Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bye Bye AVR

MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

I've only seen this mentioned recently, but I guess Blizzard doesn't want it in game anymore.

Source

"This is a notice that we’re making changes in 3.3.5 in attempts to break the ability for the AVR (Augmented Virtual Reality) mod to continue functioning. For those unaware, this mod allows players to draw in the 3D space of the game world, which can then be shared with others who are also using the mod. In some cases this manifests itself through drawing/tagging/defacing the game world, but more popularly is used to give visual guides for dungeon and raid encounters.

We’re making this change for two reasons. The invasive nature of a mod altering and/or interacting with the game world (virtually or directly) is not intended and not something we will allow. World of Warcraft UI addons are never intended to interact with the game world itself. This is mirrored in our stance and restriction of model and texture alterations. The second reason is that it removes too much player reaction and decision-making while facing dungeon and raid encounters. While some other mods also work to this end, we find that AVR and the act of visualizing strategy within the game world simply goes beyond what we’re willing to allow.

The change we’re making in attempts to break the functionality is light in its touch and approach. When blocking any functionality we run the risk of affecting other mods, but we’ve targeted the changes as carefully as possible. If we find that the AVR mod (or any mod attempting to replicate its functions) are usable after 3.3.5 we will take further, more drastic steps"

Heres a video of how it currently works.

Comments

• DreathorDreathor Member Posts: 537

*cheer*

"If all you can say is... "It's awful, it's not innovative, it's ugly, it's blah.." Then you're an unimaginative and unpolished excuse for human life" -eburn

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

"The second reason is that it removes too much player reaction and decision-making while facing dungeon and raid encounters."

Is that a joke?

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• zandman78zandman78 Member Posts: 14

Personally I think World of Warcraft is a way too easy game even without these kind of addons. I think players should learn and play on feeling instead of relaying on tools like this.

I have played World of Warcraft over many years and started over like 4 times. I have put alot of time into this game because it was easy and therefor fun.

But this addon feels more like a cheat that a helper. So Im glad Blizzard removes it to keep the game at least somewhat of a challange ;)

I will probably return to WoW once the next expansion is released. Then I might think its fun to start a new character again. I have leveled 10+ characters 70-80 and the world is pretty boring by now so Im glad they remake it all in that expansion :)

They killed most of the strategy in the game when they put in AOE tanking.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Rumor is they are toning down a lot of AoE abilities in the expansion. One of my biggest issues with running dungeons in WotLK was the ease for some tanks to grab instant agro on all mobs allowing the DPS classes to open up with all of their AoE abilities and no longer needing CC. Supposedly they are adjusting that in Cata, but I haven't seen any direct quotes from the devs yet reflecting it.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

I'm a long time WoW vet and I have to say, this was the most retarded addon I've seen (with GS being a close 2nd). I guess video guides, raid leader instructions and online strats aren't enough for some lazy bastards. Good for Blizzard to stop the madness before the expansion comes out. And good luck to all the would be PUG raiders out there.....

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

AVR?   Arien vs Redator?   Scooby-Doo!

Seriously, IMO, it's moronic to allow any MMO to run any mods.   If the mod is that good/useful, it should be made part of the game.   Anything else is tantamount to cheating.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

Originally posted by Murashu

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Rumor is they are toning down a lot of AoE abilities in the expansion. One of my biggest issues with running dungeons in WotLK was the ease for some tanks to grab instant agro on all mobs allowing the DPS classes to open up with all of their AoE abilities and no longer needing CC. Supposedly they are adjusting that in Cata, but I haven't seen any direct quotes from the devs yet reflecting it.

The devs have said this is one of their major goals in Cat..they want to bring back the need for CC.  I've seen it posted all over the place by Ghostcrawler.  I don't think they are going to nerf tanking abilities, I think they are just going to design encounters that are difficult for the tank to pick up all the adds (even with AOE abilities).  The other aspect is the amount of mana that healers have.  In Wotlk, your tank can take a beating and your healer almost never goes out of mana.  They are greatly adjusting mana regeneration so that healers have to be careful.  If your group doesn't CC, and your tank is getting beat on by 5 mobs, then your healer will go OOM trying to keep him alive.  You will need to CC 2 of them so your healer can keep up with damage.

