Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Male Miqo'te & Female Roegadyn?

124»

Comments

• KingKaioKingKaio Member Posts: 48

I'd want to be a male miqo'te as long as they didn't look emasculated.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

My final words on the subject.  As a male I like to play male characters, not all males do I understand however I do.  I do not enjoy playing a female character on an MMO.  Nothing against females I happen to think they're wonderful, however I would like my avatar to be something I can relate to.  I personally enjoy being a male character.

I also enjoy cats, I am a cat person, I have two of them I think they're wonderful.  I would really like to be a male cat in an mmorpg, as a FFXI subscriber and current player I have been a Mithra for 6 years now, I am tired of it, I don't want my character to have to wear skimpy sexy clothing even when shes a paladin.  I dont' want to be hit on by every horny teenager I come across.  I would like to be manly. 

Thank you for reading.

• Ichigo83Ichigo83 Member Posts: 86

DP: Are there NPC like male Miqo’te and female highlanders that you can’t choose as a player?

KI: Yeah, there are. They might appear in certain forms. At this point, I can’t declare that players can’t play as them forever.

Meaning YES Male Miqo'tes will be playable in FFXIV BOOYA told u bitches  and i stated SE would make them playable  when i say i am 90% right on what i stae SE will do I mean i am 90% correct every time so you can bleave what you like it's in black and white  right in front of your face they stated it them self not me this time so HA! 

• Rogue_LeaderRogue_Leader Member Posts: 119

Originally posted by Ichigo83

DP: Are there NPC like male Miqo’te and female highlanders that you can’t choose as a player?

KI: Yeah, there are. They might appear in certain forms. At this point, I can’t declare that players can’t play as them forever.

Meaning YES Male Miqo'tes will be playable in FFXIV BOOYA told u bitches  and i stated SE would make them playable  when i say i am 90% right on what i stae SE will do I mean i am 90% correct every time so you can bleave what you like it's in black and white  right in front of your face they stated it them self not me this time so HA! 

You're reading into that statement a bit.  There's no commitment one way or the other.

• lynxielynxie Member Posts: 103

Originally posted by DillingerEP

Who cares!

You know deep down inside you will want to be a female miqo'te, anyway's. 

Then more then likely, you will look at a female roadegyn, and say "That's one ugly bitch", and then re think about wanting them in the game.

If female Roegadyn are created, then I think they will not look ugly.

This is SE.

Originally posted by Rogue_Leader

You're reading into that statement a bit.  There's no commitment one way or the other.

True.

But such awnser is good to hear for the people who want this, while it doesn't confirm anything, it at least give some hope to hold on.

I am really curious how they will look, and it is confirmed that we at least see NPC's of them, so I am already happy.

• corvenikcorvenik Member Posts: 75

man the only reason anyone wants the male and female version is because in XI they wanted the mithra for their agi stats and the people who were stat whores that dont like playing female characters would complain :P and vice versa with galkas i think they should leave it as is :P

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I'd rather have games that didn't break lore/continuity in order to justify some game play ideal then the opposite.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Originally posted by heerobya

I'd rather have games that didn't break lore/continuity in order to justify some game play ideal then the opposite.

Hmm, that depends.

I think the lore should be made so that it wouldn't affect gameplay options in a negative way, from the start.

This is a tough case with existing IP's though. Anyway, once you have the lore set in place, I don't think you should sacrifice it for gameplay.

I don't think SE let the lore affect the potential races though. They have some other agenda, whether it be announcement of male Miqo'te in the future or not spending resources on it for the time being if there are other things to take care of. 

Lore is just an excuse to hide the real reason, imo :p.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • Rogue_LeaderRogue_Leader Member Posts: 119

Originally posted by Hyanmen

Originally posted by heerobya

Hmm, that depends.

I think the lore should be made so that it wouldn't affect gameplay options in a negative way, from the start.

This is a tough case with existing IP's though. Anyway, once you have the lore set in place, I don't think you should sacrifice it for gameplay.

I don't think SE let the lore affect the potential races though. They have some other agenda, whether it be announcement of male Miqo'te in the future or not spending resources on it for the time being if there are other things to take care of. 

Lore is just an excuse to hide the real reason, imo :p.

In addition we're talking about lore for FFXIV here, not FFXI.  The reason for only males/females in FFXI is pretty much set and accepted.

FFXIV is set in a completely different world.  As such they're not dealing with existing IP.  They decided to design their races based on the appearance of the old races.  Don't be surprised if they have different characteristics.  As they've stated, that may or may not include the requested male/female models.

• WainWain Member Posts: 35

I really don't understand the insisting need for male and female of every race.  FFXI and FFIV are new worlds with new creatures that were designed for it.  The argument that there must be male and female of every race is about as stupid as the arguments for balance in WoW PVP...if you give everybody everything the game becomes less unique and dynamic and interesting.

