Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PvP in this game :)

Hi guys! I just wanna thank you for your help in advance! :)I was thinking of making this my new MMO for the summer and onward. I was just wondering about the PvP in this game. My main focus is ingame PvP. I would roll on the PvP server and I was wondering how my experience would be. It would be amazing if you could help me by answering these questions. :)

Is PvP skill or gear based? Is PvP open world or instanced? Whats the best part of PvP? Hows the healing in PvP? Do you get constantly ganked on the PvP server? Do the guilds fight each other to the death? Do the guilds have KoS list etc for other guilds? Any other information about the PvP would be amazing! Thanks again =P Maddeline

Comments

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

Originally posted by maddey123

Hi guys! I just wanna thank you for your help in advance! :)I was thinking of making this my new MMO for the summer and onward. I was just wondering about the PvP in this game. My main focus is ingame PvP. I would roll on the PvP server and I was wondering how my experience would be. It would be amazing if you could help me by answering these questions. :)

Is PvP skill or gear based? Is PvP open world or instanced? Whats the best part of PvP? Hows the healing in PvP? Do you get constantly ganked on the PvP server? Do the guilds fight each other to the death? Do the guilds have KoS list etc for other guilds? Any other information about the PvP would be amazing! Thanks again =P Maddeline

well i will try to answer best i can.

there will be pvp for you on the pvp servers. you will be ganked alot, if you keep your cool and dont act like a child you could meet some cool people.

most of the pvp you will run into is you being ganked while either. hunting mobs, talking to the NPC, or just minding your own busniness.

alot of the times you are ganked there will be more then one player killing you, you will be out numbered and probably out leveled and out geared. once again, dont explode and send hate tells. try shooting the gankers a message and try to be friendly. most players in pvp games i end up playing with for long periods of times are players that i have battled at one time or another.

if your a new player this game takes alot of skill to pvp in. dont get mad if your not elite wtf pwn all in a week. it will take months and it will take you dieing ALOT before you understand how it works. and gear does help.

remember stealth is your friend, all classes can do it.

also it is open world pvp, the only safe spots are the big citys and in the little camps there is guards so watch out for them, they will own you.

the game is heavly instanced though wich kind of sucks but it is what it is give it a shot and see if you like it.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

There are several types of PvP in AoC. There is Minigames (capture the skull, etc), Sieges, Shrines, and Open world fighting (aka ganking). Open World fighting occurs most on PvP servers. You will get ganked on a PvP server. Yes, certain guilds have a KoS for other guilds. Either you develop a thick skin or go off to a PvE server. There is PvP activity going on a PvE server (mostly level 80 Minis, Sieges, and Shrines).

AoC's pvp is collision detected so no running through tricks (aka WoW or Aion). Other than that the setups are similiar in that you need healers as well as dps for a good team. Tanks get stuck as the runner alot. Good Luck and have fun.

• finaticdfinaticd Member Posts: 843

Originally posted by catlana

There are several types of PvP in AoC. There is Minigames (capture the skull, etc), Sieges, Shrines, and Open world fighting (aka ganking). Open World fighting occurs most on PvP servers. You will get ganked on a PvP server. Yes, certain guilds have a KoS for other guilds. Either you develop a thick skin or go off to a PvE server. There is PvP activity going on a PvE server (mostly level 80 Minis, Sieges, and Shrines).

AoC's pvp is collision detected so no running through tricks (aka WoW or Aion). Other than that the setups are similiar in that you need healers as well as dps for a good team. Tanks get stuck as the runner alot. Good Luck and have fun.

mini games have cooldown so yeah shriens of bori where you mine are 10 times better the other things, world pvp and the rest don't get you anywhere.

the head dev said shrines of bori is working well so farming rocks in a zerg guild for 10x the pvp xp and pvp aa  must be working as intended.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFpm_Mh6CaQ

