. It's very basic to be more accurate. As for DarkFall being a niche game, it's definitively not as niche as most people like to believe.

• Hellrazor27Hellrazor27 Member Posts: 55

Originally posted by Kuraphimaru

Originally posted by Hellrazor27

Sometime you got to wade thought the BS and take the dive to see for yourself and thats what i sugest people do before they listen to others that may have not played and just really hate the game for whatever reason.Darkfall is not for everyone but it could be for you like it is for a lot of other people.

But that is the problem with Darkfall. Nowadays, gamers, especially before spending money on a game, will try to find out how is the game and is it worth buying/spending time on it.  And during this search of information, they will come accross such two facts as following:

1. It takes about 4-6 months of constant grinding at a casual pace to become at least semi-viable in PvP (main and only aspect of the game) while getting ganked by high-levels for no other reason that they can and you must suck it up.

2. Any suggestions to ease this tedious process of grind or to improve the game gets met with comments such as: "GTFO". "tl/dr". "Go back to WoW noob", "The game isn't for you", "You are a carebear". (This is what I mostly saw and read on darkfall forums when I was thinking of buying this game some 2-3 months ago).

Now, this may not seem like much but it is a stopping point for a lot of people and 2 week trial (or however long it is) will not allow people to get hooked onto PvP and game but will only show them the ugly parts where they have to be powerless and at a constant mercy of higher-level, trigger-happy characters while doing something that a huge amount of eastern market games can provide them with for free, and that is grind.

So yes, I agree with you. The above scenarion isn't for everyone, but it only satisfies singles out of hundreds and I don't believe that it creates a promising future for the game.

OK .I will have to agree with you on some points People talk shit, what game doesnt have those people ..But thats the thing about Darkfall its not going to be like the so called "AAA" mmos out there.Its different and yes some game mechanics are in need of some work but 1 year after launch there still patching and still releasing more updates to address the grind and a lot of other different things.If you compare DF from launch to DF now its almost a totaly different game. A lot has changed and that was my point is that people judge things by other people experiances and not their own and all i'm saying is dont buy into the BS and find out for yourself.

P.S I run a clan of 15 people 9 of them are on there 1st to 2nd month of the game and they seem to be doing fine as far as leveling.I will have them make there own posts to give some feedback on the noob experiance as it is now.

• stuxstux Member Posts: 462

The game doesn't need a huge population to last 10 years.  My favorite game of all time is still running 12 years later and hasn't had a large population  ever.

The biggest complaint I am hearing about the game is people don't want to grind in pvE to level their toons because they feel they need to do that to complete against the "vets" and there need to be more to draw out the pvp in a competitive fashion.

WAR was exactly that.  You never really needed to do any pve and could run straight into a BG within the first few hours of the game.  You could level in the BGs in that game.  The pve was just about the worst I have seen in any MMO and was by far the worst from a company of that size.  

If  you think by them simply adding a few hundred health to you toon or making it easier to grind to 75+ mastery in any given skill that you are going to compete all the time you are wrong.  Skill, Gear and circumstances will still determine who wins.

With the player cities / hamlets and limited spawns I have been able to find as much pvp as I want and usually more enjoyable then in any BG I have ever played in.  But I agree they could use to add more pvp action in some form.

I think the terms "vets" is the more vague term I have seen used in any MMO to date.  Going to make a post on this.

I get my ass kicked in plenty but it is usually a larger or better geared group more often then not.  Gear does matters in this game probably more so then it should given how hard it is to get the highest stuff.  BUT I still do find some wins and enjoyment out of the pvp even though I haven't played for that long and know I can't compete with the players that have played since release, have much higher skill or that have much better gear.  There are still plenty of people in my skill range that I find to fight.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Quite frankly, the fixes DarkFall needs are far from hard. It's very basic to be more accurate. As for DarkFall being a niche game, it's definitively not as niche as most people like to believe.

FFA full loot? Thats about as narrow a niche as there is in the western markets.  These days,  the overwhelming majority of players have no interest in spending months getting ganked over and over again, endlessly with little chance of fighting back.

Which bottom line, is what FFA full loot games are all about.  Some people like such games. It remains to be seen if DF can attract (and retain) enough of those to remain profitable.  If they can, then more power to them.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."

Maybe in theory it wasnt niche game, but reality showed something else otherwise there wouoldnt be only about 5k players playing. There for DF is niche and so far i didnt see anything promising which would move them out of "play to crush" niche.

Maybe it is easy to fix. Cant argue with that. But i dont believe that is easy for AV to fix DF ;) The past justifies my statment.

EvE doors

Maybe in theory it wasnt niche game, but reality showed something else otherwise there wouoldnt be only about 5k players playing. There for DF is niche and so far i didnt see anything promising which would move them out of "play to crush" niche.

Maybe it is easy to fix. Cant argue with that. But i dont believe that is easy for AV to fix DF ;) The past justifies my statment.

It has 5k actives because of the game's issues. EVE is technically niche with FFA PvP and still has 300k subs (sure Empire State is pretty big but still).

As for the fixes, I just wish AV would listen to the DarkFall Community Expansion Wishlist and also reduce the grind. It's really really easy, even for AV it should be. I think the hardest part in AV's choice is to wether or not they should alienate their Play To Crush player database.