So you can't play a male cat...so what?  Who cares?  Why is it that MMO players think that every weeaboo-furry desire they've ever had MUST be given to them or the game is somehow unfair?  The fact that you can't play a male cat is INTERESTING.  It gives more color to the world.

In FFXI It sparked TONS of conversation, massive amounts curiosity about lore and the race backgrounds, and helped to inspire players to explore the world they were playing in a little more deeply...and much more importantly, it got a lot of people to try something new (god forbid)...which is playing a different gendered character. 

For those of you doing the "I wanna relate to my character" thing...IT'S A CARTOON CAT-PERSON WHO WIELDS MEDIEVAL WEAPONRY AND CASTS SPELLS AGAINST GIANT CRABS AND RABBITS...YOU HAVE NOTHING IN COMMON...IF YOU THINK YOU DO, YOU NEED HELP...the way you relate to your character is by developing a personality in game...which will then be the part of "you" that's reflected there.  Get over yourselves already!

How many of you wrote Bioware complaining that you couldn't play a man in portal??  Why does Square have to be held to a different standard?...especially when it comes to a game that completely abandons realism in exchange for completely original and unique fantasy settings?  Do you really think that because they give you some options means they have to give you every option always?  That the designers shouldn't have a say in the minor details that make their world original? 

Look at it this way...you reeeeeeeeallllllyy want to play a male cat...you can't.  Get used to it.  Go make your own game, go start your own furry website, or get some friends and do a sit down RPG where everybody can be whatever they want in all situations al the time...this game world is too detailed and thoroughly designed for you.

• DisdenaDisdena Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

Originally posted by Wain

Bioware

portal

I really don't understand the insisting need for male and female of every race.  FFXI and FFIV are new worlds with new creatures that were designed for it.  The argument that there must be male and female of every race is about as stupid as the arguments for balance in WoW PVP...if you give everybody everything the game becomes less unique and dynamic and interesting.

So you can't play a male cat...so what?  Who cares?  Why is it that MMO players think that every weeaboo-furry desire they've ever had MUST be given to them or the game is somehow unfair?  The fact that you can't play a male cat is INTERESTING.  It gives more color to the world.

In FFXI It sparked TONS of conversation, massive amounts curiosity about lore and the race backgrounds, and helped to inspire players to explore the world they were playing in a little more deeply...and much more importantly, it got a lot of people to try something new (god forbid)...which is playing a different gendered character. 

For those of you doing the "I wanna relate to my character" thing...IT'S A CARTOON CAT-PERSON WHO WIELDS MEDIEVAL WEAPONRY AND CASTS SPELLS AGAINST GIANT CRABS AND RABBITS...YOU HAVE NOTHING IN COMMON...IF YOU THINK YOU DO, YOU NEED HELP...the way you relate to your character is by developing a personality in game...which will then be the part of "you" that's reflected there.  Get over yourselves already!

How many of you wrote Bioware complaining that you couldn't play a man in portal??  Why does Square have to be held to a different standard?...especially when it comes to a game that completely abandons realism in exchange for completely original and unique fantasy settings?  Do you really think that because they give you some options means they have to give you every option always?  That the designers shouldn't have a say in the minor details that make their world original? 

Look at it this way...you reeeeeeeeallllllyy want to play a male cat...you can't.  Get used to it.  Go make your own game, go start your own furry website, or get some friends and do a sit down RPG where everybody can be whatever they want in all situations al the time...this game world is too detailed and thoroughly designed for you.

First I don't care if they create the male and female versions, let that be clear. But that doesn't mean I agree with how a company deal with this. (any MMORPG company, not just SE)

I play both male and female (I am female), as long as they fit the role I had in mind (RP, not stats)

An MMORPG is not a single player RPG.

Feeling unique is important to a lot of MMORPG players. How more choises, how more unique we can be. Races and gender is just more choise.

In an MMORPG freedom of choise is more important then 'unique' lore. Which isn't that unique, more MMORPG's have that restriction.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Originally posted by lynxie

In an MMORPG freedom of choise is more important then 'unique' lore. Which isn't that unique, more MMORPG's have that restriction.

Nah a good 'lore' in an MMO clearly stands out among those that don't and has a much longer lifetime of popularity.  Take FFXI for instance, its been holding steady in the top 5 MMOs for 8 yrs now because it has great lore and an amazing story and incredibly intelligent gameplay.  Not to mention a ton of options for any player to do at all levels, not just the cap. 

Then look at most of the crap we've gotten in the years following 2004, no good 'lore' supporting them or if its from a strong IP the game was destroyed from stupid design choices; 'STO' for example.  Or they launch months if not years too soon, 'AoC', 'WAR' and VSoH' only to try and come back which all of those have but there are better interests to pay for now.

Back to FFXI, after 8 yrs they've never had to merge their 32 worlds until recently this yr which were very few.{down to 24}  Yet take a look at all these fandagled MMOs of today that are merged down to 2-4 server within their first month or three and in clearance bins now.

