Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sith Warrior Specializations, Companion and speeders.

Sith Juggernaut

Sith who train in the stalwart arts of the

Juggernaut boast unrivaled stamina in battle. Through

diligence and clarity, the Juggernaut shapes the Force to his

will to become nearly invulnerable. Damage that would destroy others is shrugged off, and futility fills the Juggernaut's foes with doubt and despair. Protecting their allies and punishing their adversaries, they charge into the

thick of any fray, and take the brunt of the assault and are even able to drain the energy of their enemies to further strengthen their resolve

Sith Marauder

Wielding two sabers and unmatched aggression, Sith trained as Marauders

slice through enemy ranks, dealing death with merciless efficiency. Able to intuit

precisely how to attack in order to maximize every strike, their adversaries

become victims in the blink of an eye. Whether annihilating a squad of

Republic troops or cutting down a single Jedi, the Marauder sees and

exploits every weakness to exact the greatest toll. Never

hesitating, never faltering, there is no swifter bringer

of pain and damage in the galaxy.

Companion

Vette

Few people have seen as much of the galaxy as Vette and few have had as little control of their destiny. Born a slave on the occupied world of Ryloth, Vette was separated from her family at an early age and sold to a series of minor crime lords. When legendary pirate lord Nok

Drayen utterly destroyed her latest owner's holdings, Vette and the other slaves were given their choice of freedom or joining up with Nok. Vette became a pirate, travelling the known worlds and learning to get in and out of places she wasn't allowed.

Years later Nok Drayen mysteriously and suddenly released all of his people from service. Vette was left on Nar Shaddaa where she joined up with other young, idealistic Twi'leks and used her criminal abilities to rob and ruin those who exploited Ryloth's cultural artifacts and people. An unquenchable spark, Vette is older than her years but far from mature, delighting in silly pranks and always ready to laugh at people who think too much of themselves.

Aurebesh

Lord Baras

Kala,uun

Speeder shown in use

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/gamespace/updates.php?pid=951199&sid=6264088&mode=previews&tag=topslot;title;5

http://swtor.com/news/news-article/20100528_002-0

Comments

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Thanks for the info greed.

I have to say I am slightly disappointed to see that the companion characters will be the same for every character of a class. It seems like a little bit of an immersion killer if there are many copies of the same companion character running around. Doesn't make much sense from a lore perspective. I was hoping they would make the companions dynamic in appearance and name, while keeping the core of their personalities the same. At least that way it wouldn't look like there are a bunch of Vette clones running around.

On the flip side, I am happy to hear that Bioware is giving their companion characters the full treatment from other Bioware titles. I'm also happy to see evidence of speeders!

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by Anubisan

I have to say I am slightly disappointed to see that the companion characters will be the same for every character of a class. It seems like a little bit of an immersion killer if there are many copies of the same companion character running around. Doesn't make much sense from a lore perspective. I was hoping they would make the companions dynamic in appearance and name, while keeping the core of their personalities the same. At least that way it wouldn't look like there are a bunch of Vette clones running around.

On the flip side, I am happy to hear that Bioware is giving their companion characters the full treatment from other Bioware titles. I'm also happy to see evidence of speeders!

I think that was addressed about groups that have the same companion.. but I don't remember what was said about that specifically.  

As much as we know about the companions currently, I wonder if different companions open up depending on alignment.  NOt sure if that would create another difference between the companion characters available or not.  

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Love that speeders are finally pretty much confirmed. Little disappointing that companions are the same for each class (Only one yet release so not 100% there is only 1 just a guess).

The scenery used in the temples and bases that I've seen just looks incredible. Looks like an awesome game and hope they keep up the work. Last thing we/they want is a fail release after all this :(

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

the scenery look fine, great even.

But god do they fail with the character art. Seeing a guy wearing armor that would no-doubht weigh more than a Medieval Knight's armor. JUMP across the room with a lightsaber. it looks really stupid.

And the jedi in spandex with a brown cape. Also, lame, as heck.

Its so damn frustrating.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

But god do they fail with the character art. Seeing a guy wearing armor that would no-doubht weigh more than a Medieval Knight's armor. JUMP across the room with a lightsaber. it looks really stupid.

Its so damn frustrating.

This is where suspension of disbelief comes in. If lightsabers can work, then we can assume that their armor that looks bulky is really made of lightweight materials. No doubt? No, there's doubt. And if you don't want to use that explanation, then assume that he uses the Force to launch himself across the room.

Plenty of things in MMOs don't make sense in "realistic" terms, yet we accept them because they make the game work. Frankly, I always thought it was unwise for anyone in wartime to not wear some armor. It doesn't matter how quickly you can deflect laser bolts, there's always a stray shot that can get through and some secondary defense would be prudent. It doesn't have to make you invincible, just act as a safety net.

Greed, thanks for the info - both Juggernaut and Marauder sound painful and slightly sexual, but I think I'll go with Marauder (Sith Warrior and Inquisitor will be my Empire classes, but I'll play Trooper and Knight primarily).

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

Its so damn frustrating.

Applying realism expectations to a Sci-fi game... probably a good way to be disappointed.

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134

Seeing a guy wearing armor that would no-doubht weigh more than a Medieval Knight's armor. JUMP across the room with a lightsaber. it looks really stupid.

But lifting an X-wing out of water, that makes sense.

Originally posted by Anubisan

Agreed, is a bit of a immersion killer, this is why I'll find the most hideous unwanted companion in the game and use it.

