Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

new player

lkc673lkc673 Member Posts: 149

Hi new player in the game, but not sure which server is good? which server has the most oceanic players in it? since im in australia would be good to find a good guild start exploring the final fantasy world?? i heard theres lots to do but also very grindy? compare to korean mmo which is more grindier??

Comments

• thelawoflogicthelawoflogic Member UncommonPosts: 788

ausra is good and it alot fum find a linkshell

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Asura* is the name of that server, and the game was wicked grindy last I checked. The only difference was that Korean grinders suggest you do it alone for the most part, there's no way to do that in FFXI, you gotta group. Though with that said, FFXI was the most fun I ever had while doing mob farming.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• lkc673lkc673 Member Posts: 149

i heard the game is really slow in combat as well?? i have been a FF fan for a long time being a bit dissapointed in 13 i wanted to try 11 but not sure if i should wait till 14. The game is selling pretty damn cheap including the expansion packs!!!

Is ausra the oceanic or the most populated?

Combat is slow at first, but once you get haste cast on you it's way different. Everything comes together with a full group with the right roles, including battle momentum. Was way better back when you could do skillchains too.

Asura is the most populated, and I don't think they have oceanic servers, because they are all multinational. The game has an awesome translation feature too, I used to play with Japanese and French-Canadians all the time with no issue. It helps that this (_)) is universal sign as well, everyone understands it.

yeah i know there isnt one but usually they would have one with most oceanic people in that server. I cant seem to find a forum on the actual site?? what is a linkshell? Do u think its worth playing it? theres no pvp right? could u also tell me what class to stay away from or which one u need the most? sorry about all these questions

• AngorimAngorim Member Posts: 466

Originally posted by lkc673

yeah i know there isnt one but usually they would have one with most oceanic people in that server. I cant seem to find a forum on the actual site?? what is a linkshell? Do u think its worth playing it? theres no pvp right? could u also tell me what class to stay away from or which one u need the most? sorry about all these questions

There are no regional servers as far as I know, and Asura is your best bet to find all types of time zones to play with.

A linkshell is their version of a guild, only you're not tied to one necessarily, just whatever link "pearl" you have equipped.

It's entirely worth playing if you enjoy the game, they have no plans of shutting down or  stopping content production even with FFXIV around the corner.

There is a form of PvP, but it is an added afterthought that is not balanced though some, for whatever reason, enjoy it.  The game is first and foremost 100% PvE, most of which is spent in groups to progress.  Some classes are capable of soloing, but at varying speeds and no where near as efficient as a group, or even a duo/trio.  Soloing is mostly spent farming for gil (their version of currency) and crafting mats/items.

As for what class, it's whatever you find interesting.  You can pick from one of the 6 basic starter classes consisting of Warrior, Monk, Thief, Black Mage, Red Mage, and White Mage.  They're all strong classes in their specialized fields, but varying is power at certain level ranges.  At level 18 you can do a quest to unlock the ability to gain a subjob and combine powers of two classes to use essentially.  At 30, you can begin unlocking advanced jobs and playing them once completed, though some are much harder to unlock than others as well as time consuming.

WAR (all classes are abbreviated with three letters in game) is a great job to either tank or dps with.  Strong killer and only health for down time.

MNK is a high health melee damage dealer, pretty straight forward and similar to WAR minus the tanking ability.

THF is a light melee class that can do amazing damage, but not until 15 when you unlock a special ability.  Often a more challenging role to play as you're more than likely the "puller" for a group.

BLM is a very strong caster, but weak in defense.  Pure offense caster and always wanted for damage early on.  You are a mana hog, however.

RDM is a utility and hybrid class, capable of both offensive and supportive magic, though their main group specialization is debuffing and later on regen/refresh (health/mana) buffs.

WHM is the games pure healer, limited offense but a ton of healing and utility as well as a decent undead killer because of their holy affinity.  Probably the highest sought after for groups, but it's dependent on what current role is needed.

Already a wall of text, but a general idea of what you asked.

Edited: for lack of proof-reading and spelling errors.

• DreathorDreathor Member Posts: 537

A linkshell is a guild, and there's some kind of dueling/arena pvp (someone more informed please explain!).

