Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another noob looking for some help

Yep - Im having some trouble learning the ropes. Hoping you all can help. :)

For starters, I can't settle on a class. So far, I've tried Bear Shaman and Barb to level 20 and Necro, Conq, Assassin and Ranger to level 12 or so... I seem to like the melee classes with Combos most  but Im a bit concerned the complexity of a healing/melee/buffing/debuffing class(BS) might be a bit much for someone new learning how to play. I am not a huge fan of the caster classes, altho the Necro was kind of interesting. So basically, Im looking for solid melee, not too complex and ideally... one weapon WOULD be nice. Maybe Im just a noob but I seem to dislike having to change weapons everytime I want to run a different combo. Because of this, I was considering trying a guard out but I figured this would automatically make me a main tank end game at raids - I assume, the Guard is the primary tanking class so please correct me if Im wrong. Normally, I'm ok with this as I've played tanks in other MMOs and very much enjoyed it, but I've never played a single raid in AoC before so that might be over my head and I'd hate to be the one expected to know the way/boss fights etc and end up not having a clue :) Then again, I haven't done anything in AoC apart from Tortage so everything is over my head lol Still, the class seems to be interesting but hopefully not a painfully slow leveler like in most MMOs :)  Regardless, any class advice you can give me would be wonderful. As you can see, I've tried many and suffer from Alt-a-holism.

Regardless - I'm going to be leaving Tortage soon and I have a choice of 3 starting zones (I believe)? Im wondering what's the best for leveling.. I should mention, Im on a PVE server and won't be too concerned about PVP till late game.  I've heard one of these zones is better/more noobie-friendly and has better questing compared to the other zones. Hopefully one of you guys can point me in the right direction. 

Also - this maybe a stupid question, but when I got a quest reward back on my assassin I had the choice of cloth armor (I believe) with +Hide and light armor with what APPEARED to be lesser stats for my class... it completely confuses me to take lesser armor classes (IE: Cloth before Light) but this was strange to me... why wouldn't the light armor have the +Hide? Perhaps I've mistaken and therefore deserved to be flamed; but I seem to recall this was the case. I assume.... I should still be going for the highest armor possible, correct? 

Anything else you can tell me to watch out for/what to do when getting to the post 20 zones would be very helpful and appreciated. Oh - and one more question! What level can you start running instances with groups/elite content? I really enjoy grouping, so I'd like to get involved and learn my class as soon as possible... of course, I dont know what class that will be yet but hopefully ill figure that out soon enough ;) 

Cheers

Comments

• FalfeirFalfeir Member UncommonPosts: 492

welcome to AoC. If you want to use combos and not sure about melee, you can try ranger, its a solid class, welcome to any raid/group with very few "responsibility". Dont worry much about raid roles and knowing things; if you join a guild and tell people that its your first run they'll help for sure.

BS can be overhelming for a new starter, especially in pvp servers but its a very fun to play class when u get the grips. Official forums are better place to look for guides/infos but be careful, some very old infos are still stickied.

I dont know much about tanks but conquerers are liked very much in my guild. They can combat rez, very good for group content.  (someone comfirm maybe?)

get the highest armor possible, dont worry much about armor, at least till 50, you outlevel any armor very quickly.

here are the list of dungeons, excluding ones in kithai, expansion

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=204673

I need more vespene gas.

• AercusAercus Member UncommonPosts: 775

Originally posted by Stayonboard

Yep - Im having some trouble learning the ropes. Hoping you all can help. :)

For starters, I can't settle on a class. So far, I've tried Bear Shaman and Barb to level 20 and Necro, Conq, Assassin and Ranger to level 12 or so... I seem to like the melee classes with Combos most  but Im a bit concerned the complexity of a healing/melee/buffing/debuffing class(BS) might be a bit much for someone new learning how to play. I am not a huge fan of the caster classes, altho the Necro was kind of interesting. So basically, Im looking for solid melee, not too complex and ideally... one weapon WOULD be nice. Maybe Im just a noob but I seem to dislike having to change weapons everytime I want to run a different combo. Because of this, I was considering trying a guard out but I figured this would automatically make me a main tank end game at raids - I assume, the Guard is the primary tanking class so please correct me if Im wrong. Normally, I'm ok with this as I've played tanks in other MMOs and very much enjoyed it, but I've never played a single raid in AoC before so that might be over my head and I'd hate to be the one expected to know the way/boss fights etc and end up not having a clue :) Then again, I haven't done anything in AoC apart from Tortage so everything is over my head lol Still, the class seems to be interesting but hopefully not a painfully slow leveler like in most MMOs :)  Regardless, any class advice you can give me would be wonderful. As you can see, I've tried many and suffer from Alt-a-holism.