Seriously though, may sound difficult to do, but ignore the names, race and colour of the companions and look at it's personallity, the players personality changes his companions. This is where the difference will come in, may not always be a difference however, with some people doing the same things, but still it kidna helps. At least for me it does. And the "my morrigan likes me more then yours likes you" conversations should keep me entertained.

Arguments are as easy as a Bangkok hooker, its true.

In my opinion, Darth Maul was more "badass" because he didn't have a shred of armor on. To which one of you will say "And look where that got him." To which I would reply "But lightsabers cut through anything and even if he'd been wearing a Ford F150 he'd still be in the same spot as without it."

My point is, the Star Wars films, whether you liked them or not. Had Jedi and Sith in FAR MORE BADASS attire.

--- Robocop The Sith Lord, isn't "cool".

Thats my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

In my opinion, Darth Maul was more "badass" because he didn't have a shred of armor on. To which one of you will say "And look where that got him." To which I would reply "But lightsabers cut through anything and even if he'd been wearing a Ford F150 he'd still be in the same spot as without it."

My point is, the Star Wars films, whether you liked them or not. Had Jedi and Sith in FAR MORE BADASS attire.

So if Darth Maul was to disrobe (completely) and fight, would this make him more badass?

Originally posted by greed0104

So if Darth Maul was to disrobe (completely) and fight, would this make him more badass?

HILARIOUS.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

HILARIOUS.

Except that in KotOR and even post the books past the movies, Cortosis? is mentioned as something that shuts down lightsabers, causing almost no damage to the weapon/armor.

It's just not common.  It was mentioned quite often in some of the swords in KotOR1/2 since even some Sith/Jedi used them.

Oh, And I completely agree about everyone having the exact same companion.  Granted, from a story standpoint, making 9078439018734189027439018274390182743 different companions would be a bit hard.  The companions having the same names, same looks (Hair color, skin color, eye color, height, weight, is going to look SILLY (even for droids) as the 30 other people next to you is, in my opinion, a terrible design choice.  It would be different if all those things could be chosen when you meet that companion (IE you unlock the content for that companion, and get to choose how they look, as well as be given a random name or choose one) so your companions could look different then everyone elses, and under different names.

Even if you KNOW that the twilek that person has, has the same smuggler story as yours, seeing them with a different name and totally different looks would help that huge story/immersion breaker.  I think having 40 R2-D2s that look the same on the outside, with the same name would be VERY disappointing for a game such as this.

Now if you can customize everything about that companion, then I am all for it.

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Originally posted by Swanea

HILARIOUS.

Except that in KotOR and even post the books past the movies, Cortosis? is mentioned as something that shuts down lightsabers, causing almost no damage to the weapon/armor.

It's just not common.  It was mentioned quite often in some of the swords in KotOR1/2 since even some Sith/Jedi used them.

Oh, And I completely agree about everyone having the exact same companion.  Granted, from a story standpoint, making 9078439018734189027439018274390182743 different companions would be a bit hard.  The companions having the same names, same looks (Hair color, skin color, eye color, height, weight, is going to look SILLY (even for droids) as the 30 other people next to you is, in my opinion, a terrible design choice.  It would be different if all those things could be chosen when you meet that companion (IE you unlock the content for that companion, and get to choose how they look, as well as be given a random name or choose one) so your companions could look different then everyone elses, and under different names.

Even if you KNOW that the twilek that person has, has the same smuggler story as yours, seeing them with a different name and totally different looks would help that huge story/immersion breaker.  I think having 40 R2-D2s that look the same on the outside, with the same name would be VERY disappointing for a game such as this.

Now if you can customize everything about that companion, then I am all for it.

I find it hard to believe the design will allow idential companions in a shared environment. In the story arc yes because it will be instanced.

• safetysafety Member Posts: 219

That clip of the character on a speeder doesn't actually show 'a speeder in user'. In the footage, it's less than a second in length - and it's the only moving vehicle footage in any of the footage released so far. It may be a 'speeder in use' or it might well just be looking at a section of a cut scene in which the character is transported from point A to point B. At the moment though, it would be wrong to use it as conclusive evidence that there are 'mounts'.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by safety

That clip of the character on a speeder doesn't actually show 'a speeder in user'. In the footage, it's less than a second in length - and it's the only moving vehicle footage in any of the footage released so far. It may be a 'speeder in use' or it might well just be looking at a section of a cut scene in which the character is transported from point A to point B. At the moment though, it would be wrong to use it as conclusive evidence that there are 'mounts'.

Speeders have been shown in game as far as screenshots go.  Theres a good chance that this is a hint at speeders being usable.  If you look at the way BioWare has released information in the past, they sometimes mask their information in quick clips that you have to really take notice of to catch.  Thats not to say its confirmed being in or not,  but I bet in one of the next interviews it will be asked about, and they may just give us the information at that time.

• tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372

you think he had those spikes "everywhere"...?

Originally posted by safety

Hey, I said "Speeder shown in use", was the speeder being used? Yes! Did I specifically say it was a player vehicle? No!

Personal opinion, it's a player vehicle.

Originally posted by tokini

you think he had those spikes "everywhere"...?

No, but do you think him fightning naked would be considered Dual Wielding?

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

I have not followed this game as closely as many people, are the companion characters basically going to be pets? 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

Originally posted by MMOman101

I have not followed this game as closely as many people, are the companion characters basically going to be pets? 

If you want to think of them that way. They enhance your story, although you're not required to use them. They also provide things you may want to enhance your playstyle, extra damage, CC, healing and so on.