There's an excellent class guide on this forum:
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/147054/The-definitive-guide-for-FFXI-jobs.html

Did you get a buddy-key with your copy of the game by any chance? *whistle*

"If all you can say is... "It's awful, it's not innovative, it's ugly, it's blah.." Then you're an unimaginative and unpolished excuse for human life" -eburn

Well the one dude answered most of your questions, but if you're bent on being a class that's in higher demand at lower levels for groups; WAR, RDM and WHM.

White mages are great, everyone needs a healer, and later on you get a teleport spell that can seriously make you some spare change from other players in need of fast transport (unless they made travel easier lately).

Every group needs a Warrior to tank too, and lots of people don't like playing tank, so it's also a healthy choice.

Red Mage was my favorite choice early on though, they can so *some* damage, and also take up healing very well. Their debuffs are great later on too, but hardly noticible at the start.

why pepole dont play the tanking role? is it boring?

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Most people like playing DPS, like with any other game.

Tanking is the most enjoyable role there is in XI, imo. You won't do huge damage, but it is quite an active role.

Being front line healer is also quite enjoyable (Dancer). A bit of damage, buffing, debuffing, healing and rather efficient soloing is a nice mix and you will be a good asset to groups too.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • AngorimAngorim Member Posts: 466

It's not that it's necessarily boring unless you only care about dealing lots of damage and not soaking it up, but it's a lot of pressure.  You're the only thing standing between the group progressing or dying a miserably, painful death at the creature much higher level than any of characters fighting it.

My friend loved playing RDM because he only had to refresh, well, the refresh buff in parties and occasionally heal/debuff if it was going south.  He enjoys little responsibility and not having to focus 100% on what he's doing, so it just depends on your play style.

Personally, I prefer WHM and the healing style, though that's a different type of pressure all together.  I love being the person keeping that meat shield alive, however I did enjoy playing a PLD (Paladin) which is the best damage-absorbing tank in the game (PLD sub WAR).

im very surprise it still has that many servers!!! Well its between this or everquest 2 haha

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

im very surprise it still has that many servers!!! Well its between this or everquest 2 haha

Everquest 2 is more user- and newbie-friendly but overall I like XI better.

I'd still recommend starting EQ2 at this time though, because those two factors are pretty huge in this era.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".

okay break it down for me 

Best tank?

Best DPS?

and Best Healer?

thanks a lot for your infos, is there also a friend pass or a trial ?

• rentalrental Member Posts: 3

okay break it down for me 

Best tank?

Best DPS?

and Best Healer?

Been playing for quite a bit of this game (since 2003 JP release), the game now is slightly more grind friendly and leveling have been made easier, since the release of ToA and WoTG.

I would like to highlight that in FFXI, the tank is a relatively unique role and differs slightly from leveling. During leveling, the use of strong DPS tanks are viable, but at endgame, it is usually enmity tanking that results in using mainly Paladin or Ninja to tank.

Tank: PLD, NIN

Healers: Whitemage

The rest of jobs are relatively in the in between zones depending on subjobs and configurations. The whitemage is the staple healer in the game though a backup healer (Dancer/Red mage/Summoners) can push healing through in lower levels but fall short when come into endgame such as Dynamis, HNMs, Salvage and SEA.

The other job you should consider is the BARD. The bard is a great beinging jobs and welcomed by parties, since his main job is to refresh mages (ballads) and increase attack  or accuracy of melee through the use of songs.

For DPS, most melee would fit the jobs, though at lower levels (prior 75) there is a preference for samurai and warrior due to their subtank abilities. If you are looking for high constant damage through weapon skilling spamming, samurai is the best bet currently due to the twohanded patch that nerfed the dual wielders previously. If you are looking for spike damage, the use of Dark knight would be great.

For leveling, blackmages are use to magic-burst skillchains tough it is becoming rare since 2006 with ToA release. Now they are usually soloing till endgame and it is not easy since party simply do not pick up blms. In endgame, the best constant damage against bosses are still blm & summoners, that produce a constant stream of damage while most melee damage is considerably reduced.

Hope this provide a little insights, but FFXI is really a wide game and certain bosses & instance would be slightly different in roles.