Most MMO devs don't appear to care about producing a quality MMO anymore with great lore and solid gameplay and advanced features.  As long as they get the initial box sales from ya, then herding most to the cap with promises of cookies and pie waiting hoping you'll sub past the first free month then they don't care about ya.  And most of these MMOs have a ton of "freedom of choices" but horrible lore to back it up...

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Originally posted by Khrymson

Nah a good 'lore' in an MMO clearly stands out among those that don't and has a much longer lifetime of popularity.  Take FFXI for instance, its been holding steady in the top 5 MMOs for 8 yrs now because it has great lore and an amazing story and incredibly intelligent gameplay.  Not to mention a ton of options for any player to do at all levels, not just the cap. 

Then look at most of the crap we've gotten in the years following 2004, no good 'lore' supporting them or if its from a strong IP the game was destroyed from stupid design choices; 'STO' for example.  Or they launch months if not years too soon, 'AoC', 'WAR' and VSoH' only to try and come back which all of those have but there are better interests to pay for now.

Back to FFXI, after 8 yrs they've never had to merge their 32 worlds until recently this yr which were very few.{down to 24}  Yet take a look at all these fandagled MMOs of today that are merged down to 2-4 server within their first month or three and in clearance bins now.

Most MMO devs don't appear to care about producing a quality MMO anymore with great lore and solid gameplay and advanced features.  As long as they get the initial box sales from ya, then herding most to the cap with promises of cookies and pie waiting hoping you'll sub past the first free month then they don't care about ya.  And most of these MMOs have a ton of "freedom of choices" but horrible lore to back it up...

I don't personally think that that's the reason.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".

Originally posted by Khrymson

Originally posted by lynxie

The story of the missions was something I really loved about FFXI, and never seen it so involving in other MMORPG's.

So I agree that is important.

But you still can have great lore, with having both genders playable. Yes the lore would be a little different, but a good writer could still make it fun.

• LatellaLatella Member Posts: 189

To the asian community, cat boys are to stay in shoujo mangas and yaoi fanfiction, and in the 99% of the asian mmorpg´s that offer a beast race, the male version will be a big scary beast, galka like, and the female will be a cat girl.

In the games where there´s no beast race but there´s cat mittens/ears/tail rare /fashion items, those will be exclusively available for female characters while males will have exclusive oni/devil horns, and similar items.

I could list you with hundreds of examples but anyone who´s been playing mmo´s for a few years will know that i am right on what i expose.

It does not stop in games however, and pretty much happens the same in manga´s and animes where cat boys are extremely rare and basically only show up in female oriented series, unless it´s a comic relief character.

Asians are BIASED, enormously biased and so bent on stereotypes and cliches,  ( Bull shaped gundam for spain and vega from street fighter anyone? ) and it does not look like it´s gonna change anytime soon.

To them a cat guy, is to put it in simple terms "gay"  and they are not about to spend developing time and resources into making something that they know the biggest part of  their playerbase will ignore.

This was more or less ok 15 years ago but this is plainly getting OLD now.

Rawr.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by Latella

To the asian community, cat boys are to stay in shoujo mangas and yaoi fanfiction, and in the 99% of the asian mmorpg´s that offer a beast race, the male version will be a big scary beast, galka like, and the female will be a cat girl.

In the games where there´s no beast race but there´s cat mittens/ears/tail rare /fashion items, those will be exclusively available for female characters while males will have exclusive oni/devil horns, and similar items.

I could list you with hundreds of examples but anyone who´s been playing mmo´s for a few years will know that i am right on what i expose.

It does not stop in games however, and pretty much happens the same in manga´s and animes where cat boys are extremely rare and basically only show up in female oriented series, unless it´s a comic relief character.

Asians are BIASED, enormously biased and so bent on stereotypes and cliches,  ( Bull shaped gundam for spain and vega from street fighter anyone? ) and it does not look like it´s gonna change anytime soon.

To them a cat guy, is to put it in simple terms "gay"  and they are not about to spend developing time and resources into making something that they know the biggest part of  their playerbase will ignore.

This was more or less ok 15 years ago but this is plainly getting OLD now.

You know, now that I think about it, what you said makes perfect sense. I'm not a huge fan of anime and manga but I have yet to see a catboy. Plenty of catgirls to go around though.

First and foremost, the game is being designed by a predominately Japanese development team and it makes perfect sense why they would exclude certain race/sex combos because of their own cultural preferences.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

Who Know's if enough people ask for Male Miqo'te and female roegayn as a playable race in FFXIV Online SE might add them in at say it at E3 this year that they are playable and shock the world ^^ thats what i hope for ^^ hehe.

The fan art for the female Roegadyn made me think kinky body builder fantasy for some reason, and I just don't see it coming to pass for now.