The problem really came about because of Pally tanks in Burning Crusuade.  They had consecrate, which made them vastly superior for running heroics quickly.  Instead of toning down pally AOE tanking, the devs instead gave all the other tanks equally useful AOE tanking abilities.  At the same time, mana efficiency of healing spells was too good, so that healer could be massively ineffecient and still keep the tank alive without OOM issues.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

Originally posted by SwampRob

AVR?   Arien vs Redator?   Scooby-Doo!

Seriously, IMO, it's moronic to allow any MMO to run any mods.   If the mod is that good/useful, it should be made part of the game.   Anything else is tantamount to cheating.

I like some of them that customize the UI and allow you to show/hide information that you really don't need.  But I am with you as far as Mods like the ones that warn you about incoming boss attacks. 

Blizzard has done a great job of 'stealing' some of the best mods and incorporating them into the base UI.  I think the way they do things now is a great way to save them from wasting manhours on something that isn't useful.  Now they just wait until a mod becomes extremely popular, then they know it is worth their time to put it into the base UI.

• jonrd463jonrd463 Member UncommonPosts: 607

Sweet. Now, if only they could eliminate Gearscore.

"You'll never win an argument with an idiot because he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous

Originally posted by Azrile

The devs have said this is one of their major goals in Cat..they want to bring back the need for CC.  I've seen it posted all over the place by Ghostcrawler.

I don't believe it for a second. Virtually every change they make (including others mentioned for Cata) is to dumb-down the game, so making players go back to having to actually think during a fight would be a reversal of philosophy.

I don't think they are going to nerf tanking abilities, I think they are just going to design encounters that are difficult for the tank to pick up all the adds (even with AOE abilities).  The other aspect is the amount of mana that healers have.  In Wotlk, your tank can take a beating and your healer almost never goes out of mana.  They are greatly adjusting mana regeneration so that healers have to be careful.  If your group doesn't CC, and your tank is getting beat on by 5 mobs, then your healer will go OOM trying to keep him alive.  You will need to CC 2 of them so your healer can keep up with damage.

The problem really came about because of Pally tanks in Burning Crusuade.  They had consecrate, which made them vastly superior for running heroics quickly.  Instead of toning down pally AOE tanking, the devs instead gave all the other tanks equally useful AOE tanking abilities.  At the same time, mana efficiency of healing spells was too good, so that healer could be massively ineffecient and still keep the tank alive without OOM issues.

True. Pally tanking was the start of it. It's politically easier for devs to give the same ability to other tanks, than to admit their mistake and take it away (which is what they should have done).

Originally posted by Azrile

I like some of them that customize the UI and allow you to show/hide information that you really don't need.

I liked those as well. Titan Panel was a favourite of mine.

But I am with you as far as Mods like the ones that warn you about incoming boss attacks. 

Combat mods are definitely a cheat.

Blizzard has done a great job of 'stealing' some of the best mods and incorporating them into the base UI.  I think the way they do things now is a great way to save them from wasting manhours on something that isn't useful.  Now they just wait until a mod becomes extremely popular, then they know it is worth their time to put it into the base UI.

I agree that that is a good design strategy.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

Now that response is just damn funny by Blizzard..  There are dozens and dozens of addons being used in the game.. some of the more popular ones being DBM, and Healbot, etc etc.. And they don't see those addons as being "advantageous" to the dungeon or raid?  OMFG.... This is one classic reason why I left WoW, was the outright "blow smoke up my ass" communications by Blizzard.. 

This position by Blizzard makes as much sense as it would be to outlaw cigars, but allow cigarettes and pipe..

/boggled

IMO.. ALL 3rd party addons should be banned.. period.. for multiple reason..