BS is a tough, but rewarding, class to play, but not noob friendly. Haven't played a sin but from what I hear it is not very noob friendly either. :)

If I were you I might think about the Dark Templar. Starts off quite easy and slowly progresses to be a more "involved" character. Melee and can be either tank or dps specced.

Regardless - I'm going to be leaving Tortage soon and I have a choice of 3 starting zones (I believe)? Im wondering what's the best for leveling.. I should mention, Im on a PVE server and won't be too concerned about PVP till late game.  I've heard one of these zones is better/more noobie-friendly and has better questing compared to the other zones. Hopefully one of you guys can point me in the right direction. 

3 zones and 3 cities + 1 extra zone if you buy the xpac. They are all good to level in, though Khopshef gives a few more cloth items and Connals a few more medium (and after 30 heavy).

Also - this maybe a stupid question, but when I got a quest reward back on my assassin I had the choice of cloth armor (I believe) with +Hide and light armor with what APPEARED to be lesser stats for my class... it completely confuses me to take lesser armor classes (IE: Cloth before Light) but this was strange to me... why wouldn't the light armor have the +Hide? Perhaps I've mistaken and therefore deserved to be flamed; but I seem to recall this was the case. I assume.... I should still be going for the highest armor possible, correct? 

You are either well protected but visible or less protected and more stealthy/higher dps. It's a trade off especially the conq and DT needs to make, they can go heavy armor and get better dps or plate and be better armored.

Anything else you can tell me to watch out for/what to do when getting to the post 20 zones would be very helpful and appreciated. Oh - and one more question! What level can you start running instances with groups/elite content? I really enjoy grouping, so I'd like to get involved and learn my class as soon as possible... of course, I dont know what class that will be yet but hopefully ill figure that out soon enough ;) 

First real group only instance is Black Castle at around 30ish. You can run a couple other dungeons on epic if you can get a group for them, they are quite fun and give good rewards.

Cheers

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Okay, I will try to answer a few questions for you. The easiest level 20 zones are Stygia (Khop) and Aquilona (Wild lands). There is a level 20 small solo instance in each one (house in Baburshar / tunnels) with multiple quests that will net you a lot of xp. There are a few group instances coming up for you (Black Castle at early 30s and Sanctum at late 30s early forties). Btw, Black Castle is far more difficult. Tanking in AoC is not difficult but it really does help to know the instance / fights.  

Bear Shammies get more powerful as they level. My trips to the Volcano were some serious beat downs but after level 25 things started feeling better and at 50 the bear shammy felt like a power house. Guards and DTs are usually thought of as tanks although quite a few level as dps. Conqs are extremely popular (hard to throw a rock without hitting a couple).  Bear Shammies, Dark Templars, and Assassins are the rarest melee. Good luck and have fun.

• BurnthebedBurnthebed Member Posts: 443

I'm just coming back myself, but when I played at release i LOVED my bear shammy. It takes some getting used to, but you can seriously own with one.

As stated above they get much stronger over time too.

The sleeper awakes...and rides his dirtbike to the mall.

• saxifrsaxifr Member UncommonPosts: 381

Originally posted by catlana

Okay, I will try to answer a few questions for you. The easiest level 20 zones are Stygia (Khop) and Aquilona (Wild lands). There is a level 20 small solo instance in each one (house in Baburshar / tunnels) with multiple quests that will net you a lot of xp. There are a few group instances coming up for you (Black Castle at early 30s and Sanctum at late 30s early forties). Btw, Black Castle is far more difficult. Tanking in AoC is not difficult but it really does help to know the instance / fights.  

Bear Shammies get more powerful as they level. My trips to the Volcano were some serious beat downs but after level 25 things started feeling better and at 50 the bear shammy felt like a power house. Guards and DTs are usually thought of as tanks although quite a few level as dps. Conqs are extremely popular (hard to throw a rock without hitting a couple).  Bear Shammies, Dark Templars, and Assassins are the rarest melee. Good luck and have fun.

^ I had actually been hearing that there are a LOOOOOT of bear shamans out there.

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

• FalfeirFalfeir Member UncommonPosts: 492

Originally posted by saxifr

^ I had actually been hearing that there are a LOOOOOT of bear shamans out there.

depends on the server but generally BS is one of the least played classes.

http://aoc.yg.com/census

I need more vespene gas.

• Destiny2010Destiny2010 Member UncommonPosts: 327

My main is a BS, and I can say that 1-40 was like hell, but 40+ is easier, and he becomes more powerful with each lvl earned! I once took on 8 mobs in a row in lvl 50s without rest, so its not a weak class, but a personal challenge it sure can be.