Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPad as a gaming platform?

dreldrel Member Posts: 918

I keep looking at the IPad and wonder, besides media, what good is it for. I wonder if it has viability as a gaming system?

Comments

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by drel

I keep looking at the IPad and wonder, besides media, what good is it for. I wonder if it has viability as a gaming system?

Its basically a glorified iphone/ipod touch so any games you can play on that I'm sure you can play on the iPad.  Don't really know why someone would want to use it as a gaming machine though...

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Its basically a glorified iphone/ipod touch so any games you can play on that I'm sure you can play on the iPad.  Don't really know why someone would want to use it as a gaming machine though...

Why wouldn't you?  It is kind of big, but if you're going to carry it around with you, I don't see why you wouldn't want to.  I guess if you had a PSP or a DS it would be pretty pointless.  The one thing it has that they don't is a 3G connection.  I could see some simple MMOs or online games being played on there.  

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

no

a more detailed answer:

There are far better portable gaming machines out there.

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

Well, it litterally is just a big ipod touch / iphone. So I don't think games would really be out of the question, since the ipod has some decently fun games. I just couldn't see like a really well done mmo or anything coming out on it.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by bleyzwun

Why wouldn't you?  It is kind of big, but if you're going to carry it around with you, I don't see why you wouldn't want to.  I guess if you had a PSP or a DS it would be pretty pointless.  The one thing it has that they don't is a 3G connection.  I could see some simple MMOs or online games being played on there.  

Utilizing a primarily touch screen interface isn't that appealing, it has its merits like on the DS, the ipod and android platforms, but I don't see it being a preferred way of gaming for a more traditional gamer base. 

I see it being popular for those that play games like farmville or smaller games like what is currently available for the iPhone.  

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

I've dropped a message in the WoW section a while back that showed an iPad streaming the game. It was used like ane expensive monitor ;)

Dunno if you can run REAL games on it. My guess is that the iStore will hold back most of the usefull applications. One thing for sure, flash won't be supported, since Mr. Jobs seems to hate Adobe :s

• mundus01mundus01 Member Posts: 100

The I-Pad seems to be a pretty big hit as far as sells go. I dont think it will be long before we see a windows based type of  portable touch  system,from Asus or Msi. That is what I will be waiting on.

Originally posted by bleyzwun

Utilizing a primarily touch screen interface isn't that appealing, it has its merits like on the DS, the ipod and android platforms, but I don't see it being a preferred way of gaming for a more traditional gamer base. 

I see it being popular for those that play games like farmville or smaller games like what is currently available for the iPhone.  

Yeah, I hear that.  That's why i said simple games.  I definitely wouldn't want to play anything too complicated on there.  If I had one, though, I wouldn't mind having a few games on there to kill some time.

I just came across this while browsing Kotaku. http://kotaku.com/5550120/the-original-prince-of-persia-is-glorious-on-the-ipad

I can definitely see playing some vintage games on there, or puzzle games like Tetris, or Puzzle Fighter.

Originally posted by mundus01

The I-Pad seems to be a pretty big hit as far as sells go. I dont think it will be long before we see a windows based type of  portable touch  system,from Asus or Msi. That is what I will be waiting on.

Yeah, and hopefully a bit cheaper.  I really want one for couch browsing or reading e-books/manga.  I just don't feel the price is worth it for how much I will actually use it.  

• BesttheiswowBesttheiswow Member Posts: 301

Originally posted by mundus01

Yep its not hard to come up with hardware better then any apple releases...i mean any 10y old phone compared to iphone can multitask from the beginning, send mms, copy/paste, any half priced phone has better camera, touch screen and does everything iphone does , at half price...

Google phone has same cpu power as an ipad..and can multitask..

Any tablet coming next is better then ipad...not hard...

• mundus01mundus01 Member Posts: 100

I was just over at www.techpowerup.com and Asus has announced a 12 inch and 10 inch model touch screen computers that run windows 7. Will be out 1q of 2011.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

http://www.exopc.com/en/exopc-slate.php this is what you ll need if you want to play on a tablet (ipad)or similar

if your casual just facebook away if you are into other game come here browse to your heart content!

• momoromomoro Member Posts: 1

As far as I understand it, it is only good for playing some casual games, such as games at Facebook. Nothing more serious. 

• YoohoomeYoohoome Member Posts: 22

I dunno, I don't have an Ipad.. but if it was capable to handle games ,why not? ahahhaa

• GundricGundric Member UncommonPosts: 345

If cloud computing takes off then sure.   Would be kind of cool to use an ipad like device to quick log into a game while I'm watching tv and check the Auction House, mail etc without having an app that only does those things.  Actually be in the game on your toon and running around.  If this took off in the future I'm sure game devs would allow use of touch screen navigation in the game so you could use your hotbar.

• tddavistddavis Member Posts: 159

It could play serious games, problem is getting developers to make games for that market since the Itunes stores model is make everything not cost more than 5 dollars. You would have to charge 15 dollars at least for a game for the developers to take it serious to put in the resources. Plus the demographic would have to be filled with enough gamers to justify the resources as well. The Ipad, Ipod touch, and Iphone have more graphics power than the current handhelds on the market like the PSP or DS. It is more a limitation of money for the reason why games aren't of the same caliber as the other handhelds. if Apple wanted to get serious they would have to take the first big steps themselves like Nintendo and form their own Game studios to make franchises for their hardware. Like what apple did with Final Cut and other software. Right now I don't think Apple cares enough to get serious and enter the game industry which is why it has stayed casual for now.

• NassergamezNassergamez Member UncommonPosts: 37

In the gaming world yes....In the MMO world not as much unless your near a internet cafe and/or at the house with a wireless router since AT&T went out of there way to announce that they are discontinuing there unlimited data plan and are going into a tiered data service.

http://gizmodo.com/5553418/att-just-killed-unlimited-wireless-data-and-screwed-everybody-in-the-process

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

If there was a way to plug a gamepad into the damn thing, it would be about the same as a PSP graphically.

Right now there is one MMO on the IPad: Pocket legends.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

I don't personally own one, and I probably never will, but if you've got the money to throw at a device like an iPad and not blink an eye, you might as well. Really, it's a convenience item. When I say convenience, I mean it does all of the things we're already doing in slightly less complicated or user friendly ways, such as accesing Netflix or their book store application. As far as games are concerned, I love it. To be fair though, I probably wouldn't want to play a serious MMO on an iPad, but games like Battle for Wesnoth and Plants vs. Zombies are both extremely fun, and I think easier to play, on a touch screen. It might not lend itself well to the full spectrum of genre's, but I think it could be just as useful for FPS or third person action/rpg games, as well.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

I play some really good games on my iphone so i see no reason why you cant do the same on the ipad.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• arikingariking Member Posts: 7

ipad is not a bad gamming platform, just dont know how long u can hold it while playing a game

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Until telco carriers stop with imposing low data caps and high overage fees the I-Pad the I-Phone and any other tech currently under these carriers will never able to realize their true potential of what they can really do.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

One word sums it up >>>> NO

Unless your talking about card games and things like that.

I think even multi-tasking is a struggle on a Ipad.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

I think iPad could be great platform for RPG. Certainly Square Enix is supporting iOS well, would be great to see others do so too.

http://dlgames.square-enix.com/na/ipod/