Funcom has reviewed all of its assets relevant for
    impairment testing. This process has led to
    recognition of an impairment loss of around
    3,1 MUSD for Age of Conan due to a decrease in
    numbers of subscribers for the game. Funcom Q4 10 report.
    http://forums.ageofconan.com/showpost.php?p=2926123&postcount=7 500 mains/alts on Tyranny in past 30 days - instead of merge servers let's open a new PvP server, again! http://forums-eu.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=106427

• swollenwabitswollenwabit Member Posts: 107

Originally posted by finaticd

mini games have cooldown so yeah shriens of bori where you mine are 10 times better the other things, world pvp and the rest don't get you anywhere.

the head dev said shrines of bori is working well so farming rocks in a zerg guild for 10x the pvp xp and pvp aa  must be working as intended.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFpm_Mh6CaQ

Minigames have cooldown now eh? The only part about minigames that have cooldowns is the quest you can take for that specific minigames. You can join minigame after minigame as long as there is people to fill it up last I checked.

But you do have a posting history of spreading things that isn't always true. :) Funny to see you try so hard tho. 

• NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480

Best joining crom (PVE and most populated server) and join minigames if you want pvp.  The pvp realms on AoC are mostly full of irritating kids.  Also you will rarely get a fair fight in open world pvp so it's not really much fun, kinda like Eve it will always be many vs one with no chance of you fighting back.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

this game has probably some of the hardest pvp to master out there. i'm mostly talking about the mele side of the game. casters are pretty easy to pvp with and play like most other mmos.

mele on the other hand are much more complex to use succesfully. combos (with cd) that take practice to master, movement, cone of damage, knockbacks/sunns/slows, knockback/stunns/slows immunities, weappons hit box, double tapping, directional shielding, proper buffing and debuffing for each class, stamina managment, interrupts, timing and many more advanced movement techniques not to mention gear. it takes A LOT of practice to do absolutely anything in AoC pvp so prepare to get pawned a lot at the beginnig. you can't go anywere in this game if you give up easily or get frustrated fast, with mele at least.

i highly suggest playing a caster and a mele enough to get an idea of the difference of skilled required for each. it is quite night and day.

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589

Originally posted by swollenwabit

Originally posted by finaticd

Minigames have cooldown now eh? The only part about minigames that have cooldowns is the quest you can take for that specific minigames. You can join minigame after minigame as long as there is people to fill it up last I checked.

But you do have a posting history of spreading things that isn't always true. :) Funny to see you try so hard tho. 

Well, it's just another one of these non-player-giving-expert-advice-acidents. lol. See it in 2 out of 3 posts really. lol

But hey, keep it coming. It's fun :)

The Ultimate Breakdown

• negentropynegentropy Member Posts: 241

Originally posted by DrunkWolf

Originally posted by maddey123

well i will try to answer best i can.

there will be pvp for you on the pvp servers. you will be ganked alot, if you keep your cool and dont act like a child you could meet some cool people.

most of the pvp you will run into is you being ganked while either. hunting mobs, talking to the NPC, or just minding your own busniness.

While this is true, I would also like to add that 50% of the time, you will be attacked and WIN the fight. Seems the PvPers in AoC are mostly terrible. But then prepare for the verbal onslaught of immaturity if you happen to win. It's funny as hell.

alot of the times you are ganked there will be more then one player killing you, you will be out numbered and probably out leveled and out geared. once again, dont explode and send hate tells. try shooting the gankers a message and try to be friendly. most players in pvp games i end up playing with for long periods of times are players that i have battled at one time or another.

if your a new player this game takes alot of skill to pvp in. dont get mad if your not elite wtf pwn all in a week. it will take months and it will take you dieing ALOT before you understand how it works. and gear does help.

remember stealth is your friend, all classes can do it.

also it is open world pvp, the only safe spots are the big citys and in the little camps there is guards so watch out for them, they will own you.

That means if you are gathering near a town and you are "interrupted" -- as they call it -- don't use any AoE spells or you may find a guard or two handing you your ass on a plate. ;-)

the game is heavly instanced though wich kind of sucks but it is what it is give it a shot and see if you like it.

The game is pretty good. Take it for a spin. I was pleasantly surprised.

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -Winston Churchill